Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't find creak origin

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't find creak origin

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 05:12 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Yes, I greased it. I have always done it like this on all my PF bikes with no issues.

What chemical should I use?
Loctite 609, 640 or 641.

In pressfit applications grease acts as a oxidation barrier (which you want) but also removes friction (which you do not want). Since bicycle pressfit BB's are often more of a slip fit than actual press fit, the bearings can move in their shells due to pedaling forces. Grease does nothing to stop this and can actually add to it. Bearing movement in a pressfit shell means wear which makes the pressfit shell even more loose.

The loctite 600 series compounds act as oxidation barriers and they lock the bearings in place against the pressfit shell by A) glueing the bearing in place and B) filling voids between the bearing outer race and pressfit shell with a hard plastic compound.

When you use a bearing locking compound such as the loctite 600 series it's important to install the crankset before the compound sets so you get the bearing alignment as close the perfect as possible. Once the compound sets the bearings stay put really well.
Old 12-21-23, 09:01 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Loctite 609, 640 or 641.

In pressfit applications grease acts as a oxidation barrier (which you want) but also removes friction (which you do not want). Since bicycle pressfit BB's are often more of a slip fit than actual press fit, the bearings can move in their shells due to pedaling forces. Grease does nothing to stop this and can actually add to it. Bearing movement in a pressfit shell means wear which makes the pressfit shell even more loose.

The loctite 600 series compounds act as oxidation barriers and they lock the bearings in place against the pressfit shell by A) glueing the bearing in place and B) filling voids between the bearing outer race and pressfit shell with a hard plastic compound.

When you use a bearing locking compound such as the loctite 600 series it's important to install the crankset before the compound sets so you get the bearing alignment as close the perfect as possible. Once the compound sets the bearings stay put really well.
Thanks for your explanation. I have already located the creak, It was the crankset spider (which is a separate piece). I'm going to remove the BB and reinstall it dry then.

I've been greasing PF BBs for ages without issues though. I have never used retaining compound either (I thought that was only required when the BB was loose).

BTW, I found some rust stains on the crank spindle and on the outside of the DS bearing. After a close examination, they came from the preload wave washer that, for whatever reason, had some rust on it. As usual, I think Shimano's solutions are better engineered (breaking Ultegra cranks notwithstanding).

Last edited by Amt0571; 12-21-23 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-21-23, 12:58 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I always solved my crank creaking/ticking noise by by removing chain rings, slightly sanding mating chain ring and crank matting surfaces, greasing the surfaces, and torquing to spec.
Recently, I did this twice, but the creaking/ticking remained.
So, I removed the cranks and inspected the press fit brgs. NDS was rotating (by hand) completely smoothly. DS had an imperceptible drag. Crank would rotate completely freely.
I considered that the brgs did not need to be replaced. Assembled the crank, and the creaking-ticking re-appeared.
I then removed the crank a 2nd time, and replaced the brgs, and creaking/ticking disappeared.
I didn't expect the noise to be from the brgs since in the past it was always from the crank/bolt/chainring assembly.
Maybe the noise was slightly different, but I can't recall that detail.
Old 12-21-23, 01:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Here is an int resting method.

Guy over in Austin had a creak no one could find. He tapped an old cell phone to different areas of his bike and set it to record sound when ridding. He was able to isolate a hair line crack at his seat tube water bottle cage. Go Figure...
Old 12-29-23, 01:48 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
My 5y/o road bike has started to creak sometimes. It seems more prone to do it when riding at night, so I suppose temperarture is a factor.

The creaking coincides with the crank movement and it also does it when standing up (so it's not a saddle issue). It creaks more when on the big chainring.

So far I've disassembled the cranks (Rival) and removed and reinstalled the bottom bracket. Bottom bracket is pressfit but has never creaked in 5 years. I regreased everything when I assembled it. I also disassembled the chainrings and greased the bolts. I have not removed the pedals (Shimano M520), but it creaks when pedalling using only one foot, either right or left, so they don't seem to be the cause either.

I have also greased the rear through axle and even the space between the RD hanger and the frame.

Finally, I've tightened the cassette and checked the freehub and everything seems alright. I have also checked the frame for cracks and found nothing. I also checked the wheels (Vision Team 35 disc) and they don't have cracks (I replaced the wheels the past summer because the old Mavic's had cracks on the spoke holes, which also caused creaks).

Any ideas? Am I missing something?
I had a similar problem and could not locate it to any specific spot until I stripped all the hardware off the frame and stressed the two triangles that make up the before and after seat tube. Turned out that right seat stay was cracked (barely visible) I got a similar frame for peanuts, attached the hardware back on and no more creaking. Never would have found it otherwise. Probably more money than is worth it to have the old frame repaired (steel frame)...
Old 01-04-24, 09:25 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Cane creak or Origin 8?....