Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New high performance mixte. Is there such a thing? Was there ever?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New high performance mixte. Is there such a thing? Was there ever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 05:08 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Soma Bona by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

19 pounds 14 ounces as pictured. That's with pedals, bottle cages & stainless steel bolts. I spent a good portion of today mating the Shimano brakes to TRP levers & doing a proper brake bleed with questionable supplies & incomplete resourses. I am proud to claim success. Holy moly does this bike stop good!

Merry Sales supplied the touch-up paint in 2 ounce bottles for the fork. I had no idea how much I would need, what paint it was, or how it would behave shot out of a proper HVLP paint gun. I got 6 bottles so that there would be plenty to experiment & learn with. The good guys at R&E Cycles were happy to do the work. To get a perfect match they ran several test samples. Apparently the proper combination of witchcraft is: White primer, paint mixed with reducer(?), clear coat. They should be commended for both the turn around time and the high quality execution. The results are indistinguishable from OEM. I have enough paint left over that I may commission them to do a matching pair of fenders.

After an email (that was not returned) to AX-Lightness, Ax-Lightness did finally let me add the 4200 Ergo handlebars in 420mm width to the online shopping cart for purchase after many weeks of fruitless 2x daily checks to their website. I understand that managing a retail website can be complicated and sometimes customers do indeed bring issues to the forefront that were unknown. I harbor no animosity over the (probably unnecessary) delay. I'm just glad that whatever issue happened on the backend is now sorted & to their credit the handlebars my hands prefer arrived in under 96 hours from the other side of the planet.

I did (at Kontact) swap the worthless Enve seatpost and Fizik Antares saddle from the test ride several posts up back to my Cervelo in favor of the Darimo seatpost & Ax-Lightness Leaf Plus 3k saddle. My backside prefers the Leaf Plus & the Cervelo is back to being a unified brand machine that continues to see little use these days. (I promise to think on this while I amble along the sidewalk. )

A shorter -18 degree Extralite 80mm stem & a half wrap of the handlebar with yellow/gold tacky Arundel Bar tape rounds out the build.

For anyone like me, you know the build never really stops. It just gets delayed until you find the next cool thing. All I can think of at the moment that I would consider is a Ti bolt upgrade, a single Carbon Works bottle cage & fantasize about how a THM Clavicula SE crankset with Extralite Octaramp MC chainrings would look quite dapper. I think it'll be quite some time on that front though for any of those thing to find their way towards my direction. I can be satisfied & still dream, can't I? I fantasize about that stuff for all my bikes!

Thanks all for following me on this journey.
I'll upload some photos from a good sunny day ride soon.

Base2
In case I missed it.
How tall are you?
Is 58cm the actual effective top tube length?

Thank you.
Old 08-12-23, 05:11 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Odds are this was somebody's Grandmothers mixte.

55 cm Raleigh Super Record mixte

It will be as high-performance as I can stand.

Thanks for the idea.
Bike looks small for you.

In case I missed it.
How tall are you?

Thank you.
Old 08-12-23, 07:36 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
In case I missed it.
How tall are you?

Thank you.
It's been a while since I promised action shots of this bike in the wild, as promised. Thanks for bubbling the thread back to the top of the feed.

Soma Buena Vista by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Artist Point Mount Baker by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

So with that out of the way...
I measured the imaginary horizontal line from the center of the head tube to the the center of the seat post. By my clumsy hands it measures 57cm. I don't think that tells the whole story though with regards to Somas published specs, stack, reach, etc...Using the trusty level app on my iPhone the seat tube angle is a very definitive 75 degrees. This explains why I had to get the 25mm setback seat post and 80mm -18 degree stem now pictured.

While I was at it, I took the liberty of measuring the head tube angle. 73 degrees on the nose. I ran the numbers through yojimg and with the 700x38 tires it spit out a trail of 59mm (56mm mechanical trail, whatever that means.) What I do know is that this bike rides very nimble with a light, effortless responsive touch. Quite similar in manner to my Cervelo R5, if I'm honest.

I am 5 foot 11&1/2 inches tall with a normal torso, longish arms & shortish legs.

Car dependency is a tax.

Last edited by base2; 08-12-23 at 07:47 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-12-23, 08:07 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

It's been a while since I promised action shots of this bike in the wild, as promised. Thanks for bubbling the thread back to the top of the feed.

Soma Buena Vista by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Artist Point Mount Baker by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

So with that out of the way...
I measured the imaginary horizontal line from the center of the head tube to the the center of the seat post. By my clumsy hands it measures 57cm. I don't think that tells the whole story though with regards to Somas published specs, stack, reach, etc...Using the trusty level app on my iPhone the seat tube angle is a very definitive 75 degrees. This explains why I had to get the 25mm setback seat post and 80mm -18 degree stem now pictured.

While I was at it, I took the liberty of measuring the head tube angle. 73 degrees on the nose. I ran the numbers through yojimg and with the 700x38 tires it spit out a trail of 59mm (56mm mechanical trail, whatever that means.) What I do know is that this bike rides very nimble with a light, effortless responsive touch. Quite similar in manner to my Cervelo R5, if I'm honest.

I am 5 foot 11&1/2 inches tall with a normal torso, longish arms & shortish legs.
Thank you.

It’s a beautiful bike.
Old 08-15-23, 11:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
I made two mixtes at Trek when I was there. They were made from decent tubing. I always wondered what happened to those bikes. I had zero information about the people they were for, so who knows if they even rode them?
Old 08-15-23, 11:25 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Soma Bona by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

19 pounds 14 ounces as pictured.
I’m thinking you might want to recalibrate your scale. I don’t believe that weight for one minute.
Old 08-15-23, 09:59 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by smd4
I’m thinking you might want to recalibrate your scale. I don’t believe that weight for one minute.
Ok. Putting aside snark about how reality doesn’t care what you believe, Here are some pictures of the filthy bike detailing the build up close. The weights are all verifiable from the parts manufacturers if you so desire to investigate further.

The weight:
IMG_1495 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
It's actually dropped a bit from earlier in the thread because I pulled an EDCO 11 speed 11-28 cassette and Ultegra 6800 derailleur from the parts bin because I decided they suited my strength and terrain better.

Carbon-Ti 160mm rotor held on with Extralite titanium bolts mated to Shimano caliper affixed with titanium bolts to custom painted 450 gram Whiskey 7 fork and Extralite Skewer

Really long M5 & 20mm M8 titanium bolts from Ti-64, Carbon-Ti rotor, Shimano Caliper affixed with Extralite titanium bolts, Extralite Aliens 4 skewer. I really ought to swap out the IS mounting bolts for something Ti, but Hey! I'll get there someday.

Extralite UltraTop (and UltraBottom) Headset Extralite 80mm -18 stem with Garmin computer and GoPro mount and , 3d printed Extralite spacer. Yellow Arundel bar tape in background. Messy excessive anti-seize application prominent.

AX-Lightness ERGO 4200 Handlebar, UltraBottom lower headset, computer/GoPro mount (for headlight), weight-weenie style wrap of Arundel bar tape, TRP hydraulic brake levers saddle, seat post. Shimano A6xx pedals, yada-yada

Darimo T2 SB25 250mm 27.2 seat post, reinforced version manufactured for me by request, AX-Lightness Leaf Plus

1209 gram wheel set made from 28/24 Stans Grail CB7 rims laced with Berd spokes to White Industries XMR hubs upon which Panaracer Graveling 700x38 tires have been installed, in tubeless configuration with 100ml of Orange Seal installed in each.

Next up to swap out here in the build process is a $19 Euro titanium seat post binder bolt from Titanium Planet that’ll save me a whopping (& super important ) 6.5 grams, and waiting through the gawd-awful lead time on the THM Clavicula Crankset to mount the Octaramp RC2 round chainrings. I like the Quarq, but the Dub bottom brackets just don't last very long.

Last edited by base2; 08-16-23 at 12:38 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-16-23, 10:20 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Ok. Putting aside snark about how reality doesn’t care what you believe, Here are some pictures of the filthy bike detailing the build up close. The weights are all verifiable from the parts manufacturers if you so desire to investigate further.

The weight:
IMG_1495 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
It's actually dropped a bit from earlier in the thread because I pulled an EDCO 11 speed 11-28 cassette and Ultegra 6800 derailleur from the parts bin because I decided they suited my strength and terrain better.

Carbon-Ti 160mm rotor held on with Extralite titanium bolts mated to Shimano caliper affixed with titanium bolts to custom painted 450 gram Whiskey 7 fork and Extralite Skewer

Really long M5 & 20mm M8 titanium bolts from Ti-64, Carbon-Ti rotor, Shimano Caliper affixed with Extralite titanium bolts, Extralite Aliens 4 skewer. I really ought to swap out the IS mounting bolts for something Ti, but Hey! I'll get there someday.

Extralite UltraTop (and UltraBottom) Headset Extralite 80mm -18 stem with Garmin computer and GoPro mount and , 3d printed Extralite spacer. Yellow Arundel bar tape in background. Messy excessive anti-seize application prominent.

AX-Lightness ERGO 4200 Handlebar, UltraBottom lower headset, computer/GoPro mount (for headlight), weight-weenie style wrap of Arundel bar tape, TRP hydraulic brake levers saddle, seat post. Shimano A6xx pedals, yada-yada

Darimo T2 SB25 250mm 27.2 seat post, reinforced version manufactured for me by request, AX-Lightness Leaf Plus

1209 gram wheel set made from 28/24 Stans Grail CB7 rims laced with Berd spokes to White Industries XMR hubs upon which Panaracer Graveling 700x38 tires have been installed, in tubeless configuration with 100ml of Orange Seal installed in each.

Next up to swap out here in the build process is a $19 Euro titanium seat post binder bolt from Titanium Planet that’ll save me a whopping (& super important ) 6.5 grams, and waiting through the gawd-awful lead time on the THM Clavicula Crankset to mount the Octaramp RC2 round chainrings. I like the Quarq, but the Dub bottom brackets just don't last very long.
What would you guess it would weigh if you didn’t try to save weight?
Aluminum and steel parts, stock fork, etc.

26lb?
Old 08-16-23, 11:27 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
So what? If it's difficult/impossible/unsafe to swing a leg over a DF TT, a mixte allows a person to continue riding, at least for a while. Some of us like to ride.
Old 08-16-23, 12:10 PM
base2 
I am potato.

What would you guess it would weigh if you didn’t try to save weight?
Aluminum and steel parts, stock fork, etc.

26lb?
Yeah, I think that sounds about right. So much of bike builds is like Legos for grown-ups. Once you have a stockpile of parts it's easy to port things around from one construct to another. On this bike the frame, fork, headset, stem & seatpost were the only things I bought for this bike specifically. The wheels, brake system, drivetrain, shifters, even the chain, were all from a Salsa Vaya that was too small for me.

Path Less Pedaled claims his is 28 pounds and his is not adorned with weight much of weight conscious anything. So to me, 26 pounds sounds reasonable for anyone who has better than bargain basement stuff sitting around.

Last edited by base2; 08-16-23 at 12:13 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-16-23, 04:57 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 448 Posts
Well, if there wasn't ever a performance mixte before, there is now! Congratulations on a thoughtful build. It looks great, too!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 08-17-23, 07:39 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Aa a frame builder who has studied and made transportation styles of bicycles, I can say with assurance that the mixte design is superior for a step through type of bicycle. It shouldn’t be criticized. The worst design is having a single sloping top tube parallel to the down tube. The higher the back of the top tube connects up from the bottom bracket, the better to keep the frame from swaying under load. For example one solution is to curve the back of the top tube so it attaches higher on the seat tube. The reason manufacturers avoid making mixte frames is because they are more complicated (read expensive) to do. The reason they made them in the past was because it was (and still is) a superior design. The reason to do a single top tube step through frame is for manufacturing convenience.

A mixte makes a lot of sense for anyone that has stuff on a rear rack. It can be difficult for anyone (but especially those that are middle aged or older) to lean a loaded bike to one side to swing their leg over the back. One has to now support and hold the weight of the bicycle itself and have the flexibility at the same time get their leg over. Or if leaving he bicycle upright, lift their foot even higher. A video of that effort could either be sad or a comedy.

I’ll also mention again that a mixte for drop handlebars should be designed differently than one for upright handlebars. The one for upright handlebars should have a shallower seat angle (because the rider is sitting in a different more upright position) that requires adjustments to the other parts of the geometry as well.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-17-23, 08:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Nice build. I remember years ago looking for a mixte frame to build up for my wife who is about your height and giving up. Glad you found something that worked for you.

Likes For himespau:
Old 08-17-23, 09:42 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,681 Posts
An additional (and seldom recognized) advantage of vintage mixtes for older riders is that they generally have longer head tubes than diamond-frame bikes of the same nominal frame size.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-17-23, 10:34 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
An additional (and seldom recognized) advantage of vintage mixtes for older riders is that they generally have longer head tubes than diamond-frame bikes of the same nominal frame size.
Why would that be an advantage for older riders?
Old 08-17-23, 11:22 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Why would that be an advantage for older riders?
As a rider gets older, it is common that they might gain weight and lose some flexibility and as a result need to raise their handlebars higher to compensate. A longer head tube allows for the stem to go higher without going past the limit line or look goofy sticking out so far if they are going to use a Nitto Technomic. In the classic era with level top tubes, it was expected that the rider have their handlebars lower than their seat. So a mixte frame has 2 advantages. It not only has a longer head tube than a diamond frame of the same size but a rider can ride a bigger one (with a longer head tube) since there aren't any straddle issues.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-17-23, 11:33 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
As a rider gets older, it is common that they might gain weight and lose some flexibility and as a result need to raise their handlebars higher to compensate. A longer head tube allows for the stem to go higher without going past the limit line or look goofy sticking out so far if they are going to use a Nitto Technomic. In the classic era with level top tubes, it was expected that the rider have their handlebars lower than their seat. So a mixte frame has 2 advantages. It not only has a longer head tube than a diamond frame of the same size but a rider can ride a bigger one (with a longer head tube) since there aren't any straddle issues.
Is the stem length issue mostly because of the “7” style stems?

I think the 7 in aluminum with a pinch bolt is inferior compared to other stem designs.
Old 08-17-23, 11:48 AM
Trakhak

Is the stem length issue mostly because of the “7” style stems?

I think the 7 in aluminum with a pinch bolt is inferior compared to other stem designs.
Yes, of course, on both counts. But mixtes were pretty much gone from the market by the time that threadless headsets and stems and sloping top tubes started to become dominant.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-17-23, 12:05 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Yes, of course, on both counts. But mixtes were pretty much gone from the market by the time that threadless headsets and stems and sloping top tubes started to become dominant.
Yes. Thank you.

But I also intend to say that a stem that slopes up and has a removable faceplate with a bolt on each side seems like a better design.

Sloping up would give a better stress path.

Removable because I’ve never seen a spring made out of aluminum. And you can change your bars easier.
Old 08-17-23, 12:20 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Before mountain bikes, aluminum seat posts were only made fairly short to fit frames with level top tubes. Nobody wanted any more length (and weight) than necessary. I built some custom frames for really tall riders in the 70's and early 80's and the seat tubes had to be really long (making a big frame) so the seat post could be inserted far enough to get below the limit line.

In the same way in that era, most aluminum stems couldn't be raised very high because they were designed to have a minimum amount inserted into the steerer (to save weight) . They were designed for a racer's position.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-17-23, 12:28 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Before mountain bikes, aluminum seat posts were only made fairly short to fit frames with level top tubes. Nobody wanted any more length (and weight) than necessary. I built some custom frames for really tall riders in the 70's and early 80's and the seat tubes had to be really long (making a big frame) so the seat post could be inserted far enough to get below the limit line.

In the same way in that era, most aluminum stems couldn't be raised very high because they were designed to have a minimum amount inserted into the steerer (to save weight) . They were designed for a racer's position.
When I started racing in the mid-'60s, the rough guideline for bike fitting was that the exposed seatpost should be about a fistful in length and equal to the head tube length and the stem's horizontal length.
Old 08-18-23, 01:11 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
IIRC, according to Brooks, the B17 always was supposed to be set at about the same height as the handlebars. I never understood that, because setting my seat height according the old ROTs would have required setting the stems above their minimum insertion points. Am I mistaken about the Brooks recommendation BITD?

Quill stems look a lot better to me than threadless. I've yet to see a threadless system I consider to be beautiful, but some quills look like works of art. OTOH, I wish someone made Technomics that allowed easy handlebar changes. I'd happily take the weight penalty of those bolts.

Alas, I'd be a guy waiting for an opportunity to buy such a stem 2nd hand. I wouldn't be the guy who commissioned the work in the 1st place.

In any case, I can foresee needing some sort of step-through. I just hope I'll find a reasonably priced A-D, Raleigh, high end French or English, or Soma mixte when I want one.

(signed) philbob, who has lost 50 lbs in the last 23 years and who is lots more flexible now than before losing the weight ... and who is less flexible in 2023 than he was in 2022, 2021, and so on....
Old 03-02-24, 01:15 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I ride with a woman who once owned a mixte made by Waterford. She's since owned a few regular bikes. No idea what happened to the Waterford.
I've been looking for a high quality mixte for YEARS. Was hers a two tubes or one (if you remember). (And yes, I know this is an old thread I'm replying too).

There is one for sale drivable distance from me that is a two tube Waterford mixte 21 speed in canary yellow - seems to be a size small. Do you know type of riding she did? Anything with hills?

I once bought a mixte from REI (probably an electra?) and I promptly returned it. I couldn't make it out of my neighborhood hills! My cargo electric bike is a mixte frame and.I LOVE it. I never have to worry about what I'm wearing, difficulty of mounting and dismounting with a load, etc.

I once asked Soma about the Buena Vista (when I was asking about riding Ragbrai) and they said that bike might be difficult for that type of riding, so I've been scared to invest money in it new.
Old 03-02-24, 01:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
I've been looking for a high quality mixte for YEARS. Was hers a two tubes or one (if you remember). (And yes, I know this is an old thread I'm replying too).

There is one for sale drivable distance from me that is a two tube Waterford mixte 21 speed in canary yellow - seems to be a size small. Do you know type of riding she did? Anything with hills?

I once bought a mixte from REI (probably an electra?) and I promptly returned it. I couldn't make it out of my neighborhood hills! My cargo electric bike is a mixte frame and.I LOVE it. I never have to worry about what I'm wearing, difficulty of mounting and dismounting with a load, etc.

I once asked Soma about the Buena Vista (when I was asking about riding Ragbrai) and they said that bike might be difficult for that type of riding, so I've been scared to invest money in it new.

I find that interesting in that the describe the frame as sport touring
direct from their site true mixte frame with the double top tube/stays. Obviously offers lots of standover height and style as well. You'll find the geometry is more sporty, than upright-comfy. Though it can be built up to suit either demeanor. Drop bars? Sure. Moustache bars? Of course.

from what I remember from you other posts this would seem to be a good candidate for your needs eyelets for racks and fenders (front and back it looks for the rim brake version and back only for disc)

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/buena-vista

Last edited by squirtdad; 03-02-24 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-02-24, 06:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
@base2 can you share real life riding experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.