Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying frame with Cinelli lugs Campy dropouts Campy cranks and rings,

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Need help identifying frame with Cinelli lugs Campy dropouts Campy cranks and rings,

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 09:18 PM
barryj75225

Bikes: Current bikes; 2011 Elite Joule Pro Carbon Campy Super Record, 2014 Kestrel Talon, 2017 Custom Populo Sport EBike, 84' Guerciotti TT Dura Ace. 79' Colnago Super Sunto, 84' Meile Road Issue Campy, Schwinns; 88 Prologue & Ontare, 89 Circuit, 86 Prelude

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Need help with Cinelli serial number identify. Previous owner found in a dumpster with no decals or identifying marks under POOR job with

rattle can gold paint over rattle can silver
Old 03-16-24, 09:47 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...with that fork crown, it looks like one of the Cinelli SC bikes from the 80's. You can probably get closer on dating it from dating the crank that's on there. I have a couple of similar frames from the early 80's, but they were built up with New Record and early Super Record.So yours is probably newer than that. The Cinelli paint from that era is pretty fragile. So it's not surprising that yours was trashed. The dumpster probably means it either got stolen somewhere along the line, or just sold on through a bunch of people until one of them decided it was worthless.

They came in a variety of attractive colors, including pearlescent white and a kind of very flashy red. I repainted one Tuscan yellow. (Naples yellow for the artists in the crowd.)

That's not a serial # it's the frame size.
Old 03-16-24, 10:29 AM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Gotta be '84 or post '84 because the slotted BB brackets came out mid-late (?) '84 IIRC. I wouldn't put too much freight in the cranks etc., as anyone could change those, especially if it was a bare frame for the first purchaser.
Old 03-16-24, 11:49 AM
barryj75225

Bikes: Current bikes; 2011 Elite Joule Pro Carbon Campy Super Record, 2014 Kestrel Talon, 2017 Custom Populo Sport EBike, 84' Guerciotti TT Dura Ace. 79' Colnago Super Sunto, 84' Meile Road Issue Campy, Schwinns; 88 Prologue & Ontare, 89 Circuit, 86 Prelude

Serial # frame size? Cranks shown?

Thank you. The cranks shown are probably original ones. Please Tell me about them, model name?
It probably was stolen bc no bike guy would paint it the sloppy way it was but an id 10 t. He didnt remove anything to paint it. He even painted the chain. I didnt get the wheels but he probably painted those and the tires too. LOL
The frame size serial number 60 matches the seat tube. Whats the other number measure?
Post 84 slotted bb tube.
Cinelli SC? So much to learn.
So appreciative of the help. Thanks again
B^)

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...with that fork crown, it looks like one of the Cinelli SC bikes from the 80's. You can probably get closer on dating it from dating the crank that's on there. I have a couple of similar frames from the early 80's, but they were built up with New Record and early Super Record.So yours is probably newer than that. The Cinelli paint from that era is pretty fragile. So it's not surprising that yours was trashed. The dumpster probably means it either got stolen somewhere along the line, or just sold on through a bunch of people until one of them decided it was worthless.

They came in a variety of attractive colors, including pearlescent white and a kind of very flashy red. I repainted one Tuscan yellow. (Naples yellow for the artists in the crowd.)

That's not a serial # it's the frame size.
Old 03-16-24, 11:54 AM
barryj75225

Thank you. I guess the cranks are original. My Colnago Super has Campy cranks rings and shift levers but Suntour Cyclone rear Derail and Superbe brakes levers and fr derail. Supposedly better than Campy for that era?
Thanks again
B^)
Old 03-16-24, 04:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I'm really only guessing on the crank, but I think it is Chorus. Velobase has pictures of just about all of them, and is a good place to look to ID stuff like this. I honestly do not know what the other number references. There are people here much more knowledgeable than me about stuff like this. It's a pretty nice frame to get for free, even if you have to repaint it.
Old 03-16-24, 04:18 PM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by barryj75225
Thank you.
The frame size serial number 60 matches the seat tube. Whats the other number measure?
B^)
Probably Seat tube x Top tube lengths. My '83 Centurion/Cinelli has "58" stamped, yet the top tube is 56.5 cm CC, and seat tube is 58 cm . It's common to see the top tube shorter than the stamped size, especially in Italian frames. Your fork is the internal lugged model, same as on the SC, which if I remember correctly, was designed by the Chirico shop. (someone check my poor memory here...). Thus yours is not an '85 Centurion Equipe, as those had external lugged forks.

Do the seat stays at the top have any logo or letters? If a Lotus CInelli ('86 & '87)then it will most likely have "Lotus". By the way, Centurion/Cinelli frames ('83-85) were made in the Cinelli supervised Chirico shop near Milan. I suspect the the Lotus frames might have been as well. This is a quote from the guy who arranged for the Centurion/Cinelli frame production (Goldsmith is Alan Goldsmith, a Centurion manager): "The frame was designed by Goldsmith and built in the Chirico
family shop in Bussero on the outskirts of Milan after design details were discussed among Goldsmith, Andrea Cinelli and Chirico and revisions were made. The Chirico shop also built Super Corsas for Cinelli (the company)."

So some SCs were built by Chirico, and senior Chirico's son worked for both CInelli and the Chirico shop as framebuilder.

More than you wanted tho know!
Old 03-16-24, 06:05 PM
barryj75225

Thanks you for all information. Its never enough. Too much to learn Not enough memory tho. LOL. No stamp or pantograph on seat stay top. I wouldve noticed that stripping it. With the chrome frame its easy to see 2 or 3 small dents in the top tube I will have to fill those w/ steel stick. Im OCD. Painting over visible dents wont help what little value the thing has left? However Im fairly experienced w/ paint and design with vinyl wrap. I may put a bad-ass paint job on it.where first I seal the metal with a clear primer/sealer. Then try to create a design that can leave the best shiny parts of chrome for me to put a transparent color. And cover the repaired dents with opaque holographic wrap. This frame has been down a long tough road. If any purist thinks its worth paying a real pro to restore it what I do wont be hard to get off. LOL I'll make it look custom and pretty but not vintage and or period correct.
Thanks again
Any estimates on frame value as is?
B^)
Old 03-16-24, 06:35 PM
barryj75225

Thank you for the info

FREE? I wish. I paid the dumpster diver/thief $200. I responded faster than others to his ad when I saw the pantographs and that BB tube stamped Cinelli,
I knew I had my hands full on the restomod but welcomed that opportunity. I'm making before and after pics to brag about. IF it comes out that good. LOL
My guess on that Campy crank logo style was Chorus. Too bad its a fragile logo instead of stamped.

I hope to find some good Campy of this era to build it back better than the series 600 that it came with.
That 600 stuff was probably original. That helps date it to around 85 87 I have a nice full groupset of Dura Ace. I have some Suntour Superbe I could complete a set of I could use but it truly deserves Campy? Dont you think?
Old 03-17-24, 05:06 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
While probably a Cinelli, not an SC. Wrong seat cluster, no serial number on the BB. Sorry, I don't know which model. They made "interesting" stuff in the lates 80s through the 90s.
Old 03-18-24, 10:24 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
My $.02 (and worth every penny). Take these as semi-informed opinions and not gospel:

Agree that the numbers on the bottom of the BB are not a serial number, they are they frame size - 60cm seat tube abd 58cm top tube. The only question is whether the seat tube was measured center-to-center or center-to-top, which can be resolved with a tape measure. The top tube measurement is virtualy guaranteed to be center-to-center because everybody measures top tubes ctc, but again, a tape measure can confirm that toot suite..

Agree with iab that it is not a Super/Speciale Corsa because of the seat cluster; also, I don't think SCs had those style of head lugs. No opinion as to whether it is a Cinelli of some other flavor. I would expect some sort of serial number under the BB from a Cinelli, but I am no expert on post-Colombo sale Cinelli serial numbering.

Agree that it is post-1980 (or thereabouts) based on the under-BB cable routing.

The lug work looks very nice. It may or may not be a Cinelli, but it should build up to a nice riding bike.
Old 03-18-24, 10:54 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts
To each their own but I wouldn’t put any time into rebuilding a frame such as this without first checking the alignment, and realigning it if necessary. Or having that work done. If it has ended up in a dumpster it has taken some knocks and may not ride well at all if no longer straight.

The crankset is late 1980s Campagnolo Athena.