Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike facilities to encourage commuting... ideas?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike facilities to encourage commuting... ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 08:38 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shower facilities...give me a break....

Try slowing down on the ride in (it's NOT a training ride) and utilizing a little talcum powder when you get there. You could also leave some spare cloths at the office...
Old 03-14-07, 08:40 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Galen,
How slow does one need to ride with full intense sun at 7am and 95F so as not to sweat? I remember ~10yrs ago the low temp didn't drop below 100F one night.
Al
Old 03-14-07, 08:44 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to coast a lot....
Old 03-14-07, 08:44 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It gets hot here too with humidity above 95%....
Old 03-14-07, 08:50 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
It gets hot here too with humidity above 95%....
I've biked as slowly as I could tolerate for less than a mile on a flat road one very hot and humid day and still arrived too sweaty for my liking (I was going to get my haircut). Not that walking would have been any better, or just standing outside in those temps for that matter. Sometimes, you just get sweaty and there's nothing you can do about it. Start fresh, give yourself time to cool off and bring some soap and washcloth for a birdbath (that's how I cope). I would definitely feel cleaner if I could shower at work during the summer.
Old 03-14-07, 09:42 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Someday you might even get to wear a ChipcomMan outfit, including cape and tights, like me.
Oh dear god no...
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-14-07, 10:36 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Try slowing down on the ride in (it's NOT a training ride) and utilizing a little talcum powder when you get there. You could also leave some spare cloths at the office...
Try riding in a place that has 20% grades... and the approach to the office is up a 1 mile hill. Walking up such hills in 80 degree temps will make you sweat.

Water and resources can be saved by taking quick rinse off showers or "Navy showers;" this involves a quick wet down, shutting off the water, soaping up, then turning on the water and rinsing.
Old 03-14-07, 12:07 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Oh dear god no...
Oh come on, Brian, not even for the Pedalpalooza Kick-Off Ride/Parade?
Old 03-14-07, 12:14 PM
I_Bike

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to coast a lot....
I'd prefer you "Coast" a lot...

Old 03-14-07, 12:57 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
one more vote for showers and lockers. that would be useful to me.
+1

I have both, and if I didn't, I wouldn't bike commute.

(well, I don't have a locker, but I have a place to secure/store my bike -- my office -- which is the function of a bike locker)
Old 03-14-07, 12:59 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, I have a one mile long climb, plus other shorter climbs. My 20-30 minute commute would turn into 45-60 minutes if I tried not to sweat.
Old 03-14-07, 11:24 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'd rather have free doughnuts and a ride led by the mayor every month, versus showers so some of us can wet down after a once-a-week bicycle commute.

I ride every day for at least a half hour, in the clothes I work in, mostly, and don't shower even though one is available. i've been cycle commuting like that since the 1980's. ride, stop, cool down. some hot days I bring a change of shirt. cotton smells a lot less than synthetics, i think thats a mistake a lot of people make, wearing synthetics instead of wool and cotton for their commute.

When I'm doing a two hour hammer-time workout before work, i change clothes but don't shower. I find showers are so not necessary after a commute if you ride a lot, ironically.

SO, a ride led by the mayor every month and some free doughnuts, versus the fight so some 'riders' can shower a once, a couple of days a week.

Bike infrastructure, lots of places to lock up, signage and public service announcements. targeted enforcement to encourage lawful operation of motor vehicles.
Old 03-15-07, 01:28 PM
bigpedaler
Banned

Bikes: jamis dakar xlt 1.9, weyless sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
I try to avoid the showers because I just don't feel comfortable getting naked around coworkers. So I just try to ride slow enough to not get dripping with sweat and wear my street clothes. Fortunately it's almost always cold outside when I ride.

If it's hot or my clothes don't lend well to riding a bike, I'll bring my street clothes and try to hide my cycling clothes in my cube, hopefully I can get them to dry out. Wet cycling clothes at the end of the day suck.

I find I get smelly from stress more than from exercise. And I kill the germs under my arms with alcohol before I use deodrant to keep the bacteria down.

So for me, the showers are a wash (ha ha) but I do appreciate the big handicapped stall in the restroom for changing.

AT LAST, A VOICE OF REASON!

thank you for summing it up so well.

as far as the wet clothes at the end of the day -- they suck worse at the beginning of the day, but i deal w/ it when i have to.
Old 03-15-07, 01:31 PM
bigpedaler
Banned

Bikes: jamis dakar xlt 1.9, weyless sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Yea... well, for some of us, smelling nice and fresh is a job requirement. Myself, I don't need to be all that groomed, but I do need to look professional (I am an engineer). I am too green yet to get to be that person in the Hawaiian shirt and sandels and be respected for my engineering skills alone. I'm working on it though.
your employer is part of the problem.

{god forbid some sensitive nose be offended by another human body -- oh, no! we must have our people odor-free!}
Old 03-15-07, 03:36 PM
o-dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sauerwald
Bike lockers are nice, but if my city were to do two things that would make my life as a commuter easier it would be:

1) Strict enforcement of traffic laws. Wouldn't have to cost anything either as I'll bet any costs that they incur could be covered by the tickets that they write.

2) Better road maintenence: Clear the debris from the sides of the roads, fill potholes, make trafic light sensors sensitive enough to sense my bike etc.

Before you start trying to do something new, do what you are supposedly already doing!
+infinity

my town would be that much better for cycling if the public works department just got off their asses!
Old 03-15-07, 03:48 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
I try to avoid the showers because I just don't feel comfortable getting naked around coworkers. So I just try to ride slow enough to not get dripping with sweat and wear my street clothes. Fortunately it's almost always cold outside when I ride..
The showers I have at work are in individual compartments. The modest can and do manage to get to from shower stalls fully covered. Not like the high school gym mass showers.

The desire for showers obviously is partly dependent on where one lives and local climate.

They were essential for me when I had a weekly dr. appt. I rode to every Wed. at lunch in 115F weather. Not much time to ride slow and no way to stay sweat and red free after. The shower is as much to cool down body temp as to wash. In mid summer 95F morning after 5min cold shower, 15min changing and walking across park lot I am still beet red and mildly sweaty at desk. It takes me 90min to cool down after work at home in the summer without a shower. I don't think may appreciate what its like to ride for 9mi in 118F (shade temp) with full sun on pavement around hot cars - one can do it faster at 30min or slow at 60min. One may not survise 60min in this type of full sun while riding a bike slow. Thats going home of course, but is also what is needed for me to run errands during the day or go to the other office site which can happen last minute need.

Al
Old 11-15-07, 04:00 AM
lukeC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of these rants are absurd!

I just dont' see whats wrong with expecting to shower at work after riding.

For the last year I was living/working in Sydney Australia.
Cycling 10kms in the morning to work in the City - work in finance where you are required to wear a suit and shave and smell reasonably nice.

1. Ride so you don't work up a sweat?
-

in 30C heat at 7-8am in the summer trying to get to work in a reasonable time (10kms in <30mins) you WILL Sweat.

2. Waste of water?

I didn't shower at home before Cycling to work so i'm using the same amount of water.
Old 11-15-07, 06:33 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best facility I can thing of to increase bike commuting would be a mandatory car crusher. All cars drive to it, and are immediately crushed. Bike commuting would increase 1000-fold.

Seriously though, around here (northern Ky./Cincy) something as simple as more bike racks would help alot.
Old 11-15-07, 09:22 AM
BikEthan
JRA.

Bikes: '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh... Boston, I think tearing down the whole city and starting over might be a good start.

Filling pot holes. Putting the damn sewer grates back the right way. Ticketing bad drivers. Bike lanes that aren't in the door zone. Bike lanes at all. More bike racks. Some of the more inclusive facilities mentioned above sound awesome. Luckily my employer (and many others in the area) supply bike "cages" areas where bikes can be locked under cover and in a relatively secure area (employee ID card scanner to enter). There are a few bike paths in the area that allow easier commutes, some more planning and modifications could be done to make things much, much better.
Old 11-15-07, 11:00 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow. This thread is, like, 8 months old.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 11-15-07, 12:47 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
DART here in Dallas has a limited number of bike lockers at train stations.

To me, the #1 item is just having decent routes. I can get around in my neighborhood just fine. But to cross under a freeway requires that I be on one of the main roads with heavy traffic , which all have curbs and no shoulders. Bike lanes, shoulders, or bike routes seperate from roads would all be great. They don't have to be high dollar (contrary to what the City of Dallas seems to think), just a way to get from one point to another without getting run over.