Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 08:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... I can do double shifts (F+R) with one hand with DT shifters. This is important to me when I am riding on something set up with half step gearing.
Any shifting with down tube shifters effectively requires two hands, since your other hand must remain on the bars while you shift. In contrast, you can make a true one-handed single shift with modern shifters, since your other hand doesn't need to remain on the bars. For example, you could shift with your right hand while reaching for a gel with your left hand. You can't really do that with down tube shifters. And, as pointed out below, double shifts with modern shifters can be done easily while keeping both hands on the bars.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-05-24 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 08:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...my hands wander all over the bar. I move them a lot. And I can do double shifts (F+R) with one hand with DT shifters. This is important to me when I am riding on something set up with half step gearing. But what is important to me is less important to you. I think that was my original point.
Okay. I’m still a little puzzled why letting go of the bars to shift DT levers is preferable to moving to a hood to shift an STI. I get why you would learn to do simultaneous shifts with one hand. I do simultaneous shifts pretty regularly. I just use two hands, and they stay in contact with my bars. I’m not telling you how you should do things. I’m just trying to understand why someone prefers to do things differently.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-06-24 at 12:00 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-05-24, 08:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Shifting through the down tube may sound simple, but one can't help but imagine contorted hand gymnastics reminiscent of a bicycle-based Rubik's Cube. The elegance of simplicity might be debatable in this case.
It is actually quite easy to do double shifts with down tube shifters.

I simply keep my dominant (left) hand on the handlebar and configure my hand through the top tube to touch each lever appropriately then move the fingers accordingly. Really, it's not a big deal. The front is essentially binary for all it matters in this context and the rear only needs to move 2-3 cogs in the opposite direction. If you have ever rode your bike one handed, you can do it. It's not quite as easy as eating gummy-bears from a top tube gastank bag but is easier than reaching for a water bottle

I use the Ene Ciclo 2x11 and TRP Hy/RD hydraulic disc, fwiw.

Last edited by base2; 02-05-24 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 09:06 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by base2
It is actually quite easy to do double shifts with down tube shifters.
With enough practice, almost anything is easy. But, double shifts using down tube shifters is definitely more difficult and takes a lot more practice than using modern shifters.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-05-24, 09:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Only reason I would go back to friction would be…. shoot, I’m coming up empty here.

Maybe if I were spending a long time cycling through a remote part of the world? But
i’ve got no plans to do that.
Just for fun and a change of pace on a classic/vintage bike? It is fun - for me anyway.

Same reason some people like manual shifting in a classic - outdated, obsolete, weird - car. And those people can still enjoy and appreciate a modern automatic transmission, on a modern comfortable car as well as whatever modern bike technology brings our way.

As a marginally related example -ratcheting up the discussion from friction/indexed to mechanical/electronic: my wife and I have - and really enjoy - electronic shifting bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. But when it comes to extensive travel away from home with our RV, often in rural areas (read sparse and basic bike shops), cable shifting and brakes is better because of the more likely ability to find and replace every single part at least with something that will work. I doubt if I could even get an AXS battery locally in most of the places we travel.

So simplicity has a place sometimes. I said it was a marginally related example.
Old 02-05-24, 09:18 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Camilo
As a marginally related example -ratcheting up the discussion from friction/indexed to mechanical/electronic: my wife and I have - and really enjoy - electronic shifting bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. But when it comes to extensive travel away from home with our RV, often in rural areas (read sparse and basic bike shops), cable shifting and brakes is better because of the more likely ability to find and replace every single part at least with something that will work. I doubt if I could even get an AXS battery locally in most of the places we travel.
FedEx will deliver a battery to you almost anywhere.
Old 02-05-24, 10:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
FedEx will deliver a battery to you almost anywhere.
I guess you've never traveled extensively for several months at a time, in very rural areas with little pre-planning.
Old 02-05-24, 10:18 PM
tomato coupe

I guess you've never traveled extensively for several months at a time, in very rural areas with little pre-planning.
FedEx delivers to rural areas.
Old 02-05-24, 10:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Anyone who has electronic shifters and wants to tour, and isn't equipped with the foresight to bring many spare batteries .... probably will end up calling a cab anyway. If one cannot plan for something like obviously important spares, then flat tires or broken spokes or whatever, would likely end the trip ... or maybe lack of water and food?

Trying to "prove" that friction shifting is "better" than STIs and better than electronic STIs ... is simple to solve. Define "better" however suits you.

People tour and have been touring--and every other kind of riding---for a long time. The idea that the bicycling world is about to grind to a halt because not enough people respect friction shifters is garbage. I am sure there are people who grew up riding lever-shifters who claim that friction shifters won't last because no one can find cables.
Old 02-06-24, 07:08 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
With enough practice, almost anything is easy. But, double shifts using down tube shifters is definitely more difficult and takes a lot more practice than using modern shifters.
"Enough practice?" Like taking a minute to think through and understand the shifting process, straddling a bicycle and giving it a try. Yeah. Super complicated.

Totally the realm of savants and masters.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-06-24, 07:57 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
"Enough practice?" Like taking a minute to think through and understand the shifting process, straddling a bicycle and giving it a try. Yeah. Super complicated.

Totally the realm of savants and masters.
Learning to friction shift well is sort of like learning to drive a stick shift car. When you explain how to do it to someone used to an automatic, it sounds incredible complicated. When you learn how, you don't even think about it anymore.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 02-06-24, 08:49 AM
tomato coupe

No, it’s not complicated. But it does take some practice to reliably hit both intended gears without undershoot or overshoot.
Old 02-06-24, 08:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
No, it’s not complicated. But it does take some practice to reliably hit both intended gears without undershoot or overshoot.
IME, absolutely true. Being uncomplicated does not mean immediate precision. Shifting my 12 speed cassette with the bar end in friction took a bit of operational experience to get the lever travel correct. Now, I rarely miss a shift totally, occasionally have to tweak it it just a touch. I like it better than shifting fewer gears, it’s less travel.
Old 02-06-24, 09:00 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Learning to friction shift well is sort of like learning to drive a stick shift car. When you explain how to do it to someone used to an automatic, it sounds incredible complicated. When you learn how, you don't even think about it anymore.
In other words, you don’t even think about it … once you’ve had some practice.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-06-24, 09:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Just for fun and a change of pace on a classic/vintage bike?
Nope. I've got zero interest in that.

Same reason some people like manual shifting in a classic - outdated, obsolete, weird - car.
I don't think a auto-vs-manual is a good analogy for indexed-vs-friction. Manuals are actually fun, IMO. A better analogy would be a manual with synchronized vs unsynchronized gears. I've got no reason whatsoever to chose the latter. Sure, I'd deal with it to drive around some cool old car, but driving old cars is way more interesting to me than riding old bikes.

And if I did have some cool vintage bike I really liked, I would swap the drivetrain to an indexed one.
Old 02-06-24, 09:25 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Late to the game here, but IMO (for me, MTB rider) indexed shifting is one of the two best developments (with suspension), since I started riding about 40 years ago. I'd need to think for a while which is more important.
Old 02-06-24, 09:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Is this thread a time warp to the early 80s when new-fangled indexed shifting became a thing? It must be over 40 years since I owned a bike with friction shifters and I'm not missing them even a little bit.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-24, 09:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
With DT shifters at least I don’t need to worry about cable fraying. And they’re lighter.
I've frayed and broken shift cables on DT shifters but I did find DA cables were more durable, back then, anyway. I broke a rear shift cable on a bar end friction shifter while on tour in Kentucky.
Fortunately I had the foresight to pack an extra cable with me but it was a universal type which had different size ferrules on the ends so I had to cut one off. The only tool I had for cutting was a fingernail clipper and I managed to hack through the cable and got shifting again.
Old 02-06-24, 09:49 AM
big john

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Is this thread a time warp to the early 80s when new-fangled indexed shifting became a thing? It must be over 40 years since I owned a bike with friction shifters and I'm not missing them even a little bit.
Maybe because it's winter?
Likes For big john:
Old 02-06-24, 09:56 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by big john
Maybe because it's winter?
It’s always winter on this forum.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-06-24, 09:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The only tool I had for cutting was a fingernail clipper and I managed to hack through the cable and got shifting again.
That's "making do" for sure!
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-06-24, 10:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
In before the lock. The letters don't work with the censors. That's all I got.
Old 02-06-24, 10:22 AM
big john

Originally Posted by smd4
That's "making do" for sure!
MacGyver strikes again.
Old 02-06-24, 10:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Among the things I don't miss about my 20 years using downtube friction shifters - no more wearing a bare patch through the paint with my thumbnail. You see that same bare spot on many C&V bikes that got a lot of use.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-06-24, 10:38 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Among the things I don't miss about my 20 years using downtube friction shifters - no more wearing a bare patch through the paint with my thumbnail. You see that same bare spot on many C&V bikes that got a lot of use.
I like how that nicely arose from the nail clipper anecdote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.