Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What handlebars would be similar to these...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 10:17 AM
sjt78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been checking out handlebars and was going to get trekking bars, but I think I decided to go in a different direction. This is a picture of my bike and the stock bars that come on it:

You see they are just a classic arched bar. I want bars that will allow me to keep my stem (24.5mm clamp), similar sweep angle, but will allow me to get a little less upright and extend my reach forward. Most of the bars I see out there that are North Road style put the grips too far back and will make me even more upright. I also do not want my grips anywhere close to parallel to my top tube...never felt right to me. For example, I am going to put my set of Nitto Moustach bars on ebay because they never felt right (PM me if interested in a set that are barely used). I checked out what REI is putting on the new model of my bike and I think those bars are close to what I'd want. Here is a link to the new model: https://www.rei.com/product/808786. Check out the middle picture for a good angle of the bars. Any clue what kind of bars I can purchase would be close to those? I'd prefer an aluminum bar but would not rule out steel. Any advise would be very helpful as the pictures on Civia, Somafab, etc. sometimes don't give you a good angle of the bars to see sweep angle, etc. Thanks.
Old 03-19-11, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
QBP as usual, your LBS or like these guys https://www.bikeman.com/HB2092.html

Nitto made the Arc bar Bridgestone used , I have 1 in a bin around here somewhere.

Merry Sales Dist. : https://www.bikeman.com/BTI-SF1244.html AKA soma.
those in trendy colours too..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-19-11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-19-11, 11:23 AM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
QBP as usual, your LBS or like these guys https://www.bikeman.com/HB2092.html

Nitto made the Arc bar Bridgestone used , I have 1 in a bin around here somewhere.

Merry Sales Dist. : https://www.bikeman.com/BTI-SF1244.html AKA soma.
those in trendy colours too..
Sorry, you didn't read my post. I have the bars in the above picture and do not want them. Follow the link to the new model of my bike to see the type of bars I want.
Old 03-19-11, 11:25 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
They look similar to the Velo Orange Tourist bars I have on my utility cruiser. (out of stock, currently)

Old 03-20-11, 03:47 AM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Tourist bar from Velo Orange looks decent, but I'd like little to no rise if possible. They seem to have quite a bit of rise. One bar that I found that looks promising and might be close to what I want is the Colfax from Civia Cycles: https://civiacycles.com/components/colfax_handlebar/. I assume the bike in the picture above has the 25 degree model.
Old 03-20-11, 11:02 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the looks of the Civia bars. I just logged on to ask if anyone had moustache bars with barcons and how they liked/disliked them. My hands don't appreciate flat bars much, so I'm trying a different approach. I think I'll like the bars being parallel with the top tube, and the availability of other hand positions too. Mine should be in this week.
Old 03-21-11, 09:00 AM
elbows

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're happy with the bars and just want more reach, wouldn't it be easier to swap the stem?
Old 03-21-11, 09:07 AM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elbows
If you're happy with the bars and just want more reach, wouldn't it be easier to swap the stem?
One would think, but not really. The stem is an 1-1/8" quill stem. There are not too many options for that size stem and I don't mind the stem. I just want a little more reach and a different style. So far the Colfax is the only one so far that looks to be a winner. Can anyone find another bar similar to that? Maybe I will search the QBP catalog and see what kind of generic bars they have.
Old 03-21-11, 09:11 AM
velo-orange

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Without being too self interested, have you looked at our other handlebars, aside from the Tourist? The Milan and Porteur bars are lower rise/ drop than the tourists.
https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...anufacturer=45

Old 03-21-11, 04:21 PM
duffetta 

Bikes: 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1, 2019 AllCity Macho Man commuter, 2015 Fuji Gran Fondo Shimano 105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would any of the bars on this page at Kona fit the bill? https://www.konaworld.com/page.cfm?content=components
Old 03-21-11, 04:33 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On-One Mary I bet is pretty close or even Surly Open Bar which is more of cruiser bar.
Old 03-21-11, 08:39 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of the Kona, On-Ones or Surlys look great to me. I stumbled up on the Jitensha City handlebar by Nitto (https://store.citygrounds.com/store/p...dlebar-Silver/) that looks good but the clamp is 26.0. Darn it.
Old 03-21-11, 08:55 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The On-One Fleegle looks also similar to what you linked there.
Old 03-21-11, 09:25 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Soma bars.
Or the awsome bars from Misfit Psycles. Google Fubar, fu2bar, nubar etc handlebar images to see how it looks. Great bars.
Become reality to me
Old 03-22-11, 09:57 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sjt78
None of the Kona, On-Ones or Surlys look great to me. I stumbled up on the Jitensha City handlebar by Nitto (https://store.citygrounds.com/store/p...dlebar-Silver/) that looks good but the clamp is 26.0. Darn it.
What don't you like about the Marys? I too would have thought those were close. I have the Felt Albert bars pictured here on my 2009 Felt X City, and I really like them.
Old 03-22-11, 10:05 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of the Mary bars, and they're pretty close to what you are describing. Hands come in, but not parallel - the design puts your hands in the same spot as if you were using a flat or riser bar. Doesn't bring them back. I think the Mary has a bit more sweep in it than your arc bars though, I've got a very similar set of arc bars on my Dahon and the Mary bar sweeps quite a bit more.

Perhaps the Soma Condorina? It sweeps a bit like an arc bar but has a design that keeps it from coming towards you as well. Plus, it looks awesome.
Old 03-22-11, 11:32 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
What don't you like about the Marys? I too would have thought those were close. I have the Felt Albert bars pictured here on my 2009 Felt X City, and I really like them.
Going by the pictures I found of the Mary bars, it does not look there is much of a horizontal section near the clamp area to install my lights and computer. The bends look okay though. I really like those Felt bars as that is really close to what I want, but they are black and I don't see them on their website. They kind of look similar to the Colfax. I wish I had a shop around here that specialized in town/city bikes that I can go and put my hands on different shaped bars. I'm still leaning toward the Colfax and may just order the 50 degree version and if it isn't what I want I can use it on my other bike that currently has the Nitto Moustache bars that I don't like.
Old 03-23-11, 12:01 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really like the Alberts. When I first saw them, I thought "That is what I'll change first". I initially put bar ends on them, but never used them, so I took them off. Very comfortable bars. I'd like a similar pair for my mountain bike, and I've thought about trying the Marys.

BTW, I put my light in the bend of the Alberts. If I ever put a computer on this bike, I'll get one that fits on the stem. The shape doesn't leave you a lot of real estate, but it works ok. Not sure about the Marys.
Old 04-05-11, 01:16 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted a picture of the Civia Colfax 50 degree bars that I bought in another thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-for-commuter. Not 100% what I was looking for, but they are comfortable. They actually place my hands about 1" closer to me than the stock bars, but put my hands in a better position. I need to get some miles on them before I judge. I changed a few things about the bike so I need to re-acclimate.
Old 04-06-11, 02:37 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You are right about the lack of flat spots on Mary bars. As soon as the tube leaves the clamp area, it slopes forward in anticipation of the rear sweep further out. A simple bar clamp accessory will not face forward.
Otherwise, the Mary is a really comfortable bar with a good neutral wrist position.
Old 04-06-11, 08:51 AM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, what I like about the Colfax bars is that I have about 2.5"-3" of flat bar on each side of the stem for my computer, lights, etc.
Old 04-06-11, 12:29 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I actually have my light mounted on the flat part near the stem on my Albert bars. Not sure what I was thinking when I posted otherwise.

Those Colfax bars look very similar. And very nice.