Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted building 1x11

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22, 01:09 PM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Bikes: Road, hybrid, mountain, motor. I have no shame.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts

OK, so I'm thinking of embarking on a journey of stupidity. I recently acquired this no-name bike, expecting it to wind up being some kind of parts donor or who knows. However, I've discovered that's it's pretty darned light. So I've decided that the titanium straight bar that's been sitting in my tool room for 5 years (was intended on going towards a skibob project that still hasn't happened) needed to go on this thing. So....

Thinking of going 1x11 with this, and actually building my own wheels (because I never have). Currently is sporting mismatched 700c's. Hoping to hunt down used stuff in order to not go too deeply into the hole on this bit of insanity (I already know the finished product with have little to no value, I just want to do this), but will use my grocery money if I have to in order to bring this together (no, I won't. I'm old and fat and like food way too much).

Any advice on what components I should be looking for that are going to give me the best "bang for the buck" is greatly appreciated. It's just going to be a recreational rider, I've afraid my days of whipping a ride to death are over, so top end parts aren't required...

Old 01-11-22, 02:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
It looks like a wally mart type bike maybe a slight notch higher but I probably wouldn't put much into that bike. Maybe just the bare minimum to get it safely functional if not already. If you have all the parts already in the bin then sure go for it but if not I wouldn't spend much money on it.

I wouldn't put that nice Titanium bar on this thing though even if in the parts bin, unless the current bar isn't working I wouldn't go so high end.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-11-22, 02:23 PM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Oh it's happening. I know what it is, and doing it anyway. "Finger meet fan" with eyes wide open. Worst case, I wind up hunting a better frame down the road to swap everything onto. But for now, I'm holding the cash over the toilet bowl with one hand, my other hand on the flush handle....

Just looking for advice on best bang-for-buck parts is all, I don't need anyone to explain to me why I shouldn't do this. I already know.
Old 01-11-22, 02:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by RayHenry
Oh it's happening. I know what it is, and doing it anyway. "Finger meet fan" with eyes wide open. Worst case, I wind up hunting a better frame down the road to swap everything onto. But for now, I'm holding the cash over the toilet bowl with one hand, my other hand on the flush handle....

Just looking for advice on best bang-for-buck parts is all, I don't need anyone to explain to me why I shouldn't do this. I already know.
What do you have in the parts bin? Go with that first.

If you want a good frame that is low cost but has been really a solid bike that I am beyond happy with is the New Albion Privateer. Sure not free but a really good do it all sort of bike. I did buy wheels and grips for it and maybe a couple other things here and there for functionality or comfort but in the end I built it up originally as an 1x7 and now a 1x9 from the parts bin. Granted I had some nice stuff in the bin but it still is perfect for beating up and I can do just about anything on it road and gravel wise it isn't a mountain bike but it isn't meant to be.
Old 01-11-22, 02:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
You are probably going to be replacing everything. It's a pretty cheap bike to begin with and 11 speed parts haven't come that cheap yet.

If you have a rear hub with a freewheel, which it likely is if it's 7 speed, you are going to replace the hub, which for most people means replacing the wheel.

If you have a crankset with riveted chain rings, which is also likely, you will be replacing the crankset with one that can accept a narrow-wide chain ring.

After that probably the easiest thing to do is buy a complete set of Microshift Advent, or Shimano Deore 5100
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-11-22, 03:16 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
After that probably the easiest thing to do is buy a complete set of Microshift Advent, or Shimano Deore 5100
Minor detail, but isn't "Advent" only 10 sp? I think the only Microshift 1x11 options are XLE and XCD.
Old 01-11-22, 03:20 PM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

I should point out that all I intend to use from this thing is the frame and forks. Everything else will be sourced (except the handlebar and pedals which I have already). Just hoping for advice on decent components for the dollar. I'll start by trying to scrounge them form used/take-off, and go new if I ultimately have to. I'll be buying it all basically. Piece by piece. Already working an a eye-catching paint job for it.

I've been out of the game so to speak for a while, so I'm not familiar with what components are reasonable quality without having to get a second mortgage...

Yes, I know that in the end, I'll probably have been better to buy something already built, and would probably have a better bike doing so. That's not really the point. I'm justifying to myself the cost of this endeavor is justified by the learning curve and entertainment value...
Old 01-11-22, 04:48 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Minor detail, but isn't "Advent" only 10 sp? I think the only Microshift 1x11 options are XLE and XCD.
Yes. Shimano started this when they introduced a Deore that was 10x11-42. The RD was functionally identical to the 11 speed versions. just fewer steps in between, and though it could have handled a 46 they didn't sell it that way. Advent goes 11-48

SRAM has so far not been pushing hobbled crap at too many levels like Shimano is so addicted to. SX Eagle is compatible in most respects with X1 Eagle, and yet there are also definite improvements to each part at each level.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-11-22, 05:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
For 11-speed you are in for a new rear wheel and almost certainly will have to cold set the frame to take the wider OLD wheel. Disc brakes are out of the question so you will have to find better calipers. Shimano GRX is a good start for a 1x11 group but you will need cable brake levers and shifters. I agree this is a bit of a silk purse-sow's ear project.
Old 01-11-22, 05:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
I recently acquired this no-name bike, expecting it to wind up being some kind of parts donor or who knows. However, I've discovered that's it's pretty darned light.
How light is pretty darned light?

Perhaps it is just the angle depicted in this photo, but that seat post clamp sure looks weird; is the seat post much narrower than the seat tube?
Old 01-11-22, 08:31 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
For 11-speed you are in for a new rear wheel and almost certainly will have to cold set the frame to take the wider OLD wheel.
On an aluminium frame?
Old 01-11-22, 09:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I should point out that all I intend to use from this thing is the frame and forks. Everything else will be sourced (except the handlebar and pedals which I have already). Just hoping for advice on decent components for the dollar. I'll start by trying to scrounge them form used/take-off, and go new if I ultimately have to. I'll be buying it all basically. Piece by piece. Already working an a eye-catching paint job for it.

I've been out of the game so to speak for a while, so I'm not familiar with what components are reasonable quality without having to get a second mortgage...

Yes, I know that in the end, I'll probably have been better to buy something already built, and would probably have a better bike doing so. That's not really the point. I'm justifying to myself the cost of this endeavor is justified by the learning curve and entertainment value...
Does the term "lipstick on a pig" mean anything to you?

Seriously if you really want to learn you should start with a decent frame, which is the foundation for everything. (like you don;t remodel a house over a bad foundation)

a poor frame could actually limit your learning and options, and if frustration is entertaining, you will get that. Little things like how strait and aligned the frame is, precision of dropouts, can cause lost of added headache

Old 01-11-22, 09:34 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
On an aluminium frame?
Right, which makes the project even more impractical. However, depending on its age, that thing could have 130mm or even 135mm spacing as some early MTB had it before road bikes.
Old 01-12-22, 07:40 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Originally Posted by HillRider
For 11-speed you are in for a new rear wheel and almost certainly will have to cold set the frame to take the wider OLD wheel.
A local guy has a set of 700c wheels with 11 spd cluster and the rear wheel fits. Which is what led me to think of going this route....
Old 01-12-22, 07:40 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Originally Posted by dedhed
On an aluminium frame?
It wouldn't be all that it was cracked up to be....
Old 01-12-22, 07:45 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How light is pretty darned light?
Without putting it on a scale, I'd say maybe 16lbs? Noticeably lighter than my 19 lb skibobs, and it's rocking that antiquated chrome BMX handlebar....

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Perhaps it is just the angle depicted in this photo, but that seat post clamp sure looks weird; is the seat post much narrower than the seat tube?
Post fits tube fine.
Old 01-12-22, 07:52 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Does the term "lipstick on a pig" mean anything to you?
Oh, you met my ex?

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Seriously if you really want to learn you should start with a decent frame, which is the foundation for everything. (like you don;t remodel a house over a bad foundation)
Eh, the learning curve will be building the wheels. If all else fails and the project flops, I've learned how to build a wheel. And while I know what you are saying, the goal is much less to build a perfect bike than it is to have fun putting something different together. As for the foundation, that can be changed later if desired. Or it gets parted out for another build.

On a side not, I know a guy that had an old house located in a zone where he couldn't get a build permit to tear down and rebuild the house. So he replaced all four outer walls one by one, then lifted the house and replaced the foundations. Because while major repairs were allowed, building a complete new house wasn't. That'll be me, throwing more time and money at a project that the end result is worth. The return on investment will be the experience, the fun, and riding it if it actually works out....
Likes For RayHenry:
Old 01-12-22, 08:53 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 734 Posts
RayHenry,
Some folks forgot the answer to "why hop up a Chevy Vega?" It's because you already have a Vega.

I recently did something similar to a low end Al frame bike for SWMBO. She's not much of a rider and 1x7 is fine.

The first thing to regarding costs is; what is the current rear hub? A new wheelset can be The Big Cost item, and I'd look to reusing wheel parts as possible. I had rims but needed hubs and spokes, and the new fork pushed me into mullet brakes.

I will not add up the costs for stripper, abrasives, rattle cans and decals. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 01-12-22 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-12-22, 10:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Oh, you met my ex?

Eh, the learning curve will be building the wheels. If all else fails and the project flops, I've learned how to build a wheel. And while I know what you are saying, the goal is much less to build a perfect bike than it is to have fun putting something different together. As for the foundation, that can be changed later if desired. Or it gets parted out for another build.

On a side not, I know a guy that had an old house located in a zone where he couldn't get a build permit to tear down and rebuild the house. So he replaced all four outer walls one by one, then lifted the house and replaced the foundations. Because while major repairs were allowed, building a complete new house wasn't. That'll be me, throwing more time and money at a project that the end result is worth. The return on investment will be the experience, the fun, and riding it if it actually works out....
here are some links to parks wheel building info..... it is pretty good https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-build-a-wheel

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-12-22, 10:56 AM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
RayHenry,
Some folks forgot the answer to "why hop up a Chevy Vega?" It's because you already have a Vega.
Only worth it if you have a Cosworth Vega

Old 01-12-22, 12:12 PM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

RayHenry,
Right? Sold my 2-door HT 1957 Chev to do my 1962 Dodge Dart 4dr post. Because different. Now I'm not like everyone else out there. More time/money than it was worth? Maybe, if resale was the end goal. Payment has come in the enjoyment of the car. And you know what? I've gotten far more positive attention at shows than a concours restoration '57 Chev.

The first thing to regarding costs is; what is the current rear hub? A new wheelset can be The Big Cost item, and I'd look to reusing wheel parts as possible. I had rims but needed hubs and spokes, and the new fork pushed me into mullet brakes.
Yup. Which is why I'm going to try to hunt used, and only buy new where/if I have to.

It's interesting how much "don't do it" response I have gotten. Similar to my friends trying to talk me out of ditching the '57 Chev in favor of the '62 Dodge. But in the end, they have all come around to my way of thinking....
Old 01-12-22, 12:56 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 734 Posts
My recommendation is a Shimano rs400 36 hole hub.
Old 01-13-22, 11:37 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I've done several similar restorations through the (many, many) years of cycling for myself or my kids. You might look for a used bike that has some/many of the components you desire, use them then resell the remaining hulk (or refurbish it with parts you have already and resell it).