Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

State Bicycle Co

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 09:55 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
State Bicycle Co

Anyone have any actual experience with them, good or bad? Are the bikes worth it?
Old 05-12-12, 10:22 PM
IvyCap
Wear One

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a couple guys in my area that ride them. One of the local bike shop owners said they started out incredibly bad as a company but as of now are somewhat decent, but still haven't recovered from negativity brought by the majority of bad reviews.
Old 05-12-12, 10:32 PM
3CDesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi-Tensile Steals your $$$.
Kilo TT
Old 05-13-12, 12:46 AM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3C, State frames & forks are 4130. Anyway, they have 3 types of bikes and name them by color theme. I guess that makes them designer bikes ? Republic does similar and has a hi-ten and chromoly version with color themes and even personal choice of selecting your own color theme.
Old 05-13-12, 07:41 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
The State Contender actually seems like a decent bike - but I've never seen one in person.
Old 05-13-12, 11:01 AM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the input everyone. much appreciated.
Old 05-13-12, 02:24 PM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The contender is really good, the other road-oriented bikes are good-enough for beating around, although some are pretty gaudy. The FGFS Bikes are badass for the pricepoint.
Old 04-26-24, 09:08 PM
kapelusprime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All road Black label

I bought an all-road Black label 2 years ago and honestly I've got no negative comments other than the Apex. Derailleur was fair at first, but I upgraded it to a GX + changed out the shifter to a force... I bought mine with the carbon fiber monster fork, I weigh about 250 lb at 6'2 It's the largest frame they make at 59 in. The mechanical brakes are showing their age even with an upgraded set of brake pads. Really all easy fixes, for the price. I've put a lot of miles on it in the last 2 years. It really is a solid platform
Old 04-27-24, 10:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,061 Times in 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by kapelusprime
I bought an all-road Black label 2 years ago and honestly I've got no negative comments other than the Apex. Derailleur was fair at first, but I upgraded it to a GX + changed out the shifter to a force... I bought mine with the carbon fiber monster fork, I weigh about 250 lb at 6'2 It's the largest frame they make at 59 in. The mechanical brakes are showing their age even with an upgraded set of brake pads. Really all easy fixes, for the price. I've put a lot of miles on it in the last 2 years. It really is a solid platform
Just FYI this is a thread that has been dormant since 2012 and it is also in the Singlespeed & Fixed Gear sub-forum. Welcome to the forums but note if you are posting look for currently active threads or create a new thread if you have a question or something to discuss or have exciting news related to bicycles.
Old 04-28-24, 02:30 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 874 Posts
Fixed gear attitudes don't change much over the years but Scrod is gone and STATE has hung around long enough to have some fix cred cause fixed is sposed to be cheap and reliable and the guys who bought STATE pretty much were guys that were dedicated to the the fading hipster moment so ride on
Old 04-28-24, 04:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,061 Times in 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
Fixed gear attitudes don't change much over the years but Scrod is gone and STATE has hung around long enough to have some fix cred cause fixed is sposed to be cheap and reliable and the guys who bought STATE pretty much were guys that were dedicated to the the fading hipster moment so ride on
Scrodzilla is gone purely from here for other reasons though his business, Retrogression, is still running just fine and still pretty much only selling fixed gear and single speed stuff (he and his crew also sell some other odd less cycling related items but the core is FG/SS)
Not a fair comparison.

State does some interesting "collabs". I do love Wu-Tang Clan, Black Sabbath and Bob Marley not that I would actually buy any of those things but it is kinda neat in a way but also a kind of a sell out thing as well.