Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ft Dodge to Waterloo on Back Roads!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 08:37 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Another 100+ mile day on this journey across the US. 113 miles from Ft Dodge to Waterloo. I think that is 5 rides in a row of 100+ miles....

Dad gum menacing winds all day. Actually had some headwinds for 25 miles or so.

For the first time we diverted from Hwy 20 and rode back roads. It was glorious!! The roads were very similar to what I ride back home. Rural roads with no shoulders.

Hwy 20 had become a freeway so it felt like it was time for something different. I also just happened to glance at Doug64's blog last night of his trip several years ago and noticed they'd done the same thing.

The route also took in some smaller towns such as Webster City and Iowa Falls. Really got to see more of the real Iowa.

We stopped for lunch at 502 Grill in Iowa Falls and I downed a full meal with 3 glasses of Coca Cola.

Coca Cola is. Drug!!!! With the caffeine and sugar I rode the next 20 miles at a Time Trial pace. Of course I struggled after all that wore off but still managed a decent finish.

It was overcast and drizzly all day. But I managed to avoid the heavy rains for the whole ride. I did put on the rain jacket twice for maybe 45 minutes total. Temps were in the low 70s all day so it was perfect for riding. The bike is a dirty mess as expected for riding wet roads all day.

On to Dubuque tomorrow!

Pretty ominous at the start.

Overcast with wet roads all day.

Huge wind farm. One of the two times I'd donned my rain jacket.

Iowa Falls, a nice downtown.

Lunch at 502 Grill

For Doug64......soybeans all day. You were right!

Cycle shop in Iowa Falls. I had my rain cover over my phone hence the blurry picture.

Last edited by jppe; 09-07-16 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 10:57 AM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice and flat..

Flat roads are nice but it seem more often than not wind is a factor..