Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I Don't Care About Weight. Best Puncture Resistance Inner Tube?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I Don't Care About Weight. Best Puncture Resistance Inner Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 05:19 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...instead-of-air
Did a quick google search and I found this, a guy in this thread claims his water filled tires had a slow leak hold for far longer than air filled tires. I believe it, it’s much easier to get something water tight than air-tight.

I get the tendency to dismiss an idea like filling tubes with water as absurd without sitting down and thinking through what would happen, let alone testing it. I’ll put this test on my “to-do” list because it actually sounds interesting and might have some benefits, namely puncture resistance.

sometimes one is struck with an outlandish novel idea, and even if most of them don’t work they are worth exploring.

also OP she can probably just use someone else’s cell phone, you’re doing her a favor in the long run by not getting her a phone. People used to get along just fine without phones
Larry, how is she going to add water to her tires if she need to, away from the house? The ride will be horrific as well. Liquids don't compress. So the only shock absorption would from the minimal tire flex. If there is enough water in the tire (I can't believe there is a reason for me to even type that.) the tire really won't flex much. You may as well run a wooden rim with no tire.

As for stopping a slow leak, I can see that, but if you got a nail in the tire, tell me what will happen.. That's right, the water will leak out.

You are going a long way to solve a problem that can be solves with a good set of tires, which she already has, a good quality tube, which she probably already has, an extra tube to carry, and a phone only flip phone.

I like you Larry, but this is ridiculous. It might be fun to play with, but most likely not. I cannot imagine just what it would feel like hopping off a curb. Since water doesn't compress readily, the shock transmitted through the tires all the way through the rims, fork and frame to you would be horrific. On top of that, the potential for rim or frame damage would be greater than the strange idea of actually filling the tire with... AIR.

None of this is truly an issue though. It is for dad's peace of mind, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-29-24, 05:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...instead-of-air
Did a quick google search and I found this, a guy in this thread claims his water filled tires had a slow leak hold for far longer than air filled tires. I believe it, it’s much easier to get something water tight than air-tight.

I get the tendency to dismiss an idea like filling tubes with water as absurd without sitting down and thinking through what would happen, let alone testing it. I’ll put this test on my “to-do” list because it actually sounds interesting and might have some benefits, namely puncture resistance.

sometimes one is struck with an outlandish novel idea, and even if most of them don’t work they are worth exploring.

also OP she can probably just use someone else’s cell phone, you’re doing her a favor in the long run by not getting her a phone. People used to get along just fine without phones
water is not compressible in any measurable way. That would mean that there would be no pressure in the tires.... they would not support anything and would have no resistance to pinch flats for starters

and as to weight water is one gram per cubic centimeter or 1000 grams (2.2 lbs) per liter Air is .001225 grams per CC or 1.225 grams per liter.... compressed to 70 psi/5 bar that is ~6 grams

a 700x25 tube is about one liter so if you filled both tires with water you would get 1 kilogram/2.2 lbs of weight per wheel vs about 6 grams of weight per wheel

and remember that water is not compressable, which means if you fill a tube with water and hit a bump the tire will blow off as the tube can't contain the the pressure

this is not absurd it simply ignores physics basics and should not even be considered as an option

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-29-24, 05:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
How much pressure do you think you could get the water filled tires up to?
that’s an interesting question, I expect that the tire would fail at the same pressure regardless if it is air or water. If you mean how easy would it be to get to say 100 psi with water, probably trivially easy compared to gas. It takes very little energy/work to pressurize a fluid because its incompressible, this is the same reason as why people “pressure test” with water. If you’re standing next to a tank of water at 1,000 psi and it breaks, it will dribble out and splash you. If it’s air you would die.

the implication of this is that the tire might behave similarly at 100 psi and 10 psi. It would “ignore” a slow leak in a sense, like that guy in the thread I linked experienced.

I don’t know though, didn’t finish college, I’m sure someone reading this can hypothesize about what would happen and explain what’s going on better than me.
Old 03-29-24, 05:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
Best puncture resistance… this sounds crazy but I bet filling the inner tube with water instead of air would be a lot more puncture resistant. It would take a much bigger hole for it to leak. Never tried this, just thought of it, I bet it works, but if it’s a mtb it’s gonna be heavy.
non alcoholic dumpster vodka might be more betteriers...
Old 03-29-24, 05:36 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
non alcoholic dumpster vodka might be more betteriers...
People always seem to confuse Larry with Beng1–the real vodka dumpster diver— for some reason.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-29-24, 05:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
People always seem to confuse Larry with Beng1–the real vodka dumpster diver— for some reason.
Ty for pointing this out lol.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 03-29-24, 07:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
didn't want to leave them out of the topic.
Old 03-29-24, 08:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have 0 desire to own airless tires, but having actually installed and ridden airless tires on a friend's road bike, they are hardly anywhere close to what you describe in this rant. They are no harsher feeling than 23 or 25mm quality tubed road tires inflated to 100+(so proper inflation). They arent fast rolling and they arent fun feeling, but they also arent supposed to be. They exist to ensure punctures dont happen.
I have ridden them as well and you feel every bump, every little bit of the road. I could agree on a 23mm Thickslick pumped to over 100 but those are not comfortable and I have ridden on those and a similar feeling but not a ride I would ever desire. With suspension they would feel a bit better and my main riding on them was aluminum hybrids but the company that was making them discontinued them within a couple years.

I do understand the reason of their existence but it is a technology from a bygone era.

Iron tires were very effective but still got flats.
Flat spots and deformations I guess.
Old 03-29-24, 09:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have ridden them as well and you feel every bump, every little bit of the road. I could agree on a 23mm Thickslick pumped to over 100 but those are not comfortable and I have ridden on those and a similar feeling but not a ride I would ever desire. With suspension they would feel a bit better and my main riding on them was aluminum hybrids but the company that was making them discontinued them within a couple years.

I do understand the reason of their existence but it is a technology from a bygone era.

Flat spots and deformations I guess.
Why is it so hard for you old guys to understand that some of us aren’t riding for comfort, but actually enjoy the feel of the road?
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-29-24, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Why is it so hard for you old guys to understand that some of us aren’t riding for comfort, but actually enjoy the feel of the road?
Oooh I am an old guy now sweet, I want a damn senior discount! I will also need a make up artist because I don't think I would pass for an old person. I will say I will not be dining at 4pm to early for dinner. Though have a cane I can shake at people could be handy...LOL

Ok go ahead and ride solid tires I won't stop you! If you want to be less comfortable and slower that is fine you can do that. I enjoy the road as well but I would rather glide over it then feel all the bumps and imperfections which also would slow me down. Plus with a wider tubed tire I will be less prone to flats running a slightly lower pressure. But again you do you.
Old 03-29-24, 10:35 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I wouldn't use tire liners - had bad experiences with Mr. Tuffys BITD. After some months of use, the liners' ends eroded the tubes and caused flats.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-30-24, 12:10 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
1) tannus tire won't give you a feel for the road,
2) my knees and birthday say i am old, my mind doesn't....could be fooling my self

3) Feel for the road is critical, but does not have to mean rough ride.....I get great feel with 32mm Rene herese tires, light butyl tubes or tubies IME good tires and light tubes at correct pressure for weight give best of all.

4) heavy tires and tubes can completely destroy a bikes ride to the point of taking joy out of it
Case in point, when I got my 84 team miyata it had some sort of 25mm bontrager tire, heavy, stiff sidewalls and super thick heavy duty tubes on good wheels (dura ace, double butted spokes, MA40 rims)....rode with no life at all.
same bike with 28mm gravel kings and conti race lite tubes is a superb ride and even better is putting a set of light wheels (sanshin hubs, double butted spokes, mavic gel330 rims and 25mm challenge tubies at 120 and the bikes just wants to go fast

I really think the OP can go so far to avoid punctures that the Joy de Cycle can be destroyed

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-30-24, 08:06 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Good tires and name-brand tubes. I have had terrible luck with store branded stuff.

If she rides a lot, I would advise teaching her how to fix a flat.

No cell phone? How old is she? That is probably a discussion for a different forum.
Old 03-30-24, 12:57 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Best puncture resistance… this sounds crazy but I bet filling the inner tube with water instead of air would be a lot more puncture resistant. It would take a much bigger hole for it to leak. Never tried this, just thought of it, I bet it works, but if it’s a mtb it’s gonna be heavy.
You go ahead and try that, Larry, and let us know how it works out. Be sure to get video of the whole thing.
Old 04-01-24, 02:11 PM
MikeDeason

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
I ended up With Marathon Plus Tour 700X40 ( I don't know the difference between the Plus Tour and the straight Marathon Plus except the Plus Tour comes in a 700x40 and the Plus does not) and Mr Tuffy liners. Feel confident she won't get stuck on the trail far from home with that setup.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 04-01-24, 03:53 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
I ended up With Marathon Plus Tour 700X40 ( I don't know the difference between the Plus Tour and the straight Marathon Plus except the Plus Tour comes in a 700x40 and the Plus does not) and Mr Tuffy liners. Feel confident she won't get stuck on the trail far from home with that setup.
I guess you missed the part about tire liners causing flats. Not just from wearing a hole in a tube, that happens, but also by rolling up in a wad over time. Marathon Plus is plenty on its own. You are gilding the Lilly, and also giving Dad's the world over, a bad name.
Old 04-01-24, 04:21 PM
MikeDeason

I read the part about them causing flats but guessing that's hardcore road bikers rolling at high speeds, not 11 yr old girls on their first adult bike. Lots of Amazon and other independent online reviews seem to favour the linings.

As far as giving Dad's the world over a bad name, at least she doesn't have a phone!
Old 04-02-24, 09:03 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
I read the part about them causing flats but guessing that's hardcore road bikers rolling at high speeds, not 11 yr old girls on their first adult bike. Lots of Amazon and other independent online reviews seem to favour the linings.

As far as giving Dad's the world over a bad name, at least she doesn't have a phone!
Pretty hard to roll at high speed with those marathons and the tire liners. The typical rider with that setup will not be fast. I would ditch the liners
Old 04-02-24, 01:12 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I guess you missed the part about tire liners causing flats. Not just from wearing a hole in a tube, that happens, but also by rolling up in a wad over time. Marathon Plus is plenty on its own. You are gilding the Lilly, and also giving Dad's the world over, a bad name.
I ran Tuffy liners in my tires on my old Ross Mt. Rainier for around ten years. No flats. No issues. That being said, I see no reason for them in this case. I used them in the 80s because I was riding off road and had flats on every ride due to hawthorns. After the liners, no flats. they worked well. On the road with the Marathons, no need.
Old 04-02-24, 02:17 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by phughes
I ran Tuffy liners in my tires on my old Ross Mt. Rainier for around ten years. No flats. No issues. That being said, I see no reason for them in this case. I used them in the 80s because I was riding off road and had flats on every ride due to hawthorns. After the liners, no flats. they worked well. On the road with the Marathons, no need.
Well, I haven't had the best luck with them, but it wasn't me that brought that up in this thread. So at least one other person has had the same experiences. The reason I am using Marathon Pluses now is because I got frustrated with the Tuffy liners moving out of place in the tire and causing all sorts of mayhem.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 04-02-24, 02:50 PM
Leisesturm

Actually, hard core road bikers rolling at high speeds do not use tire liners. More and more of them are running tubeless. Let's not even go there. It's average duffers rolling along at 10mph+ on Kenda Kwests and Schwalbe Big Apples that want a bit more flat resistance NOW that buy liners. They could, of course, chuck the (new) tires they have and put Marathon + on right away, but if you've just spent $500+ on a new bike you likely won't be thrilled with the idea of spending another $100 for a pair of Marathon Plus. Tire liners are that $20/pair stopgap that allows you to at least wear out the OEM tires.

But did you also miss the part where I said that a flat wasn't the only emergency that might stop a ride? I personally wouldn't have let my daughters ride 12mi without supervision. I let them have phones though. They (twins) just turned 30. You can't have it both ways. Leave a kid to it physically, but try to lock them down socially. Bad idea. Girls moreso than boys are very resourceful. Don't put a girl in the awkward position of diverging from age peers. Don't put a girl in the potentially disastrous position of having to ask a stranger for help. Consensus on BF is a rare and wonderful thing. I'm not shocked Larry Sellerz is the only one (besides you) who thinks keeping a vital communication link away from a vulnerable minor is a best practice. The rest of us are just hoping you don't have to find out the hard way that your paranoia is misplaced. You should be more worried about what can happen to an 11 year old riding a bicycle alone in ... wherever, in 2024, than what trouble she can get into with a stupid phone.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 04-02-24, 06:33 PM
MikeDeason

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Actually, hard core road bikers rolling at high speeds do not use tire liners. More and more of them are running tubeless. Let's not even go there. It's average duffers rolling along at 10mph+ on Kenda Kwests and Schwalbe Big Apples that want a bit more flat resistance NOW that buy liners. They could, of course, chuck the (new) tires they have and put Marathon + on right away, but if you've just spent $500+ on a new bike you likely won't be thrilled with the idea of spending another $100 for a pair of Marathon Plus. Tire liners are that $20/pair stopgap that allows you to at least wear out the OEM tires.

But did you also miss the part where I said that a flat wasn't the only emergency that might stop a ride? I personally wouldn't have let my daughters ride 12mi without supervision. I let them have phones though. They (twins) just turned 30. You can't have it both ways. Leave a kid to it physically, but try to lock them down socially. Bad idea. Girls moreso than boys are very resourceful. Don't put a girl in the awkward position of diverging from age peers. Don't put a girl in the potentially disastrous position of having to ask a stranger for help. Consensus on BF is a rare and wonderful thing. I'm not shocked Larry Sellerz is the only one (besides you) who thinks keeping a vital communication link away from a vulnerable minor is a best practice. The rest of us are just hoping you don't have to find out the hard way that your paranoia is misplaced. You should be more worried about what can happen to an 11 year old riding a bicycle alone in ... wherever, in 2024, than what trouble she can get into with a stupid phone.
Unless you have a Tween or early teen child, I don't think you can comprehend the power phones have over developing children. Even with strict conditions, blocking social media etc, the phone will take over their lives. I don't care how good a parent you think you are. I have seen it happen too many times to my friend's children and my children's friends.

I am far less concerned about the potential dangers of my 11 yr old venturing 12m from home than I am from her having a phone. Of course, our location plays a part in this security.

I will heed the advice about ditching the liners and just go with the Marathon Plus. I do not wish to suck all the joy out of recreational biking.
Old 04-03-24, 08:23 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Just recently a kid was kidnapped riding inside a "safe" rural camp site. Getting your kid a cheap android phone with $10 data plan that you can track would solve most of your issues, including a puncture or any mechanical breakdown. You can lock these phones down so there isn't any social media available, strictly call or text.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-03-24, 08:29 AM
MikeDeason

Text and talk. They still have text on wifi. They can still download offline apps via wifi. I’ve seen it. They will get sucked in at that age.

Perhaps a stealth air tag on the bike and insist she carry one on her person
Old 04-03-24, 08:55 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
They can't download anything without your permission and passcode. However, your daughter can just hand you the phone once she's home or something, your house your rules.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.