Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike storage, please post pics.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 03:16 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

I’m soon going to build a 10x12 or something shed to keep the garage clear (er).

The fleet as it currently exists is 3 older road bikes with rim brakes. They can be hung vertically or upside down if needed. These are less frequently used and one of them may live inside on a trainer.

Then there are 2 mountain bikes and a gravel bike that are used pretty often and all have hydraulic brakes, so I won’t store them other than horizontally.

There is a cargo bike I can barely lift, that’ll just have to stand there.

And the kids are 3 and 5, so I expect a rotating stream of tiny bikes to start flowing through soon.

I’d like to be able to get to most of these without unloading the entire thing every time.

I’d love to see some pics of your storage setup while I’m brainstorming my plans.
Old 06-24-23, 03:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
My front porch this time of year. I use an old sheet and blanket to cover when they are not in use. In the corner is my cleaning bucket and supplies. You likely cannot see it, but 4 of the bikes are on a rack, the other leaning against the sofa. In the summer, I ride all of them a good bit. Off season, I take turns with them, the ones not in use have similar storage on my enclosed rear deck, which is also where my bike work area is located. It works for me, I live by myself.

I can actually get any of them out, with care, without moving any others.

Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-24-23, 04:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Here is my setup, I love these racks. Steady Rack, worth every penny. I use the rack designed for bike with fenders for my road bikes, as they have a smaller area for the tire, so they fit better in my view and I believe they fit up to a 38 smooth road tire. Everything else is the standard rack. They also have versions for Fat Tire I believe now. They are a little pricey, but again, worth it in my book.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 06-27-23 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 06-24-23, 05:32 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
This is an older picture, but I love these racks. Steady Rack, worth every penny. I use the rack designed for bike with fenders for my road bikes, as they have a smaller area for the tire, so they fit better in my view and I believe they fit up to a 38 smooth road tire. Everything else is the standard rack. They also have versions for Fat Tire I believe now. They are a little pricey, but again, worth it in my book.

That looks really good. Like a card catalog for bikes. Any concerns about storing bikes with hydraulic fluid vertically? I’ve heard it doesn’t matter, it only matters if it’s a long time, that it affects some brands and not others, that it used to be a problem but it’s not now, etc. Makes me want a setup where I’m not thinking about it.

Of the (currently) 7 bikes in the family, 4 have hydro’s. The cargo bike doesn’t really count though, since it’s too big and heavy to pick up and hang.
Old 06-24-23, 05:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by rosefarts
That looks really good. Like a card catalog for bikes. Any concerns about storing bikes with hydraulic fluid vertically? I’ve heard it doesn’t matter, it only matters if it’s a long time, that it affects some brands and not others, that it used to be a problem but it’s not now, etc. Makes me want a setup where I’m not thinking about it.

Of the (currently) 7 bikes in the family, 4 have hydro’s. The cargo bike doesn’t really count though, since it’s too big and heavy to pick up and hang.
I had these racks for a little more than 4 years, never had any issue with hydraulic brakes. My favorite part is that they swing from side to side, so when I need to replace my ac filter, I can just swing them in the opposite direction replace my filter and then swing them back. Also you don't lift them into place, you just pull back on the bars and roll the front wheel in and the rear will just settle into place. The tires are about 1" off the ground. My wife hated the hooks I used to have as she did not like lifting the bike to the hook.

Old 06-24-23, 06:51 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Nothing fancy here; just a 2x4 screwed into the studs and big hooks from the hardware store.
Leaves enough room underneath for the kids’ bikes and the townie on the ground, so they can get their bikes out without needing any help.
The big bikes are alternating up and down so I can get between them to get one in or out without banging into handlebars

Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 06-24-23, 07:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
There been a change in bikes, and I’ve added a lower tool chest under the benchtop, but the layout is the same.
Old 06-25-23, 09:35 AM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Nice bike/guitar separation. What is the black bike with the toe clips?

Mike
Old 06-25-23, 09:48 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts

This was an alcove that think was supposed to be used for a small freezer. Not having one, I converted it to a space to store 2 bikes and as a bonus I gained some valuable shelf space. By changing the orientation of the 2 bikes I was able to have them much closer together
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-25-23, 12:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
For hydraulic brakes so long as they aren't upside down you are fine. When they sit for a while, you just give them some pumps and they usually go back to just fine rather quickly. We hang bikes with hydro brakes at the shop all the time no problem.

That Steady Rack stuff is nice. I have an area in the house which is currently occupied by bookcases that one day I want to have hanging bikes and then bikes on the ground in between them so it will occupy the same footprint as what is there currently but look better and be more usable and functional. The books are less read and can be moved and while hanging all would be cool I have some stuff that is a huge pain to hang.
Old 06-25-23, 10:48 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by veganbikes
For hydraulic brakes so long as they aren't upside down you are fine. When they sit for a while, you just give them some pumps and they usually go back to just fine rather quickly. We hang bikes with hydro brakes at the shop all the time no problem.

That Steady Rack stuff is nice. I have an area in the house which is currently occupied by bookcases that one day I want to have hanging bikes and then bikes on the ground in between them so it will occupy the same footprint as what is there currently but look better and be more usable and functional. The books are less read and can be moved and while hanging all would be cool I have some stuff that is a huge pain to hang.
Yea I have one empty rack as I sold a bike a few months ago, and my mother in laws three wheeler is also sitting in my garage and I need to see if I can hang that in the empty rack. I might have to move things around to make it work, but we are waiting to see if she can get back on the bike or if I will be selling it due to some re-occurring health issues.

Old 06-26-23, 04:31 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I built a 17 foot tall barn a few years ago using all hand-tools and wood from an Amish sawmill. In the winter I keep my Huffy racer in it.

Likes For beng1:
Old 06-27-23, 07:50 AM
sw20

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Old 06-27-23, 08:27 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
My wife says I need a shed now. How I'm currently storing the 6 I have.

Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 06-27-23, 10:07 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I use the Feedback Sports RAKK Bicycle Storage Stand. Got two in the basement, and my employer bought two for when I or my co-worker ride into work. I store them at my desk, and we have a secure site. I remember them costing much less than what todays price is.
Old 06-28-23, 03:27 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder

Mrs DesertRyder; “Where are you putting all those bicycles ?”

DesertRyder; “Yes”

Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 06-28-23, 08:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
remembering this old thread
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ispreloading=1
Old 06-28-23, 05:35 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Found a half-dozen pulley system mounts at a neighbor's garage sale and got them all for twenty bucks.

Installed five way up in my garage and they've helped clear out valuable lower space.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-29-23, 06:12 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
No pics necessary: I simply hang our bikes from hooks in the ceiling of our garage - horizontally, upside down, hanging from the wheels. Cable brakes, hydraulic brakes, all the same. I have them on each side of the parked cars and a line in the middle between the cars. We're short so don't bump our heads.

Nothing fancy: I just lift them up onto the back wheel hook then put up the front wheel. If the garage was too tall, I'd make a stout stick with a U shaped hook at the end to lift the rear wheel up. That's the way my LBS does it.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-01-23 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-29-23, 06:59 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Bike Storage …

Originally Posted by Camilo
No pics necessary: I simply hang our bikes from hooks in the ceiling of our garage - horizontally, upside down, hanging from the wheels. Cable brakes, hydraulic brakes, all the same. I have a like of them on each side of the parked cars and a line in the middle between the cars. We're short so don't bump our heads.

Nothing fancy: I just lift them up onto the back wheel hook then put up the front wheel. If the garage was too tall, I'd make a stout stick with a U shaped hook at the end to lift the rear wheel up. That's the way my LBS does it.

Yes! This!
JD

Bike Garage … just enough room for cars.
Old 06-30-23, 11:56 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Yes! This!
JD

Bike Garage … just enough room for cars.
Thanks for providing the picture - exactly like mine. I can cram 8 bikes in the garage as long as I don't use any of the hooks for the spare wheels.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-01-23, 08:53 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Not nearly as neat as some of the others here, but I recently reorganized my garage and here's where I'm at

The three kids bike all stack neatly - 2 on the rack, on one the floor below. Two of my bikes hang from the ceiling with the gravel bike with hydraulics brakes below. On the other side of the garage, along the wall, are my two Xtracycle cargo bikes (one e-bike, one standard) - they're too big to store anywhere else. And there's two more bikes in a deep under-the-stairs closet near the front door: wife's daily commuter, and my road bike.
Old 07-01-23, 09:31 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Seven of the eight bikes at the in-laws' house on the Cape- my satellite storage facility. Mixed sizes and styles.
I've picked these up and fixed up for me and the wife and guests.
Home storage is not as neat, as the bikes have to compete with snowblowers, lawnmowers, etc.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-01-23, 10:04 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

It’s not a tremendous amount of extra work for or hardware to hang the bikes from pulleys right side up.

I’m currently leaning toward a mix of right side up bikes on pulleys and the older bikes upside down on hooks.

Keep posting pictures. I haven’t moved into my new house yet, so I haven’t finalized anything. Hopefully I’ll be able to build the shed, along with a few other things on the property, in August.

I also have a cool rocky hillside that I think I could ride down, if 4’ drops are your thing.
Old 07-01-23, 02:58 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder

Getting rid of 2 cars would open up a lot of space.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.