Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Knuckleheads/trailer touring info, pls

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 08:13 AM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Knuckleheads (or any trailer traveler), I really liked that posting you made to the teen concerning a tour and towing a trailer. As this is my first tour (and trailer), could you please make other suggestions based on your experiences? The more prepared I can be, the better. I'll definitely look into the spokes as you've previously mentioned.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-11, 02:52 PM
Knuckleheads

Bikes: Apollo Triathlon,Colnago Master Piu, Giant OCR3, Trek Madone 3.1,Trek T900 Tandem, Bob Trailer, Trek 6500 mtb, Uni Cycle, Mini Penny Farthing,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I originally purchased my BOB trailer, I had researched both the BoB and the Burley Nomad trailer. Both are very good, but with my setup, and the fact that I wanted to do a bit of off road riding, I chose the BoB. It does have it's own set of issues such as how do you park your bike so that BoB doesn't tip it over, and loading is an art. I once loaded to heavy on the back of the trailer, and it was very unstable. That is where 2 wheels makes a big difference. Once you figure out how to pack the trailer, it is great. Now that I have stepped into the world of Tandems and Touring with my 9 year old daughter. I am glad I went single wheel, even though I am almost 10 feet long with the trailer attached. Many years ago I owned a Burley Tour delite trailer. Big problem with it was it's size, being the width. It was dangerous on the roads as it stuck out into the vehicle lane on narrow bike paths. I also noticed a fair bit of drag with it behind me. The biggest advantage to two wheels is that they do not put as much stress on the back wheel as a single wheel. Both single and dual wheel do help burn the back tire off of your bike very fast!
If you are looking at trailers, try a couple of them out. Rent one or borrow one to see what works for you. One of the other deciding factors on the Bob purchase was is when I was set up in one place for a day or two, I would wheel Bob into my Sierra designs Velox one tent and he fit in there no problem. The Nomad would be a tighter fit as the Velox one tent is a very narrow single person tent.

I don't know if you had noticed from my picture on the other post, but i was also able to attach two water bottles cages on the back of the BoB trailer to haul extra water on my trips. This is a major issue in some areas, so having the ability to to that was a bonus.

Bob also works as a great firewood collector when I beach camp. I take him off the bike and use him like a wheel barrow as I walk down the beach collecting wood for my nightly beach fire. I really like beach camping!

I have also been known to speak to Bob as I drag his ass up steep hills. On my last tour I had to drag him up a continous 13km 12% switchback hill. If only he could talk back! He wouldn't have anything nice to say either!

I mentioned that I own a tandem, and my daughter and I did a trip last summer with full panniers. I so wished that I had used BoB! I really didn't like how the bike performed with panniers. I plan now to use only the front panniers with BoB in tow. My biggest decision to go trailer was I wanted my bike to feel like it does when i have nothing attached to it, and I wanted to be able to do some trail riding or urban riding without racks and bags hanging off my bike. When I am planning trips, I like to set up in one area, and do some touristy things or some riding in the area. Being able to quickly release the trailer and go is an asset. The addition of the seat post mounted rack for a day pack on my mountain bike was the best purchase for my touring gear. I am now able to have my camera easier to get to for those amazing shots, and I can simply reach back and grab a snack on the go or whatever I need without having to stop and look for it.

Some people swear by their panniers. It is a personal choice and one that you will have to explore before you go on your first trip.

Hope this helps!

Have a great trip
Old 02-22-11, 08:08 AM
oren_hershco
oren_hershco

Bikes: Niner EMD , carbon rigid fork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my Carry-Freedom trailer, on south-America tour:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10215936

And this is what I answered about this trailer:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10222590
Old 02-28-11, 08:55 AM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Knuckleheads! I've purchased a Mayacycle and am about to do some practice runs on the hills and semi-crappy roads around my area. I 'bought it because it was lighter than the Bob (13 lbs) and had a few features that are extra w/Bob. So far, it seems well made and it was easy to assemble. Obviously, I'll know more when it's actually put to the test.

I didn't want to travel w/panniers for all of the reasons that you mentioned and also because my face once kissed the tarmac when I had a loaded bike. The idea of being able to detach a trailer and go really appealed to me. I'll let you know about my conversations with Maya once we hit the local hills (including Mt. Sunnuvabich).

Oren: I almost went for the Carry Freedom trailer but was told that it wasn't good for long-distance touring. How did it work for you? It looks like a really nice set-up.