Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

55 3/4 back into the iron

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-23, 12:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 3,032 Posts

The iron is not capable of lying . First workout after a fairly long layoff and well put it this way starting off light with a high rep range 10-12. No ego lifting this time around that gets me into trouble. Simple program using a Swiss bar for benching and a hex bar for deadlifting that will hit everything. Accessories like curls for girls and some lat work. No traditional squatting not to keen on compressing my spine I know too many people that have destroyed their lower backs. At this point I don’t care about numbers and becoming stronger will come naturally as you keep lifting slowly adding weight. First workout is the hardest then once the CNS wakes up it get better.
Old 11-06-23, 05:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
I should do a little lifting, it's been way too long. I enjoyed it when I was young and went back a few times. My ex and I lifted together a bit and she got pretty strong. She wanted a heavy bag to unwind after work. I got her a heavy bag and some bag gloves and a gym rat friend gave us a program for her to use on the bag.

I moved 7 years ago and gave away my bench and weights. Kinda wish I still had them. All I do now is ride the bike.
Old 11-06-23, 07:25 PM
big john

Henry Rollins has a lot of quotes about the iron. "I prefer to work out alone. It enables me to concentrate on the lessons
that the Iron has for me. Learning about what you’re made of is always
time well spent, and I have found no better teacher. The Iron had
taught me how to live."
From this page.
Henry Rollins Epic Quote On Lifting Weights | Quitting Adderall
Likes For big john:
Old 11-07-23, 03:47 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I usually lift for a couple of weeks or months, then take a break for a couple of weeks, then go back to lifting for a couple of weeks and then take another long break and go back again....No ego lifting, no PRs, no rigid structured training routines for me. I do most of my lifting intuitively.
Old 11-07-23, 05:37 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
Iron only improves with age

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 11-07-23, 09:45 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I started lifting again in '79, still at it. I was also nervous about squatting when I started up again, for the reason you talk about, but I got over it. Turns out that form and full body workouts are the key to keeping one's back in good condition. I do full depth, Olympic style squats. Otherwise one doesn't get the full stretch in one's back. That said, I see no reason to get into really heavy weights unless one is racing and a sprinter. I stop at maybe 20# over bodyweight. Endurance cycling is my sport and I don't see that lifting heavier than that is helpful. Better to hold that weight and rep it out. I don't get all philosophical about it. I just tell folks, "Never quit."
Old 11-08-23, 11:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I keep hoping (and telling myself) that my acre of yard work - raking, trimming, pruning, wheel barrel maneuvering, etc - will partially compensate for my lack of regular weight training. .

I'm a fan of continuous moving and stretching. And picking up and carrying granddaughters.
Old 11-08-23, 01:30 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I’m finding out I need to obey the 72 hour rule. It has been 48 hours and I don’t feel recovered enough and at 55 3/4 I need that extra rest day. I’m just impatient. I know I will have a much better and beneficial workout by resting 72 hours.
Old 11-08-23, 04:52 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I keep hoping (and telling myself) that my acre of yard work - raking, trimming, pruning, wheel barrel maneuvering, etc - will partially compensate for my lack of regular weight training. .

I'm a fan of continuous moving and stretching. And picking up and carrying granddaughters.
I think yard work is a great activity. When I can get myself to do it for a couple hours I feel like it was a good workout. Can't speak about grandkids.
Old 11-08-23, 09:08 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I took a 27-day cruise, spent 5 days in Sydney and now in HK.

I was planning to lift at the ship's gym every two days but I got sick and then shore days interrupted that schedule. And with all the eating, I started jogging a mile on the running track.

But since the cruise ended, the only thing I can do is walk.

Can't wait to get back home and get back to my routine of cycling and weights.

My usual routine is 15 to 20 reps on the dumbell to failure.

I used to do a lot of squats but changed to deep heavy leg presses concentrating on glutes. Again 20 reps almost to failure. Can't or shouldn't do failure on Back Squats or Deadlifts.

15 to 20 reps on leg curls to failure really helps climbing and long distance riding. It's not just about the quads.

Last edited by Daniel4; 11-08-23 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-12-23, 07:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
In recent weeks I’ve been doing a lot of reps of the most common moves you get by searching for “strength training for runners”. Things like reverse lunges, split squats, single and double Romanian dead lifts and step ups and step downs. It seems to be beneficial both for running and biking, so I plan to continue that. There is also some circuit training that includes some dumbbells that continues to happen.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-13-23, 07:24 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I’ve been strength training for 7 years running, 4 days a week and very rarely miss a workout

The key is…

Go hard but keep it short! I do just 6-8 sets of compound lifts per day. Pull one day, push the other. Heavy enough to keep it in the 8-12 rep range. Progressive overload and just keep incrementally lifting more.

Strength training especially as we get over 50 imparts a high level of stress and requires recovery.

People do to much, lift for 6 months then lose motivation because it’s too hard.

My way the muscle mass gains and strength come slower, but they just keep coming.

7 years and it’s totally sustainable
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 01-16-24, 09:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

On week 11 and going great with lighter weights in the 10-12 rep range. Progressive overloading is working good. Safety bar front squats and hex bar deadlifts hits the legs hard. Using a Swiss bar for bench and rows is easy on the shoulders. The use of dumbbells takes care a weak areas using the stabilizer muscles. 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps all compound movement except bicep curls and tricep extensions yeah I know not necessary but strong looking arms look good.
Likes For Hondo Gravel: