Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 02:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by robobike316
I use only the old aluminum Zefals HP and HPX and the full size Silcas with a Campy head of course. I've messed around with all sorts of others over the years but these just work and the Zefals are very tough even surviving falling off the bike and being run over by other bikes.
Funny. In 1987 I was riding on SR 47 in Leesburg, NJ when my Zefal frame pump fell off due to a very bumpy road surface. I think I also hit it with my knee. I ran over and crushed it. True story.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-12-24, 12:21 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
No pump (however small) is stupid when you're sweaty, in gay-superhero costume, standing in plastic shoes beside a shoulderless road with 55+mph traffic whizzing by a few feet from you on a sweltering day.
Lifejackets seem pretty stupid when the boat is floating perfectly fine.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-12-24, 01:35 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz;[url=tel:23179717
23179717[/url]]Funny. In 1987 I was riding on SR 47 in Leesburg, NJ when my Zefal frame pump fell off due to a very bumpy road surface. I think I also hit it with my knee. I ran over and crushed it. True story.
...thought you were going to say it went through a wheel and flipped you, like in Breaking Away.
Old 03-12-24, 01:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I carry and use CO2 cartridges. I do carry a mini pump as a back up. But a several have said mini pumps are a pain in the shorts.
Well, there it is...something we completely agree on.

CO2 is my main call for re-inflation in the wild. For longer rides and events, I wear a hydration pack with a mini-pump tucked away in the bottom of the main compartment, for emergency backup.
Old 03-13-24, 03:06 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I had the smaller pumps hated them. I upgraded to a med size pump SILCA Tattico Mini Pump. It's still not fun to pump up a tire on the side of the road but it's less painful than the mini pump.

I am like 1 for 4 with the CO2 so I don't like using them unless I have to seat a tubeless tire.
Old 03-21-24, 08:33 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I had the smaller pumps hated them. I upgraded to a med size pump SILCA Tattico Mini Pump. It's still not fun to pump up a tire on the side of the road but it's less painful than the mini pump.

I am like 1 for 4 with the CO2 so I don't like using them unless I have to seat a tubeless tire.
I've been considering getting a Tattico. Are you pleased with yours? Is there anything similar you wish you would have tried?
Old 03-21-24, 11:27 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I don't expect a mini pump to get me higher than 60psi, which is usually enough to get me home or assistance.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-21-24, 07:21 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts

???

what type of cartridges and inflator are you using ?

I used CO2 for years (years ago) - and worked very well … at the time I used a Qwikfill inflator that is no longer available
Old 03-21-24, 08:49 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I've been considering getting a Tattico. Are you pleased with yours? Is there anything similar you wish you would have tried?
I had this one before.

$22 113 grams
Lezyne Sport Drive HV Bicycle Hand Pump, 90psi, Gravel, Mountain Bike, Presta and Schrader Valve, High Volume
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

I am using this one now
$70 165 grams
SILCA Tattico Mini Pump
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The build quality is really nice on it. It works much better than the smaller Lezyne Sport Drive.

My friend has this one
$55 249 grams
Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP/HPG Bicycle Portable Floor Pump, Road, Gravel Bike, High Pressure, ABS Flip Chuck, Presta/Schrader
https://www.amazon.com/LEZYNE-Micro-...QO7&th=1&psc=1

It works better than mine. It's a little bigger and heavier though. Being able to put it on the ground and use your body helps a lot.

A few other friends have the small battery pump. That seems kind of nice I just don't know if I would remember to charge all the time. And we have all seen our cordless drills, laptops, phones be practically useless after a few years.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 03-21-24, 08:53 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by t2p
???

what type of cartridges and inflator are you using ?

I used CO2 for years (years ago) - and worked very well … at the time I used a Qwikfill inflator that is no longer available

Pro Bike Tool CO2 Inflator - Quick & Easy

When the work they are amazing.

Between me and all the group rides I have been on I have seen too many times for what reason they/I waste a cartride and have to resort to a hand pump.

One time it did save me though. I tubeless tire blew off my rime on my gravel bike which required me to use co2 to seat the tire. then i used my hand pump to put air in the tire to get home.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 03-21-24, 08:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Funny. In 1987 I was riding on SR 47 in Leesburg, NJ when my Zefal frame pump fell off due to a very bumpy road surface. I think I also hit it with my knee. I ran over and crushed it. True story.
I saved a run-over HP years ago by running a dowel inside it. Stayed on that bike and was used for years. Forget what happened to it but that incident wasn't a factor. (Felt the bump every stroke and the handle had an arc to it my shoulder loved.)
Old 03-21-24, 11:46 PM
liwhitehat

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Consider something like this as an alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/Kapopop-K1-In...s%2C129&sr=8-1

Weighs just over a pound, or about the same as a half liter of water. If it can pump up a car tire, a bicycle tire should be pretty fast. Where you carry it is up to you, don't think it comes with a frame mount.
Old 03-22-24, 08:04 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I saved a run-over HP years ago by running a dowel inside it. Stayed on that bike and was used for years. Forget what happened to it but that incident wasn't a factor. (Felt the bump every stroke and the handle had an arc to it my shoulder loved.)
I knocked my Zefal off with my knee while crossing an intersection. Parked my bike and started back to pick it up. Lady waiting for the light looked at me and ran right over my pump. Couldn't save that one.
Old 03-22-24, 09:17 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-DMP180...72&sr=8-1&th=1

Weighs less than a full water bottle
Old 03-22-24, 11:35 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Pro Bike Tool CO2 Inflator - Quick & Easy

When the work they are amazing.

Between me and all the group rides I have been on I have seen too many times for what reason they/I waste a cartride and have to resort to a hand pump.

One time it did save me though. I tubeless tire blew off my rime on my gravel bike which required me to use co2 to seat the tire. then i used my hand pump to put air in the tire to get home.
that regulator looks good - the lever appears to allow you to regulate / stop air

I used the CO2 cartridges / Qwickfill and spare tube (and then later another friend’s spare tube) for two guys that insisted on running their 700 x 20 clinchers under 100 psi … in our area / roads this was a recipe for pinch flats … and they pinch flatted

we then rode the remainder (and majority) of a metric century with no additional CO2 cartridges and no spare tubes … did have patches and a micro pump though

Last edited by t2p; 03-22-24 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-22-24, 11:46 AM
t2p

Old 03-23-24, 01:42 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by RH Clark
He did a review on the

Cycplus mini e-pumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6VzHueN9M
Old 03-26-24, 03:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-DMP180...72&sr=8-1&th=1

Weighs less than a full water bottle
Is that supposed to be a pro or con? 😂
Old 03-31-24, 09:44 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
If my new Topeak Roadie TT mini pump is any indication, mini-pump technology has improved considerably.

The TT stands for Twin Turbo, their marketing name for a bi-directional, two-stage pump. Apologies for the upside-down photo; my real computer is busted.

It's short. Strokes are easy in both directions, and don't seem to get harder with higher pressure. The many short, smooth strokes are productive. Although a 49mm tire would be daunting, I pumped up a 23mm tubular without much trouble at all, once I figured out a good way to grip the head with my index finger while pumping. Because of the two-stage design, the skinny center tube is at the pump-head end, not the handle end - the entire pump body is the handle, which screws in tight to the head, tight enough as it came that it puzzled me for awhile. No gauge, Presta valves only.

Almost like a tubular pump for a new generation!
Likes For Fredo76: