Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are All These Damaged Tires Really Beyond any Possible Repair?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 12:04 AM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

These are all really nice tires that were damaged. I put them aside, thinking someday I would find a way to make them usable again. No I a thinking my hope was misguided. Here are picture of the tires and I wonder whether there is a way to repair at least some of these

Last edited by danallen; 10-07-23 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 10-07-23, 12:35 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
All but #6 are repairable, though I'd probably only use them in the rear.

You need cloth reinforced patches (search "tire boots"), applied on the inside oriented on the bias to match the tire's plies.

Then finish with tread filler on the outside.

That's the idea, and there's plenty of info available on thd net to fill in the details.

FWIW I've routinely done similar repairs and many worse then yours. Even tire 6 can be made rideable, but only as an emergency in lieu of walking 25 miles. Generally, I prefer to fix and put back into service at the first opportunity, so they don't accumulate, and I'm only using one at a time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-07-23, 06:48 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 835 Posts
My rule is I slowly inflate the suspect tire to just about rated pressure and look for any bulges (cut cords) at the damage site or "wiggles" (cord separations) anywhere around the tire. If I discover a cord separation (which can be invisible when deflated), the tire is done, as it will get progressively worse. If there is no bulge at the damage site and the cord damage is minimal, it is noted as fit for service. If there is a bulge, I boot the tire using either commercial boot material or cut-up very thin tire casing (preferably from a failed tubular) and use a flexible filler such as Shoe Goo to fill tread gaps if needed. Two of my active-duty tires are fixed this way and are showing no additional progressive failing at the repair sites.

Sample photo of a cord separation "wiggle" for reference:

The only other type of tire failure that in my experience is not fixable is anything involving a cord separation or split at the tire bead. Even a small cut or tear at the bead seems to quickly become an uncontrollable aneurysm or earth-shattering kaboom. Which is unfortunate when it happens on the road, as it did last year on a 20" tire on my Bike Friday. Even with booting, gaffer's tape, and less than 10 psi, it wouldn't stay together. I had to get a ride home.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 10-07-23 at 06:58 AM. Reason: add pix
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-07-23, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
All but the last I'd try to use again. Probably by cutting some of the adhesive emergency repair sail tape I still have. But the cloth reinforced tire patches or boots are likely better. If the cut area still bulges out quite a bit then you might be a little wary of it for rides you want to go as perfect as possible. So not for my century ride or regular group rides where others will snub you for holding them up if they failed. But for solo rides or use on another bike, why not?
Old 10-07-23, 04:06 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
If the ply is so damaged such that a tube bulges at it, these I toss or cut up to make tire liners (discarded thin road slicks make great liners).

Otherwise if I see a tube doesn't bulge from it, I cement the inside of the tire with a scrap piece of inner tube just so water doesn't enter, and these tires I use all the time for my train station beaters.
Old 10-07-23, 05:04 PM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am in shock.
Do all the notes posted so far apply to CLINCHER tires?
I don't know why I had such incorrect information. I had the impression from somewhere that repairing tires does not ever work. I have so.e documentation and video on the details of how to do this. All these tires have low milage on them. They were damages by crud that exists all over the large city where I live (Houston, tx)TX.

Thank you for waking me up what can be done.

Last edited by danallen; 10-07-23 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 11:08 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
I am in shock.
Do all the notes posted so far apply to CLINCHER tires?
I don't know why I had such incorrect information. I had the impression from somewhere that repairing tires does not ever work. I have so.e documentation and video on the details of how to do this. All these tires have low milage on them. They were damages by crud that exists all over the large city where I live (Houston, tx)TX.

Thank you for waking me up what can be done.
Park tire boots are your friend. Carry one in your repair kit. Very tough. Not sure what folks put in the external cut. I have used Shoe Goo on one tire. It held up fine. I think cut cords on sidewalls deserve a new tire after you limp home with a Park boot
Old 10-08-23, 08:04 AM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I have cut up Tyvek envelopes and carried them in my saddle bag for situations where I need an emergency tire boot. I needed them one time, and I was able to go 15 miles back to my car. I have also used Gorilla tape to wrap tools in my bag, but I never used Gorilla tape as a tire boot. I guess that Gorilla tape would also work well as a temporary tire boot.
Old 10-08-23, 08:41 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
...damages by crud that exists all over the large city where I live (Houston, tx)TX...
Yep... And that's with all tires, Car, Motorcycle, Tractors, Trucks, and Bicycles...

Originally Posted by FBinNY
All but #6 are repairable, though I'd probably only use them in the rear....
Thank You FB for the survival note, that I personally learned the hard way.

Best tires Always go UP FRONT!
Old 10-08-23, 05:00 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
I have cut up Tyvek envelopes and carried them in my saddle bag for situations where I need an emergency tire boot. I needed them one time, and I was able to go 15 miles back to my car. I have also used Gorilla tape to wrap tools in my bag, but I never used Gorilla tape as a tire boot. I guess that Gorilla tape would also work well as a temporary tire boot.
Likewise on the Tyvek. I have used it dozens of times. Paper currency (from most countries) works as well.