Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 11:07 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
It's okay to walk if you need to, no shame in doing so.. Just try to go a bit further the next time or heck, even zig-zag it if possible.. Eventually you'll be able to pedal up it and that will be a great feeling..

Likes For raqball:
Old 10-13-22, 03:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I feel like so much engineering goes into making it faster to climb hills. From ebike systems to lightweight frames, to the gearing drive train systems.

It's okay to just walk up the hill. If you are pedaling up a hill you're also fighting the rotational force backwards so oftentimes it makes more sense from a physics perspective to just walk up the hill.
I find in practice it has to be a gradient of over 30% before I can maybe walk up it faster than I could cycle. But that's with a lightweight road bike with appropriate gearing. In road biking events I've done over the years I've never seen anyone walking up a hill (while pushing a bike) faster than those cycling, even if the speed difference is small.

Basically if you are physically able to pedal it is invariably quicker than walking with your bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-13-22, 06:19 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I find in practice it has to be a gradient of over 30% before I can maybe walk up it faster than I could cycle. But that's with a lightweight road bike with appropriate gearing. In road biking events I've done over the years I've never seen anyone walking up a hill (while pushing a bike) faster than those cycling, even if the speed difference is small.

Basically if you are physically able to pedal it is invariably quicker than walking with your bike.
Like you, I can't think of a paved climb I've walked; but I do a ton of gravel and snow riding and I end up walking when the tires aren't able to grip the loose stuff.
Old 10-13-22, 08:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Like you, I can't think of a paved climb I've walked; but I do a ton of gravel and snow riding and I end up walking when the tires aren't able to grip the loose stuff.
Agreed that's a different scenario i.e. traction issues. For example it's not uncommon in cyclocross and mtb to walk/run muddy climbs.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-13-22, 11:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Agreed that's a different scenario i.e. traction issues. For example it's not uncommon in cyclocross and mtb to walk/run muddy climbs.
And climbs with tons of small rocks about the size of golf balls that just give you zero traction. Those are even less fun when descending and doing a tight turn and the bike wants to come out from under you.

Old 10-13-22, 11:35 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I feel like so much engineering goes into making it faster to climb hills. From ebike systems to lightweight frames, to the gearing drive train systems.

It's okay to just walk up the hill. If you are pedaling up a hill you're also fighting the rotational force backwards so oftentimes it makes more sense from a physics perspective to just walk up the hill.
How steep?

But even then, walking up a steep incline on your cleats pushing a bike can't be much less arduous than pedalling up that incline. I dare also say the effort to speed ratio is better cycling than pushing the bike.
Old 10-13-22, 12:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I ride platforms exclusively, and I just won't give in to a hill on a road. It's an attitude thing, not practicality. If anything, it's a minor ocd on my part. I definitely pay for it when I ride in 90+ degree weather.
I don't ride without real foot retention because I hate not being able to pull up and worse, the thought that if the grade exceeds X%, physics says in cold, easy to calculate numbers that I can stand with all my weight on the pedal and I'll still go backwards. (There's a steep pitch on a climb from Portland downtown to the Zoo where I "test" my fix gear's toestraps. Good straps, I can do those two or three full body pulls and make it. Poor straps, my foot comes out and I'm walking.)

One of these days, I'll formalize the max grade attainable at steady speed for a given gear inch (GI). (This will assume no slippage and no wheelies. Obviously not always possible.)
Old 10-13-22, 12:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
And climbs with tons of small rocks about the size of golf balls that just give you zero traction. Those are even less fun when descending and doing a tight turn and the bike wants to come out from under you.
But - descending - try a 38c front 35c rear and a 42-12 fix gear. Excellent cantis. Classic English tradition road bike. (My Mooney.) I tried almost your scenario on the Trask River ride with fellow BFers 5 years ago. 3000' down, 18% in many places and 1 1/2" "gravel". Pure blast! Ear to ear grin fun. I'd just plant the the front wheel in the deep "gravel puddles" and plow through. Bike never pulled a surprise on me.

Now that was deep gravel. Big ball bearings on a hard packed dry clay is another story.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-13-22, 02:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't ride without real foot retention because I hate not being able to pull up and worse, the thought that if the grade exceeds X%, physics says in cold, easy to calculate numbers that I can stand with all my weight on the pedal and I'll still go backwards. (There's a steep pitch on a climb from Portland downtown to the Zoo where I "test" my fix gear's toestraps. Good straps, I can do those two or three full body pulls and make it. Poor straps, my foot comes out and I'm walking.)

One of these days, I'll formalize the max grade attainable at steady speed for a given gear inch (GI). (This will assume no slippage and no wheelies. Obviously not always possible.)

I can't wear any foot retention as any "pulling up" against resistance will just destroy my ankles, but I think I climb pretty well. On a road, I never walk unless the bike is broken, and I climb some pretty steep hills. I don't measure grade, though, so I refrain from comparisons.
Old 10-13-22, 02:29 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
It is also OK to stop and catch your breath. I have a 12% grade on one of my routes home that recently did for the first time a couple of weeks ago (500' in about .8 of a mile. I think I calculated that correctly). (Never again, it sucked in 95 degree weather!)

I did it on both my road bike (no bags) and my SUB (sport-utility bike) with 25 pounds of crap loaded in panniers. I stopped three times on the way up on the road bike, four times (I think) on the loaded MTB. No shame at all. Thirty seconds or so to let the heart rate drop, I usually don't even unstraddle the bike.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 10-13-22, 08:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I don't ride without real foot retention because I hate not being able to pull up and worse, the thought that if the grade exceeds X%, physics says in cold, easy to calculate numbers that I can stand with all my weight on the pedal and I'll still go backwards.
Your standing pedal force can exceed your weight, since you can counteract a higher pedal reaction force with an upward pull on the handlebar and not fly backwards (and up) off the bike. (Actually, seated pedal force can exceed body weight and lift your seat off the saddle. This happens to me on steep grades sometimes if I stay fast in a high gear and pull really hard on the bar tops.)

In honor of this thread, today I rode the super steep hill behind the football stadium (I think about 30%) in a 34 inch gear and the thing I was watching for was the front wheel lifting up since I was riding in the saddle.

By the way, the last time I did this route I was running a single speed and the speedometer said I jogged up it at 5 to 5.5 mph. I think I was going a similar speed today when pedaling. So I think 30% may be a good guess at the break even point. It helps to be using platform pedals and running shoes if you are going to hop off and hurry up the hill.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-13-22, 09:49 PM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

It ok to walk, but walking is slow and a symptom of inadequate gearing. You wouldn't have to walk given a low enough granny gear.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 10-14-22, 01:59 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
It is also OK to stop and catch your breath. I have a 12% grade on one of my routes home that recently did for the first time a couple of weeks ago (500' in about .8 of a mile. I think I calculated that correctly). (Never again, it sucked in 95 degree weather!)

I did it on both my road bike (no bags) and my SUB (sport-utility bike) with 25 pounds of crap loaded in panniers. I stopped three times on the way up on the road bike, four times (I think) on the loaded MTB. No shame at all. Thirty seconds or so to let the heart rate drop, I usually don't even unstraddle the bike.
Would be easier to calculate in the metric system ^^
Old 10-14-22, 07:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Tip: if you try this on a big ride, grab a camera when you stop and turn around like you're about to (or just did) take a picture. Saves everyone who passes asking if you're OK.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-14-22, 07:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

You gave me a flashback to The Fox (bikepacking ride/race in Northern Minnesota), on day one, the route hits Heartbreak Hill. This thing is only .7 mile (1.1 km) and just 240 ft (75m) ... but it's a wall that starts at 10% and kicks up to 15%. And we were riding a fully loaded tandem, I est 100 lbs (45kg) of bike & gear. I was huffing and mashing getting up the steepest part of this hill when I looked down to see 180 bpm on my Garmin, I haven't seen my heartrate that high in a long time (not even racing CX!). We had maxed out the gears, so I called a stop and we walked the rig a little distance up the hill to get a little shade to recover my heartrate and find a flatter section to restart the fully loaded tandem.

This hill even has a sign!

The fully loaded tandem

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-14-22, 07:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ofajen
Your standing pedal force can exceed your weight, since you can counteract a higher pedal reaction force with an upward pull on the handlebar and not fly backwards (and up) off the bike. (Actually, seated pedal force can exceed body weight and lift your seat off the saddle. This happens to me on steep grades sometimes if I stay fast in a high gear and pull really hard on the bar tops.)

In honor of this thread, today I rode the super steep hill behind the football stadium (I think about 30%) in a 34 inch gear and the thing I was watching for was the front wheel lifting up since I was riding in the saddle.

By the way, the last time I did this route I was running a single speed and the speedometer said I jogged up it at 5 to 5.5 mph. I think I was going a similar speed today when pedaling. So I think 30% may be a good guess at the break even point. It helps to be using platform pedals and running shoes if you are going to hop off and hurry up the hill.

Otto

To be clear, I'm agreeing with you.

I think standing on the pedals is really the equivalent of running, and your muscles are definitely capable of producing more watts than the simple application of gravity. Not sure how much bracing against the handlebars is responsible for this, I think it's the leaning forward like we tend to do when we run.

Obviously, there has to be a grade where climbing is physically impossible for any given rider or runner. That's why humans invented stairs, ladders, switchbacks, ramps, etc.
Old 10-14-22, 07:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
It ok to walk, but walking is slow and a symptom of inadequate gearing. You wouldn't have to walk given a low enough granny gear.

That's circular reasoning. If you don't mind walking, then the gearing isn't inadequate. If one doesn't want to walk, but "has to", then you have a point about the granny gear.
Old 10-14-22, 07:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

On a very hot day, I will absolutely stop for a rest mid-hill. Risking hyperthermia is just not worth it.
Old 10-14-22, 07:55 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's circular reasoning. If you don't mind walking, then the gearing isn't inadequate. If one doesn't want to walk, but "has to", then you have a point about the granny gear.
If you enjoy walking I'm sure there is a forum for that too. This aint it! :-)
Old 10-14-22, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
If you enjoy walking I'm sure there is a forum for that too. This aint it! :-)

Really? Who sez? Several people including the OP (not me, mind you) have posted that they actually like the break provided by walking the bike.

I don't think "a bigger cog on the wheel makes it easier to pedal uphill" is exactly a newsflash to anyone btw.
Old 10-14-22, 08:53 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Some years ago I did a charity century and in one flat section the headwind was so strong many riders were walking their bikes, like way more walking than riding. I had never seen that before.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-14-22, 09:55 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Tip: if you try this on a big ride, grab a camera when you stop and turn around like you're about to (or just did) take a picture. Saves everyone who passes asking if you're OK.
LOL, that's great advice. But I think you're betraying your age - these days, just hold the phone up and make murmuring sounds. Obviously it was an important call to make, that's why I stopped
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 10-14-22, 10:23 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
It’s ok for ME to finish a hill by walking the rest of the way up. Circumstances dictate appropriate actions.
Old 10-14-22, 10:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

That climb is brutal. Cudos to you sir.

Old 10-14-22, 10:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Now a days, if you stopped to do that a kid might ask, Hey pops, do you need some help how to work that thing.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.