Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Do You Buy & Eat During Self-Supported Extended Endurance Events?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

What Do You Buy & Eat During Self-Supported Extended Endurance Events?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 05:29 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've ridden a lot of long brevets with nothing but Gatorade and the bike food recipe I got from Carbonfiberboy a while ago.

50 pound bag of maltodextrin I got in the mail a few weeks ago.
Old 03-18-24, 02:14 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I mentioned french fries twice in post number 5, once in reference to the high fat content as it is near the max for the amount of fat I want to ingest on a long ride, the other reference was for being a source of salt.

French fries are quick to buy on the road at fast food places, provided there are any on your route.
Yes, you did. No snub meant by my remark, but I had not really considered French Fries due to the fat content. I’d be afraid that the oil would make me feel bloated like the cheese in pizza does to me. But I think it’s worth a try on a training session, especially how ubiquitous fries can be.
Old 03-18-24, 02:28 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Often cyclists want answers to questions that can't be answered by other cyclists. When the subject is something as intimate as appetite and sustenance during a ride - answers can get a bit confusing - if not completely contradictory. Typically the "original post" or question isn't specific enough to be answered as accurately as possible.

Like many of you that have already posted, I have years of endurance cycling experience. And this is why I know I can't answer the original questions directly.

However, there are some important principles having to with nutrition and exercise physiology that will go along way in keeping you successfully nourished on a long ride.
The first principle is that a normal balanced diet will work perfectly well for most cyclists - if their goal is to simply ride and finish a given distance successfully.
Secondly, understanding that as a cyclist attempts to improve his/her exercise performance, the "balance" in a diet will need to shift toward foods known to digest easily and deliver energy.
And finally, environmental effects will always dictate how the interplay of liquid nutrients are used - both in quantity and interval. And understand this one point the most - when attempting "first time" ultra long ride or "higher levels" of exercise performance - realize that nutrition strategies that worked during the start of a ride may not work after an athlete is severely stressed and fatigued during the end of a ride..

I hope some of this helps. But most likely you'll learn these things through experience - everyone else did. .....
To try to be a bit more specific, I’ve done 100 and 200 mile rides (only one 200 mile ride), but I am considering a series of brevets next year (200, 300, 400 & 600km) in January through April here in either south or central Florida. At that time of year, the temperature can be anywhere from 35 F to 85 F. There is another goal ride for me I am considering: The Florida 500 (535 miles) from Jacksonville to Key West. I would want to do it unsupported. They do offer three drop off locations, so I could leave nutrition at these points. But going back to brevets, they usually don’t have that option. So I’d like to be prepared to be self sufficient.

So I ask what people buy in shops/ convenient stores (and restaurants), but also specifically convenient stores that may be open 24/7. I know that I will get a lot of info, but I’m just looking to what to try. There are so many energy drinks out there now in those convenience stores, for instance. Do most of you stick with Gatoraid, if so, which version?
Old 03-18-24, 05:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
My last brevet, I bought a bag of mini-donuts at one of the first controls, not sure if it was Little Debbies or Hostess, but they were pretty good. Lasted about 100 miles.

I was leapfrogging with a couple. The guy had been randonneuring for decades, he was helping a gal that had never ridden one. He was insistent on an Gatorade at every stop, but at one of the later controls I heard her say to him that she just could not drink another Gatorade.

One of the controls had an old time ice cream shop. The carmel and chocolate shake was fantastic. We have already discussed the french fries.

Florida Keys, I did a bike tour through there. You will see some Publix grocery stores, I do not recall the other chain of grocery stores. Do you know if they are 24 hour or not?

This bridge can be a little intimidating to bike across, but it was really not bad as long as you kept your eyes open to ride around any of the debris in the shoulder. But I was there before Irma, I am sure things have changed. Do you have a rear view mirror so you can see the traffic behind you?

Old 03-23-24, 10:08 PM
Bassmanbob

I organized a Key Largo to Key West Century in February 2018 with four other riders. We drove to Key Largo, and our friend drove the van to Key West. We all had a great time , and planned to do it again. But we never did. The Seven Mile Bridge was a butt clenching half hour of cycling, for sure.
Old 03-24-24, 03:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I organized a Key Largo to Key West Century in February 2018 with four other riders. We drove to Key Largo, and our friend drove the van to Key West. We all had a great time , and planned to do it again. But we never did. The Seven Mile Bridge was a butt clenching half hour of cycling, for sure.
It is just like the rest of the bridges, but more boring. There are a lot of them.
Old 03-25-24, 10:27 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
There are so many energy drinks out there now in those convenience stores, for instance. Do most of you stick with Gatoraid, if so, which version?
As I have previously posted, anyone can have a really great ride for a really great distance using any old "really great food." (french fries?)

Before moving up the food chain to strictly performance-based fueling - the thoughtful cyclist will consider his/her goals for the event. After all - what we are discussing here is NOT nutrition.
I believe the original post (er) wants to learn about how to assure the successful completion of a very long endurance event without having any gastrointestinal distress nor muscle fatigue or cramping.

The issue isn't what "everyone sticks with" - the issue is how well do you ride without making yourself sick. And again, this has more to do with your exercise tolerance and environmental factors.

My science isn't up to date - but I believe maltodextrin is the preferred sugar for most nostrums that support high intensity exercise. Typically these formulas contain electrolytes as well.
It is your exercise load, things like how fast you ride, the hills, winds, or very hot humid weather that contribute to the viability of your fuel choices. So again, if you want to choose your fuels wisely - then you have to know your cycling environment. You have to know what YOU can tolerate in the heat, on the hill - or at the pace and intensity you have chosen to ride. (stick with it -you'll get there?)

Old 03-26-24, 06:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'm a big fan of french fries on brevets, in combination with other real food. On one 1200k, I had a cheese steak with fries and I was fine for 100 miles without eating. Has to be later on a really long ride though.
Old 03-26-24, 07:37 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
I am 70 years young, rode my first brevet at age 65, I am content to be the last one in as long as I make the time cutoff.

I am currently going through the annual ritual of re-training my body for longer rides, rides that are longer than the 65 minutes I do on an exercise bike at the gym during winter. Yesterday rode 43 miles, most of that on a rail trail, used my heavy touring bike that weighs about 40 pounds but has 57mm wide tires which are better for the soft spots on that trail. Drank a half liter of iced coffee that was sweetened with stevia and no other foods. Trying to train my body for endurance, the opposite of being reliant on a constant input of carbs. Forecast was wrong, last 5 or 6 miles was in rain with no rain gear.

Photo below is after I finished a 200k last summer in 12:36, almost an hour to spare. That cold day, started out with long pants, two jackets, rain cover over the helmet to keep the cold wind off my head.

This is not in Florida, plenty of steep uphills.

ADDENDUM:

And as soon as I got home yesterday, had a protein bar (20 grams) to aid muscle recovery.
Are you part of the Driftless Randonneurs? Perhaps some day when I grow up and feel I have the stamina I hope to participate!
Old 03-27-24, 05:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
Are you part of the Driftless Randonneurs? Perhaps some day when I grow up and feel I have the stamina I hope to participate!
No. This one:
https://glr.greatlakesrando.org/

Driftless area, I would have to walk up too many hills.

I mostly am into bike touring, Rando is something I only dabble in. I probably would have been more into rando if I started decades younger. Work and life in general kept me too busy to stay in shape before I retired.
Old 03-27-24, 05:44 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
No. This one:
https://glr.greatlakesrando.org/

Driftless area, I would have to walk up too many hills.

I mostly am into bike touring, Rando is something I only dabble in. I probably would have been more into rando if I started decades younger. Work and life in general kept me too busy to stay in shape before I retired.
I hear you on the hills….

that damn work and life always seems to impair my abilities to partake as well, lol. I see the retirement light at the end of the tunnel, but have a fear then it will be life and stamina that may hinder participation in those longer events.
Old 03-27-24, 06:15 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
I hear you on the hills….

that damn work and life always seems to impair my abilities to partake as well, lol. I see the retirement light at the end of the tunnel, but have a fear then it will be life and stamina that may hinder participation in those longer events.
You have to train your body to handle multi-hour rides. I did a bike tour last year in April with an old friend and former co-worker, he is a year or two older than me. He used to be in really good shape, but he got ready for that tour with exercise that never lasted over an hour. Thus, his body never ran out of the stored sugars in his muscles and blood system during his training, thus he did not train his other organs to start generating the fuel his muscles needed after a couple hours. Thus, every day he was wasted after a couple hours. I was trying to get ready for a brevet, so I was doing 3, 4, 5, and 6 hour rides to get ready.

One day for my training last year, I picked a route that was partially not plowed. Bad planning on my part. It was so icy that I had to walk parts of it, my 32mm tires had no grip on the ice.

Yes I know rando bikes are not supposed to have kickstands, but I like the convenience.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-29-24, 10:00 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I have an area here in N California where I enjoy doing my longer rides. It’s located in the fruit orchard sections near Chico and provides many miles of scenic and very safe riding.
The other benefit to this area is I can find a convenience store about every 25 miles without much of a problem so no need to carry large amounts of food on the bike.
What I do carry is things I know I won’t find like energy gels and electrolyte supplements for my water bottles. Other than that I’m perfectly happy with a tuna sandwich and chips with cookies or really anything you find in these stores. Selection is not a problem in any I’ve been to. I’m Type 2 so refueling is critical so I’d say the route that takes you by food is more important than the food choices.
Old 03-29-24, 11:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
What I do carry is things I know I won’t find like energy gels and electrolyte supplements for my water bottles. Other than that I’m perfectly happy with a tuna sandwich and chips with cookies or really anything you find in these stores. Selection is not a problem in any I’ve been to. I’m Type 2 so refueling is critical so I’d say the route that takes you by food is more important than the food choices.
If I have one gel packet, the next day my blood sugar is still way high. I need much slower carbs for fuel. You are fortunate to have more flexibility in what you can eat when you ride. I do not use insulin, so need to control things with diet and exercise.
Old 04-03-24, 03:46 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I did not read through all of the posts, so maybe I'm repeating someone else's. I think everyone needs to figure out what will fuel you and won't cause the stomach to rebel. I don't start a brevet with much food, depending of course how far along the services are. I start with some fig newtons and beef jerky in the pack, just to have something. Convenience stores are the go-to for food, Small town cafes are nice, but you never know how long the wait will be. In our area, there are a lot of Casey's CS. Great place to fuel. My favorite nourishment is chocolate milk. Energy, protein and for me at least, helps my body much better than Gatorade. I've never cramped when I get my chocolate milk. There is a variety of other things there. A good doughnut or turnover. The pizza is very good, but a few times my stomach has rebelled. Which brings me to another subject, which is to carry a good stomach ache pill. Zantac is my go-to. Finally, I carry a little sugar with me for the dark, low blood sugar times. Orange slices, Mike n Ike, jelly beans. But not gummy bears, at least the hard ones. For some reason, my stomach doesn't like the hard gummies. And of course good ice cream at any point in time unless it is snowing.
Likes For gif4445: