Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Want to move a Shimano crankset to the right ~2mm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 12:47 AM
beanbag
S*v* J*sus

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello folks,
I'm trying to fit a Shimano GRX crankset + road BB onto my older full suspension mountain bike (68mm shell, MTB BB and cranks) as part of a conversion to a gravel bike. In terms of Q factor and crank arm to chainstay clearance, that part worked out fine.
What was unexpected was that the 46T chainring barely hits the chainstay due to [reasons]. So I would like to move the drive side over by at least 1 mm, preferably 2mm. To do this, I was thinking of the following:
1) move the drive side BB shell out by 1-2 mm, either by adding a spacer, or using the MTB BB cup (1 mm thinner) and add one 2.5mm spacer (= 1.5mm total) since I already have those laying around.
2) for the non-drive side, use the MTB BB cup to gain back 1mm worth of crank arm spline engagement.
(I would use the road plastic inner cylinder because it is shorter)

One important question is what is the safe range for the crank arm spline engagement? Is it "as long as the locking plate slides back in"? In the "default" installed configuration, it looks like the locking pin is exactly in the middle of the big hole in the splines, and about 2mm of splines in the crankarm are still showing. But the hole is big enough that the crankarm can go +/-2mm in either direction. Is this still considered within the "safe" range?

Any other ideas?
(It's ok to suggest giving up since I can probably still return the cranks, having not actually used them)
Old 07-28-22, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Chain line of GRX cranks is 47 mm. Most 11 or so speed road bikes expect a chain line to be about 43.5 mm.

I'm just not sure why you'd want to insist on putting a GRX crank on your road bike unless the chain line, which is determined by your rear cassette position is not what a 11 speed road bike will have.

If you are trying to get a smaller size of chain rings, then there are better options.

edit... coming back to this I realize now that the OP did state it was for an older Mountain Bike. So just take where I said road bike out of the text and substitute older mountain bike. Older mountain bikes had narrower chain lines than what GRX is made for.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-28-22 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-28-22, 11:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
A 68mm shell width is odd for a mtb. I think you need to first look at the chainline with the crank too close to the chainstay. If moving it out a mm or two will keep things close to centered then you probably won’t have a chainline problem.

I “think”, not positive, the GRX crank will fit 68/70 BB shells, so you can probably thank those Italians for that extra 1mm to 2mm DS spacer.

John
Old 07-28-22, 12:48 PM
beanbag
S*v* J*sus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Chain line of GRX cranks is 47 mm. Most 11 or so speed road bikes expect a chain line to be about 43.5 mm.

I'm just not sure why you'd want to insist on putting a GRX crank on your road bike unless the chain line, which is determined by your rear cassette position is not what a 11 speed road bike will have.

If you are trying to get a smaller size of chain rings, then there are better options.

edit... coming back to this I realize now that the OP did state it was for an older Mountain Bike. So just take where I said road bike out of the text and substitute older mountain bike. Older mountain bikes had narrower chain lines than what GRX is made for.
my bike expects chainline of 49mm, but as a 3x, and therefore not a 46T chainring so close
Old 07-28-22, 12:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'd still find a proper size crank instead of using something not intended for the purpose. I guess there is a certain appeal to re-engineering stuff and making square pegs go in round holes, I use to do that myself. But over the last decade or so I find it more easy to get the correct stuff.

And for the old bikes I had that I couldn't get the correct stuff easily or at a cost I was willing to pay, well they are gone... either someone else's issue or in the scrapyard.
Old 07-28-22, 01:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
What was unexpected was that the 46T chainring barely hits the chainstay due to [reasons]
I'm not familiar with the BB in question, but if you can, (If the NDS crank arm doesn't cause issues) omit the spacers on the NDS & place (stack) those on the DS next to the spacers meant for the DS.
Assuming the tolerance needed is less than 3mm.
Old 07-30-22, 02:25 PM
beanbag
S*v* J*sus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used the method mentioned in the first post, and it seems to work out ok. Overall, this resulted in the chainline being moved out 1.5mm, yet the non-drive side only lost 0.5mm worth of engagement over stock.
Old 07-30-22, 03:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by beanbag
I used the method mentioned in the first post, and it seems to work out ok. Overall, this resulted in the chainline being moved out 1.5mm, yet the non-drive side only lost 0.5mm worth of engagement over stock.
i'm not following the method you used, can you quote the method you used?
Old 07-30-22, 07:45 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I think we called them spacers last century....
"Uncontrolled reentry" made me chuckle today.
Old 08-01-22, 05:58 PM
beanbag
S*v* J*sus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
drive side: mtb cup +2.5mm spacer
non-drive: mtb cup only

Shimano overview:
mtb cranks have longer spindle than road cranks
mtb BB cups are actually 1mm shorter than road BB cups
MTB crank + bottom bracket setup involves spacers
Road cranks and BB uses no spacers
Likes For beanbag:
Old 08-01-22, 05:59 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Good job!

John