Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Distracted driving study

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Distracted driving study

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 11:10 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Distracted driving study

"In 2021 more than 3,500 drivers in the U.S. alone died in traffic accidents linked to distracted driving. Using a cell phone is the primary source of distraction, but entering navigational information, trying to eat and performing other such activities can be just as risky. A new study in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied suggests that distracted driving is even more unsafe than previously thought."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...esearch-shows/

In the past it was recognized that smokers had a higher auto accident rate and the insurance companies charged them more for insurance. At this time we have people eating their meals in their cars and using their cell phones (and seldom hands free) and the accident rates have jumped as a result.

People are in a frenzy mode and never think about stopping for 5 minutes to eat their McDonald's products or waiting until they get to their work place or home to call someone. They speed even when the time savings is trivial in the oveall scheme of things. We operate at a much lowered level of consciousness and do so without any thought about what we are doing. As a result we have created a much more dangerous world for ourselves and for others.

I too have been guilty of thinking I could multi-task and the reality is that no one is able to operate on two tasks in parallel. It is like the Japanese saying about a chef that he has many knives - none are sharp. The more we try to do the less we are able to do well.
Old 08-01-23, 01:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Distracted driving will only get worse.

Those of us who came of age when transistor radios were a novelty are used to living without constant inputs. But, as I look around I see more people addicted (for lack of a better word) to their earbuds, cellphones and so on.

It's not only the belief in the myth of multi-tasking, it's also that people cannot just do one thing, or be alone with their thoughts for 5 minutes. Friends are shocked to hear that I'll ride my bike 100 miles or more without a radio or cell phone.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-01-23, 02:01 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Just talking on the phone hand-free has been proven to "distract" drivers. I used to love listening to music while I drove. I don't anymore.
Likes For bikelif3:
Old 08-05-23, 08:30 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 793 Posts
I think I was a near-victim to a distracted driver yesterday. I was doing at least 20-something mph on a two-lane residential roadway and I see a car at a stop sign with the intention of pulling out into my lane, but she hesitated as a large truck was coming from the opposite direction.

However, it seemed like she was trying to judge the distance vs speed of this truck (by the jerkiness nature of her car) so she could pull out safely. I'm thinking she must definitely see me, since I'm wearing high-viz yellow and in the middle of the lane, but I got that feeling that I need to keep an eye on this driver, knowing she cannot pull out without hitting me.

At the very last second she pulls out and nearly T-bones me, but I swerve just enough to prevent an impact. I'm going so fast I'm able to retake my position in the lane with her behind me and as I look back at her, I see her hold up both hands as if to say...Sorry...that made me

I really believe she was completely distracted by the large truck to her left and either didn't see me or totally misjudged my speed, since most cyclist in this area go at very slow speeds. (speed limit on this road is 25 mph).

Last edited by work4bike; 08-05-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-05-23, 08:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I think I was a near-victim to a distracted driver yesterday. I was doing at least 20-something mph on a two-lane residential roadway and I see a car at a stop sign with the intention of pulling out into my lane, but she hesitated as a large truck was coming from the opposite direction.

However, it seemed like she was trying to judge the distance vs speed of this truck (by the jerkiness nature of her car) so she could pull out safely. I'm thinking she must definitely sees me, since I'm wearing high-viz yellow and in the middle of the lane, but I got that feeling that I need to keep an eye on this driver, knowing she cannot pull out without hitting me.

At the very last second she pulls out and nearly T-bones me, but I swerve just enough to prevent an impact. I'm going so fast I'm able to retake my position in the lane with her behind me and as I look back at her, I see her hold up both hands as if to say...Sorry...that made me

I really believe she was completely distracted by the large truck to her left and either didn't see me or totally misjudged my speed, since most cyclist in this area go at very slow speeds. (speed limit on this road is 25 mph).

Everybody involved in a collision or driving mishap is a victim of "distraction," when every driver mistake, error or incorrect interpretation of real time traffic conditions, whatever the cause, fits an all-encompassing definition of "distracted driving." Especially if the definition of distraction includes any and every external potential stimuli like music, eating, or roadside vehicles or attractions.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-05-23 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-05-23, 08:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by work4bike
I think I was a near-victim to a distracted driver yesterday.....

I really believe she was completely distracted by the large truck to her left......
This isn't an example of what's generally meant by "distracted driver".

It might be an example of what I call a slow thinker ----- a careful driver who tries to make sure it's OK to go, but takes so long that by the time he goes, it's no longer OK.

It also has other elements of hazards that suburban cyclists need to factor; fixation on other more concerning issue (large truck) and the ever present underestimating of bicycle speed.

I've survived all these years because I ride like I'm an AWACS plane, tracking all the vehicles around me, and anticipating every possible way they can screw up.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-05-23, 09:09 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Kid texting rear ended my vehicle and totalled it. It's not getting better.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 08-06-23, 10:50 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
"In 2021 more than 3,500 drivers in the U.S. alone died in traffic accidents linked to distracted driving. Using a cell phone is the primary source of distraction, but entering navigational information, trying to eat and performing other such activities can be just as risky. A new study in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied suggests that distracted driving is even more unsafe than previously thought."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...esearch-shows/

In the past it was recognized that smokers had a higher auto accident rate and the insurance companies charged them more for insurance. At this time we have people eating their meals in their cars and using their cell phones (and seldom hands free) and the accident rates have jumped as a result.

People are in a frenzy mode and never think about stopping for 5 minutes to eat their McDonald's products or waiting until they get to their work place or home to call someone. They speed even when the time savings is trivial in the oveall scheme of things. We operate at a much lowered level of consciousness and do so without any thought about what we are doing. As a result we have created a much more dangerous world for ourselves and for others.

I too have been guilty of thinking I could multi-task and the reality is that no one is able to operate on two tasks in parallel. It is like the Japanese saying about a chef that he has many knives - none are sharp. The more we try to do the less we are able to do well.
^^This may not say it ALL but it says ENOUGH.

Personally, I'll drift out of my lane in under three seconds if I take my eyes off the road and might be better off taking my hands off the wheel entirely as my car is well aligned on a level roadway. I know this because: I often drive across a 24 mile long bridge, 2-lanes each direction - straight as an arrow (Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, Louisiana) and when I do I use cruise control and set my dash display to MPG so I can see what my fuel mileage is and how it varies behind cars, trucks, headwinds, tailwinds, etc. I really only glance at it a few times during the crossing. But when I am wearing polarized prescription eyeglasses, I can't read the display as the polarization makes it look solid black. And I am nearsighted. So if I lift my glasses off my nose and lean slightly towards the display (top center dash) to read it, I'll drift a good bit in just a couple seconds (at 70 mph). Of course I never do it with other vehicles around me other than a big truck up front - fun to see how much fuel my car saves drafting a truck, even a pickup.

My point - there is NO WAY I can look at my phone. I just drop it in the console and forget about it. However, others on the bridge look at their phones (I can easily SEE THEM DOING IT) and drift all over the place. And usually their speed drops to become a road hazard on this busy commuter artery (no bikes allowed BTW) where traffic instantly piles up behind them causing other ppl to change lanes to avoid them. It can be mayhem with the right (wrong) combo of commuters who just want that 24 miles to go away ASAP.

So the SIMPLEST possible driving scenario - 20 minutes with zero crossings, lights, speed zones, or turns, (and absolutely NOTHING to look at but the road because it's like driving across an ocean) becomes an unnecessary white knuckle event - during commuter hours especially.

So yeah, I'm not the least but surprised by an study claiming that doing anything that takes eyes off the road ahead for more than one or two second is going to cause a long list of problems.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-06-23 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-06-23, 12:33 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I can't drive anywhere without seeing appallingly bad driving. When I am able to confirm, distractions are almost always at play. It's interesting to note how often the vehicles involved have damage in multiple places on them. I'd love to see some focus on distracted driving enforcement, and I'd love to see insurance companies treat infractions as seriously as they should be treated.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-06-23, 02:48 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
....... I'd love to see some focus on distracted driving enforcement, and I'd love to see insurance companies treat infractions as seriously as they should be treated.
The problem is that there are so many kinds of distracted driving, besides cell phone use which gets most of the attention. So enforcement has two problems, the first is eyes can't be everywhere. The second is that distraction, per se, is too subjective to enforce in a free society.

I believe that one approach might be to change insurance rules, so drivers have a higher financial stake.

I'd like to see meaningfully higher deductibles, and possibly co-pays on collision and property damage insurance. Something like a $1,000 deductible, and 10% capped copay, might make people self regulate more. I'm sure that it will make parents think longer before giving cars to teens.

Old 08-06-23, 04:35 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Kid texting rear ended my vehicle and totalled it. It's not getting better.
Babied a Subaru Forester from 2010 until 2015 with the purpose of giving it to my eldest granddaughter. A teen rear ended my daughter and totaled. Things didn't work out.
Old 08-06-23, 04:48 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Until last October NONE of the vehicles (cars, trucks, school and commuter bus) I ever drove had a center dash-mounted display screen of any kind. Gauges yes, analogue or digital, but nothing that required any kind of 'interpretation' or much concentration to glean meaning off what they were showing me.

I bought a 2017 Subaru Impreza (more out of desperation than any other reason; the MINI Cooper I'd been driving since 12/2010 had 94,000 miles on it and needed servicing to remain reliable but proper service where I live now could not be found) and there's a touch screen smack dab in the center dash I try to ignore.

Only useful thing it displays is the back-up camera when I'm backing up, particularly in a parking lot when I can't find a spot to back into so I can see what's coming when I want to leave.

I'm of the opinion that the touchscreen display in many contemporary vehicles is likely responsible for more injuries than the cellphones that came a decade before. Love to see some relevant studies to support / refute that conjecture.
Old 08-06-23, 05:13 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by spclark
Until last October NONE of the vehicles (cars, trucks, school and commuter bus) I ever drove had a center dash-mounted display screen of any kind. Gauges yes, analogue or digital, but nothing that required any kind of 'interpretation' or much concentration to glean meaning off what they were showing me.
Like you I'm a fan of separate single function gauges directly in front of me. Likewise with radio and heater controls that provide direct feedback via position or touch. I rent various cars and absolutely hate cars that force me to look at a center console screen to adjust heat or A/C, the radio, and even had one where windshield wiper speed showed there.

IMO - NO control or gauge should need anything more than finger feedback or a 1/4 sec flick of the eye to use. BTW- as a nearsighted person who uses glasses to drive, I also hate digital speedometers because I can't tell the difference between a 0 and 8 (for example) without lifting my glasses slightly and looking below them, whereas I have no problem reading a dial. (Please don't tell me to get bifocals)

Old 08-06-23, 05:23 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The second is that distraction, per se, is too subjective to enforce in a free society.

Not really. There is almost always a violation of the law that I see associated with the distractions that I witness. Drifting out of lane, slower traffic in left lane, disregarding traffic control device etc. Laws can be written so that when a violation of the law occurs and the officer witnesses a distraction such as manipulating a phone, changing a diaper, eating a bowl of cereal etc. it can be a double whammy. I see our state troopers regularly writing tickets on our interstate on and off ramps where motorists often exceed the speed limit. I have never in my life seen an accident on an on or off ramp. I am sure it happens, but with enough frequency to make speed enforcement there a priority? I doubt it seriously. There are crashes on the adjacent interstate regularly.
Old 08-06-23, 06:09 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Not really. There is almost always a violation of the law that I see associated .....
With respect to tickets on off ramps, I SUSPECT that it's not about something that happened on the ramp, and more likely something before like an unsafe move to exit from the center lane.

But the bigger issue is that you and I have very different worldviews. You believe in regulating behavior via police enforcement, or fear of such.

I'm less willing to trust police with excessive discretion, and also unwilling to live with police everywhere (via cameras). I prefer to encourage positive actions by bringing back greater personal responsibility for consequences.

We enforce speed limits for safety, and under the law 65 in 55 is the same for everybody. But the reality is that not everyone is equally safe or dangerous at any given speed. So, I'm more interested in raising the costs for those who dangerously, than enforcing by-the-book law.

This isn't a value judgement. It's simply a different opinion in how best to make free society function.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-06-23 at 06:13 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-22-23, 09:48 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Cell Phone Whistle Blower Law:

Pass a law that rewards law-abiding, concerned citizens for reporting illegal phone use. Make the penalties steep and give "whistle blowers" 1/3 of the fines, or $100, whichever is more. Make repeat penalties grow exponentially for drivers who continue to endanger others, and unpaid fines result in the boot to render the scofflaw’s vehicle useless.

Just have other (non-driving) road users take a quick pic of a driver breaking the law and the vehicle license plate, send it to the DMV and you get a hundred bucks! And if you're caught driving and taking a picture of another driver, the fine's doubled. This will help prevent "unintended consequences" of idiots causing collisions while taking pictures of other drivers!

We know we don't have NEARLY the number of police to effectively enforce cell phone laws, so let the public help out.

Pretty simple. The public gets rewarded for reporting scofflaws and we get safer roads!
Old 08-22-23, 11:55 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Cell Phone Whistle Blower Law:

Pass a law that rewards law-abiding, concerned citizens for reporting illegal phone use. Make the penalties steep and give "whistle blowers" 1/3 of the fines.......
Sounds Great!!!!!

If it works, we can expand to all sorts of anti-social conduct.

So, the real question is----- Is solving this kind of problem worth creating a society where everyone is constantly reporting others for profit? Does anyone really want to live like that?

Old 08-23-23, 09:10 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Certainly not a society I'd wish live in.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-23-23, 09:25 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Sounds Great!!!!!

If it works, we can expand to all sorts of anti-social conduct.

So, the real question is----- Is solving this kind of problem worth creating a society where everyone is constantly reporting others for profit? Does anyone really want to live like that?
just another step toward fascism.

The best way to fight this is to shove it right back in their face. You know darn well who the folks who support this crap are. Just call the cops and say you THINK YOU saw them using their cell phone. Or [heavens!] they drifted into the “bike lane” or [heavens!] the bus lane! You realize they will have more hassle with the cops than shoplifters?

Better yet: (and this has already happened a few times), people have been reported/photoed while using their cell phones in traffic jams to tell folks they’ll be late or whatever. I’m sure using your cell while sitting in a traffic jam is a real threat to society (right up there with BLM roadblocks). In any case they sued for harassment and got a nice settlement.

seriously, the reason I oppose this law? Just another reason for the state to levy a fee or harass folks. Once cops stop you they can have a field day searching your vehicle. And unless you have a good lawyer like the folks above had (they WERE LAWYERS! Ha!) you have no recourse.

Last edited by Roughstuff; 08-23-23 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 08-23-23, 01:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Better yet: (and this has already happened a few times), people have been reported/photoed while using their cell phones in traffic jams to tell folks they’ll be late or whatever. I’m sure using your cell while sitting in a traffic jam is a real threat to society (right up there with BLM roadblocks). In any case they sued for harassment and got a nice settlement.
I believe that the posters who report that almost every driver they see is texting while driving, are extrapolating from viewing some drivers holding a phone while motionless at traffic light and exaggerating whatever they see as Danger, Danger, Danger; Texting, Texting, Texting! when the only threat from such activity is that the driver may not be ready to make a jack rabbit move when the light turns green, prompting a toot from another car.

Reports from DeputyDawg wannabes are likely as reliable as those from "concerned citizens" reporting anonymously to the police about people who don't seem to belong in their neighborhood. There are other agendas at work for those people so anxious to "report" on activities of people who they don't like.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-23-23 at 01:22 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-23-23, 01:51 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Hmm...interesting related issue. Has any one here tried these programs run by insurance companies where you allow your cell phone to send information on "how you drive" (how do you brake...do you signal soon enough....do you go the speed limit...etc) to your insurance company, and they adjust your premiums accordingly? I don't think of myself as a particularly good driver, (which is why I don't drive much) so I haven't considered a program like this.

It is kind of spooky in a way, but if it works who knows.
Old 08-23-23, 02:00 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Hmm...interesting related issue. Has any one here tried these programs run by insurance companies where you allow your cell phone to send information on "how you drive" (how do you brake...do you signal soon enough....do you go the speed limit...etc) to your insurance company, and they adjust your premiums accordingly? I don't think of myself as a particularly good driver, (which is why I don't drive much) so I haven't considered a program like this.

It is kind of spooky in a way, but if it works who knows.
Never heard of that, but it sounds like a great idea. Everyone gets to decide whether to remain surveillance-free or (one hopes) save money and maybe drive more safely or at least be rewarded from driving safely.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-23-23, 03:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Never heard of that, but it sounds like a great idea. Everyone gets to decide whether to remain surveillance-free or (one hopes) save money and maybe drive more safely or at least be rewarded from driving safely.
State Farm offered their Drive Safe and Save to me for my 2022 Corolla but it doesn't appear to offer me much over the discounts I already receive for over 20 years of accident free driving and low mileage (less than 7,500 miles/year.) In addition it requires having a turned on, Bluetooth activated smartphone present at all times in the car when driving. Given that I do not usually carry a smartphone and my wife never does it is a no-go. Privacy considerations are another serious concern with this program.

More info at:State Farm Drive Safe and Save Info
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-23-23, 07:35 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Similarly, while I wouldn't likely sign up for that in any case my agent advised that the savings would be inconsequential in my situation.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-25-23, 11:43 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Those of us who came of age when transistor radios were a novelty are used to living without constant inputs.
This trope again. The worst distracted drivers I continue to observe on a daily basis are senior citizens who are straight up phone addicted. I watch them daily at stop lights, and continue looking down after the light turns green. Lots o' wrinkles on their faces - it's easy to see them because the phone lights up their faces for me. The younger people seem to be a bit more self-aware that it's not cool, but they do it anyway. They tend to look up more from the phone screen (possibly scouting for cops?). The seniors just look totally disconnected from the world around them.

Let me tell you. It's really really fun driving the two hours to another city to go to dinner with my family once or twice a year. And instead of asking me about my life, all four of them - my parents and two siblings sit at the table staring down at phone screens. They can. not. be. pulled. away. Nothing seems to work.

No amount of shaming works on them. Five minutes after I bring it up - they are back to their phone screens once they finish the next thought. Age has absolutely zero to do with this problem. My siblings are 25 and 30 respectively. None of my 30yo cousins engage in this type of behavior. But plenty of college aged individuals do - including both times I was hit by distracted drivers. This is a problem of individuals who voluntarily surrender any semblance of willpower over to an algorithm that gives them short sweet dopamine rushes of likes and indignant rage. It takes exercising willpower and self-awareness to overcome what is becoming an addiction to many. I fall into the trap on occasion but never while driving. It's tough when it's on us all the time and in our faces - but it definitely isn't an age thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.