Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety > Vehicular Cycling (VC)
Reload this Page >

Who is responsible for your safety?

Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.
View Poll Results: Do you take total responsibility for your safety when cycling in traffic?
Yes, I accept full responsibility for my safety.
35.16%
No, I accept the brunt of the responsibilty, but motorists are responsible for my safety too.
56.04%
No, motorists are more responsible for my safety than I am.
1.10%
Other
7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Who is responsible for your safety?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 09:04 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedo
Oh, and corrective action number three. I no longer agree that there is too much whining and complaining and blaming of motorists.
In terms of your safety, what impact will whining and complaining and blaming of motorists have? If none, why is it a corrective action that you suddenly feel so strongly about?
Old 03-14-07, 09:07 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Well, I probably should have said:

They are irresponsible. They are IRresponsible. They are NOT (acting) responsible for their actions.

In any case, what does this have to do with Vehicular Cycling?

Are you saying that this poll about responsibility is really about vehicular cycling?

Some friendly advice...I'd just let this thread die, because the more you say the more it goes badly for you. You've been pwn3d by so many people we may have to designate you as community property.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-14-07, 09:08 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
Absurd conclusions. If they drove responsibly and safely, they indeed, would not be threats to our safety. Of course they are not responsible for our safety like a nursemaid, however, they are responsible for driving safely. And that has both direct and indirect implications upon not just cyclist's safety, but everyone else. Despite your protestations to the contrary.
Semantics. I was using "responsible" in a difference sense, as in:
capable of being trusted : a responsible adult.
I was not using it in the sense of:
having an obligation to do something, or having control over or care for someone, as part of one's job or role : the department responsible for education.
They are responsible (in the 2nd sense above), but they are also IRresponsible, and so not responsible (in the first sense). That's what I meant, but it's obviously confusing. I've updated the original post accordingly.
Old 03-14-07, 09:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Semantics. I was using "responsible" in a difference sense,
Dang pesky English language. Who wudda thunk anybody would think HH meant what HH wrote?
Old 03-14-07, 09:18 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Perhaps what HH really meant... but did not have the reading or writing skills to succinctly express, is:

Motorists ARE indeed responsible for their actions, but may chose to not drive responsibly, therefore cyclists should act accordingly.
Old 03-14-07, 09:23 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Semantics. I was using "responsible" in a difference sense, as in:
I was not using it in the sense of:
having an obligation to do something, or having control over or care for someone, as part of one's job or role : the department responsible for education.
They are responsible (in the 2nd sense above), but they are also IRresponsible, and so not responsible (in the first sense). That's what I meant, but it's obviously confusing. I've updated the original post accordingly.

And I'm the one playing semantics?
Old 03-14-07, 09:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Perhaps what HH really meant... but did not have the reading or writing skills to succinctly express, is:

Motorists ARE indeed responsible for their actions, but may chose to not drive responsibly, therefore cyclists should act accordingly.
But if HH wrote that as an OP there would be nothing to learn/teach/debate.

Instead we got another HH Brand Poll with HH Brand interpretations of the English language, HH Brand interpretations of someone else's book AND 320 (and counting) posts and replys. Do the math.
Old 03-14-07, 09:40 AM
I_Bike

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Announcement:

WOW - this forum is so much fun for me. It's like the gift that keeps on giving...

Please continue.
Old 03-14-07, 09:45 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps what HH really meant... but did not have the reading or writing skills to succinctly express,
Are you holding me responsible for the fact that the word "responsible" has multiple meanings in English?

is:

Of course that's what I meant. Thanks for making the effort to understand what I meant, and not playing semantics by insisting on using a meaning of "responsible" that I obviously did not intend.
Old 03-14-07, 09:50 AM
Scout!
a critical mass of one

Bikes: marin eldridge grade with xtracycle freeradical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you holding me responsible for the fact that the word "responsible" has multiple meanings in English?
It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

----
Old 03-14-07, 10:07 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hubris. That's what it is hubris. I've had an amazingly long run without a near miss of any kind, so i guess I was getting cocky.

It took the cycling gods less than twenty four hours to come down on me for that. This morning on my way to work, the closest close call I've ever had.
A right hook from a small purple sedan driven by a guy who looked and sounded like Woody Allen.

My first thought was not to wonder what I had done wrong. My first thought was to catch the guy and remove his lungs from
his chest cavity. When I did catch up to him, I had calmed down enough so that all he got was an adrenelin-fired tongue lashing.

For the rest of the ride, I did have the chance to reflect on the "where did I go wrong?" question. It was apparent from
what he kept trying to say as I screamed at him, that he "was just trying to get around" me. So he saw me, but misjudged. It's
a busy road I failed to pick out the sound of his approach from the other traffic. I don't use a mirror. So I think corrective
action number one is:

Get a mirror.

This particular road is used as a two lanes each way road, but it is not legally wide enough for a two lanes each way road.
It is not stripped for two lanes, and there is no fog line. I'm already part of a group advocating to have the road either widened
or properly stripped. Anyway, given my natural tendencies I ride about three feet out from the end of the usable pavement.
On this road, I should be at least another two feet out. If I had been further out then the right hooker might not have been
tempted to try and get around me. So, corrective action number two.

Ride further out from the edge of the pavement.

Oh, and corrective action number three. I no longer agree that there is too much whining and complaining and blaming of motorists.

Speedo
More important than a mirror, I think, is to develop the habit to always, without exception (which is easy to accomplish once you have developed the habit), look back over your shoulder at any approach to any intersection, even if you're going straight. It might seem silly at first, but it's an awesome habit to have. It automatically enhances your situational awareness to include the situation as it is developing behind you, and to give you a head's up with respect to whether you might have to make some kind of adjustment and/or specific effort to clarify your intent to an approaching driver.

Yes, he probably misjudged your speed and/or his speed, and that's probably because he was doing it subconcsciously, on autopilot. As wacky as it sounds, it's amazing how a simple look back over your shoulder can be effective in terms of snapping a driver out of whatever zone he is in, and back to reality. You can hear it immediately, as the pitch of the tire noise their car is making suddenly drops when they start slowing as soon as you turn your head. And if you can't hear it due to ambient noise, you can see it, as well as their usual adjustment left.

But the main thing is that the look back let's you know there is a potential conflict, and give syou the opportunity to deal with it.
Old 03-14-07, 10:10 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scout!

----
You're right. I should have known better. My bad. I can't take it back. I've clarified the intended meaning in the original post, I've responded to most of those who seemed to (understandably) interpret it differently from what I intended.

What do you want from me?

Here is the original post, with updates:

My point is that these folks are NOT predictable, and ARE responsible for their actions, which they voluntarily undertake.
They are NOT responsible for their actions (it would be less aggravating if they were). If they were responsible, they would not be threats to your safety.

Repeat after me: They are not responsible. They are NOT responsible. They are NOT responsible for their actions.

And they are most certainly not responsible for your safety.

Stop expecting them to be.

"The successful urban cyclist counts on nothing but chaos and stupidity." -Robert Hurst

Edit: The word "responsible" has multiple meanings in the English language. The meaning I intended above is:
Obviously, if one interprets my point using the meaning of "responsible" to be "having an obligation to do something", then my point becomes nonsense, and you could play silly semantics games all day.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 03-14-07 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 10:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Of course that's what I meant. Thanks for making the effort to understand what I meant, and not playing semantics by insisting on using a meaning of "responsible" that I obviously did not intend.
Gee, I managed it fine... using the forms "responsible," and "responsibility." And I did it in one short sentence.

responsible
Main Entry: re·spon·si·ble
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈspän(t)-sə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Anglo-French responsable, from respuns
Date: 1643
1 a: liable to be called on to answer b (1): liable to be called to account as the primary cause, motive, or agent <a committee responsible for the job> (2): being the cause or explanation <mechanical defects were responsible for the accident> c: liable to legal review or in case of fault to penalties
2 a: able to answer for one's conduct and obligations : trustworthy b: able to choose for oneself between right and wrong
responsibility
Main Entry: re·spon·si·bil·i·ty
Pronunciation: \ri-ˌspän(t)-sə-ˈbi-lə-tē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Date: 1771
1: the quality or state of being responsible: as a: moral, legal, or mental accountability b: reliability, trustworthiness
2: something for which one is responsible : burden <has neglected his responsibilities>
Perhaps it is you that has "a reading comprehension problem... " may I suggest a good dictionary.
Old 03-14-07, 11:43 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Bike
Announcement:

WOW - this forum is so much fun for me. It's like the gift that keeps on giving...

Please continue.
We'd just hate to see you bored and forced to do actual fun things.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-14-07, 11:45 AM
I_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
We'd just hate to see you bored and forced to do actual fun things.

What, like ban people?
Old 03-14-07, 11:47 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Perhaps it is you that has "a reading comprehension problem... " may I suggest a good dictionary.
Try to give the guy some good advice...but nooooooo, he just keeps digging that hole deeper and deeper - I wonder what page we'll be on when he finally gets it deep enough that the Chinese members can chime in?
Old 03-14-07, 11:48 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first thought was not to wonder what I had done wrong. My first thought was to catch the guy and remove his lungs from his chest cavity.
Would it be safe to say that your first thought/reaction indicates that you were surprised by what happened, that you were counting on something other than chaos and stupidity?

"The successful urban cyclist counts on nothing but chaos and stupidity." --Robert Hurst

Just asking...

Seriously, I think a good measure of how much you have taken to heart Hurst's attitude of taking total responsibility for your safety is how you react to surprising/chaotic/stupid behavior of drivers.

I believe that you eventually got to the "where did I go wrong?" question indicates an excellent step in the direction of adopting the responsibility attitude that Hurst preaches.

By the way, a more theoretical explanation for why a cyclist, or any driver of a slow moving vehicle, should look look back at all intersection approaches is based on the reason for why looking back is ever required: to look for potential conflicts with overtaking traffic from behind.

If you're moving at the normal speed of traffic, and you're going straight, then there is unlikely to be any conflict with faster traffic from behind turning across your path (even then, glancing back is still a good habit to have). But if you're moving slowly, that is not the case. If you're slow moving, a reasonable path for faster traffic behind you that needs to turn right is to pass you and then turn right. Therefore, there is a potential conflict with from-behind traffic that is much more likely than it is for normal-speed traffic.

That's why, to meet your total responsibility for your safety, it's essential to develop the habit to look back at every intersection approach, even if you're not turning left, but just going straight, even if you're not planning on adjusting your lateral position (because you're already correctly positioned for your go-straight destination).

Last edited by Helmet Head; 03-14-07 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 11:50 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What, like ban people?
Oh my, a true sadist like me. Sorry Donna, I think I'm falling for this big lug!
Old 03-14-07, 11:55 AM
I_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Oh my, a true sadist like me. Sorry Donna, I think I'm falling for this big lug!

-
Old 03-14-07, 11:58 AM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What, like ban people?
Are nominations being accepted?
Old 03-14-07, 12:11 PM
I_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
Are nominations being accepted?
Volunteers only… you lookin’?
Old 03-14-07, 12:18 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for making the effort to understand what I meant, and not playing semantics by insisting on using a meaning of "responsible" that I obviously did not intend.
Gee, I managed it fine... using the forms "responsible," and "responsibility." And I did it in one short sentence.
Yes, you did. I acknowledged that, and thanked you for it.

I thank you and you give me grief for I don't even know what. What's up with that?

What do you think I did not comprehend? Are you saying using one valid meaning of a word instead of another valid meaning constitutes a "reading comprehension problem"?
Old 03-14-07, 01:15 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scout!

----
Wiser words have never been spoken on this forum.
Old 03-14-07, 01:23 PM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
In terms of your safety, what impact will whining and complaining and blaming of motorists have? If none, why is it a corrective action that you suddenly feel so strongly about?
I am loath to express any opinions right now. The cycling gods, having fired a warning shot across my bow this morning may decide to take further corrective action.

I'll venture this much, whining and complaining may not contribute much to my safety, but it was satisfying, and calming, to be able to whine and complain to people who, at the very least, understand why I felt shaken up.

Speedo

Last edited by Speedo; 03-15-07 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 01:27 PM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More important than a mirror, I think, is to develop the habit to always, without exception (which is easy to accomplish once you have developed the habit), look back over your shoulder at any approach to any intersection, even if you're going straight.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that as corrective action number 4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.