Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saw this today, should I go for this ASAP?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 09:17 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...278454543.html

Thanks.... If you respond
Old 08-24-17, 09:39 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
A report of a crash is always concerning, but otherwise a good price for that bike.
Old 08-24-17, 09:44 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
I think if it checks out ok, it would be hard to go wrong for 100 bucks.
Old 08-24-17, 09:47 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
According to the bicycle blue book, it's worth $0 so $100 is a ripoff
Old 08-24-17, 10:23 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
According to the bicycle blue book, it's worth $0 so $100 is a ripoff
haha

I already texted him, it's 9 pm on a Thursday night so I'll see tomorrow.
Old 08-24-17, 10:25 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
A report of a crash is always concerning, but otherwise a good price for that bike.

Seems that the handlebar stem is broken, so I'd have to replace that. But hopefully, the frame is in good condition, but it is $100 and steel.
Old 08-25-17, 05:19 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Romyan
Seems that the handlebar stem is broken, so I'd have to replace that. But hopefully, the frame is in good condition, but it is $100 and steel.
Are you referring to the one broke "pista" stem? That would be a Presta stem, and needs a tube replaced.
Old 08-25-17, 05:27 AM
builderguy

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check it out carefully. I'm the suspicious type. When I hear it has been crashed once, and as of right now, the tires are flat. This mean no test ride.
Last bike I bought the tires were flat. The guy said he couldn't find his pump, because he was moving and had packed it away. I could sit on it, size seemed good.
After I bought it, for $100, got home aired up the tires, the right crank was bent. It's fixed now, but that is my story.

Buyer beware.
Old 08-25-17, 06:31 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by builderguy
Check it out carefully. I'm the suspicious type. When I hear it has been crashed once, and as of right now, the tires are flat. This mean no test ride.
Last bike I bought the tires were flat. The guy said he couldn't find his pump, because he was moving and had packed it away. I could sit on it, size seemed good.
After I bought it, for $100, got home aired up the tires, the right crank was bent. It's fixed now, but that is my story.

Buyer beware.

I would say this^^ is great advice! $100 seems super cheap.....unless your willing to make it a build if it turns out to be a lemon I too say CAUTION! Test ride would be critical in this deal.
Old 08-25-17, 06:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I would say this^^ is great advice! $100 seems super cheap.....unless your willing to make it a build if it turns out to be a lemon I too say CAUTION! Test ride would be critical in this deal.
Not really. You can visually check the frame for any structural damage; you can visually check the wheels and parts.

Also bring some tools to make sure that the seatpost and stem aren't stuck.

This is a deal at $100 assuming the bike checks out.
Old 08-25-17, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not really. You can visually check the frame for any structural damage;
But you can't always tell if the frame is straight from a visual inspection alone. Back in the early 90s I got hit t-boned by a car. My body absorbed much of the impact, but the bike did get hit. Other than a bent crank arm, it looked fine to the naked eye. Brought it to a shop and found the frame was slightly out of line when checked with a tool.
Old 08-25-17, 07:36 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
It's super-cheap. It's been in a crash. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 08-25-17, 07:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But you can't always tell if the frame is straight from a visual inspection alone. Back in the early 90s I got hit t-boned by a car. My body absorbed much of the impact, but the bike did get hit. Other than a bent crank arm, it looked fine to the naked eye. Brought it to a shop and found the frame was slightly out of line when checked with a tool.
I don't think we're disagreeing. Heck a bike doesn't even need a crash to be out of line. The point is that if there is no visual sign of damage, then the bike is likely fine or can be straightened if need be and most people don't care if a bike is slightly out of line.

I've bought bikes that I was unable to ride (I just bought one with flat tubulars) and had no issues with the frame. I did do a close visual inspection of the frame for signs of a crash.
Old 08-25-17, 07:51 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Nothing really high end on the bike, should be fine as a rider, but as pointed out make sure to look it over carefully. Even with flat tires you should be able to lift up the back end and cycle through the shifting to make sure there are no irreparable issues with shifters/derailleurs. Articulate the brakes, spin the wheels to eyeball trueness. Crinkling of paint can indicate a stress point in the frame from the crash, I'd look that over carefully.

Kinda intrigued if "pista stem" was referring to the presta valve, or the handlebar stem, as it seems that pista stem can also refer to a type of that.
Old 08-25-17, 09:40 AM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Nothing really high end on the bike, should be fine as a rider, but as pointed out make sure to look it over carefully. Even with flat tires you should be able to lift up the back end and cycle through the shifting to make sure there are no irreparable issues with shifters/derailleurs. Articulate the brakes, spin the wheels to eyeball trueness. Crinkling of paint can indicate a stress point in the frame from the crash, I'd look that over carefully.

Kinda intrigued if "pista stem" was referring to the presta valve, or the handlebar stem, as it seems that pista stem can also refer to a type of that.

I think it's the handlebar stem.
Old 08-25-17, 09:42 AM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not really. You can visually check the frame for any structural damage; you can visually check the wheels and parts.

Also bring some tools to make sure that the seatpost and stem aren't stuck.

This is a deal at $100 assuming the bike checks out.

I will obviously check to see how bad is the damage and such. If it's good I'll buy it, waiting for the seller to reply currently.
Old 08-25-17, 09:43 AM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530

Of course, that's my first thought when I eventually can check it out.
Old 08-25-17, 09:46 AM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Are you referring to the one broke "pista" stem? That would be a Presta stem, and needs a tube replaced.

I'll see if I can get it pumped temporarily with a airpump or use a patch kit to test it.
Old 08-25-17, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Pista makes bike stems for handlebars. If it is just a screw they tightened too tight and stripped, then that 30 bucks plus shipping right off the bat you need to take off the price. If there is a crack or something else wrong with the stem, I'd want to pull the fork and inspect the steering tube.

I'd also take off the cost of new tires and tubes since he can't prove they are good. There is another 25 to 40 bucks plus shipping.

And never be afraid to offer less than half what the seller is asking even if it does not have any defects. Don't contribute to a "sellers market" by paying asking price unless the seller is completely oblivious to the fact he should be asking ten times more.

Plus I'd want to know how much it weighs. There are a lot of "look like" light weight road bikes that are in fact 30 to almost 50 pounds. You don't notice the weight cruising, but trying to accelerate or climb it's noticeable. You can get a 22 pound bike for 100 to 150 dollars if you are patient.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-25-17 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 10:31 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys seriously wouldn't buy a bike that's been laid down? I think as long as it hasn't been in a "head on" collision, it's fine.

Laying down a bike won't hurt it other than scuffs on the paint/handlebars/saddle. (Assuming it's not carbon.) Many of my bikes have been laid down at one point or another, I have absolutely zero issue still riding them.
Old 08-25-17, 10:38 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
You guys seriously wouldn't buy a bike that's been laid down? I think as long as it hasn't been in a "head on" collision, it's fine.

Laying down a bike won't hurt it other than scuffs on the paint/handlebars/saddle. (Assuming it's not carbon.) Many of my bikes have been laid down at one point or another, I have absolutely zero issue still riding them.
+1. Didn't even cross my mind to list the bike I just sold as having been in a wreck. No damage whatsoever, other than scuffed pedals and bar tape, no real point in bringing it up even if it had crossed my mind. The bike probably took more damage in bike racks. I'd be silly to think any of my pre-loved bikes hadn't been in a wreck of some sort, then again if it is mentioned in the sales ad, I am certainly going to look it over good.
Old 08-25-17, 11:19 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Pista makes bike stems for handlebars. If it is just a screw they tightened too tight and stripped, then that 30 bucks plus shipping right off the bat you need to take off the price. If there is a crack or something else wrong with the stem, I'd want to pull the fork and inspect the steering tube.
The following is from the craigslist description;

"Has one broken pista stem that will need replacement."

"Handlebar Stem: Specialized Elite-Set"
Old 08-25-17, 12:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by 02Giant
The following is from the craigslist description;

"Has one broken pista stem that will need replacement."

"Handlebar Stem: Specialized Elite-Set"
And your point is?
Old 08-25-17, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by jefnvk
+1. Didn't even cross my mind to list the bike I just sold as having been in a wreck. No damage whatsoever, other than scuffed pedals and bar tape, no real point in bringing it up even if it had crossed my mind. The bike probably took more damage in bike racks. I'd be silly to think any of my pre-loved bikes hadn't been in a wreck of some sort, then again if it is mentioned in the sales ad, I am certainly going to look it over good.
I agree. Who has not had a wreck of some sort? The only time I think a wreck needs to be disclosed is if there is physical damage that has not been fixed or the seller knows it was not fixed in a commonly accepted manner. Scratches from laying one down and other cosmetic stuff is for the buyer to find themselves.

So Buyer's beware! And don't buy at asking price.
Old 08-25-17, 12:30 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I've been buying and selling hobby stuff on craigslist for many years. Before getting back into bicycles a few years ago, it was electric guitars and related stuff (amplifiers, effects pedals, etc.).

My philosophy when shopping on craigslist is this, at least in a major metropolitan area with a large and active craigslist:

If there's one of something you like for sale, that means there will be others. Wait until the right one comes along.

That might mean price or color or condition or seller's location or whatever. If I have any doubt looking at the ad, I save my time and money and wait for the next one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.