Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike size as you age

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike size as you age

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 04:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My only thought is to be careful with the stack height with a threadless stem with what you plan to do. It probably varies by manufacturer but I'm thinking around 30-35 mm is about the highest you'd want to go otherwise risking over stressing the steerer.
Old 11-15-23, 07:02 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
My fit on the bike has become more aggressive and I now size down when buying a new bike rather than sizing up, primarily because my fitness and flexibility has increased with age.

It's been a fun journey. The best part is not looking back on my youth as the "glory days" and thinking "I'll never be as good as I was" because I wasn't that healthy in my youth and I wasn't very good on the bike . My best days are right now and my view on life is totally forward-looking. At age 53 I still have many years on the bike ahead of me, which is a great feeling .
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches: