Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Rack for Orlieb Front-Roller Classics

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 01:03 PM
goodfoot

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I've just invested in a pair of Ortlieb Front-Roller Classics. I've love the panniers, however, they don't seem to fit correctly on my current Axiom Journey 2 Lowrider.

https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Journey-...582140&sr=8-10

Specifically, no matter how I adjust it, the bottom hook on the Ortlieb doesn't fit snug around the bottom part of the Axiom rack.

So, if you're a Orlieb Front-Roller user, what rack do you prefer? Of course, the Ortlieb website suggests Tubas, but I'd like to find out if there are more affordable options out there.

I ride a Surly LHT with 26" wheels and the brazed-on forks. I prefer the lowriders because of the perceived stability, but I'm open to suggestions of the "highrider." I'm also a little intrigued by front racks with the top platform. But, mainly, I want a rack that's appropriate for the pannier.
Old 07-13-11, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Inserts are for 11 and 8mm racks , Bruce Gordon and Tubus Use a 10mm Tube of steel

solid aluminum rod is often 8 mm, like the Blackburn and Knockoffs..

I have Tubus Ergo on my Koga WTR, it works fine..
older type1 hooks are 10mm
I put the newer ones on my older Sport Packer set , 8mm insert,
on my Bike Friday's front Pannier rack

a bit of rattle, i could wrap it with Gaffer's Tape in those spots,
to make the fit tighter,

you could do that on your's too..

this seems a Go To front low rider rack , https://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS...ARA%20PAGE.htm

that axiom is a wanna be.. in comparison.

You bought that rack, already?
did you flip the hook to engage the smaller diameter strut across that bottom curve?

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-13-11 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 01:33 PM
goodfoot

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, fietbob. But I probably didn't make myself clear. The top attachments work fine. It's the bottom hook that doesn't completely fit around the bottom part of the rack. I barely get the tip of the hook around the bar.
Old 07-13-11, 01:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
QL1 top mount , right? , straight or elliptical bottom hook mount type ?

consider part # "Art.-Nr: e110" https://www.ortlieb.com/index_black.php

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-13-11 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 02:14 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have Frontrollers and a standard Cyclepro rear platform rack mounted on the front. Worked fine on an 1800-mile tour, except for the load riding high and forward, making steering slightly exaggerated. I've since bolted two 8mm tubes on the rack's struts and now carry the Frontrollers about 4-inches lower and a few inches more to the rear. Recently did a short week-long tour with that setup. Big improvement in handling, no problems with mounting, and very little expense.
Old 07-13-11, 03:21 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
Tubus Tara works fine with my Sportspacker Plus, after a bit of adjustment.

I suggest the following: unscrew the knob around the center of the lower "hook" until it's wiggling around both the center screw, and the track. Put the pack on the rack. Play with the hook until you find a position in which it'll be secure, then tighten the mounting knob down.

I ended up with the hook pointing down and out slightly, but it goes on and off easily and doesn't flop.
Old 07-13-11, 04:14 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I've put front rollers and classics on a Tubus Tara and Old Man Mountain Sherpa on my 26" wheeled LHT. I've got it set up with the OMM Sherpa and find the handling just fine. On the 700cLHT the handling with the top mount Sherpa wasn't good and went with the Tara low rider. Personally I like the top mount for 26" wheeled LHT, I just don't like how low the bags are to the ground.

https://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/...rontRacks.html

I removed the entire quick release lower assembly from the rack and attached it straight onto the top eyelet on the fork with a 1/4" spacer to clear the width of the fork blade at the dropout. While the rack sits narrower than the IRD cantilevers on my LHT I suspect the stock Oryx cantilevers are a smidge narrower. Either way the Ortliebs barely touch the brakes and don't affect braking. I have the panniers adjusted back so they're covering the brakes.