Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Finally biked to work...Whoop, whoop!!!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Finally biked to work...Whoop, whoop!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 06:51 PM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Old 11-01-18, 07:01 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
As @Papa Tom says, you will work these things out over time. It's interesting how in our culture, bike commuting isn't engrained into our minds, so working out these details is complicated and different for everyone. I carry very little on my commute, partly because I've worked out what I need and don't need and partly because I don't have to dress very "fancy" at work. I also sweat less than most people, so it's often OK for me to wear one set of clothes all day.

I keep my gear in one place by the door, including trouser bands, cycling gloves, helmet, and mirror.

I go back and forth between panniers and a backpack. I've preferred a backpack lately. I have a cycling-specific backpack which is narrow but does not pinch my shoulders together the way many others do. I don't find the weight to bother me, even when my load is well over 10 lbs, and that's not often. It does make my back sweaty, but sweat doesn't bother me.

I also refer to the change as Superman to Clark Kent! In the summer when I sweat more, I change in my office, and I rub myself over with witch hazel. That cools and dries me rapidly. It's a mild astringent which doesn't dry the skin.

On my saddle, I hang my tool bag which I rarely need. It has tools and a spare tube. I hang my blinky tail light from this bag. I have several bikes, and this bag moves from bike to bike.

My favorite bike has a dynamo-powered set of lights, and I leave it on day and night. It's nice not needing to charge my lights. My front hub provides the power.

Someone else here keeps a spreadsheet of which clothes work well for which weather conditions. I thought that was going a bit too far, but I started doing the same, because I forget, and at the times of year when the weather changes, I need to remember, or else I'll be hot or cold.
Unfortunately, I sweat a LOT!!!! The only way I could get away (and feel comfortable) of not changing clothes was if my commute was only a mile or 2 and in the city (I normally more casually in that setting because of stop lights,pedestrians, cars, etc.). My route is roughly 10 miles, on back roads in suburbia, including a couple of corn fields, so by the time I get to work I'm sweety, and smelly... LOL!! However, I'm definitely gonna lighten my load and hang my blinkly tail light from the bag as you suggested....
Old 11-01-18, 07:05 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
+1 more, but with a question. Is Superman the guy on the bike, and then you turn into a mild-mannered [whatever your job is], or are you a mild-mannered cyclist turning into Super[fill in the job title]? I'm not quite certain which way my transformation goes...
LOL!!!! Anyone over 50 years old that can ride a bike over 100 yards is consider Superman, right?
Old 11-01-18, 07:15 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
I've been riding to work for over 5 years now. Wednesdays are my laundry day so I normally drive that day and bring 4 days worth of clean clothes and bring my dirty laundry home. We have showers here at work, so my first stop after parking my bike is my office where I grab the days clothes, walk down to the shower and I'm back at my desk is 15 minutes, ready for the day. It's a routine now that's easy for me. I do remember the first few times were like "OMG what do I do now???" but like others have said that's a very short lived thing. The ride more than makes up for the small inconveniences.
15 minutes, WOW!!!! I timed myself today, I parked my bike at 7:37a by the time I reached my desk after showering and changing it was 8:16, dang near 45 minutes!!! I just told me wife tonight I gotta get this transition down to at least 30 minutes.... Then I'll shoot for 15 minutes!! W

Originally Posted by Korina
Yay you, and yay for not waiting! I agree with what the others have said; panniers, fenders, and all the lights. Pre-loading your work clothes also sounds like a good idea; the less you have to carry, the better. As far as cold weather clothing goes, I find layers work the best. Have fun working out your route; I love seeing new places.

And have fun! Make your co-workers jelli when they see your big stupid grin. (I may be projecting, as I get a big stupid grin when I ride.)

And keep us updated on your progress. I, for one, love seeing others' rides.
Thanks!!! One co-worker has already said they have always wanted to do it, but never had the nerves to try it....

Originally Posted by Harhir
Congratulations. Cycling to work is awesome. And 20 miles is some workout. I only have 5 miles but occasionally when the weather is great I make detours to get some extra miles. I have been doing it for about 3 years now. Initially twice a week. Now daily. Meanwhile I only take the car if I really have to. Once I week I bring a set cloths for the week in a little trailer. On the other days I just carry a laptop in a pannier.
I can leave my stuff in a locker at our gym. When I come in I spend another 30 min or so in the gym on strength exercises recommended by my physical therapist. I am already sweaty so no need to change for the gym. Then shower and off to my desk.
I just love being outside in the fresh air. No matter if rain or shine. And the exercise feels good.
Unfortunately, we can't leave a lock on the full size lockers overnight. They assigned you a 12x12 locker with a built in combination lock, but I keep much in there... Left my shoes, along with my toiletry bag today.

Originally Posted by preise
Kudos.

92 mile commute
EXACTLY!!
Old 11-01-18, 07:24 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by dhender02
Finally Rode Bike to work!!!! ... last night I decided I was just going to go for it..... And I DID!!! I lLUV IT!!
Right f'n on! INTERNET HIGH FIVE.

just decided to go for it .. so many of my best outings started just like that.
Old 11-01-18, 09:15 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My change routine is about 10 minutes. I leave my house at 7:50, ride 10 miles in NYC traffic, and I'm at my desk at 9:00, except when I'm not. At my age my schedule is getting a lot more flexible. If I take my road bike it takes an hour to ride, if I take my commuter it takes an hour to ride. There is no savings in going fast if you are stopping at lights.

Enjoy the rides while you can. Once you can't ride due to weather you'll look out the window every day hoping that it may still be possible.
Old 11-02-18, 09:24 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Thanks!!! One co-worker has already said they have always wanted to do it, but never had the nerves to try it....
I was exactly the same way, but my commute is along a highway between cities. The first time was terrifying. All those cars (and semis; so many semis!) zooming by at 60 mph, and me with my wobbly legs on my inadequate little comfort bike on an 8 foot shoulder... there was actual adrenaline pumping. The second time I knew what to expect and it wasn't as bad. Five years later, with a better bike, and legs, dang it, I got legs, it ain't no thang.

Tell them if an overweight middle-aged woman can do that, so can they.
Old 11-02-18, 11:57 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Unfortunately, we can't leave a lock on the full size lockers overnight. They assigned you a 12x12 locker with a built in combination lock, but I keep much in there... Left my shoes, along with my toiletry bag today.
Officially we are not supposed to leave any stuff in our lockers over night either. But since we have plenty lockers and I am the only guy riding the bike our building manager gave me "special"permission to keep my stuff in the locker. In our new facility the lockers have built in combination locks. In our old building I never put a lock on since I only keep clothes and toiletries in there anyhow. Nothing worthwhile stealing.
Old 11-02-18, 12:05 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
You're right about weather varying this time of year... Yesterday morning was rather chilly 38 degrees, so I had on two layers (long sleeve under Armour and jersey) in addition to my heaviest cycling jacket, I was comfortable on the ride. On the return trip home it was mid 60's so shedded a layer...however I was hot when I arrived home (I didn't check weather). Today was warmer than yesterday, my morning commute was in the low 50s, so I had on two layers (under armour and short sleeve jersey) along with my windbreaker jacket, I was still rather warm by the time I got to work. On the ride home I kept layer configuration, but I was VERY hot when I got home... so I checked the temperature, it was in the 70s!!! One thing for sure, if I just check the weather report prior to leaving in the morning and on my return I would be in position to make adjustments. Keeping a log, would definitely help me to dial it in! Thanks
Bike commuting is easier for a lot of us when it's just cold out. Once you get the clothing figured out so that you're comfortable and prepared it's more enjoyable to slogging through the heat of the summer, and it doesn't take long to cool off when you get to work. This changes after with precipitation, but that's another layer of complexity.
Old 11-07-18, 05:16 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Your thread is inspiring. I commute as well. It still feels like I am a little boy getting away with something. Imagine enjoying your commute!
Old 11-09-18, 09:35 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Thanks for reminding me of the nerves and the awkward preparation and the Right on I did it! experiences of several years ago. Good stuff, that. And now here I am, an everyday bike commuter, and every day I'm still excited to swing my leg over the bike and go.

Enjoy the ride! The rest is details.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-11-18, 11:11 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Your thread is inspiring. I commute as well. It still feels like I am a little boy getting away with something. Imagine enjoying your commute!
Yes!!

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Thanks for reminding me of the nerves and the awkward preparation and the Right on I did it! experiences of several years ago. Good stuff, that. And now here I am, an everyday bike commuter, and every day I'm still excited to swing my leg over the bike and go.

Enjoy the ride! The rest is details.
Thanks!
Old 11-19-18, 09:00 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I haven't ridden my bike to work in months
Old 11-19-18, 09:02 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Old 11-19-18, 09:26 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts