Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another pesky chain length thread...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-24, 08:33 PM
AndreyT

Liked 75 Times in 47 Posts

On my bicycle I have a compact in front and 11-speed 11-28 in the rear. The RD is SRAM Force 22 WiFLi.

The chain was sized using the classic big-big method on 28. Since a non-joinable pair of rivets aligned to each other, I had to add one link and then add two links on top of that. I ended up removing 2 links from a standard SRAM 114 link chain. The result worked fine with 11-28.

Now I need to temporarily install a 11-32 cassette. I assumed that I'll probably have to install a longer chain as well (i.e. use all 114 links). But it turns out that the chain I used with 11-28 is also capable of switching to 32. This is what 112 links look like in big-big configuration with 11-32:

I had to adjust the B-screw a bit, and it shifts fine.

Do you think it looks long enough? Or should I opt for all 114 links instead?

Last edited by AndreyT; 09-17-24 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-17-24, 08:38 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,844 Times in 1,182 Posts
I would just get another chain sized for the temporary cogs. Then every time I changed out the cogs I would have a proper sized chain for it.
Old 09-17-24, 08:47 PM
AndreyT

Originally Posted by zandoval
I would just get another chain sized for the temporary cogs. Then every time I changed out the cogs I would have a proper sized chain for it.
That was my plan all along. But there are two "buts":

1. It appears to me that the current chain is already properly sized. Maybe just a little tight-ish... It is not a big surprise, considering that I had to add an extra link when sizing for 28T cassette.

2. When the bike was brand new, it came with 10-speed SRAM Apex group: 50/34 in the front and something-32 in the rear. And I seem to recall that the original chain length was also two-links shorter than a full 114-link SRAM chain. I.e. back then, with the original 32T cassette, when I replaced the chain by matching the new one to the old one, I also had to take 2 links off the new chain.

Last edited by AndreyT; 09-17-24 at 08:56 PM.
Likes For AndreyT:
Old 09-17-24, 08:55 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Liked 704 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
That was my plan all along. But there are two "buts":

1. It appears to me that the current chain is already propely sized.
2. When the bike was brand new, it came with 10-speed SRAM Apex group: 50/34 in the front and something-32 in the rear. And I seem to recall that the original chain length was also two-links shorter than a full 114-link SRAM chain. I.e. back then, with the original group and the original cassette, when I replaced the chain by matching the new one to the old one, I also had to take 2 links off the new chain.
I did the same thing on my Fuji, putting a 11/32 in place of a 11/28--the same length chain is used. If you add a couple of links it will be really sloppy on the other extreme and possibly snag itself repeatedly if not keep flipping off. Don't mess with it anymore You got it right.
Old 09-17-24, 09:44 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF, Specialized Sirrus Gravel convert '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 1,124 Times in 802 Posts
you can always avoid going big/big, and you'll be fine.... unless you go mud riding during the winter in grassy areas of farms or parks with glory in your sights... then it's a bit too tight. (CycloCross Season is here!)

how does it look in Small/Small? could you post a pic of that combo?
Likes For maddog34:
Old 09-17-24, 10:14 PM
AndreyT

Originally Posted by maddog34
how does it look in Small/Small? could you post a pic of that combo?
The rear end in small-small

Old 09-18-24, 08:20 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,483 Times in 1,912 Posts
I operate by a simple rule.

I run the longest chain that works well. Since there's minimal difference in smallest sprocket sizes the longest chain will always work, and allows more freedom at the other end.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-18-24, 08:28 AM
Kontact

Liked 2,262 Times in 1,456 Posts
Run the chain as is. Next time, use small small.

Since the chain only touches half a cassette cog, the difference between 28 and 32 is actually just 2, which is why the old chain is close enough.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-18-24, 10:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,404 Times in 3,729 Posts
If your RD has a little more forward movement to it then I'd say you are good. Likewise on the small/smalls, it should not go slack or be so slack that it doesn't shift well or becomes prone to chain drops.

Chain length isn't any one exact number number of links. It's just a range of link count that will work well through all the gear combinations till you get to the point were it doesn't work well.
Old 09-18-24, 10:45 AM
grumpus

Liked 703 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Do you think it looks long enough? Or should I opt for all 114 links instead?
Plenty good enough; it's assumed you'll only accidentally use big/big anyway, and clearly it's possible to do it without breaking anything.
Old 09-18-24, 01:17 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,413 Times in 964 Posts
A quick method to see if you have enough slack IN SITU.
BIG:BIG

Old 09-18-24, 01:36 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF, Specialized Sirrus Gravel convert '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 1,124 Times in 802 Posts
ok... now, just for kicks and giggles.. add an inner link and another Quick link... then check small/small again.

less chain tension equals a quieter, less wear-prone, easier-to-pedal drivetrain.