Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale HM Frame with Lab71 Paint - What's Up with That?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 02:18 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

Evidently the EF Education "Lab71" bikes are HM (high mod) frames with Lab71 paint. What's up with that?

This "false advertising" might anger some folks, while others are agnostic or simply don't care. Personally, I find it curious. It's definitely an odd business decision by Cannondale, and I find it hard to dismiss as "innocent and clumsy". Whether it angers you or not, Cannondale is trying to sell something to the consumer that even their pro riders evidently don't need. The HM frame seems to be more than "good enough" if you're a world tour rider.

When Cannondale announced Lab71 it seemed they were trying to create a new "top tier" that represented the best in quality and innovation. It made for good marketing I suppose, but on the ground level I'm failing to understand the logic and strategy behind the whole Lab71 concept. It's looking like little more than a money grab.

Old 01-11-24, 08:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Are you able to return it, get your $ back?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-12-24, 05:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Looks like they are simply going for limited edition exclusivity here. What’s the problem? The plebs can just buy a standard bike.

Edit: Ignore this post, I misunderstood the issue here

Last edited by PeteHski; 01-12-24 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-12-24, 06:33 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
No one is forced to buy anything in this free country. Personally, I would never buy a team bike. The only one I kind of like is Pogacar's V4RS because it's sleeper.
Old 01-12-24, 06:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Not sure what the issue is here .... are you saying you bought a Lab 71 frames and have learned that it is better than the frames ridden by EF Education and are upset?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-12-24, 06:57 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not sure what the issue is here .... are you saying you bought a Lab 71 frames and have learned that it is better than the frames ridden by EF Education and are upset?
That was my initial thought, but I don't believe OP bought anything.
Old 01-12-24, 01:04 PM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Hmm, I thought the OP was pretty clear.
* The bikes EF Ed. are riding are badged as Lab 71.
* The bikes EF Ed are riding are actually HM frames.
* Why would the team ride the "lower" tier HM frames?
It doesn't seem necessary to explain Cannondale's reasons for giving the public the impression that the Pros are riding Lab 71 bikes (to sell more Lab 71 bikes, which are presumably higher in price and profit margin; and to enhance the image of the company). But, what's in it for the team? Lower cost? Other? Or, why would Pros prefer to ride the "lower" tier bike - is it actually "better" in some way?
Likes For noimagination:
Old 01-12-24, 01:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Evidently the EF Education "Lab71" bikes are HM (high mod) frames with Lab71 paint. What's up with that?

This "false advertising" might anger some folks, while others are agnostic or simply don't care. Personally, I find it curious. It's definitely an odd business decision by Cannondale, and I find it hard to dismiss as "innocent and clumsy". Whether it angers you or not, Cannondale is trying to sell something to the consumer that even their pro riders evidently don't need. The HM frame seems to be more than "good enough" if you're a world tour rider.

When Cannondale announced Lab71 it seemed they were trying to create a new "top tier" that represented the best in quality and innovation. It made for good marketing I suppose, but on the ground level I'm failing to understand the logic and strategy behind the whole Lab71 concept. It's looking like little more than a money grab.

So it's a himod frame with cool paint?
OK then.

Spending an extra $2000 for lab71 to save 100g seems insane to me, but I guess others find value in it.
Personally, a himod with cool paint for half the increased cost of a lab71 would seem like more value...at least to me...if I wanted to spend $12-14,000 on a bike.

A quick Google found that this is hardly groundbreaking news. It's well documented on red-dit and weightweenies forums.
Old 01-12-24, 02:44 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by noimagination
It doesn't seem necessary to explain Cannondale's reasons for giving the public the impression that the Pros are riding Lab 71 bikes (to sell more Lab 71 bikes, which are presumably higher in price and profit margin; and to enhance the image of the company). But, what's in it for the team? Lower cost? Other? Or, why would Pros prefer to ride the "lower" tier bike - is it actually "better" in some way?
Ah I see now. I thought initially that the OP was just commenting on the elitist frame tier.

Maybe the LAB 71 frames were simply not available in time to supply the pro team. That would be the obvious reason.
Old 01-12-24, 03:13 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Maybe the LAB 71 frames were simply not available in time to supply the pro team. That would be the obvious reason.
Obvious and correct. Cannondale and EF made no secret of it at the time. I should say it was more of an open secret.

Last edited by asgelle; 01-12-24 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 01-12-24, 04:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
So why is the advertising on the bicycle bothering you more than the advertising you see anywhere else?
Old 01-12-24, 04:41 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So why is the advertising on the bicycle bothering you more than the advertising you see anywhere else?
That was my initial reaction except that it’s more analogous to seeing “Pirelli” on the side of an F1 tyre than a brand of bathroom fittings on a cycling team’s jersey. It’s more of an endorsement of the product being fit for purpose than a simple ad placement.
Old 01-13-24, 07:26 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by choddo
That was my initial reaction except that it’s more analogous to seeing “Pirelli” on the side of an F1 tyre than a brand of bathroom fittings on a cycling team’s jersey. It’s more of an endorsement of the product being fit for purpose than a simple ad placement.
Deleting the LAB 71 branding would have caused more confusion and certainly undermined the product. Cannondale are pretty open about LAB 71 being all about nth degree marginal gains. It's not as if the Hi-Mod frames are a totally different product. I don't get your analogy with Pirelli F1 tyres. They bear very little in common with Pirelli road tyres.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-13-24, 07:36 AM
PeteHski

To me at least, advertising LAB 71 as part of a race team paint job is fair play, even if the frames are not actually the genuine article because of logistical issues. Cannondale are sponsoring the team specifically to advertise their brand, so it would be insane to delete the branding they are paying to promote.
Old 01-13-24, 07:38 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by asgelle
Obvious and correct. Cannondale and EF made no secret of it at the time. I should say it was more of an open secret.
Occam's razor worked in this case then
Old 01-13-24, 07:45 AM
PeteHski

Cannondale is trying to sell something to the consumer that even their pro riders evidently don't need. The HM frame seems to be more than "good enough" if you're a world tour rider.
Meh, you could say the same thing if they had all their team bikes on 105 drivetrains. The pro team riders don't "need" DuraAce, but they will take the marginal gains when available. In this case they had to make do with 100g heavier frames.

Last edited by PeteHski; 01-13-24 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-13-24, 09:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
First off one would need to prove that Cannondale wanted everyone to believe that the team was using Lab 71 frames, and that "Lab 71" on the frame wasn't just an advertisement for Lab 71. Then you would have to explain why the info about the availability (or lack) of Lab 712 frames is such common knowledge if Cannondale indeed intended deception.

Then one would have to make the leap to understand that professional road racing is not just marketing, nor street riding, nor much in any way associated with what most of us do with our bikes. Since a lot of pro Tour bikes need (or used to need) ballast to meet the minimum requirement, while no street rider is in any way bound by UCI rules ..... yeah, not much point is giving the teams frames which are lighter and also need ballasting. But for a person who can build a bike as light as s/he wants for road riding .... the extra hundred grams might give you that psychological edge.

The tome of the OP seems to me to be sort of aggrieved at being deceived .... "Cannondale is Lying to us" because obviously if Lab 71 is "better" the team would use it, and if the team doesn't use it, it must not be "better" ..... but the key point there is the definition of "better."

Better for a UCI race bike and better for a road bike bound by no restrictions but the rider's budget and imagination are not necessarily related.

However, being offended is the new international sport of choice, it seems, and who am I to interfere in others' emotional athletic entertainment?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-13-24, 05:40 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Originally Posted by noimagination
^ THIS. I haven't purchased anything. I was just commenting on the curious decision by Cannondale to supply EF Education with HM frames painted to look like Lab71.
Old 01-13-24, 05:56 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ah I see now. I thought initially that the OP was just commenting on the elitist frame tier.

I give Cannondale a pass for doing this last season when Lab71 was brand new and production likely lagged behind the marketing effort. But this is the 2nd season that Cannondale is doing this, when Lab71 frames are in decent supply. I'm not angry about Cannondale's false advertising. I just find it curious and see nothing wrong with calling them out for it, that's all. The bike industry is weird.

As for elitist tier frames, I have no issue with it. I own a few of those elitist frames myself.

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 01-13-24 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-13-24, 05:58 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
But this is the 2nd season that Cannondale is doing this, ...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe EF has raced yet this year so who's to say. Teams often give riders lower quality bikes (sometimes even last year's race bikes) for training.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 01-13-24, 06:12 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

First off one would need to prove that Cannondale wanted everyone to believe that the team was using Lab 71 frames, and that "Lab 71" on the frame wasn't just an advertisement for Lab 71. Then you would have to explain why the info about the availability (or lack) of Lab 712 frames is such common knowledge if Cannondale indeed intended deception.

Then one would have to make the leap to understand that professional road racing is not just marketing, nor street riding, nor much in any way associated with what most of us do with our bikes. Since a lot of pro Tour bikes need (or used to need) ballast to meet the minimum requirement, while no street rider is in any way bound by UCI rules ..... yeah, not much point is giving the teams frames which are lighter and also need ballasting. But for a person who can build a bike as light as s/he wants for road riding .... the extra hundred grams might give you that psychological edge.

The tome of the OP seems to me to be sort of aggrieved at being deceived .... "Cannondale is Lying to us" because obviously if Lab 71 is "better" the team would use it, and if the team doesn't use it, it must not be "better" ..... but the key point there is the definition of "better."

Better for a UCI race bike and better for a road bike bound by no restrictions but the rider's budget and imagination are not necessarily related.

However, being offended is the new international sport of choice, it seems, and who am I to interfere in others' emotional athletic entertainment?
Nobody's going through any emotional athletic entertainment. It's all good. It's just weird bike industry stuff and an odd business decision. It does nothing to elevate the Lab71 brand. And if you're in the business of selling luxury items for absolute top dollar it's generally not good for business if you cheapen your brand.

It's fine if you disagree. I have no problem with that. Based on the responses so far I'm gaining some understanding as to why Cannondale might be engaging in such practices. As long as it's allowed to be an "open secret" then it's acceptable? Do I have that right?

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 01-13-24 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-14-24, 08:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Given the level of concern, I assumed OP had paid big money for one and then been disappointed. Good to know there is no skin in the game.
Old 01-14-24, 11:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well what about the branding of the other sponsors being on frames and kits that don't even make a product for cycling? Are we to assume that all the members of EF are using the services of Education First or that they use the Easy Post app or services to ship? And then there is Ag2r, Bora Hansgrohe and almost every other pro team out there.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-14-24 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-14-24, 04:00 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well what about the branding of the other sponsors being on frames and kits that don't even make a product for cycling? Are we to assume that all the members of EF are using the services of Education First or that they use the Easy Post app or services to ship? And then there is Ag2r, Bora Hansgrohe and almost every other pro team out there.
Your last example there was my exact point. Bora Hansgrohe make bathroom fittings.
Old 01-14-24, 04:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Your last example there was my exact point. Bora Hansgrohe make bathroom fittings.
Oh... I'm slow on the uptake sometime. I misread or misunderstood the comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.