Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

84 and onward

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

84 and onward

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 07:50 AM
pelirary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
A very Happy Birthday. I love hearing that there are riders in their mid to late eighties still riding. Being 75 I always wonder how long I'll be able to do what I love.
Likes For pelirary:
Old 11-12-23, 11:46 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I'm sharing that I'm celebrating my 84th birthday today so that others who are younger might know you can still ride a bike at 84. I got a short ride in yesterday, and maybe even one this afternoon. So don't give up hope. A friend of mine who is the same age stopped bicycling 2 years ago because he said he lost his balance. I really think he lost his nerve. But I don't know for sure. Denver
Hi Denver, Belated happy birthday! Good to see you are still active. I still remember that rendezvous in Colorado all those years ago
I am exactly 13 months behind you and my stoker is just ahead of you by a couple of months! We still ride our tandem, albeit with a little e-assist to keep up with younger riders, although we now only ride about 60 miles per week compared to a hundred or more back in the day. I also do the occasional 25 on my Cytronex assisted Trek. I need assist as my asthmatic breathing has gotten worse since Covid. Otherwise we are fine in spite of medical hiccups along the way.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 11-14-23, 01:57 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
Happy Birthday! You’re an inspiration for all. Cycling and living a healthy lifestyle is money in the bank.
Old 11-14-23, 02:14 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Hi Denver, Belated happy birthday! Good to see you are still active. I still remember that rendezvous in Colorado all those years ago
I am exactly 13 months behind you and my stoker is just ahead of you by a couple of months! We still ride our tandem, albeit with a little e-assist to keep up with younger riders, although we now only ride about 60 miles per week compared to a hundred or more back in the day. I also do the occasional 25 on my Cytronex assisted Trek. I need assist as my asthmatic breathing has gotten worse since Covid. Otherwise we are fine in spite of medical hiccups along the way.
Yes I remember the first annual 50 plus bike ride in Glenwood springs quite clearly. Something I will never attempt to organize again. A lot of hard work went into it but we had some complex personality issues amongst some of the riders. I'm glad you're finding a way to enjoy your bicycling using electric assist. Keep on riding.
Likes For gobicycling: