Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Civia Front Loader Cargo Bike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

New Civia Front Loader Cargo Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 10:51 AM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up New Civia Front Loader Cargo Bike

Per their web site Civia has announced a new steel frame front loader cargo bike, the Halsted. Classic small front wheel configuration like a lot of front loader bikes but with a load platform above the wheel rather than a huge basket.

From the top photo they may be offering a basket which fits the platform.

https://civiacycles.com/bikes/halsted/

It looks to me like this could easily be combined with a Xtracycle kit to give a nice cargo bike with front and rear load capability.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 12-28-10, 09:57 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The Civia models I've looked into have all been disappointing. They look good, but they are slow and heavy with poor attention to detail. To me they seem like bikes designed by an architect. Pleasant to the eye, but not impressive from the saddle. Surly's bikes are the opposite - not that amazing to look at, but from the saddle you know guys that actually ride bikes a ton designed them.

My friends own two designer bikes from Holland. They are uber proud of how they look and all the little design elements that are built in. I took one for a spin and it was slow, heavy, uncomfortable [poorly designed stiff frame] and handling was nothing special. I took it back and commented that it was an expensive poorly performing bicycle which they argued fiercely, but every time I go to their house I check those bikes out and the dust gets thicker and thicker on them.
Old 12-28-10, 12:57 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A local shop here is bringing a bunch in this coming spring, i'll let you know how they are if there's no comprehensive knowledge by that time

I like the price considering the usual tag on a cycle truck, the parts are decent enough. Civia usually isn't very reasonably priced, so this is a nice change. It only comes in one size, which isn't particularly good for a lot of people, but I suppose it will probably fit most average sized men, which is most cyclists right away (this is a sad statement on its own)

Having a front loading bike like one of these is great for things where you need the cargo to stay upright and where floor space beats out total weight capacity (like carrying pizzas, plants, boxes of recycling, etc). Outright deck space is the big benefit of front loaders like this, to me. That's why I like my Globe Live so much, I can just take my open top recycling box and scoot it to the depot without anything spilling out or the need to secure / seal it madly. Carrying my fire dancing fuel without it spilling because it tipped over is a snap. Cake doesn't do the sideways shuffle either

Cycle trucks are nice in some ways. I have a bike right now with the same weight capacity as the Halsted, a Globe Live 2. But the basket on the Live is fork mounted and the load affects the handling somewhat. While it isn't bad at all on this bike, having the load off the fork altogether means the handling should be quite good in general if the bike is designed well. Plus, it shouldn't flop over if the cargo isn't nearly centered. And the floor space on the Halsted rack is undoubtedly bigger than that on my Globe Live.

On the other hand, the Live is a much more gorgeous bike, also has great features, and is fun to ride. I would probably pick the Live again, unless my cargo needs became more hardcore, in which case the Halsted would have some extra merit for sure.

I think its alright so far. Initial impression makes me think it could be a good stop gap in price between a worksman cycle truck, and a more artisinal offering like an Ahearne.

Not sure about Civia as a brand, haven't seen many of them, and have only tried out one so far (Hyland). It wasn't incredible, it wasn't horrendous either. I thought it was a bit expensive for what it was, but it wasn't the worst thing i've ever seen.

Vik, which ones did you try? What sorts of things did Civia miss out on, detail wise?
Old 12-28-10, 01:25 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
For a well proven work bike (over 100 years in production !) consider a Worksman Low Gravity bike.

https://worksmancycles.aitrk.com/shop.../indbikes.html

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 01-04-11, 06:08 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
Per their web site Civia has announced a new steel frame front loader cargo bike, the Halsted. Classic small front wheel configuration like a lot of front loader bikes but with a load platform above the wheel rather than a huge basket.

From the top photo they may be offering a basket which fits the platform.

https://civiacycles.com/bikes/halsted/

It looks to me like this could easily be combined with a Xtracycle kit to give a nice cargo bike with front and rear load capability.
This is a short bike, where would you put an Xtracycle kit? Am I looking at a wrong bike? Also, the only use I can for this is pizza delivery. I wouldn't want all my load in the front. It needs a tough, integrated rear rack to make any sense to me.
Old 01-05-11, 12:09 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
This is a short bike, where would you put an Xtracycle kit? Am I looking at a wrong bike? Also, the only use I can for this is pizza delivery. I wouldn't want all my load in the front. It needs a tough, integrated rear rack to make any sense to me.
A full Xtracycle kit turns a normal wheelbase bike into a longtail as it includes a bolt on rear frame assembly. It fits most frames with 135mm dropout width.

Heavy front load bicycles are nothing new. French Porteur bikes routinely carried up to about 110 pounds on front racks. It does require different front end geometry for reasonable handling compared to a normal bike. Basically reduced trail and a fairly steep head angle. Front loading at least allows you to watch your cargo while riding.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 01-07-11, 12:23 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Silly Civia! They should have put a disc brake on the rear as-well.
Old 01-07-11, 06:40 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A full Xtracycle kit turns a normal wheelbase bike into a longtail as it includes a bolt on rear frame assembly. It fits most frames with 135mm dropout width.

Heavy front load bicycles are nothing new. French Porteur bikes routinely carried up to about 110 pounds on front racks. It does require different front end geometry for reasonable handling compared to a normal bike. Basically reduced trail and a fairly steep head angle. Front loading at least allows you to watch your cargo while riding.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you: I thought you meant the longtail rack kit, while you meant the Free Radical "extension", sorry about that. Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 05-19-11, 11:29 AM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, a quick update on this! I went to the shop today and tried the bike out - long story short, I liked it enough to buy one. So, expect a short term review soon!
Old 05-20-11, 01:40 PM
soappedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "model" riding the bike has a Surly jersey on, wonder if he owns a Big Dummy
Old 05-20-11, 04:58 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Abneycat
Hey, a quick update on this! I went to the shop today and tried the bike out - long story short, I liked it enough to buy one. So, expect a short term review soon!
Cool! Looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by soappedaler
The "model" riding the bike has a Surly jersey on, wonder if he owns a Big Dummy
LOL.
Old 05-23-11, 07:42 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I want one. It will be easy to mount a fairing on the front end. 'Course it will need a bigger chainring.

Thank you for posting.

Question of the day: What do you think will happen to the car if you get doored or right hooked riding this bike?

I know the answer, I want to see if anyone can guess.
Old 05-23-11, 03:00 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Psst. It had to happen eventually. It just did

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Civia-Cycles/76537914685#!/media/set/?set=a.10150203296979686.328751.76537914685
Old 05-23-11, 05:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Van der Tuin at HPM in Eugene built some of those
20 26" frame loaded bikes many years ago,
hope he sorted out the front end shimmy on his..
put a hydraulic steering dampner to control that.

Civia, another QBP Import label..

I noted a Kickstand made to grip the current, External bearing cup,
I don't get it, strangely enough there was no thought
to instead using the bolts already holding the sliding dropout on the frame...
Pletcher already makes a KS that fits to the chainstay.

Or a common .. kickstand plate chainstay bridge would have made it simpler.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-23-11 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-23-11, 06:25 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a normal kickstand plate on the Halsted, and on all of Civia's bikes save for the Hyland. As for why the Hyland was designed with the kickstand as such, I don't know.

The HPM Express is a pretty nice looking bike too. The Halsted actually shimmies a little if you take your hands off the bars completely, I experienced it personally and confirmed that with another owner. You can actually ride the bike no-hands and still stay in control, it's just a bit weird to watch the steering not wanting to settle in center.

The handling is one of the things I'm not 100% pleased with on the Halsted, but it isn't horrible. I'll provide an update soon, am doing a short term review.
Old 05-23-11, 07:15 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about a steering damper/lock to prevent it from flopping over while loading and at slow speed.
Old 06-12-11, 03:10 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
It looks like a Civia front loader has been recalled, I am not sure if this is the same model we've been discussing:

https://www.newyorkinjurynews.com/201...106116530.html

Quote:
"....The product recall was issued after discovering that the bicycle rack’s mounting bracket can crack or break, which can cause the rack to fall onto the bicycle’s front wheel, posing a fall hazard to the consumer.
“This recall involves Civia Loring bicycle racks. They have black aluminum tubing with bamboo panels and mount to the bicycle’s front fork. The word ‘Civia’ is printed on the rack’s side panels,” reported the CPSC..."
Old 06-16-11, 09:49 AM
coldbike
The wizard of ...

Bikes: single speed Krampus, burley piccolo, salsa mukluk ti, CETMA cargo bike, M5 Shockproof,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The recall was on a different bike.
I test rode a Halsted last week and I quite liked it. It rides a bit like a BMX, it is a tiny bit jittery and corners quickly. It doesn't hold much by my standards (I ride a CETMA), but if I could get out of the habit of carrying so much, I would seriously consider adding one to my collection. Finny wanted to buy one on the spot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2011-06-02 13-12-54 1200399.jpg (100.0 KB, 21 views)