Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

From Ksyriums to Vision Team 35s

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 06:13 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

Hello,

My rear 2018 Ksyrium Disc rim has cracked on several eyelets. Mavic are asking an arm and a leg to fix it, and it's impossible to find a spare rim even on ebay. Mavic has said to me I have to go through them as they don't sell spare rims.

I have found an almost new set of Vision Team 35 Disc wheels at a good price.

Will they be an improvement or at least the same level as the Mavics? I would hate to add worse components to the bike. I hope at least they are more reliable. I've been looking for reviews, but I only find ones about the rim brake variant.

I mostly ride hilly terrain. That's long climbs and fast descents. Rarely ride on flats.

Thanks!

Last edited by Amt0571; 07-10-23 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 06:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Those Visions are kinda heavy, they are "adequate" but probably a cut below the Mavics.

There are LOTS of other wheels out there to consider, depending on your budget.
Old 07-10-23, 06:47 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by datlas
Those Visions are kinda heavy, they are "adequate" but probably a cut below the Mavics.

There are LOTS of other wheels out there to consider, depending on your budget.
It was not a good month for the wheel to break. My budget is max 200€, so I'm mainly looking at the used market. I don't care about carbon or gimmicks I just want a wheel that works, doesn't break and doesn't weight a ton and has less usage than my Ksyriums (15.000km).

The Visions are certainly 150g heavier than my Ksyriums (they're the cheapest Ksyriums out there), but they're supposedly more aero with their taller profile. I hoped one thing would negate the other.

At this price point, considering I need discs, thru-axle and Shimano freehub, I'm only finding Visions, Mavics (which I don't want to repeat), a DT P1800 (same weight and profile as Ksyriums, more expensive than the Visions), and lots of Bontrager and Specialized stock wheels that seem rather low-end and cost the same as the Visions. I found some Fulcrums that look really nice and are certainly lighter, but they have been used too much for my taste, and I would have to pay for shipping as they are too far to pick them up.

You're making me reconsider the Visions anyway... I don't know what to do now. A big pro of the Visions is the seller lives close to me and I can see and test them if needed before buying.

Last edited by Amt0571; 07-10-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 06:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

At this price point, just take what you can get. Unless you are racing, these wheels will not be holding you back. Be sure to use some good tires....ride more and worry less.

Save up for better wheels for NEXT year.
Old 07-10-23, 07:00 AM
Amt0571

At this price point, just take what you can get. Unless you are racing, these wheels will not be holding you back. Be sure to use some good tires....ride more and worry less.

Save up for better wheels for NEXT year.
I'm not racing. I don't care about milliseconds, or even minutes on longer rides. I just want a bike that holds up and feels good. I just wanted to make sure it will still feel as good as before after replacing the wheels, as I'm extremely happy with my bike (except for the unexpected rim cracking) and would like to keep it this way.
Old 07-10-23, 07:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Others can chime in with their own experience, but I expect this wheel should be good enough for your needs.
Old 07-10-23, 07:38 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I'm not racing. I don't care about milliseconds, or even minutes on longer rides. I just want a bike that holds up and feels good. I just wanted to make sure it will still feel as good as before after replacing the wheels, as I'm extremely happy with my bike (except for the unexpected rim cracking) and would like to keep it this way.
You won't be disappointed with the Team 35s. My new Helix was equipped with the Team 30 db as part of Lysnkey's stock build. I was going to sell the wheelset because I have a handbuilt set on order. For a wheelset thats considered entry level, they seem to ride better than what they're labeled as. I set it up tubeless since they're tubeless compatible and the current Vittoria N.EXT tires on them mounted and seated quite easily. Ride wise, I'm right around 190lbs and these wheels don't seem to flex at all, even when out the saddle. My only takeaway is the freehub engagement when trying to accelerate from a stop as it's obviously not as fast when compared to better free hubs. But once you're rolling, the slight increase in weight isn't noticeable and you might be surprised to find this wheelset to ride a bit more comfortable than previous wheelsets.
Old 07-10-23, 07:50 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by primov8
You won't be disappointed with the Team 35s. My new Helix was equipped with the Team 30 db as part of Lysnkey's stock build. I was going to sell the wheelset because I have a handbuilt set on order. For a wheelset thats considered entry level, they seem to ride better than what they're labeled as. I set it up tubeless since they're tubeless compatible and the current Vittoria N.EXT tires on them mounted and seated quite easily. Ride wise, I'm right around 190lbs and these wheels don't seem to flex at all, even when out the saddle. My only takeaway is the freehub engagement when trying to accelerate from a stop as it's obviously not as fast when compared to better free hubs. But once you're rolling, the slight increase in weight isn't noticeable and you might be surprised to find this wheelset to ride a bit more comfortable than previous wheelsets.
That sounds great then. Hub engagement was great on the Mavic id360 hub, but to be honest, it was quite useless on a road bike.

I value quick engagement more on a mountain bike where it really offers an advantage on technical climbs.
Old 07-11-23, 12:18 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have a Bianchi with 2004 Ksyrium Equipes (rim brake, obvi), and my Lynskey came stock with Vision Team 30s (disc). In my opinion, the Visions feel like pigs - heavy and slow to spin up. Switching to the Bianchi is always a breath of fresh air when pulling away from a stoplight or getting out of the saddle. I swapped the Visions for some carbon wheels last year, and aside from shedding about a pound (~450g) from the bike, the bike now feels much less wooden. The Visions spin smoothly and are reliable, so there's that.

I wouldn't count out another Ksyrium rear wheel - 15k km sounds like you got some decent time out of it.

Lastly, is there something like Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace close to you? A friend of mine took off his new Hunt wheels when he received his bike and sold them in Like New, Unused condition for about $300 USD - not much more than your 200 GBP budget, I think (unless the GBP's collapsed again?)
Old 07-11-23, 12:24 PM
Amt0571

I have bought the Visions. They seem nice and are only 100g more than the Ksyirums. The freehub is really noisy but feels smooth (doesn't tend to drag the chain like the id360) and they look really well with their deeper profile.

I like that the freehub body is steel instead of aluminium, which means the sprockets won't dig in it.

I have only tried them on a short 100m climb and since I'm waiting for my centerlock to 6 bolts adapters to arrive, I have no brakes and had to descend walking.

Last edited by Amt0571; 07-11-23 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-11-23, 01:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Kudos.

Pic of new wheels on bike??
Old 07-11-23, 03:52 PM
Amt0571

Kudos.

Pic of new wheels on bike??
Of course. Brake rotors are missing though.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 07-11-23, 03:57 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Amt0571
Of course. Brake rotors are missing though.
Kudos!
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-01-23, 11:44 AM
Amt0571

Finally got back from holidays and got hold of a couple of centerlock to 6 bolts adapters.

I have just tested the new wheels and apart from a different sound when rolling and an extremely noisy freehub, the bike felt mostly the same. Possibly it feels slightly heavier when holding it, but I have never weighted it to be honest.

Probably has nothing to do with the wheels, but I have just beaten my record on a 7.8km ascent segment, improving my previous time by 48 seconds, at an average of 28.1km/h.