Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2024 Endurace

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2024 Endurace

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 05:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It is nice that they're making a CFR version with Dura Ace 12sp. But also irrelevant to me because I am not made of money. Sadly.
I don’t see any point in a CFR version of an endurance bike like this. It’s pretty hard to justify on their race bikes unless you are pro. But I suppose money no object, then why not?
Old 08-16-23, 06:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I also like the new cockpit where you can at least fine-tune the handlebar width.
Heck, no. I would not trust handlebar with extensible tops: Mathieu van der Poel hamstrung by broken handlebars in Le Samyn finale | Cyclingnews.
Old 08-16-23, 06:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Heck, no. I would not trust handlebar with extensible tops: Mathieu van der Poel hamstrung by broken handlebars in Le Samyn finale | Cyclingnews.
Good point. I probably put twice the stress on my handlebars than MvdP

Last edited by Sy Reene; 08-16-23 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 06:12 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Such logic is irrefutable. https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...hat-you-think/
Old 08-16-23, 06:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
I was comparing these 2 bikes. Size L. I'm sure I'm missing something, but new Stack is LESS than it used to be? I also like the new cockpit where you can at least fine-tune the handlebar width.

Endurace pre 2024
Endurace New 2024

Old:
Stack+ = 708mm
Reach+ = 475mm

New:
Stack+ = 691mm
Reach+ = 472mm
That's not Stack and Reach (BB - HT center vertically and horizontally, respectively). That's Stack+ and Reach+, which is BB - handlebar center, vertically and horizontally. The stem can be adjusted vertically, or replaced (though since it's integrated, with hidden cables, that's a huge pain), so Stack+ and Reach+ aren't fixed values. If you look at Stack and Reach, they're the same, old vs. new.

EDIT: The stem has 1.5 cm of adjustment. Presumably it comes with 1.5 cm of spacers, and you can remove 0.5cm, 1 cm, or 1.5 cm. That means Stack+ could range from 676 mm to 691 mm. Kinda stuck with the same Reach+, though.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 08-16-23 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 06:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

That's not Stack and Reach (BB - HT center vertically and horizontally, respectively). That's Stack+ and Reach+, which is BB - handlebar center, vertically and horizontally. The stem can be adjusted vertically, or replaced (though since it's integrated, with hidden cables, that's a huge pain), so Stack+ and Reach+ aren't fixed values. If you look at Stack and Reach, they're the same, old vs. new.
Understood. Who cares what the Stack and Reach are if the bike comes with a fixed stem length and angle which is integrated into the handlebar? A shipped as-is new Endurace has a good amount less Stack (as ridden) vs the prior model than everyone is saying. Tempest in a teapot?

Domane is interesting reference too. When they first came out with the really low Reach numbers vs. Stack, it sounded dubious. But then you read the component geometry and see that the original handlebars had 100mm of reach (when everyone else was doing 80)
Old 08-16-23, 06:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Yes, I had seen this (or a similar) article noting that VdP's Canyon handlebar did not break at the extensible portion but at the curve where the STI levers are clamped. But I am still unsure about this design. The flex of a contiguous hollow bar is well understood. Less so for an adjustable integrated cockpit. Maybe the extensible option is strengthened to the extent that it does not flex as much as a traditional hollow bar having the same cross-section, thereby concentrating the flexing stress on another part of the bar (e.g., where the lever clamps) and that's why it broke?
Old 08-16-23, 06:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

EDIT: The stem has 1.5 cm of adjustment. Presumably it comes with 1.5 cm of spacers, and you can remove 0.5cm, 1 cm, or 1.5 cm. That means Stack+ could range from 676 mm to 691 mm. Kinda stuck with the same Reach+, though.
Or, the spacers are additive to the 691mm, and so it's 691mm up to 706mm.. which then gets you back to the model that preceded it. Reach actually shortens, right, if you add spacers, as the bars move up toward height of the saddle and toward (since the HT angle angles inwards) the rider.
Old 08-16-23, 08:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Or, the spacers are additive to the 691mm, and so it's 691mm up to 706mm.. which then gets you back to the model that preceded it. Reach actually shortens, right, if you add spacers, as the bars move up toward height of the saddle and toward (since the HT angle angles inwards) the rider.
Based on my own 2020 Endurace CF 7, I'm pretty sure that 691 is the maximum. I'm running 1.5mm of spacer on it and Stack+ measures out to 690mm. That's with a 110mm stem Yeah, reach shortens as you raise the stem, and there's an online calculator for that, but I can't be arsed to find it.

In any case, I withdraw my objections to The New Hotness, and if I were made of money, much as I lust after the Ultimate CFR or the Aeroad CFR, I'd probably go with the Endurace CFR Di2, for that sweet, sweet Dura Ace kit. And it doesn't hurt that it's lighter, either.

Old 08-17-23, 07:31 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Am I correct that the only difference between the "Aero" and Standard version are the wheels? I compared the 2 bikes and maybe I'm missing something? Am I paying an additional $1300 for the DT Swiss ERC 1400 wheels?
Old 08-17-23, 08:16 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Understood. Who cares what the Stack and Reach are if the bike comes with a fixed stem length and angle which is integrated into the handlebar? A shipped as-is new Endurace has a good amount less Stack (as ridden) vs the prior model than everyone is saying. Tempest in a teapot?

Domane is interesting reference too. When they first came out with the really low Reach numbers vs. Stack, it sounded dubious. But then you read the component geometry and see that the original handlebars had 100mm of reach (when everyone else was doing 80)
Hardly. A bit more than 2 degrees less STA on my size will make a huge difference in how the bike feels......on your hands. I would have to run the numbers but one reason I did not buy the last Endurace was what an excessively aggressive forward position on the bike, it was much more aggressive than say a pinarello dogma f, not even a toss up, the Canyon was way, way more aggressive. Seems like they fixed it.
Old 08-17-23, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Hardly. A bit more than 2 degrees less STA on my size will make a huge difference in how the bike feels......on your hands. I would have to run the numbers but one reason I did not buy the last Endurace was what an excessively aggressive forward position on the bike, it was much more aggressive than say a pinarello dogma f, not even a toss up, the Canyon was way, way more aggressive. Seems like they fixed it.
What frame size do you ride?
Old 08-17-23, 08:36 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What frame size do you ride?
61cm

Why?
Old 08-17-23, 08:47 AM
PeteHski

What size frame was this? My size L Endurace certainly doesn’t have an aggressively forward position with the stock setback seatpost. STA is 73.5, same as pretty much every other bike I compared it with in my size. The new one is slacker at 72.1, but that seems more unusual to me.
Old 08-17-23, 08:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I think some actual numbers from the actual company would help clarify things in this thread. This is for the new Endurace bike with internal top tube storage, to be clear.
I highlighted the 7 frame measurements that Canyon lists which are typically referenced when discussing how a bike feels.
A size 61 Cannondale SuperSix EVO is almost identical to the new Canyon Endurace CF SLX in XL size. Like .1 deg different tube angle, 5mm wheelbase difference, 2mm reach difference, 12mn stack difference. Those things can all easily be accounted for with basic fitting like sliding the saddle a smidge or removing a steerer spacer.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I really like the geometry of the Endurace that I would ride.
73.3deg HTA, 72.2deg STA, 415mm chainstay, 73mm bb drop, and stack and reach that would be very close to what I currently ride.

I dont know why, but the geometry for a CF SLX is slightly different than a CF. The CF SLX 8 and CF 8 have different top tube lengths, HTA, STA, standover, Stack+, and Reach+. The actual stack and reach measurements are apparently the same still.

Oh, and Canyon continues to not provide the fork offset so you cant figure out trail. Frustrating.
Old 08-17-23, 08:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

61cm

Why?
So it would have been a 73.5deg STA on the old Canyon Endurace in your size?
Dont look now, but a Dogma from a couple years ago in your size had a 73.4deg STA.
Old 08-17-23, 08:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I think some actual numbers from the actual company would help clarify things in this thread. This is for the new Endurace bike with internal top tube storage, to be clear.
I highlighted the 7 frame measurements that Canyon lists which are typically referenced when discussing how a bike feels.
A size 61 Cannondale SuperSix EVO is almost identical to the new Canyon Endurace CF SLX in XL size. Like .1 deg different tube angle, 5mm wheelbase difference, 2mm reach difference, 12mn stack difference. Those things can all easily be accounted for with basic fitting like sliding the saddle a smidge or removing a steerer spacer.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I really like the geometry of the Endurace that I would ride.
73.3deg HTA, 72.2deg STA, 415mm chainstay, 73mm bb drop, and stack and reach that would be very close to what I currently ride.

I dont know why, but the geometry for a CF SLX is slightly different than a CF. The CF SLX 8 and CF 8 have different top tube lengths, HTA, STA, standover, Stack+, and Reach+. The actual stack and reach measurements are apparently the same still.

Oh, and Canyon continues to not provide the fork offset so you cant figure out trail. Frustrating.
Because the CF is the old model. The new geometry is the CF SLX and the CFR are the new ones.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-17-23, 09:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Slacker STA would be a problem for me. As it is, with the old 73.5 STA, my saddle is clamped at the back of the rails. Mine has a solid seatpost (not the fancy split one)with a fixed setback of 20mm, vs the split one's 25 or 13mm. That might make it hard for me to get the saddle in the right place. My Bianchi has a 72.5 STA, and I have to run a zero setback post.

Old 08-17-23, 10:23 AM
GhostRider62

So it would have been a 73.5deg STA on the old Canyon Endurace in your size?
Dont look now, but a Dogma from a couple years ago in your size had a 73.4deg STA.
no. 72 degrees

The endurace now has a much longer effective top tube because the STA is shallower. This spec is important to me because my upper body is relatively longer than my legs and my arms are longer as well with a 1.05 Ape index. I knew exactly with stem/bar I needed but Canyon would not fit it nor would they take the $400 unit back as credit. There aer websites to allow you to dial your current fit into a new bike. I don't have link off hand
Old 08-17-23, 06:24 PM
PeteHski

no. 72 degrees

The endurace now has a much longer effective top tube because the STA is shallower. This spec is important to me because my upper body is relatively longer than my legs and my arms are longer as well with a 1.05 Ape index. I knew exactly with stem/bar I needed but Canyon would not fit it nor would they take the $400 unit back as credit. There aer websites to allow you to dial your current fit into a new bike. I don't have link off hand
I see the Pinarello Dogma is one of those frames where the STA gets slacker in larger sizes. The smallest frame is 74.4 deg and the largest is 72. Canyon tend to retain the same STA across the size range. Previously 73.5 and now around 72.
Old 08-17-23, 06:43 PM
PeteHski

I don’t see an SL version of the new Endurace. Only SLX and CFR. That really bumps up the price level. The SLX frame adds about £800 over the previous SL with the same component level.
Old 08-17-23, 07:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don’t see an SL version of the new Endurace. Only SLX and CFR. That really bumps up the price level. The SLX frame adds about £800 over the previous SL with the same component level.
You mean there used to be 4 different frame levels? CF, SL, SLX and CFR? CF, SLX and CFR are still around. 4 frame levels sounds a bit overkill if that's what they used to have, and that's not including the still existing AL frameset, which would have made 5.
Old 08-17-23, 09:21 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
About 1 year ago I purchased a Endurace CF SL Ultegra Di2 with Powermeter for $4999. The new CF SLX Ultegra Di2 with Powermeter shows as $4199. That's $800 less than what I paid last year.
Old 08-18-23, 05:11 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
About 1 year ago I purchased a Endurace CF SL Ultegra Di2 with Powermeter for $4999. The new CF SLX Ultegra Di2 with Powermeter shows as $4199. That's $800 less than what I paid last year.
But this version has much cheaper alloy wheels. I was comparing like-for-like component spec to mine. I paid £4600 for my CF SL8 etap and the new equivalent (but with SLX frame) is now £5250. Same wheels and same groupset.
Old 08-18-23, 05:22 AM
PeteHski

You mean there used to be 4 different frame levels? CF, SL, SLX and CFR? CF, SLX and CFR are still around. 4 frame levels sounds a bit overkill if that's what they used to have, and that's not including the still existing AL frameset, which would have made 5.
There was never previously a CFR Endurace. So they have bumped up all the carbon versions by one level. I never saw the value in the SLX version over the SL and I certainly wouldn’t pay literally twice the price of mine for the new CFR. At least the SLX is now available with second tier group sets to make the price more sensible, but still a big price bump from the previous SL with the same component spec. The new one is also fractionally heavier despite the SLX upgrade.

Not a big deal at all and still very competitive compared to other similar bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.