Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How many bikes do you need if you're not car-centric?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 12:59 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've noticed that many people on this forum seem to have a number of bikes, depending on their interests and/or weather conditions. Or maybe it's just a mass personality disorder. Some people have a winter beater bike, and a nicer bike for good weather; others have a garage full of bikes simply because they like things with two wheels.

So how many bikes are actually needed to live a car-free or car-lite life?

Answers will vary, I imagine, but I only have a single bike. I tried to keep a beater around for bad weather, but I quickly discovered that I'd much rather just ride the nice bike all the time and replace components as needed. I just can't bring myself to ride a crappy bike if you've got a nice one right there in front of you. I also only ride for a couple of purposes: riding around town, and touring. It's not like I'm trying to commute and do roadie-type club rides on the weekends as well, so a good touring bike pretty much satisfies all my requirements.
Old 01-05-11, 07:07 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a winter beater (actually 1 and 2 spares I picked up since it was cheaper to buy old bikes than replace components on my 20 year old huffy), a 3 season commuter, and then a spare I'm going to turn into a 2nd 3 season commuter. My winter beater just isn't fun to ride in the dry, and I don't want to switch out the studded tires if I don't have to.

I could get away with 1 bike and be a little more meticulous about maintenance and cleaning in the winter, but I'm not. Although I will possibly replace components on my 2 spares (identical) since they seem to be better suited for winter commuting (no steel rims, and better brakes). Although at some point the salt will eat the frames.

I guess the short answer to your question is that I would consider 2 bikes to be the minimum ideal number. Since bikes to break and you can't rent one while you're repairing the other one, it's good to have a spare.
Old 01-05-11, 07:40 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Need? One.

Want? Many.

I've got three.
Old 01-05-11, 07:56 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I had my way, I'd have about seven or eight, all MTB, all full suss -- except for the Surly Big Dummy and the Kona Ute.

But I don't get my way, so I have one, and it's a sweetheart.
Old 01-05-11, 09:48 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want the absolute minimum, it's zero.
For me, it works to have just one. If I were unable to borrow my friend's bike, I'd want to have two.
Old 01-05-11, 09:59 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think most everybody could get away with just one, but wheres the fun in that? If you count unbuilt up frames that have spent most their lives in boxes i have over 40 bikes, but i only have three that get ridden on a regular basis.
Old 01-05-11, 10:42 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I own five bikes, three of them are used for 95% of the miles that I ride.

In order of use the three bikes are:

1) Everyday commuter bike - set up with racks, fenders, generator hub etc.

2) Utility bike - very similar setup to the commuter, with the addition of a trailer hitch for groceries, hardware store etc. Serves as a backup to the commuter bike in case there is an issue with that, and I need to get to work.

3) Fun, weekend bike - totally impractical recreational bike - pretty and fast.

FWIW the other two bikes are a folding bike that I use when travelling, and a tandem which doesn't get a lot of miles.

I could probably survive OK with just one bike, but I don't see the reason. In terms of storage space, my fleet takes up less space than 1 automobile.
In terms of cost, either purchase or maintenence, my fleet is far less expensive than an automobile.
In terms of reliability, my fleet is far more reliable than any automobile given the redundancy of the options that I have.

I could get by with fewer bikes, but why?
Old 01-05-11, 10:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have a transportation bike (built on a hardtail MTB frame) and two "hobby" bikes--a road bike and a mountain bike. I also have a second utility bike to loan to a friend.

How many do I need? Just the transportation bike, which is also adequate for most road riding and mountain biking.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-05-11, 11:30 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
I actually thought of that.. then forgot to say it.
Old 01-05-11, 12:10 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
Blasphemous as it may sound, you don't need ANY bikes "to live a car-free or car-lite life" - but at least one sure helps.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-05-11, 02:08 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think I need n+1 , but it ain't going to happen. Being in my second childhood, I see no reason to distinguish between my wants and my needs anymore.
Old 01-05-11, 03:08 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I once knew a lady who had two Jaguars. She said that was the bare minimum for her as one was always in the shop. The same goes with bikes. If I have to be to work in fifteen minutes and I discover I have a punctured tire, it sure is nice to be able to grab another one.
Old 01-05-11, 03:22 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I once knew a lady who had two Jaguars. She said that was the bare minimum for her as one was always in the shop. The same goes with bikes. If I have to be to work in fifteen minutes and I discover I have a punctured tire, it sure is nice to be able to grab another one.
+1 couldn't agree more, what sucks though is when you get two flats on two different bikes, has happened to me once i ended up riding my G/F schwinn to work
Old 01-05-11, 03:31 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will answer the question phrased as "how many do you *optimally* need if you're not car-centric?"

The answer then in my opinion is 2 primary / secondary bikes. Two bikes can cover a wide range of needs and back each other up in case one fails. Of course, having extra recreational bikes or whatever suits your fancy can be optimal if it leads to extra enjoyment!

I'm finding great success with one city utility bike, one folding bike, and am tacking on some recreational bikes next year.

The city utility bike is the all-rounder, a folder fills in for transit and travel plus can be used if your primary was broken down.

I'm buying an entry level recumbent next year for long distance rides to music festivals and things of the sort
Old 01-05-11, 03:54 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One has to do in winter. I've got two bicycles but I won't ride one of them in winter. Occasionally I wonder what would be the best bicycle for me if I could have only one. It turns out it isn't possible. I prefer small wheels on pavement in good weather and I prefer twenty-six inch wheels to ride over snow. This means I need two bicycles or just keep one and not like it as much.

I'll be selling the small wheel bicycle soon because I'm moving. Until I live in an area without snow I'll keep a big wheel bicycle as my only ride.
Old 01-05-11, 04:20 PM
Carley P.

Bikes: 2013 Niner EMD (29er), 2012 Motobecane New Fantom Cross (Cyclocross), Vintage Schwinn Voyegeur set up in city mode w/ wald basket (Commuting), and a nashbar road frame w/ Shimano 600 components (wife's bike).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two bikes, (or four, if you count my girlfriend's bikes).

One is a mid-90's Trek 2100 with a rack and panniers, and one is a cheaper fixed gear conversion. I usually use the fixed gear in wet conditions since it has a little more braking power when it's brake pads get wet, (meaning I can use my legs to stop too).

I too like to have two bikes just incase something breaks on my main bike and I need another bike to use for the week or so. I guess I could use one of my girlfriend's bikes though, but they're really too small for me to be comfortable on.
Old 01-05-11, 05:01 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I've noticed that many people on this forum seem to have a number of bikes, depending on their interests and/or weather conditions. Or maybe it's just a mass personality disorder. Some people have a winter beater bike, and a nicer bike for good weather; others have a garage full of bikes simply because they like things with two wheels.

I did it with one nice road bike plus a BOB Yak trailer for large loads and extra wheels for snow days with Vittoria 28mm cyclocross tires mounted.
Old 01-05-11, 05:09 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Obviously the absolute minimum is none, as others have said. I did fine with one for a long time, but thinking back, I did ride my wife's occasionally.
Old 01-05-11, 06:38 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Blasphemous as it may sound, you don't need ANY bikes "to live a car-free or car-lite life" - but at least one sure helps.
Yup. I was car-free for six years before I rediscovered bikes.

Five years later, I have four. I only need my one good all-rounder, but the other three make life fun and interesting.
Old 01-05-11, 07:05 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
When I was car free I had two. Bike number one was my daily rider and was set up for grocery runs and getting to and from work. That happens to have been a Raleigh Sports. My other bike was a 15 speed "tour" bike. It had been with me longer than the Raleigh, I used it for longer weekend rides and some weekend touring. Current crop of bikes is excessive, but I have the space, the money and I ain't hurtin' nobody. I actually don't know how many are out there, but according to the HBC (head bean counter) there are 26 and she is usually right.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-05-11, 10:34 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
Smarty pants.
Old 01-05-11, 11:05 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I figure I need at least two bikes. However, I have more.

I have a winter bike which is a reconfigured Bianchi hybrid, a Bianchi Volpe for summer commuting and longer rides, a 1982 Fuji road bike for summer commuting and backup to the Volpe. I rode the Fuji to work this cold winter morning.

As well, I have a 1972 Fuji Special Road Racer which I built up, but which doesn't fit me... I build up the wheels for this one. I may give it to my son. I also have an Mercier circa 1972 which doesn't have any wheels at presents, seatpost and a few other things. I like working on bikes.

Old 01-06-11, 02:22 AM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have one, I need two. Hopefully in a couple of months I'll be able to get my Raleigh mountain bike together.
Old 01-06-11, 02:59 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
Two is a bare minimum, IMO. I've gotten by with one but like Ekdog pointed out it's pretty bad when your one goes down and you can't get it running the same day. (And my bikes are more reliable than Jaguars.) My favorite one bike solution is probably a CX bike with two wheelsets. I've done pretty well with a rigid MTB and two wheelsets also. Having two wheelsets is the next best thing to having two bikes.

I'd ideally have 10 for all the different cycling styles I enjoy.

Classic road bike
Modern road bike
CX bike
Rigid MTB
Full Suspension MTB
Recumbent
Track bike
Cruiser
Tandem

I forget what the other one was, maybe a Bike Friday folder...

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-06-11 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 03:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
I think the beater bike concept really starts to make sense when you've got a "main bike" that has $75 chain, $400 crank, $300 rear derailer on it. Don't wanna be wearing out bits like that in the rain and grime. Figure bikes with parts like that on probably start at around $4000 complete and ask how many people would be OK with chaining $4000 up to a staple rack out front of the grocery store?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.