Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 05:22 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every batch of tires is different, some smaller than others. On a big rim with a smaller made tire, you get the problem you're facing. I've had the opposite, a slightly over sized tire on a somewhat smaller rim. The tire just blew off with any sort of pressure in the tube.

Technique is a big help on tight fits.

If it's absolutely a no-go, I recommend Vittoria Rando tires, if you're not overly heavy. I'm 225 and ride at the max PSI for 32's.
They're a great compromise between Marathon Plus, which are a ridiculous tire, and something more performance oriented, like gatorskins. The Pro version are lighter, but have a lower max PSI still, which is an issue if you're over 200lbs or like over-inflated tires.
Old 01-07-11, 08:43 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by unixd0od
I suggest you read what I'm actually complaining about.
Sounds more like you're not interested in hearing anything other than what you want to hear.
Old 01-07-11, 10:05 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hello fellow Raincouverite!

I have good experience with Specialized All Condition. They are tough and are easy to put on (at initial use anyways). Haven't had a flat with them. Rolls real nice.
Also another good one for the money is Kenda Kwest. It has a aramid layer. Dupont calls it Kevlar and charge you $$ for the use of that name. Having said that, they aren't the friendliest to put on. But tough as heck. I ride on the CVG and cross through Burnaby's industrial roads. Still hold up fine.
Old 01-07-11, 11:07 PM
Mardmakarm

Bikes: Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now i'm using Kenda Kwick Trax(700x32c), It's very good tires beside pebbles' problem.It flat only once by a long sharp steel wire(which most tires will flatted against it.)

Kenda Kwick Trax by Madanial, on Flickr
Old 01-08-11, 08:53 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Me: Gatorskins suck, they're way too hard to put on a rim and I really struggle to do it. Is there a decent tire that's easier to put on/take off?
Anyone who's been riding for more than a few years has run into a tire that is extremely tight going on. For me it was Michelin Carbons. Oh Lord those were absolutely in-freaking-sane. I swore off Michelins for many years. But as others have stated, it was likely a "bad batch" that just fit tighter than usual. I also had a set of Conti 3000's that wore very poorly, <800 miles and threads were showing through all around on both tires. I didn't quit all Conti's. I was pissed cuz those were expensive. But I've been on Conti 4-Seasons for a few years now and have had good experiences.

BTW, the Spec Armadillos fall into the same category as Gatorskins. Both are built to stand up to many miles and are more resistant to puncture, hence their catchy names. I would agree that Marathons would be a good candidate for your needs too. They are heavier tires for a reason.
Old 01-08-11, 09:01 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Contintal tires in general are notoriously difficult to mount. I also find any folding tire is extremely hard to mount when it is brand new. Back to the OP, I think Specialized Armadillo Skins are Great Tires. I rock the Spec. Infinity (s) at a 700x32 with Flackjack Technology. I haven't gotten a puncture or even a slow leak yet. The tread pattern is probably the best I have ridden for dealing with rain and slightly loose soil around town. Other than that, I love my Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase but for over 40 dollar a tire, you should love them.
Old 01-08-11, 09:38 AM
echo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mardmakarm
Now i'm using Kenda Kwick Trax(700x32c), It's very good tires beside pebbles' problem.It flat only once by a long sharp steel wire(which most tires will flatted against it.)

Kenda Kwick Trax by Madanial, on Flickr
If it's one thing that drives me crazy it's pebbles in my tires! (I'm serious)
Old 01-08-11, 09:51 AM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echo2011
If it's one thing that drives me crazy it's pebbles in my tires! (I'm serious)
Add close fitting fenders and my calm gets damaged.
Old 01-08-11, 10:15 AM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
Other than that, I love my Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase but for over 40 dollar a tire, you should love them.
I've the opposite feeling for the race lite hardcases. Harsh riding, heavy, terrible wet traction, and iffy flat protection. I had a large pebble punch through one, the tread separate from the casing of two tires (LBS replaced these thankfully,) and they got chewed apart on a limestone trail in under 500 miles.

They're way, way over priced IMO. They're alright for road use if it's dry though, but it's not hard (and cheaper) to do better.
Old 01-08-11, 07:02 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vittoria Randonneur Hypers are tough, ride nicely, and aren't too expensive. The reflective sidewalls really work. I'm super pleased with mine.
Old 01-09-11, 10:39 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I do admit, I have **** tire levers, but I've used tires in the past (Specialized Mondo's) that I could finish putting back on with my hands no problem; only needing a tire lever to get started. I just can't do that with the Gatorskins at all.?
My recommendation is for Pyramid metal tire levers in your case. Plastic lever are **** for the most part. The Pyramids come in 3s(www.bikepartsusa.com ), they're cheap and the burrs along the edges can be smoothed out w/a file or sandpaper. To mount the SMPs or any other highly flat-resistant tire for that matter it's best to invest in a Kool-Stop Tire Jack. https://www.bikepartsplace.com/discou...ver-tire-jack/ There're other places online where they can be purchased cheaper, but I posted this website so you could see what one looked like. I carried mine w/my tool-kit until the bead seated. Now it's in my toolbox. And they are amazing.

Usually, if one can't finish the re-mount w/fingers it'd because the tire has a very stiff bead. That's the case w/most flat resistant tires.
Old 01-09-11, 11:27 AM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- Easy to put on/take off with cold, dirty, wet hands
Suggestions?
Carry a set of disposable gloves with your spare tube. Won't help you get the tire on any better but at least takes the dirty and maybe some of the cold wet part out of the equation.

Can't help with a tire suggestion as I'm a gaterskin guy, am very happy with puncture resistance, and get them on easily using my hands. (700X28 wire bead - I have noticed some rims are tighter using the same tire, so maybe that is why your experience is different)

If you flat frequently and can't find the cause change your rim tape to the Velox tape if that's not what you are using.
Old 01-09-11, 11:32 AM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have personally used a lot of different commuting / city / touring tires over the last few years. Kenda Kwest, Continental Contact, Specialized Infinity, Bontrager Sattelite Plus, and a bootload of Schwalbe:

I've owned and used just about every Schwalbe Marathon they make, except the new "expedition" tires like the extreme. Have also used the Big Apple and Kojak. Out of them all, the Supreme was my favourite of the lot. Neither the plus nor the supreme ever gave any trouble with flats, but the Supreme is a nice riding tire with great weight for its protection, whereas the plus is very protective, but chunky and I find it a bit harsh. The Plus was definitely the tire of choice for my cargo bike, but for a sportier ride i'd prefer the Supreme. This tire also has pretty good wet weather grip, in Edmonton I was using a 20" rear supreme with a 20" front marathon winter, and the supreme would hold grip well over wet roads and packed snow, only losing out to pure ice.
Old 01-09-11, 11:45 AM
texas2wheel
Banned.

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT5, Fetish Cycles Fixation MTB, Schwinn Pro Stock 3 24" BMX, 70's Schwinn single speed beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Kenda Kwik Rollers have been great for me. I've run over glass and all other types of debris, and never a flat.
Old 01-09-11, 12:10 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
+1 on the Michelin City. I have used them with no problems for commuting and riding around town. Liked them enough to also put them on my daughters bike. Also can't beat the price, it's not hard to find them for about $14 a tire.
Old 01-09-11, 12:43 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ive been happy using the standard Marathon for everyday commuting and for touring on and off road.
Mean distance between flats is about 2000miles but I live in a place with lots of flint and that is sharper than a razor.
The Plus is more resistant, heavier, stodgier and harder to mount.
The new (green) marathon is inbetween the two.
Old 01-09-11, 10:07 PM
HappyStuffing
6 miles per taco, w00t!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest you read what I'm actually complaining about.

Me: Gatorskins suck, they're way too hard to put on a rim and I really struggle to do it. Is there a decent tire that's easier to put on/take off?

You: Just don't get flats.

But thanks for playing!
UnixD0od,

mihlbach has very valid points and i do feel he is trying to help you. Nevertheless, you seem to be rather disgrunteld about people not agreeing with your petty bickering. Why bother posting if you are going to be argumentative?

Furthermore, my personal experience coincides with Mihlbach, and that is Gatorskins are fantastic tires. I have them on my bike right now. They were a only marginally harder to put on the first time, and the second time (my one and only flat in a year) i was able to slip them on without any tools.

You seem like a spoiled kid who just wants everything to be your way. Unfortunately for you, there is no such thing as the perfect tire. Like Mihlbach said, the tire itself is not your problem. YOU are the problem. What are you doing that the rest of us satisfied Conti Gatorskin users aren't? I suggest you start by getting proper tire levers. What are you using now? A flathead screwdriver?
Old 01-09-11, 10:16 PM
HappyStuffing
6 miles per taco, w00t!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
I have Panaracer RiBMo's on my bike that I like. Can't say they are easy on or off since I haven't had to do it yet and I've had them for about a year.
I've used Panaracer RiBMo's as well. They are excellent tires. Good thick tread, though not very soft but i've never had a flat with those tires . . blows my mind. They were, howerver, a pain to put on. I bought the folding version. But i'll take hard-to-put-on over getting a flat in inconvenient places any day.
Old 01-09-11, 10:28 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Holy **** this man is a genius.

https://wallbike.com/blog/2010/05/24/...marathon-plus/

No matter what new tires I decide on, I'm getting some god damned toe straps to carry in my bag with me.
Mounting a Marathon Plus w/o levers???
I am *impressed*!
Old 01-09-11, 11:47 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Mounting a Marathon Plus w/o levers???
I am *impressed*!
Wow. I agree. No levers and no pinch flats. That's what comes of being a fulltime bicycle mechanic. I learned a ton just now. On my next set of SMPs I'm trying this procedure.
Old 01-11-11, 01:28 PM
SoCalSwami

Bikes: Giant Seek 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While the Bontrage Race Light Hardcase don't sounds appropriate for the OP (too slick in wet conditions?), I found a seller on ebay listing them at $10 per tire, and with my $10 ebay bucks, I ended up paying $24.49 for 2 tires.

Thanks to all for the advice in this thread.

seller: arcadianshop

(since I'm new here, pls let me know if I'm breaking any forum rules posting an ebay link)

~Mike
Old 01-17-11, 06:02 PM
inja

Bikes: Felt F55, Leader bike Road, Trek 2100(composite), Haro MTB, Cannondale m800, Devinci mtb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second mihlbach.
Conti Gator's do me fine.
Old 01-17-11, 06:34 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm using Continental Tour Ride's on my road bike. They've been good so far for not having flats, easy to go on and not pricey.
Old 01-17-11, 07:31 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It sounds like you have road debris to deal with, so my recommendations aren't good for you, but for people who, like me, really don't have debris to deal with, I've been riding just the old standard Marathons. They're cheap and they last; mine now have about 5500 miles on them, the front still looks almost new and the rear looks perhaps 1/2 worn out. I think I paid $25 each for them.
Old 01-17-11, 07:39 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commute on 700x32mm Panaracer Pasela TGs.

If gatorskins are too hard to get on w/o a lever, try another tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.