Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1997 Specialized Sirrus N+1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 07:00 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 446 Posts

I had posted in this forum looking for information and/or opinions before I bought it, but only got one reply and nobody else said they owned one. It's a 1997 Specialized Sirrus. I ended up buying it, for $200. The seller said it had hung in the basement for the past 14 years, and judging by the condition I tend to believe it. Even before it was put away, it seems to have been ridden very little, judging by the normal indicators of brake track wear, chainrings, etc.

What's interesting about it is that after they discontinued the popular lugged-frame Sirrus (1993-ish), it disappeared from the lineup until it came back years later as an aluminum hybrid. Except for this one year - 1997. This is a fully DB chromoly frame and fork, built with Specialized "Direct Drive" tubing, but it's TIG welded. It seems to be a one-off for that year only. Naturally I always prefer a lugged frame, but I have to say the TIG welding on this is the best I've seen. (Gotta love those robots!) The groupset is Shimano RSX all the way around.

Since everything is in good shape, I won't have to replace much - just a teardown/rebuild with new tires, tubes, cables, etc. I'm planning to keep it mostly original but the one thing I will be replacing is the shifters and brake levers. I hate brifters so I'll need to decide what I want to do with this one. The tires are 23c but it looks like I'll have room for 28, or at least 25.

I predict it will turn out to be a very nice ride.

Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-09-23, 07:32 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 550 Posts
Beautiful condition! The brifters will be snatched up quickly and 2 bills is a great price for this machine.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 10-09-23, 01:28 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Beautiful condition! The brifters will be snatched up quickly and 2 bills is a great price for this machine.
I haven't had them on a bike before, but I think when I remove the bolt-on housing stops I may find regular downtube shifter bosses. It would be sweet if that's the case, and I can just throw on a set of downtube shifters.
Old 10-09-23, 01:38 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked 1,664 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I haven't had them on a bike before, but I think when I remove the bolt-on housing stops I may find regular downtube shifter bosses. It would be sweet if that's the case, and I can just throw on a set of downtube shifters.
That kind of housing stop is exclusively used with shifter bosses.

In 1997 RSX was still 7 speed, so your best bets for shifters are 80s Ultegra, the blue '89 105 levers or RX100. The Ultegra feel the best, the RX100 would match the best

Shimano still makes a period correct aero brake lever
Old 10-09-23, 02:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,703 Posts
I had posted in this forum looking for information and/or opinions before I bought it, but only got one reply and nobody else said they owned one. It's a 1997 Specialized Sirrus. I ended up buying it, for $200. The seller said it had hung in the basement for the past 14 years, and judging by the condition I tend to believe it. Even before it was put away, it seems to have been ridden very little, judging by the normal indicators of brake track wear, chainrings, etc.

What's interesting about it is that after they discontinued the popular lugged-frame Sirrus (1993-ish), it disappeared from the lineup until it came back years later as an aluminum hybrid. Except for this one year - 1997. This is a fully DB chromoly frame and fork, built with Specialized "Direct Drive" tubing, but it's TIG welded. It seems to be a one-off for that year only. Naturally I always prefer a lugged frame, but I have to say the TIG welding on this is the best I've seen. (Gotta love those robots!) The groupset is Shimano RSX all the way around.

Since everything is in good shape, I won't have to replace much - just a teardown/rebuild with new tires, tubes, cables, etc. I'm planning to keep it mostly original but the one thing I will be replacing is the shifters and brake levers. I hate brifters so I'll need to decide what I want to do with this one. The tires are 23c but it looks like I'll have room for 28, or at least 25.

I predict it will turn out to be a very nice ride.

WOW!

That is fantastic and a beautiful color, amazing, great score.

I get the brifter phfttt, but would encourage you to give them a chance, I have a couple of retro builds with them and they really bring out the greatness of the frames that was being held back some despite being original DT shifters.

This frame was designed specifically for them, something Big S excelled at, not that you may ever tell but you never know.
Old 10-09-23, 03:44 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by merziac
WOW!

I get the brifter phfttt, but would encourage you to give them a chance, I have a couple of retro builds with them and they really bring out the greatness of the frames that was being held back some despite being original DT shifters.

This frame was designed specifically for them, something Big S excelled at, not that you may ever tell but you never know.
How did Specialized design specifically for brifters on a frame with down tube shifter bosses?
Old 10-09-23, 03:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Kontact
How did Specialized design specifically for brifters on a frame with down tube shifter bosses?
As stated above, those bosses are likely brifter cable guide specific, even if not, as I stated, Big S went very far down the rabbit hole with design and consideration in all they did and yes, maybe not a lot goes into these but between Merz, DiNucci and so many other amazing designers they ingrained a lot of this sort of thing into all they do.

I would think a frame where brifters are used and many will spend more time on the hoods and less in the drops would be a consideration knowing how they did things.

They are one of the few companies that truly get after it like that, that far back.

Really just my 2c so......
Old 10-09-23, 03:58 PM
Jeff Neese

WOW!

Thanks. The last thing I needed was another bike, but ... Well, you know.

When we've traveled without our bikes and end up renting some, I've made it a point to try to like brifters. I just don't. I know I'm in the minority. I have a set of Dia Compe ENE downtube shifters, but might want to go indexed on this one. I'm sure between now and spring, a nice set of NOS Shimano 3x7 will show up on eBay. It's either that or bar ends. I'll stash the original brifters away in case I ever sell it.

I'm pretty sure that Specialized mostly designed their own frames (and still do) but outsourced the manufacturing to a number of places over the years. It's curious that it seems to be a one-off. Specialized documentation is pretty sparse but I'm unaware of anywhere else this frame was used. It probably didn't sell very well because average consumers viewed it as old tech compared to the cool-looking hydroformed aluminum bikes that were becoming popular, so Specialized dropped it after one year. It is indeed a very nice frame. Between my wife and I we have three Rockhoppers, all of similar tubing (Specialized "Direct Drive Cro-Moly"), and those are superb frames. I think this will ride and handle great.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 10-09-23 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-09-23, 04:08 PM
merziac

Thanks. The last thing I needed was another bike, but ... Well, you know.

When we've traveled without our bikes and end up renting some, I've made it a point to try to like brifters. I just don't. I know I'm in the minority. I have a set of Dia Compe ENE downtube shifters, but might want to go indexed on this one. I'm sure between now and spring, a nice set of NOS Shimano 3x7 will show up on eBay. It's either that or bar ends. I'll stash the original brifters away in case I ever sell it.

I'm pretty sure that Specialized mostly designed their own frames (and still do) but outsourced the manufacturing to a number of places over the years. It's curious that it seems to be a one-off. Specialized documentation is pretty sparse but I'm unaware of anywhere else this frame was used. It probably didn't sell very well because average consumers viewed it as old tech compared to the cool-looking hydroformed aluminum bikes that were becoming popular, so Specialized dropped it after one year. It is indeed a very nice frame. Between my wife and I we have three Rockhoppers, all of similar tubing (Specialized "Direct Drive Cro-Moly"), and those are superb frames.
You're welcome and yep, outsourced very early on with great oversight from Merz and DiNucci, who Sinyard the tyrant sent to Japan to get them inline with his vision.

They did, he got rich and we have an untold number of fantastic frames that were very reasonable for the day that will be around for literally forever for the great work that was done.

I'm no real fan of the tyrant but the work he had done by so many amazing talented people carries the whole thing very far afield then and now to our benefit.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-09-23, 04:51 PM
Kontact

As stated above, those bosses are likely brifter cable guide specific, even if not, as I stated, Big S went very far down the rabbit hole with design and consideration in all they did and yes, maybe not a lot goes into these but between Merz, DiNucci and so many other amazing designers they ingrained a lot of this sort of thing into all they do.

I would think a frame where brifters are used and many will spend more time on the hoods and less in the drops would be a consideration knowing how they did things.

They are one of the few companies that truly get after it like that, that far back.

Really just my 2c so......
Those are standard Shimano cable guides that only mount to Campy style shift lever bosses, that happen to be located in the identical spot to where DT shifters would normally go. The geometry otherwise is normal for road bikes going back to the late 70s. So I don't think there was a magic design element for brifters on this mid/entry level road bike.
Old 10-09-23, 05:01 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Kontact
Those are standard Shimano cable guides that only mount to Campy style shift lever bosses, that happen to be located in the identical spot to where DT shifters would normally go. The geometry otherwise is normal for road bikes going back to the late 70s. So I don't think there was a magic design element for brifters on this mid/entry level road bike.
Ok, well again, like I said, just my 2c, guess I don't know any better than you do.

That being said, this one is a fantastic specimen, color, condition and would be willing to bet it rides stellar, especially with the brifters.
Old 10-09-23, 07:06 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 303 Posts
Love that color. Enjoy the build and please let me know when you’re ready to offload that stem!
Likes For plonz:
Old 10-11-23, 10:04 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1301 Post(s)
Quoted: 4691 Post(s)
Liked 5,838 Times in 2,297 Posts
Naturally I always prefer a lugged frame, but I have to say the TIG welding on this is the best I've seen. (Gotta love those robots!)
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that frame was TIG welded by a human in 1997.
Old 10-11-23, 11:05 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by gugie
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that frame was TIG welded by a human in 1997.
If so, they did a really nice job. The "blobs" are amazingly uniform and neat.
Old 10-11-23, 11:14 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1301 Post(s)
Quoted: 4691 Post(s)
Liked 5,838 Times in 2,297 Posts
If so, they did a really nice job. The "blobs" are amazingly uniform and neat.
I'm a retired mechanical engineer, and have known some very skilled welders. Interestingly enough, some of the best weld jobs I've seen are on production frames. Custom builders make at most a few dozen frames/year, whereas a guy working in a factory does dozens a day. Practice makes perfect.
Old 10-16-23, 12:02 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by gugie
You are not wrong. I didn't notice this until I went through the pictures I took. "Handmade in Taiwan".

Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-16-23, 02:02 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 661 Posts
You are not wrong. I didn't notice this until I went through the pictures I took. "Handmade in Taiwan".

on a side note some of their allez pro and allez comp frames were handmade in japan with tange prestige tubing. Even during years 1997-1998, Specialized used Ritchey Nitanium tubing which was a modified Tange tubing made to Ritchey specs on their high end MTBs.
Likes For georges1:
Old 10-17-23, 06:12 AM
Jeff Neese

These are the shifter bosses, currently holding the Shimano bolt-on cable stops. It's the common type with a 12x12mm square platform. The Dia Compe ENE friction shifters that I just happen to have on hand fit perfectly. If I want to go to Shimano indexed shifters the SL-A410 would probably be the most "correct" ones since they are also RSX.

I'm rethinking the idea that I have to replace the brifters. Most of my experience has been short-term, and were on low-end aluminum rental bikes, so the overall experience wasn't going to be great to begin with. Maybe I'll refurb these and see how I like them on a good bike, and where I can dial in the fit.

Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-17-23, 08:29 PM
merziac

These are the shifter bosses, currently holding the Shimano bolt-on cable stops. It's the common type with a 12x12mm square platform. The Dia Compe ENE friction shifters that I just happen to have on hand fit perfectly. If I want to go to Shimano indexed shifters the SL-A410 would probably be the most "correct" ones since they are also RSX.

I'm rethinking the idea that I have to replace the brifters. Most of my experience has been short-term, and were on low-end aluminum rental bikes, so the overall experience wasn't going to be great to begin with. Maybe I'll refurb these and see how I like them on a good bike, and where I can dial in the fit.
Like I said.....
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-18-23, 06:20 AM
Jeff Neese

Like I said.....
Yes, I may follow your advice to give the brifters a chance. I still think I will end up not liking them though. Besides, I've seen a YouTube video of a guy doing a complete disassembly and rebuild of these. Something that complex shouldn't even be on a bicycle, let alone for something as mission-critical as braking and shifting. No way I would tour with them. At least these are all metal, no plastic parts.
Old 10-18-23, 01:12 PM
merziac

Yes, I may follow your advice to give the brifters a chance. I still think I will end up not liking them though. Besides, I've seen a YouTube video of a guy doing a complete disassembly and rebuild of these. Something that complex shouldn't even be on a bicycle, let alone for something as mission-critical as braking and shifting. No way I would tour with them. At least these are all metal, no plastic parts.
They are far more robust than they should be IMO and I have never had any that didn't recover with a soak and flush with Tri-flow or WD-40.

The braking side of them is never effected by the gumming up as far as I can tell so that is not an issue.

They are not the be all end all and I just retro fitted my main vintage daily driver back to analog for Eroica, it is going to stay that way for the time being as it is as good like this as it was with the brifters.

This however is fantastic with the 11 speed, brifters and all.

Last edited by merziac; 10-18-23 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-18-23, 10:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11031 Post(s)
Liked 7,578 Times in 4,226 Posts
The misinformation, guessing, and surprise that downtube shifter bosses have provided people in this thread is bonkers.
They are just downtube shifter bosses on a mid 90s mid level frame. They are about as universal as it got.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-18-23, 11:29 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The misinformation, guessing, and surprise that downtube shifter bosses have provided people in this thread is bonkers.
They are just downtube shifter bosses on a mid 90s mid level frame. They are about as universal as it got.
Yep, we resemble that remark and your surprise is surprising as well.
Old 10-18-23, 11:44 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Yeah, downtube friction/indexed shifters if you must, but do not hate on 7-speed RSX without giving them a fair go. They are as good as any brifters I have used. Okay, that's only four different examples, but still.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 10-19-23, 04:14 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Yeah, downtube friction/indexed shifters if you must, but do not hate on 7-speed RSX without giving them a fair go. They are as good as any brifters I have used. Okay, that's only four different examples, but still.
I don't think anyone is "hating" on them. These RSX seem to have a good reputation except for their tendency to become gunked-up, which is easily solved. The ones on this bike were inoperative too when I got it, but work fine now. I would expect that an annual flush and relube with Triflow would keep them working well.

I expressed that I simply don't like brifters of any variety, but that's not hate, just personal preference. I'd rather have bar-end or downtube shifters, and brake levers of my choosing. But as I also said, since I already have these and they work, I may put them back on the bike and try them for a season. Easy enough to change later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.