Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Valentine to O'Neill Monster Day 20

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 08:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Oh man. What a day. Back to back centuries. 112 miles total but today was really flat. BUT, the wind was still a total menace. I really can't adequately explain how tough today was. I've ridden centuries with 10,000' of climbing faster than what I rode today.

I rode the first 25 miles today in a little over 2 hours and was proud of it!!!! At times I was doing 8-9 mph on the flats into howling winds. I had hoped to do 92 miles to Atkinson but after 25 miles that just didn't seem realistic. Plus I got a later start than normal. I was pretty whipped last night so I intentionally avoided doing all the prep needed for today's ride. Plus I needed to clean my bike, lube everything, retape my bars and some other odds and ends.

What worked really well today was there were "communities" (names on a map) about every 10-15 miles apart. So, we just set a goal of getting to the next little town. The other thing that helped was a huge dose of Coca Cola at mile 45 plus a Mountain Dew at mile 60. I have to watch my caffeine intake but I was feeling pretty irritable and thirsty at mile 45 so I rolled the dice. Wow, the caffeine and sugar kicked in and that was a huge boost. In fact at mile 80 I knew I'd blow past my original target and just keep going. Anyway, I've done a lot of long rides but with having to dig deep, fight the mental challenges I feel really pumped about today's ride. Now I'll probably be awake all night with all the caffeine!!

The other thing that helped was a slight saddle adjustment. I was having "tooth ache" type of pain in one sit bone. I was having to stand about every half mile just to get relief. I thought about what might be causing it for several days. I've ridden this setup for several years and have done lots of 6 hour rides without issues. I just chalked it up to 20 days on the bike. At about 60 miles I moved the saddle back a couple millimeters and also dropped the nose a couple MM's. When I got back on the saddle it was amazing. It was extremely comfortable. I'm amazed at how such a slight change could make that much difference. Boy am I lucky on that one.

I asked locals about the winds and they said it's normally really calm around here. I've been in it for 3 days. I've learned a lot about riding in the wind. The biggest thing is to just take what it gives you. Use easier gears and spin and do not wear yourself out. Just ride at a pace you can sustain for a long time. Heck, that sounds an awful lot like climbing hills!!!

Folks have been extremely friendly and curious about my trip. I've had lots of friendly folks ask lots of questions. I've had a lot of people tell me my tail lights are very visible and I'm smart to use those even during the day.

I probably had the best tasting meal tonight of the whole trip (except for Lucci's in Boise). Tender Prime Rib, salad, loaded baked potato, spaghetti and Moose Drool!!!

If I do the full route to Sioux City it will be 129 miles!! That's a LOT OF caffeine!! Stay tuned.

My wife has been tracking our progress on the map. A great visual!! Just follow the orange line. This was as of Friday.

This was a few miles from the start when I was doing 8 mph into headwinds. Really!!!

Crossing the Niobrara River

This was one of the real highlights of my trip so far. My Dad flew P47's in WWII so to happen upon a historical markers like this means a lot. I have some gun camera film from one of my Dad's missions plus a lot of his other memorabilia from his time spent in the Army Air Corps.

My wife discovered this rails to trails Cowboy Trail 320 miles that was running parallel to Hwy 20:

Last edited by jppe; 09-04-16 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 08:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
In Atkinson. Great use of hay bales. Note the real flag..... Guess which way I was headed!!

These are on the shoulders for miles and cornfields no where in sight! Drop out of the sky???? Sure wish they were candy corn!!

At a short respite from the wind in Johnstown:

I switched to red today hoping The Cornhuskers would think I was a Nebraska supporter and give me plenty of room. Lots of folks honked, waved and gave me a thumbs up, at least I THINK it was a thumb???

If anyone is interested here is the tailight I'm using. It's rechargeable. Wasn't that expensive and has 4-5 different settings::

Last edited by jppe; 09-03-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-04-16, 09:41 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
AWESOME report!! Does your wife follow along with you, or ride ahead to the next resting stop? Your report has given me the itch to do this in the next 5 years (after I retire)...
Old 09-04-16, 09:56 AM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow...

What difficult conditions yet you persevered!
You are one hell of a cyclist!
Old 09-04-16, 06:13 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Valentine to O'Neill MonsterDay 20

Hey jp,

Great post and pics, and it prompted several comments, if I may. First of all your pictures are very photogenic, and particularly illustrative in that they nicely capture all the elements of the Ride: the terrain, suface of the Road*, lighting, etc., so relevant to a cyclist, and as I remember them on our cross-country ride.

Originally Posted by jppe
Oh man…today was really flat. BUT, the wind was still a total menace. I really can'tadequately explain how tough today was.

I've learned a lot about riding in the wind. The biggest thing is to just take what it gives you. Use easier gears and spin and do not wear yourself out. Just ride at a pace you can sustain for a long time. Heck, that sounds an awful lot like climbing hills!!!
Originally Posted by jppe’s signature
Ride your Ride!!
I included your signature line in this quote because it’s similar to advice I have posted on occasion as a tip about riding a century.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
A basic advice is I keep in mind during the century is Ride my own pace,” in particular not too fast at the beginning, and ride the entire route at a pace comfortable for me. Even when I pick up with another rider, I make it clear that’s my rule if our paces are not compatible.
My wife has been tracking our progress on the map. A great visual!! Just follow the orange line. This was as of Friday.
Our ride back in 1977 was well in the pre-GPS era. I posted to this thread,” How To Plan a LONG Multi-Day Ride Through Many Unfamiliar Areas? (NY State and PA)”

When my wife and I did across-country bike trip from Los Angeles in 1977, intending to arrive in Boston on a certain date, we took a USA road map to provide general directions, and then in each state we obtained state highway maps for day-to-day navigation. Near the California-Nevada border, we were advised by a knowledgeable, former state police officer to avoid Las Vegas. So we made a major detour, and went through Arizona rather than Nevada.

By the time we got over the Rocky Mountains, we realized we were not making enough time, so we then proceeded to Washington DC, and took the bikes up to Boston by train. We arrived in DC with time to spare to do some sightseeing, attesting to the utility of paper maps.

While en route, it became a standing joke to look at the map whenever we stopped; for a meal, a rest stop, or for the evening, to see what the next few miles would bring, and to stay on course.
…What worked really well today was there were "communities" (names on a map) about every 10-15 miles apart. So, we just set a goal of getting to the next little town. The other thing that helped was a huge dose of Coca Cola at mile 45 plus a Mountain Dew at mile 60. I have to watch my caffeine intake...
Of course there may be a letdown as you approach the plains. But IMO,the goal of a trans-USA Ride is to see America as a totality. You could just Ride the Rockies if it’s just about scenery. I have found for me that while gorgeous scenery and quiet rural roads are nice,I really like the interesting views, complexity and multiple choices of urban, suburban, and exurban rides [and rural towns].There will be much more of that in the Plains, Midwest and Northeast
Sometime along the trip, we abandoned making coffee in the morning, and usually set out with the first stop in about 10 to15 miles to get coffee.

…This was one of the real highlights of my trip so far. My Dad flew P47's in WWII so to happen upon a historical markers like this means a lot. I have some gun camera film from one of my Dad's missions plus a lot of his other memorabilia from his time spent in the Army Air Corps….
As one of the few Americans who does not fly, I am nonetheless fascinated by aerial warfare, especially in Europe during World WarII. When I used to fly, I would bring a book about that Theater after having seen the exhibit at the Air and Space Museum of how much damage those bombers could take and come back to land. I wasn’t particularly familiar with the P47 Thunderbolts, but as I understand it, their successor, the P51 Mustangs really made a difference as ******* to the bombers later in the war.

*Finally if I may go really far afield. I capitalize and italicize “Road” because after decades of cycling, I’ve developed a metaphysical, almost theological if you will, concept of The Road that I’ve never made public FWIW. For me as a rank amateur philosophy student, my idea of the Road is my own resolution of the problem of Free Will versus Determinism.

So if I go out for a Bike Ride, no matter how far, I freely decide what’s my Destination, and I pretty freely choose my Route, of course depending on the Roads available. My choice of Departure Time may be more restricted, but is also an Option. I can find plenty of information about Destinations and Routes from all kinds of sources like word-of-mouth, travelogues, Bike Forums, etc (the Wisdom of the Ages).

So once I have made those decisions and chosen the Road (by Free Will), I’m then committed (by Determinism...(?) Fate) to experience whatever the Road (Life) has to offer: smooth pavement, a tailwind, gentle hills; or maybe headwinds, potholes,and steep climbs. For example, jp,you obviously freely chose not only the Destination, but also the Departure Point, and your Departure Time (after retirement) which within reason determined the Roads you are now riding, with tough, as well as sublime riding conditions. IMO one other point of comparison is that how you handle these conditions tossed your way, brought on by your choices, represents your Character.

Originally Posted by Carbonated
What difficult conditions yet you persevered!
You are one hell of a cyclist!
[Sorry for the interruption, just channeling my inner Kurt Vonnegut (see Cat’s Cradle), and now back to our regularly scheduled Ride…already in progress.]

...what I have gotten directly from Bike Forums [include]…The opportunity to post and literally"journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise
So no reply necessary,but always welcome.

PS: I also noticed that you have a small bag on your top tube. I also have a similar bag to carry my digital camera. However since getting an I-phone 6+, and a convenient way to carry it, the I-phone has become my usual camera, though I still carry the digital camera in the bag.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-04-16 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 09-04-16, 08:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
I cannot do the wind.
You are my hero.