Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals. I just don't get 'em.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clipless pedals. I just don't get 'em.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 02:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
"Hey, Rocky!"

We saw @Rocky Gravol at a c&v ride last year (I think), dressed in a tweed jacket. Hope you're still ridin', Rocky.
Old 10-08-20, 02:38 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I remember being so happy that I eliminated hot spots and pressure points that bothered my feet in clips and straps, when I switched over the ipess pedals in the mid 80's.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 10-08-20, 02:40 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I am slowly returning to using clipless pedals on the road after swearing them off in 2000 following a nasty crash involving a fixed-gear bike and OEM Look-clone pedals - at 25 mph one of them spontaneously released and I managed to lose control and go over the bars, leaving a lot of my hide on the road and breaking two ribs. I became a big fan of visually verifiable technology and rode clips and straps on fixed and freewheel road machines. A few years later I grudgingly started using Crank Bros Egg Beaters on trail rides, because clips and straps don't work on Southeastern trail rides.

Earlier this year I built up a bike meant for both asphalt and gravel and maybe even a little light single-track. I looked over at the Egg Beaters on the bench and shrugged and threaded them on. Then I took the bike out for a ride. Then another. I reminded myself that the Egg Beaters had never failed me on all sorts of bumpy, rocky, roots-filled trails. I discovered they held together just fine on fast descents - on a fixed-gear, no less. Maybe I'll get a few more pairs for some of my other bikes.
Old 10-08-20, 04:37 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
I started using clipless pedals in the early 90s -- Look was the standard at the time -- and after the requisite times falling over, got quite used to them. Never liked them, though, plus I hated the waddling around on those yuge protrusions.

A few years back I went on a 5-day, 350-mile ride with flat pedals and running shoes.. very Petersen, and very comfortable, but halfway through the day, I got tired of pushing my feet into the korrekt position every minute.. I missed being clipped in so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Then there's the ability to power through the entire 360 degrees on tough climbs, but that only goes so far, since I don't have any hills around here for training. For longer rides, I put on my SPD shoes with the release set to the loose end, and hope for the best.

No way would I ride them in town, but a good friend of mine, a strong rider, even rides in the snow with his SPDs, he's so used to them. Nuts, I say, but to each his own.

I'm thinking I'll add Bruce Gordon strapless clips to my BLT and see how that works... that would provide the automatic positioning and the ability to push forward at least.
Old 10-08-20, 04:55 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Another small advantage of being clipped in is that it allows you to bunnyhop over stuff: curbs, small logs, cattleguards, etc -- if you are so inclined.
Old 10-08-20, 06:34 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Another small advantage of being clipped in is that it allows you to bunnyhop over stuff: curbs, small logs, cattleguards, etc -- if you are so inclined.
You don't need to be clipped in to do that.
Old 10-08-20, 08:29 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by blamester
You don't need to be clipped in to do that.
Yeah you're right. BMX style bunny hops. I forgot. Been a while since I had my Mongoose. Different technique but same effect. If you're clipped in you can just hop both wheels at once, even at high speed.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-08-20, 09:09 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
but a good friend of mine, a strong rider, even rides in the snow with his SPDs, he's so used to them. Nuts, I say, but to each his own.
I run SPDs in snow, no big deal IMO, either you have the reaction to get unclipped, or you don't.

Yeah you're right. BMX style bunny hops. I forgot. Been a while since I had my Mongoose. Different technique but same effect. If you're clipped in you can just hop both wheels at once, even at high speed.
I never pull up on my pedals to bunny hop on bikes with clipless pedals, but I was a BMX rat in my youth, so I can still bunny hop higher with flats on an MTB than most people can with clipless, its great when they razz me for being a roadie, then I challenge them to a hopping contest, and all of a sudden they shut up, they know my roots!
Old 10-08-20, 09:14 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I started with the cages. Used them for a while. Then heard about clipless. Bought a pair of Time ATAC mountain bike pedals. Totally transformed my riding. It helped my efficiency as well as my bike control. Put the same pedals on my road bike when I bought one as I got older. Now I couldn't possibly imagine riding without them.
Old 10-09-20, 07:27 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I used SPDs for about a decade, but not in the winter, when I needed to wear winter boots.

I noticed that I had fewer knee troubles in the winter, so a couple of springs ago I switched to platform pedals and dropped my SPDs. No regrets.

And, BTW, when I was using SPDs they were fitted by a physiotherapist/bike fitter.
Old 10-09-20, 08:18 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
For years, I resisted any kind of foot retention.

I incrementally went to toe clips on flat pedals, then cleats and toe clips, which I very quickly abandoned due to falling over.

I was torn between my affection for gadgets that included cool pedals, and functionality.
The search for the combination of easy in/out and secure retention continued.

@crank_addict turned me on to half-clips, and I think they are great.
A faux pas among the purists, but well, whatever.
A hipster friend turned me on to Power Grips, and they are freaky good.
I'd still fall over, though.

I liked Look Delta's, but wanted to be able to walk around.
Tried SPD's, and while I liked the shoes, the function was beyond my abilities.
When Speedplay became the standard in my area, I simply couldn't afford them for multiple bikes.
The conflict became a raging war between n+1, aesthetics, function, and budget. I was so confused.
Eventually, Look Keo became my huckleberry, mostly Keo2Max models, but everything from Easy to Classic to Carbon/Ti.

I still think Speedplays are nice, but learned an expensive lesson that not al lollipops are alike when I bought the wrong ones as a gift.
Who knew?

Then, a minor stroke, and my left leg does not like to clip in with style and grace.
I'm the last to leave a stoplight, and those lights can cycle while I'm struggling across the intersection. Pun intended.
I have also climbed 20% grades clipped in on one side and not the other. Not fun. Slippage is bad for the shin.

I have learned from iab that for rides like the Dairyland Dare, a flat pedal is pretty much a good idea.
It never occurred to me that flat pedals varied in quality until I saw a guy pay $175 for some White Industries pedals.
Whaat?

Right now, I prefer being cliplessed-in. I'm awkward on the takeoff. Look Keo on most riders.
Eventually the rising curve on awkwardity may eclipse the advantages of being retained.

For vintage bikes, I prefer the half-clips. They fake me out into thinking I'm effective.
Old 10-09-20, 10:38 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by John Nolan
I
I noticed that I had fewer knee troubles in the winter, so a couple of springs ago I switched to platform pedals and dropped my SPDs. No regrets.

And, BTW, when I was using SPDs they were fitted by a physiotherapist/bike fitter.
It would be interesting to see some slow motion footage of your pedal strokes with both the SPDs and the flats to see how/where the SPDs are limiting movement. I have some friends that have had knee issues when using SPDs as well, I'm currently having issues with my left knee due to overuse, and I sure hope my SPDs are not part of the problem as I LOVE them!
Old 10-09-20, 10:52 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Robbie makes a great point about half clips. Maybe a faux pas, but sometimes all one may need is something to stop the foot from sliding, which is a problem I have. I had a pair, but the shape was too flat for my shoes. I have cut old toe clips to make half clips before.

I also use Look Keo pedals and like them, but there are many times where I don't want to ride clipped in. They aren't a preference for me, just another option. I have fallen twice with them when my brain failed to recognize that I hadn't unclipped as I stopped. Happy to make someone laugh that day.
Old 10-09-20, 11:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have some riding buddies who started out in BMX and they can bunny hop curbs without a sweat. I started out in triathlon and can barely bunny hop an expansion joint.
Old 10-09-20, 11:10 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
It would be interesting to see some slow motion footage of your pedal strokes with both the SPDs and the flats to see how/where the SPDs are limiting movement. I have some friends that have had knee issues when using SPDs as well, I'm currently having issues with my left knee due to overuse, and I sure hope my SPDs are not part of the problem as I LOVE them!
Yeah, when I had my bike fittings I used SPDs all the time, and didn't think about it. Now, I wouldn't go back. I use spiked MTB pedals and rubber soled shoes, and don't miss the clips at all.

This Bike Radar article is on point for me:

"Some scientific research suggests there’s no difference in pedalling efficiency for lower intensity riding: a pair of trainers on flat pedals was as efficient as clipped in cycling shoes when tested on a stationary bike."

"Lower intensity" is my middle name!
Old 10-09-20, 11:16 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by John Nolan
Yeah, when I had my bike fittings I used SPDs all the time, and didn't think about it. Now, I wouldn't go back. I use spiked MTB pedals and rubber soled shoes, and don't miss the clips at all.

This Bike Radar article is on point for me:

"Some scientific research suggests there’s no difference in pedalling efficiency for lower intensity riding: a pair of trainers on flat pedals was as efficient as clipped in cycling shoes when tested on a stationary bike."

"Lower intensity" is my middle name!
I do like to try to twist the cranks right off my bike at times so the SPDs are right up my alley, being able to pull up on pedals during shorter harder efforts is something I don't want to give up! I can certainly see that for a lot of my riding flats are fine though, I've actually ridden a few centuries on flat pedals without toe clips even.
Old 10-09-20, 12:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I have some friends that have had knee issues when using SPDs as well, I'm currently having issues with my left knee due to overuse, and I sure hope my SPDs are not part of the problem as I LOVE them!
I know of 2 people with Achilles issues, both using SPD's. I am convinced it is cleat placement, but their doctors told them both to quit riding. One had to have the tendons replaced.
Old 10-09-20, 12:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by caloso
I started out in triathlon and can barely bunny hop an expansion joint.
But wait, there's a $495 pedal that saves half a watt and six seconds in transition.....as a triathlete, you may be interested.

Sorry, couldn't help but kid you. I know you know what I mean.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-09-20, 12:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I do like to try to twist the cranks right off my bike at times so the SPDs are right up my alley, being able to pull up on pedals during shorter harder efforts is something I don't want to give up! I can certainly see that for a lot of my riding flats are fine though, I've actually ridden a few centuries on flat pedals without toe clips even.
On the other hand, I was doing a studio ride in January, and a guy forgot his shoes.
He actually bought a pair of flat pedals from the shop and they duct taped his feet to the pedals for his workout.
I kid you not.
Old 10-09-20, 01:04 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I know of 2 people with Achilles issues, both using SPD's. I am convinced it is cleat placement, but their doctors told them both to quit riding. One had to have the tendons replaced.
Wow, "replacement" sounds quite scary!

I do have some issues with my left achilles at times, I have moved my cleats "all the way back" on my shoes to take some load off the calf/achilles which has helped. It's only really an issue on centuries or century+ rides, and is only the mildest of discomfort, so I'm not too worried about it, but the issue is not present at all on the right leg.
Old 10-09-20, 01:10 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
On the other hand, I was doing a studio ride in January, and a guy forgot his shoes.
He actually bought a pair of flat pedals from the shop and they duct taped his feet to the pedals for his workout.
I kid you not.
Inspired?
Old 10-09-20, 01:18 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
CLIPLESS is so You look Cool staying wit your Bike when it falls over
Old 10-09-20, 01:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Never tried riding in platforms, walking was hard enough. Drove a manual shift Subaru in ski boots once.
I usually drove home from the mountain in socks. I still had regular shoes in the car but usually didn't bother putting them on after all day on the slopes
Old 10-09-20, 03:11 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by caloso
I have some riding buddies who started out in BMX and they can bunny hop curbs without a sweat. I started out in triathlon and can barely bunny hop an expansion joint.
This thread made me realize that when bunny hopping curbs with a road bike, yeah, you do it basically the same way as with BMX. I don't often have occasion to do it anymore. Pretty sure I still could.

If hopping a cattle guard on a downhill going fast, then I just hop straight up, both wheels at once. Not really necessary, but fun. Probably easier on your rims than going straight over it.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-10-20, 12:10 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I spent several hours over the past couple of days using drills, grinders, and other implements of destruction separating a very worn set of cleats from my SiDi Diablo shoes after the hex screws rounded and a screw extractor snapped off in the hole I drilled for it. Even this hasn’t dampened my love for clipless pedals. I hate toe clips with a passion, but I was always happy with platforms until I tried clipless. Now whenever I use platforms I feel like I can’t keep my feet on the pedals.

Anyone who is concerned about not being able to clip out easily or not being able to move their feet enough should try Crank Brothers. Lots of float and easy to clip out. As an added bonus for vintage bike enthusiasts, the bearings require regular maintenance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.