Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

**Report issues with the June 21, 2016 BF software migration here**

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

**Report issues with the June 21, 2016 BF software migration here**

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 08:39 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
While we are on the subject of User Interface issues, why is the UserCP link on the far left of the page??? Just about every other link one uses (or at least that I use) for everything except browsing the threads of a forum is on the right. Log in, top of page, quote, next or other page, edit, last entry in thread, show all subscribed threads, log out, scroll bar for the current page, etc., all are on the right. But checking for new entries on one's subscribed threads just before logging out requires moving the cursor back to the left. It's a minor detail but an inconvenience nevertheless that could have been done differently. On the previous pages "Settings" was on the right. Why can't UserCP be there???
I've seen the link to access recent post subscriptions placed differently on different forums. I frequent this site and Honda-Tech.com (another IB site), and Honda-Tech has always had User CP on the top left, ever since H-T switched to VB way back in 2009 or so. Another forum I frequent for work stuff is on VB 4.2 and its New Posts and Control Panel links are centered near the top. ToyotaNation.com has them placed differently still.

Once you get used to where it is, you will naturally gravitate there anyway.
Old 07-01-16, 08:45 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
+1 to all of this. I'm using an almost brand new Windows 10 Pro at home an Windows 7 at work (of course, only on my lunch break ). I started seeing shockwave crashes at work today, and the site has been very slow to load on my home computer for the past two days. More updates or changes going on that would affect it, perhaps? But there is a LOT of video advertising as well.
The size of your paging file might need to be increased. Here's how:

Click on CONTROL PANEL>>SYSTEM AND SECURITY>>SYSTEM>>REMOTE SETTINGS on the left hand side of the page>>SYSTEM PROPERTIES click ADVANCE tab>>click SETTINGS button under Performance>>click ADVANCED tab

Then click CHANGE button in the virtual memory box. This will allow you to change the size of the paging file – a modification which may speed up you computer’s ability to load sites. It worked for me.
Old 07-01-16, 09:59 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Hi everyone. Embedded videos should now be fixed. I know there was an issue for some trying to view vids that were put in before the switch.
Old 07-01-16, 10:11 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkoko
The size of your paging file might need to be increased. Here's how:

Click on CONTROL PANEL>>SYSTEM AND SECURITY>>SYSTEM>>REMOTE SETTINGS on the left hand side of the page>>SYSTEM PROPERTIES click ADVANCE tab>>click SETTINGS button under Performance>>click ADVANCED tab

Then click CHANGE button in the virtual memory box. This will allow you to change the size of the paging file – a modification which may speed up you computer’s ability to load sites. It worked for me.
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hi everyone. Embedded videos should now be fixed. I know there was an issue for some trying to view vids that were put in before the switch.
Thanks!
Old 07-01-16, 11:12 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I've seen the link to access recent post subscriptions placed differently on different forums....
Once you get used to where it is, you will naturally gravitate there anyway.
For someone (like myself) who does NOT frequent other forums, where other forums put the UserCP link irrelevant.

For importantly, yes one can get used to having any link be anywhere, but it still requires the extra mouse movement to use it if it not in a convenient location. Getting used to it does not change that.
Old 07-01-16, 11:14 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
"First new post" button should now be working, as well.
Old 07-01-16, 12:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
"First new post" button should now be working, as well.
Thank you for that and for your other work.

Does the first new post bring me to the first new post since I read the thread or since I last logged into bikeforums. I prefer the former but I've been getting the latter which makes me miss some posts.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-01-16, 12:31 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

As far as I know, the first new post button next to an "unread" topic takes me to the first post since I last read it. I believe it's always worked that way as far as I know.

For instance I was just looking at my User CP and all threads showed as read (not bold-face font). I looked at the Commuting forum for a few minutes, then went back to the User CP. Someone had just posted in a subscribed thread, so it showed up as bold-face at the top of my list with the First New Post button showing to the left of the thread title. I clicked on that button and it took me directly to that post. I had been here browsing BF during that whole time.
Old 07-01-16, 12:35 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
As far as I know, the first new post button next to an "unread" topic takes me to the first post since I last read it. I believe it's always worked that way as far as I know.
That hasn't been my experience. In some active threads, like "Are you looking for one of these?", not only have I found I'm not notified of every post, but when I do get an email notification, clicking the "first unread" link often takes me well past the last message I actually read. I hope the new version improves on that behavior (actually, both - notify me of every post to subscribed threads, and really take me to the first post I've not yet seen).
Old 07-01-16, 02:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Thanks again to the team.

When I type "bi" in the address/search box in Chrome, it autocompletes to https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php...e=vBForum_Post. I hit return, and sometimes but not always, I get the page that says, "This forum requires that you wait 5 seconds between searches. Please try again in 2 seconds."

The timeout on things becoming old since last visit seems tighter than it was, but this doesn't seem like a problem, just different.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-01-16, 11:05 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
here's a video tip i just learned.

if you want to add video, you just paste in the link.

but if you want to hide video within text using "url" html, you now need to place single quotes around the video link, like this.

previously to this rollout, no quotes were needed.

double quotes will give the video a title.

single quotes will hide the video within the text.
Old 07-03-16, 05:18 AM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my device I can only upload one photo in Go Advanced and then manage attachments. This is very frustrating, I did not have this problem before.
It seems to be a less function able "upgrade" and very frustrating, also on the go advanced page on my phone the writing goes from normal on the previous page to tiny and unreadable on the Go Advanced page!
We are all for the most part hard working people with fast paced full lives, why should we need to turn around and go through all of this to relax on a forum?
Not cool at all, I realize change is needed but from what I read most users were happy before and now a large portion are disgruntled, how is this a move forward?
Old 07-03-16, 06:57 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

It strikes me that there are two kinds of "issues", those involving things which don't work and those involving poor choices for seemingly minor details. In my experience people who should be working on the issues tend to see the former but ignore the latter by dismissing them as merely the dissatisfaction of users used to the older ways. Or to put it another way, this is a challenge to BF administrators to consider the "minor" details we complain about as real rather than to believe that their own judgment on such things is flawless.

Okay, here is an issue. I don't know whether it is some new behavior on my computer or something related to the new layout, but I never saw it before.

I was typing a note in a different thread and hit the Go Advanced buttons. What came up was a preview of my existing typing all strung out on a single line rather than with line breaks at the right margin. My browser, Firefox, apparently having received some formatting clue that it should be displayed that way, gave me a horizontal scroll bar so I could see it all. However the content in the Message box where one types was formatted nicely. When I was ready to post the note, the Post Quick Reply and Preview buttons were well off the screen to the right because the whole display page was extended to the right. I don't know what caused this, but as I say, it never happened before.

It is only a "minor inconvenience" but it detracts from the enjoyment experience, and for most of us BF is purely recreational anyway. When it is no longer enjoyable enough I (speaking only for myself) will have no reason to continue my membership.

Last edited by jimmuller; 07-03-16 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 07:33 AM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim, I came back into the forum after I guess a 12 month hiatus due to health, got involved in Narhays Clunker Challange 100, then the software "upgrade" happened and I now wonder if coming onto the forum is worth it? I used to very much enjoy it but the "downgrade" and it's list of problems is frustrating to say the least.
It is sure not something I would pay for as I was planning on, and I do feel for the people who are, I personally would feel jipped.
Old 07-03-16, 07:38 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, at what point did we need to loose the remembrance of Tom Stormcrowe?
Old 07-03-16, 08:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Thanks again to the team.

When I type "bi" in the address/search box in Chrome, it autocompletes to https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php...e=vBForum_Post. I hit return, and sometimes but not always, I get the page that says, "This forum requires that you wait 5 seconds between searches. Please try again in 2 seconds."

The timeout on things becoming old since last visit seems tighter than it was, but this doesn't seem like a problem, just different.
You can't expect the forum people to fix this. You are using Chrome to recall a search, and BF is probably looking up browser cookies and thinking it's a search you just made. Don't accept the URL Chrome gives you when you type "bi".

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-03-16, 09:20 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,482 Times in 3,226 Posts
Is there any way to get the signature back to the bottom of the post box? They now look like part of the post...
Old 07-03-16, 09:49 AM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Mobile version starts in the middle of the thread, not at the first post

I've had this problem when viewing the mobile version on my Android, thought it was maybe my phone. But now, for the heck of it, I switched my desktop version to mobile (viewed in Chrome) and I'm getting the same behavior.

When I click on a new thread (one I've never read before), the thread will NOT display starting at the first post, but will display in the middle of the thread. I'll then scroll, scroll, scroll all the way back to the top - only to have it instantly jump back to the middle of the page.

I'm guessing it is due to certain embedded ads loading, however it is EXTREMELY annoying, and makes the mobile version almost unusable. Which is too bad, because the mobile version is a lot cleaner looking.

FYI
Old 07-03-16, 11:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Is there any way to get the signature back to the bottom of the post box? They now look like part of the post...
Yeah, that made me get rid of my signature because it was a quote and it looked like I was quoting that person in every one of my posts even when not relevant. Maybe that's the point.
Old 07-03-16, 11:02 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,482 Times in 3,226 Posts
How's this for confusing?
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, that made me get rid of my signature because it was a quote and it looked like I was quoting that person in every one of my posts even when not relevant. Maybe that's the point.
Old 07-03-16, 11:35 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle Addict
Also, at what point did we need to loose the remembrance of Tom Stormcrowe?
Don't know, but I think it was removed prior to this 'upgrade'...
Old 07-03-16, 01:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Two things...

Tom Stormcrowe's story is a motivational tale for all people, cyclists or not. A Legacy section for biographies and the history of BF legends should be there for all.

The second thing...

You guys banned a member on the first for 'high maintenance'. When you have a member with nearly 6,000 posts it can't possibly be a trite issue. I don't follow all his posts, I have a lot to do in my own life every day, but I have to wonder if we aren't starting to see the ban hammer over this platform change.

This is part of the reason I thought of bailing in the first place. I helped all I could to get us into vB4 in the first place. I don't understand, I think it's unfortunate what happened to IB and vBS.

A lot of people may be wondering like I have it we are under a psychological gulag state over the whole thing.

Well, once I learned the IB-vBS connection (again, I suppose, I'm old and tired)...I tried to help again.

But I'm sort of afraid to even try right now.

Please get the IB people out of daily responsibility here and run this site as we did under Tom.

This isn't 2009, even so.

If I have to sacrifice myself to get it back to nominal then I guess I can live with that. They practically begged me not to go. I might understand more of this than most others, even if I've never run a forums site or purchased software for forums.

I've been at this as a member in many sites for 20 years, and I paid attention and offered my ideas and what I DID know from using computers for 38 years.

This has to get resolved. Our website may be nowhere near 'dying' in a software metaphor but it's going to get worse if it's members aren't given some medium level of information that, even if they don't understand computerese, they can at least feel confident.

You're driving me nuts right now.

When I have members asking is I'm a staff member or with IB then I have to despair a little. I was honored that Tom thought me worthy of being a staff member but I can't do it. I have too many other things to do every day. I appreciate that people think I've got some skill or clout but I'm only here as a member doing what I should do, looking out for the entire membership and helping all I can.

no1mad: You were one of the last staff members brought on by Tom, and even I can see your frustration with one quote.

I don't have infinite patience and spirit either. There is no I in FORUM.

And I know eschlwc has been temporarily banned before, more than once. But I don't get it, and I'm retreating again. You're breaking my heart here. Get IB people out of the administration mix.

--Judas Derailleur?
Old 07-03-16, 02:01 PM
PatrickGSR94

The missing posts or "phantom" pages seems like it's getting worse. On this one there are now 2 page links showing beyond the actual last post, and the forum index shows 34 more posts than what it's actually showing on the last actual page.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...-pics-579.html
Old 07-03-16, 02:31 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Two things...
You guys banned a member on the first for 'high maintenance'.
RF, I have no idea what the back story is to this but I feel your frustration and sympathize.

What bothers me most is that the few responses I've seen have been rather limited in scope, mostly the occasional "we're working on it" for specific functionality issues. I have not seen much acknowledgement that other "non-problem" complaints are valid. It appears that whoever is responsible at this time for BF doesn't really care whether the site is user-friendly or even just user-usable so to speak. Companies go out of business when they make products which customers don't like even if those product actually do what they are claimed to do.

I've been "doing computer stuff" for over 35 years including programming embedded systems (FORTRAN, BASIC, Pascal, C and C++), signal processing, engineering and scientific applications on supercomputers, touchscreen GUI development, website development. I know what works from a user's perspective. In many ways this new BF layout is a step backwards. It is less fun and more difficult to use. This opinion has nothing to do with what I have become used to, it has to do with basic user interface interactions with the machine.
Old 07-03-16, 02:53 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The missing posts or "phantom" pages seems like it's getting worse. On this one there are now 2 page links showing beyond the actual last post, and the forum index shows 34 more posts than what it's actually showing on the last actual page.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...-pics-579.html
I'm showing 481 pages and 14422 posts (as of this post).

How many posts do you have set in your Display Options when viewing a page? That number ranges from 5 to 30 (in 5 unit increments). I have mine set to the max of 30. I'm sure if I adjusted that down, it would extend the number of pages.

ETA: I just changed my post per page value to 25 and that extended that thread to 577 pages.

Last edited by no1mad; 07-03-16 at 03:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.