Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Coworkers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Coworkers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 08:15 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Coworkers

I gotta say my coworkers are pretty awesome. There was a crash/accident that killed a cyclist sorta-kinda out my way this morning and I started getting facebook messages from them asking if I was safe and sound. Luckily it isn't on a route I take for commuting, but it is part of the route that the largest cycling club uses during the warmer/brighter months. It could have been a fellow commuter or just someone who was out for a morning training ride.

It's nice to know my coworkers got my back, though!

I drove today anyhow. Did some morning wrenching to get my 3 speed back up and running
Old 01-21-16, 10:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I have nice cow-orkers as well, I got multiple offers for rides during the recent big rains.
Old 01-21-16, 01:11 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I have nice cow-orkers as well, I got multiple offers for rides during the recent big rains.
That's great! The news just released details of the victim, looked her up on Facebook and she worked at the Amazon Distribution Center that is on the same road as she was riding, so probably safe to say she was a bike commuter. Very sad
Old 01-21-16, 01:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Sad news indeed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-21-16, 07:34 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My coworkers hate me.

Today was the first real lake-effect snow day. I arrived ten minutes early (from my goal of 30 minutes before starting time). Even stopped at the bank on the way in.

Every single one of my coworkers was 5-10 minutes late--and blamed the conditions.

My boss helpfully pointed out that I made it in early--in the same conditions--on a bike. They don't get to play the conditions card.
Old 01-22-16, 09:27 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Well, the conditions affect you less than cars. You know how long it's going to take you to get to work, they have no idea what the traffic is going to do to them...
Old 01-22-16, 10:20 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My co-workers are also pretty good as well. On one occasion recently an hour after I arrived at work I received a call from my alarm company saying my alarm was triggered. My boss was kind enough to let me go home to check it out, went home to find all was well with the house and my main concern the dogs (still not sure what triggered the alarm) then rode back to work. When I returned one of my co-workers said if she had known she would have lent me her car.
Old 01-22-16, 01:39 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Same here. They admire my bravery to ride to work on a bike. This is Texas and anything smaller than a truck is mostly not recognized as a worthy vehicle... lol...
Just kidding. Most of my co-workers are great. I have often been offered a ride home when the weather turned bad.
And I regularly get asked if I bring the pizza when I walk in with my bright red Ortlieb panniers...
Old 01-22-16, 01:49 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Harhir
Same here. They admire my bravery to ride to work on a bike. This is Texas and anything smaller than a truck is mostly not recognized as a worthy vehicle... lol...
Just kidding. Most of my co-workers are great. I have often been offered a ride home when the weather turned bad.
And I regularly get asked if I bring the pizza when I walk in with my bright red Ortlieb panniers...
If everybody has a truck, it's easy for them to give you a lift!
Old 01-22-16, 04:11 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's awesome that your co-workers were making sure that you were Ok.
Old 01-22-16, 05:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Coworkers

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I gotta say my coworkers are pretty awesome. There was a crash/accident that killed a cyclist sorta-kinda out my way this morning and I started getting facebook messages from them asking if I was safe and sound…It's nice to know my coworkers got my back

Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
That's awesome that your co-workers were making sure that you were Ok.

Originally Posted by Harhir
After over thirty years of cycle commuting, I have gotten a reputation among my co-workers, and indeed numerous other people in the organization. When the news of my cycling accident on a Friday night made the TV news, many people have told me that even though no name was mentioned, they knew it was me. I got a lot of cards and support afterwards, and on returning to work.

My relationships at work are certainly enhanced by my cycling reputation.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My cycling reputation, mundane as my cycling might be to the hard-core cyclists, is always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.” Always asked with amusement and respect.

I in turn often ask people where they live, because invariably I have ridden in their neighborhood, and that question usually sparks an engaging converstion.

One of the nicest compliments I have received at work is that I am credible, and think my cycling reputation probably supports that image.
Old 01-22-16, 06:37 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Well, the conditions affect you less than cars. You know how long it's going to take you to get to work, they have no idea what the traffic is going to do to them...
So you're saying that the web traffic cams and traffic reports are useless?

Yesterday's conditions about doubled my commute time. So I left early.
Old 01-22-16, 08:54 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My coworkers are fairly decent people, they regularly offer me rides when the weather turns to crap. The only time that I was late in the last year and a half my boss was worried I might have ended up being a hood ornament... It was only 10 minutes and was due to a train.

I'm regularly referred to as the crazy bicycle guy, mainly cause I'm the only one who cycle commutes.