Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 11:29 AM
zenout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross chaining

Once in a while I cross chain and of course i should not be.Id say half the time when i cross the chain the chain drops.Is it common for the chain to drop when i make this error or do i need an adjustment.Of course, the best answer is to simply not cross chain and just get better and become more aware.Thanks.
Old 04-06-13, 12:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
How's it dropping? Off your large ring onto your small? What drivetrain? Most drivetrains will make noise when you're cross chained.

I try not to cross chain but I periodically will go large/large for short periods (until I notice I'm doing it, ha ha) and no chains get dropped. Besides putting an unusual amount of stress on your RD from a tight chain, I think it tends to wear out your components a little faster but it shouldn't drop on you. YMMV.
Old 04-06-13, 10:13 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The (cheap) FSA Vero compact crank on my old bike would drop a chain if you went from big-to-small while cross chaining. In order to avoid this I would downshift as I was approaching a hill, rather than wait until I was already climbing. If the chain is dropping just from cross chaining alone than something is wrong with your bike.

Last edited by Dunbar; 04-06-13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 03:41 PM
megalowmatt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a shameless cross-chainer. Never had an issue with dropping the chain.
Old 04-07-13, 08:31 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Dunbar
The (cheap) FSA Vero compact crank on my old bike would drop a chain if you went from big-to-small while cross chaining. In order to avoid this I would downshift as I was approaching a hill, rather than wait until I was already climbing. If the chain is dropping just from cross chaining alone than something is wrong with your bike.
Interesting that you mention this - my Red crank would do the same thing, so I typically shifted up a few gears in the rear before down shifting. I think I just didn't have it adjusted correctly though. I put those new yaw chainrings and FD on the bike (changed frames, needed a braze on anyway) and although it may be the chain catcher, I now have zero problems shifting in front.

So yeah, you can always add a chain catcher.
Old 04-07-13, 10:48 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
I'm a shameless cross-chainer. Never had an issue with dropping the chain.
+1
What's the point of owning a 27 speed bike if you can't use all 27 speeds ?
Old 04-08-13, 12:09 AM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So yeah, you can always add a chain catcher.
My new bike is full Shimano 105 5700 and I haven't had any chain drops in 2000+ miles. You always hear how Shimano makes the best cranks for shift quality. I have a chain catcher on the new bike but I thought they were more to prevent frame damage in the event the chain drops.
Old 04-08-13, 12:23 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I think chain catchers prevent chain drops at all, which of course has the effect of preventing frame damage. I'm not sure how yours is mounted but mine looks like there's no possible way you could dump a chain off the low end. Well worth it in the age of carbon frames IMO.
Old 04-08-13, 08:33 AM
ovoleg