Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddle ?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Brooks saddle ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 04:56 PM
jmccollister1

Bikes: Specialized Globe / Cannondale R300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks saddle ?

I have found a B-17 for sale ($60) Someone asked the seller if it came with adjustment wrenches. Are these necessary?
Old 11-09-08, 05:12 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to increase (or decrease) the tension of the saddle.
You could always use some other small wrench that fits instead of the brooks one.
Old 11-09-08, 05:43 PM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they are typically sold seperately as well look in the tool section of any online bike seller( that sells brooks) you should see them.
Old 11-09-08, 06:08 PM
phatfree
PhatFree

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends on who you ask. If you visit Sheldon Brown's website you will find that he is a big advocate against ever using the nose bolt. I am of the opinion that if it wasn't necessary why in the hell is it there? The rule a little at a time applies. My Brooks Pro started to feel a bit soft after 500 miles and I adjusted the nose bolt about 1/4 turn. When it still felt soft after a month I decided to lace the sides. That did the trick and I haven't had any problems since.
Old 11-09-08, 07:00 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmccollister1
I have found a B-17 for sale ($60) Someone asked the seller if it came with adjustment wrenches. Are these necessary?
Nah. 99% of Brooks saddle owners don't have the wrench (like the seller of the saddle you are considering).

Most folks who try to use the wrench end up ruining their saddle. If the saddle is in good shape and you like it, go for it. $60.00 isn't a bad price.
Old 11-09-08, 07:04 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mackerel
If you want to increase (or decrease) the tension of the saddle.
You could always use some other small wrench that fits instead of the brooks one.
Well, my experience tells me that this is not accurate. It is very difficult to tension the saddle nose bolt with a collection of typical wrenches. The Brooks bold tensioner is thin and allows for manuevering around in the tight space.

That said, I still do not think the bolt tensioner is necessary. I have ridden leather saddles for many years and never had to tighten the tension bolt (except once when it was loose on a new saddle and was making a clicking sound).
Old 11-09-08, 08:08 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
B-17 is a good saddle. Highly recommended.

I'm of the "you don't need the wrench" camp. You will need some of the Proofide or other dressing to condition it to protect it, and it helps expedite the break in a little. It won't be comfortable for ~500 miles or so.

That's a decent price, but depending on what's going on with it being used, or not the color you want, or shipping, etc, don't die on that specific sale. You can find <$80 online regularly.
Old 11-09-08, 08:16 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Is this a new or used saddle? If it's used how many miles have been put on it? I ask because a Brooks tends to become a custom fit for a specific butt after a few hundred miles.
Old 11-09-08, 08:59 PM
roseskunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brooks are great saddles, i have a dozen of them from the b-17 to the b-135. i do have a wrench around here somewhere but i never use it. and maybe i just have a big butt, but my brooks saddles have always been great right out of the box, no break-in required. i still have the first one i ever bought back in '74...
Old 11-09-08, 09:18 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'll need the wrench in around 20 years so if you buy it now, you'll save a few bucks over buying it 20 years from now. Just don't lose it.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 11-09-08, 09:53 PM
dschwarz

Bikes: 2006 Dahon D7, 2015 Kona Minute

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ +1 funny & true!
Old 11-09-08, 09:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
maybe not a good investment. If I had waited to buy my Brooks and just saved the money, I would be money ahead, even with the current sky high prices. Same probably goes with the wrench.
Old 11-09-08, 10:57 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Buy the saddle and use it. If you find you need the wrench, buy it then because it's not something that 'has to be done NOW'. Most people appear to never need the thing.

I bought the wrench because it came in a kit with a tin of proofide and polishing cloth ... on sale - the price was less than the tin of proofide on its own.

Then I bought a B72. Unbeknowns to me, it came with the wrench and the proofide and cloth all in one package, so now I've got two wrenches (which just gives me twice the opportunity not to be able to find one if I ever need one), two tins of proofide ... which you use at a rate of about one tin per century, and two polishing cloths.

Richard
Old 11-10-08, 05:36 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whether you need the Brooks spanner is a question of genetics, both yours and the bovine from which the leather came.

Some Brooks seems to stretch a bit quicker than others (1 out of 9 for me), so a quick turn of the wrench may help. I've gotten better result with lacing the saddle though.

Weight may hasten the sagging a bit, though at ~245#, I've only had the aforementioned one that required any adjustment.

Until I received my trial Imperial, I'd never had the proper wrench, just made do with your generic Wally-World type.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 11-10-08, 07:00 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don't buy the adjustment wrenches until you actually need them. That will prevent you from prematurely tightening your saddle, which is not good for it.
Old 11-10-08, 08:16 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been riding mine close to a year, and I've done nothing but put the conditioner stuff on it.
Old 11-10-08, 11:11 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't even know until recently that there WAS a wrench for it. I'd seen the adjuster but never thought much of it. I haven't had 9 Brooks saddles however!
Old 11-10-08, 01:13 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Also when the saddle sags, tensioning it will sometimes make the saddle skirts flair out a bit. I had to tension mine (B-17 Champion Special) after about 5,000 miles and number of unprotected soakings by HEAVY rain. I used the Brooks spanner but it was still not firm enough for my liking. I also bought a leather punch at a craft store and put a couple of holes on either side in the skirts. I ran a piece of waxed cotton string back and forth like a shoe lace and pulled the string taut to firm up the saddle.

Best thing I ever did!! It was like combining the support of a new Brooks saddle, yet custom fit to my rear.
There is A LOT of Brooks related nonsense/ opinion as fact, etc. out there. At the end of the day, they are much more hardy and not nearly as difficult to keep as people would have you believe. I say buy the wrench and if the saddle sags, give it the nut 4 complete turns and ride it for awhile, those were the instructions from Brooks anyway regarding tensioning. Also the official company line was not if the saddle would sag,but when.
Old 11-10-08, 01:44 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like rosekunk, I have found Brook's saddles to be comfy right out of the box ... as was the case with the B-17 I bought last November.

The Pro I've had for 31 years is still going strong and has never been adjusted.

What's the secret to longevity (the saddles, that is. If I had the answer to human longevity, well, I'd be rich!)? Proofide and nothing else, beside an occasional clean with sadle soap.

If you ever do feel the need to adjust the tension, you'll need the proper tool.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll try smearing myself with Proofide.
Old 11-10-08, 02:17 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
weird

Old 11-10-08, 02:19 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over 6K miles on my B17 champion special. I don't have a wrench, and so far and I've never wanted to use one. Not sure if the champion special is much different, other than the hand hammered rivets.
Old 11-10-08, 02:22 PM
jpdesjar

i have the b17 champ speciale too and it's taking shape quite nicely...i have the little kit with the wrench and the proofide but i guess the tensioning isn't necessary for another 25 years or so, i try to keep mine out of the soaking rain as well, i would like to buy another brooks for my singlespeed someday maybe in the spring

Old 11-10-08, 02:30 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpdesjar
weird
I'm all out of baby oil.
Old 11-10-08, 02:33 PM
jpdesjar

Originally Posted by Randochap
I'm all out of baby oil.
ok not so weird i just read your post again...anything to help longevity!

Old 11-10-08, 02:36 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Well, my experience tells me that this is not accurate. It is very difficult to tension the saddle nose bolt with a collection of typical wrenches. The Brooks bold tensioner is thin and allows for manuevering around in the tight space.
That's why I said to use a "small wrench that fits" - Myself: I never did have to find one that fits as I never had to mess with my Brooks to begin with. I feels just fine the way it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.