Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki bicycle help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki bicycle help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 11:42 AM
SmoggyTwinkles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Nishiki bicycle help

Bought this for a song and put new grips and a bouncy seat on it. I'd like to get new tires.

Can anyone help me figure out what I should get? 26x1.75

Not really planning to take this offroading.

It's otherwise riding really surprisingly well. I'll need to oil the chain I suppose so any advice there is appreciated too.

Thanks for any help everyone! Have an awesome day
Old 05-07-23, 11:59 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/tires...75-wire-bk-sk/

These would be awesome. Good protection and a smooth ride.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-07-23, 12:08 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/tires...75-wire-bk-sk/

These would be awesome. Good protection and a smooth ride.
a great suggestion.

Can I ask (you, or anyone else that read this)

How do I tell how wide the tire will be when inflated?

I just went and measured the widest point on the current tires I have, and lets call it 2 inches or 50mm wide, and I'd say I'd want that size or a touch thinner is fine but no bigger. How do I figure that out when looking at tires online?
Old 05-07-23, 12:09 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Also 52telecaster, is it butterscotch blonde?
Likes For SmoggyTwinkles:
Old 05-07-23, 02:09 PM
WT160

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I bought some Mitas tires for my hybrid. They were 26x1.5, but I see they come in other sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18573687886...Bk9SR-izkP3-YQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18540860631...Bk9SR-qzkP3-YQ
Old 05-07-23, 02:23 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

I went full stupid and just ordered these: https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...r/contact-plus

I'm just frustrated and like "**** it I'll do it myself"

I am not a rich man by any means. So that seems like a lot to pay for some bicycle tires, but I can withstand the price. I hope I haven't messed up here.

I can cancel these and go another way, just let me know (asap) really appreciate it.
Old 05-07-23, 02:43 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Order cancelled.

Full stupid has a cancel button, awesome.
Old 05-07-23, 02:52 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Why not panaracer paselas? Lots of people here use them on 27", 700c, and 26".
Likes For rgvg:
Old 05-07-23, 07:03 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by SmoggyTwinkles
Also 52telecaster, is it butterscotch blonde?
It is! Typically a tire that is called out as 1.75 will be fairly close to that width.

I have several guitars but a couple are butterscotch.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-07-23, 07:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by rgvg
Why not panaracer paselas? Lots of people here use them on 27", 700c, and 26".
Paselas are really excellent tires in my book.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-07-23, 07:09 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Bought this for a song and put new grips and a bouncy seat on it.

Not really planning to take this offroading.

thanks for any help everyone! Have an awesome day
no help here but ...... that bouncy seat looks like it would be errrr fun . Mental image of rider being bounced off the bike on a rough surface .
Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 05-08-23, 06:52 AM
SmoggyTwinkles

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
no help here but ...... that bouncy seat looks like it would be errrr fun . Mental image of rider being bounced off the bike on a rough surface .
Yeah I'm getting a lot of comments on the seat in the real world.

Stuff like "I don't think you want your seat angled like that" etc.

Thing is, it's fully adjustable to the riders weight and also position between post and handlebars.

I have it set up perfectly, when I sit on it, my 125 Lbs soaking wet self sits on it, it's perfectly flat and thus completely awesome. I don't know who designed that seat suspension, but they deserve a Nobel Prize IMO.

I guess I will go Panaracer Paselas for the tires.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-08-23, 06:56 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Yeah I'm getting a lot of comments on the seat in the real world.

Stuff like "I don't think you want your seat angled like that" etc.

Thing is, it's fully adjustable to the riders weight and also position between post and handlebars.

I have it set up perfectly, when I sit on it, my 125 Lbs soaking wet self sits on it, it's perfectly flat and thus completely awesome. I don't know who designed that seat suspension, but they deserve a Nobel Prize IMO.

I guess I will go Panaracer Paselas for the tires.

Thanks everyone!
Ride what you like! It's all about having fun and getting somewhere.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-10-23, 02:28 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

So it turns out I really love this whole bicycle thing.

This Nishiki I have is quite nice, I'm booked for a full service in a couple weeks, and have a rear rack on order.

The tire thing, I think I'll let the shop help me out with that. It's a very good outfit especially the repair/service part. They'll sort me out.

I had a blast today out on the bike, that's what it's all about. Amazing!
Old 05-10-23, 06:21 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
What a cool frame! I don’t think I’ve seen a mixte with cantis before, what’s that bike model?
thank you for sharing your new ride!
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-10-23, 06:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I have a mountain bike turned into cruiser and run 26x1.5 tires. Continental Contact tires. Wear like iron, roll easy and are fun to corner on. Never had a flat on them either and it has been 10 years at least.
The bike is used for grocery and hardware store runs plus a daily ride around the neighborhood with the wife every night.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-10-23, 06:53 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
another vote for pasela's for this purpose/bike

if you like the "bike thing" you should look to learning how to do maintenance. places like REI often offer classes or look for a local bike co-op or charity

on line help https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help has good reads and videos

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-11-23, 08:37 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
What a cool frame! I don’t think I’ve seen a mixte with cantis before, what’s that bike model?
thank you for sharing your new ride!
I don't know what catis is, would like to know.

It's a Nishiki Carrera, think it's maybe from around 1985. Seems to have good components on it. Suntour gear shifters, Sugino GT crankshaft, no idea on the cassette at this point.

Man, a full service and some smoother tires, this thing should ride like a dream. I already have zero issues with gear changes, can only get better when it gets some better attention from professionals. Could do it myself but I'd rather a pro do it, $99 seems like a good price for a full service on everything even bearings, wheel truing, etc.

It's heavy though, 32 pounds but I have no problem with that I lift way more than that all day long at my job. And honestly this bike is probably a passageway to something even better. But for now I'm loving it and just really glad I have re-discovered bicycling, no idea why I haven't been riding a bike pretty much every day. I did when I was a kid.
Old 05-12-23, 05:33 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts

It's a Nishiki Carrera, think it's maybe from around 1985. Seems to have good components on it. Suntour gear shifters, Sugino GT crankshaft, no idea on the cassette at this point.

Man, a full service and some smoother tires, this thing should ride like a dream. I already have zero issues with gear changes, can only get better when it gets some better attention from professionals. Could do it myself but I'd rather a pro do it, $99 seems like a good price for a full service on everything even bearings, wheel truing, etc.

It's heavy though, 32 pounds but I have no problem with that I lift way more than that all day long at my job. And honestly this bike is probably a passageway to something even better. But for now I'm loving it and just really glad I have re-discovered bicycling, no idea why I haven't been riding a bike pretty much every day. I did when I was a kid.
Cantis = cantilever brakes, which are very popular on mountain bikes
SunTour rear derailleurs are simply the best of that era, with a design that everyone else eventually copied when the patent expired
Yes, you would enjoy a lighter bike and probably sportier handlebars, but that Nishiki is indeed a great gateway
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-12-23, 06:13 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Pasela's are always a good choice, in any size. I have them on several bikes. They don't break the bank and are a good value.

I also have Continental Travel Contacts. Any variation of Continental Contacts are also great. You said you ordered but then cancelled a set of Continentals. Those would have been a good choice too. The Contact Plus would have been more puncture-resistant, but the Pasela's will ride and handle better.
Old 05-12-23, 06:24 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts

Roughly $100 for a complete "once over" including repacking and truing wheels may be pretty reasonable, depending on your location. Also probably worth IMO it if you're light on experience with bike maintenance (until you learn how to do most of it yourself, of course).

Regarding the rear "cassette" - if it's SunTour equipped and from the mid-1980s, it's very likely got a freewheel vice a cassette-type hub. (Haven't seen any references to SunTour producing a cassette-type hub until the late 1980s.) You can check that by pulling the rear wheel and consulting this webpage from Bike Gremlin; this one from Park Tool; or this one from the late Sheldon Brown. For someone inexperienced, the Park Tool may be the clearest (some clarifying animated graphics help here), but all three are excellent. Or you can ask the shop to tell you when you pick it up which you have if you don't have the time to check it before taking the bike in for service.

Nice Nishiki mixte, by the way. Enjoy.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 05-30-23, 03:55 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Well I have an update,

I have had my bike serviced, it's now riding even better.

I've ordered some new brake pads, hopefully they're compatible.

Got a sweet helmet (in my opinion) love the colour and it's very light and comfortable.

Got my rack, aluminum alloy, my bike is weird so it didn't fit to the frame. I drilled holes and threaded them and it's solid. Very happy with my own ingenuity there (haha)

I've also ordered new tires and went with these https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/commut...ring/ride-city which I hope will make the ride even better (and they look cool IMO) Anyway, I think I've dumped just about enough money into this bike, but I also love this thing. I can't afford a sweet auto-mobile, but I can soup up an old, very nice riding bicycle!!! Thanks for all the help, I'll keep posting maybe, maybe say how those tires are (not getting them sent for a couple weeks)
Old 05-30-23, 03:57 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Some pics?

Old 05-30-23, 04:01 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Great looking bike!!!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-30-23, 04:21 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Thanks 52! (I am also super into guitars etc. Don't gig or anything but I love it as a hobby)

Like I say I'm new to this. I need to "get out" and also get my lower body more in shape. Turning 45 soon and my bum is getting saggy LOL.

Trying to turn a cheap bike into my ideal bike, learning as I go. I think I lucked out with this thing because it was honestly a drunken local ad purchase one night, and I'm just falling more and more in love with it.

Thanks for your support. I'll update on the tires in a few weeks time hopefully. I don't know, price point and reviews tell me these should be awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.