Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question about a Huret Challenger Rear Derailleur

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-23, 10:37 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts

Hi all:

As I've mentioned in other posts, I recently got a '74 Raleigh Competition from a self-styled bike mechanic who, I'm learning, made some odd (or time-saving) choices. Just discovered another one.

The bike has a Huret Challenger rear derailleur rather than the Huret Jubilee that would have come with it. All well and good; the Challenger is kinda beat up but it seems to shift well. HOWEVER unlike every other rear derailleur I've had on any other bike, the derailleur doesn't pivot on the hanger to facilitate wheel removal. I had a devil of a time getting the rear wheel off to replace it. Am I correct that the derailleur should pivot out of the way to remove/replace the wheel, and there's something screwy about how this thing was bolted on? It's my first experience with a Huret derailleur and a Huret dropout.
Old 01-30-23, 12:52 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
It should pivot. Most have a fastening bolt with a locknut or Huret also made an "expanding" mounting bolt. This type of bolt has a set screw inside it that you tighten from the opposite (wheel) side of the dropout. So you'd adjust the bolt for the desired amount of play, then lock it in place using the set screw. On the Challenger and Success, there is an intermediate part that goes between the derailleur knuckle and the dropout/hanger. One variety for Huret dropouts, the other for Campagnolo pattern dropouts. If you are missing any of these parts, I may have them. It is just too cold to go out in the garage and look right now.

Last edited by daka; 01-30-23 at 11:20 AM.
Likes For daka:
Old 01-30-23, 01:48 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
A Trek 710 that I bought at a swap meet had this same issue with it's Huret Duopar rear derailer.

Apparently, the dropout stop adapter piece had broken, requiring that the bolt be tightened hard against the derailer's B-knuckle and the dropout itself.

So, for wheel removal, I have to remove the QR lever entirely, then wiggle the axle out of it's captivity to the bike.
(alternately, I could loosen the 6mm socket-head bolt each time)
This really slows any puncture repair, but the derailer functions and shifts perfectly across the Dura-Ace 7s freewheel.
15 years on and I have yet to find or fabricate the needed repair part, and this is among the best-shifting friction-shift drivetrains I've ever tried.
Likes For dddd:
Old 01-30-23, 04:55 PM
Roypercy

Originally Posted by daka
It should pivot. Most have a fastening bolt with a locknut or Huret also made an "expanding" mounting bolt. This type of bolt has a set screw inside it that you tighten from the opposite (wheel) side of the dropout. So you'd adjust the bolt for the desired amount of play, then lock it in place using the set screw. On the Challenger and Success, there is an intermediate part that goes between the derailleur knuckle and the dropout/hanger. One variety for Huret dropouts, the other for Campagnolo pattern dropouts. If you are missing any of these parts, I may have them. It is just too cold to go out in the garage and look right now.
That's great, I'll try and take a pic of how the derailleur is mounted when I get home from work; I couldn't tell that there was an intermediate part on there,but I'll look closer.
Old 01-30-23, 04:57 PM
Roypercy

Originally Posted by dddd
A Trek 710 that I bought at a swap meet had this same issue with it's Huret Duopar rear derailer.

Apparently, the dropout stop adapter piece had broken, requiring that the bolt be tightened hard against the derailer's B-knuckle and the dropout itself.

So, for wheel removal, I have to remove the QR lever entirely, then wiggle the axle out of it's captivity to the bike.
(alternately, I could loosen the 6mm socket-head bolt each time)
This really slows any puncture repair, but the derailer functions and shifts perfectly across the Dura-Ace 7s freewheel.
15 years on and I have yet to find or fabricate the needed repair part, and this is among the best-shifting friction-shift drivetrains I've ever tried.
That sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with! I had to remove the QR skewer and wiggle the rear wheel out - it helped if I deflated the tire. It looks to me like the derailleur is bolted directly to the dropout.