Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety > Vehicular Cycling (VC)
Reload this Page >

Forester takes on BF Posters

Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

Forester takes on BF Posters

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 01:10 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ILTB, what did JF ever do to piss you off? What did he do to mess you up so much? What ever it was it must have been really awful. No one likes to have their cheerios tinkled in, but let it go dude. Life is much to short to habor hatred for another person.

we all know & get that you don't like him, his beliefs, his manner of cycling, etc, etc., etc. But enough is enough already. JF has his own style he is not going to change it.
skanking biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions---How does one's support of "segregated" bike facilities translate into "anti-motoring" emotional sophistry**********??--As the chainguard letter states

I really don't understand why you can't have both segregated facilities and lawful bicycle use in traffic at the same time. Why are these 2 ideas oppossed? How does advocating that people know the rules of the road when cycling in traffic result in opposition of all other types of cycling?

What am I missing here? I understand his point that cyclists are a minority and the reality is that we need to learn to operate in the world as it is---but how does that translate into oppossition of efforts to change that reality?
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
You think?

Look at that, we got him to respond. Who pwn3d who now? He replies to a public forum on his own private website??? WTF?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-14-07, 01:12 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
Uh where does it mention BF or it's memebrs?
At the bottom. He takes individual posts and replies to them, like we do here, but he does it on his own little private website.

Talking about an ivory tower.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-14-07, 01:12 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kalliergo
I'm getting really tired of this childish name-calling, DJ. I am, decidedly, not anyone's minion. If you knew me, as opposed to having simplistically categorized me, you would be in no doubt of that fact.

What is it with the adolescent gang mentality that prevails here? Did you people all beat up kids who "dressed funny" in junior high? Did you feel proud of yourselves when you did?
I did not use any names on purpose, and as I said to HH before if you are replying directly to this you must at least be suffering from a guilty conscience.

I am also not saying I will or would take legal action against Forester, but this is a FORUM! Meaning where we discuss things openly. If he wishes to engage the members then do so here, and don't hand pick quotes to attack and post them on a static web page. He may or not be cowardly, but his actions regarding this are.
Old 03-14-07, 01:14 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Look at that, we got him to respond. Who pwn3d who now? He replies to a public forum on his own private website??? WTF?
He must have felt threatened, otherwise he would have simply ignored us; that means we've got some traction. The private - rather than public - response is just cowardly.
Old 03-14-07, 01:16 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skanking biker
Questions---How does one's support of "segregated" bike facilities translate into "anti-motoring" emotional sophistry**********??--As the chainguard letter states

I really don't understand why you can't have both segregated facilities and lawful bicycle use in traffic at the same time. Why are these 2 ideas oppossed? How does advocating that people know the rules of the road when cycling in traffic result in opposition of all other types of cycling?

What am I missing here? I understand his point that cyclists are a minority and the reality is that we need to learn to operate in the world as it is---but how does that translate into oppossition of efforts to change that reality?
I think I'm w/ you.

I think it's more of the PEOPLE who repsesent these 2 ideas/ opinions(?) that create the opposition/ venom. Me right, you wrong --- it's almost as bad as politics & religion. But hopefully not as dangerous.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 03-14-07, 01:17 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a friggin website for crying out loud. That's "real private". Just because he quoted some of the more delusional posts and posters her on BF for rebuttal is no reason to get your panties in a wad if your delusion post was not rebutted. Better luck next time.

Get over yourselves.

Last edited by galen_52657; 03-14-07 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 01:22 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can be a lot of work to understand his writing sometimes.
If you don't do the work, it might seem like he's talking in circles.
But if you do the work, the objective analysis, usually you'll find he's on pretty solid ground.
But because so few are willing to do that work, it's easy to criticize what he's saying.
The work your doing is not objective analysis, it's rationalization.

It takes a lot of work rationalizing, to get to the place where you would believe that the page in the link is on "pretty solid ground".

If you ask me, it sounds like a wannabe scientist, jumping from one method to the next to defend his reputation from the unholy.

But then again, Helmet Head imagines he can draw "pretty solid" conclusions from unscientific polling and anecdotal "evidence", or imaginary hypothetical scenarios he has built up around dead cyclists. This is not personal/animosity motivated, that's just what I've seen.

"Pretty Solid Ground"
Originally Posted by Forester
I have never stated that any one lateral roadway position is proved by any study to be either safer or more dangerous than another. I haven't done so because no study contains the date from which this could be derived.
He finally makes sense in his last sentence "Batt's evaluation is the antic of an ideologue so smitten that he has lost the ability understand himself." I don't know much about Batt, so I decline to comment there, but I know that if I change the name to Forester, it seems to fit nicely with the link I read.
Old 03-14-07, 01:22 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
It's a friggin website for crying out loud. That's "real private". Just because he quoted some of the more delusional posts and posters her on BF for rebuttal is no reason to get your panties in a wad of your delusion post was not rebutted. Better luck next time.

Get over yourselves.
By way of "private" I mean, the content is controlled only by him.

Are you okay? You seem to be having mood swings as of late.
Old 03-14-07, 01:25 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeytoun
The work your doing is not objective analysis, it's rationalization.
Huh?, I never claimed I did the work for this particular piece. In fact, I've only skimmed it.

It takes a lot of work rationalizing, to get to the place where you would believe that the page in the link is on "pretty solid ground".
Perhaps in this case. I don't know, since I haven't taken the time to do the work objective analysis requires. I was talking about his writing in general, not this particular piece.
Old 03-14-07, 01:25 PM
kalliergo 

Bikes: Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones
I did not use any names on purpose, and as I said to HH before if you are replying directly to this you must at least be suffering from a guilty conscience.
DJ, you characterized unspecified members here. whom you apparently believed to be representing John, as "minions." That's name-calling. It's childish, annoying and unproductive.

Originally Posted by deputyjones
I am also not saying I will or would take legal action against Forester, but this is a FORUM! Meaning where we discuss things openly. If he wishes to engage the members then do so here, and don't hand pick quotes to attack and post them on a static web page. He may or not be cowardly, but his actions regarding this are.
I'm not sure why you think people who, along with their bodies of work, are attacked here have some obligation to respond only here, or here at all. On the contrary, they may choose to respond or not, and may also choose the time, place and manner of any response(s).

I can't speak for Forester (whatever some may imagine), but I suspect that he is unwilling to subject himself to the viciousness and defiant ignorance that characterizes this forum. One can hardly blame him.
Old 03-14-07, 01:26 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i vc!
i live on the east coast where bicycle inclusion is cramped, or non existant in road planning from what i recently saw on the west coast.
i support and practice following set traffic laws, carry a printout of the state and town specific bicycle laws.
i mainly ride a road bike on the road and believe in forester concepts his responses appeared well thought out and fosused (alittle wordy).
Old 03-14-07, 01:28 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Pretty Solid Ground"
Originally Posted by Forester
I have never stated that any one lateral roadway position is proved by any study to be either safer or more dangerous than another. I haven't done so because no study contains the date from which this could be derived.
What's your point?

He apparently thinks he was accused of stating that one lateral roadway position is proved by study to be either safer or more dangerous than another.

He denies ever stating that, and explains why.

What's the problem?
Old 03-14-07, 01:28 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Are you okay? You seem to be having mood swings as of late.
I know it's hard for you not to stoop to pandering. But at least you could make the effort. If you ever want to make a comment of a personal nature to my face, man to man, please be my guest.
Old 03-14-07, 01:30 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Minion - 1. One who is esteemed or favored. 2. a. An obsequious follower or dependent. b. A subordinate official.

The only judgement that this word constitutes name calling is coming from you, Kal.
Old 03-14-07, 01:35 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kalliergo is a Forester minion! kalliergo is a Forester minion!

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 03-14-07, 01:36 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never claimed I did the work for this particular piece. In fact, I've only skimmed it.
The poster you responded to was speaking about this particular piece.

What's your point?

He apparently thinks he was accused of stating that one lateral roadway position is proved by study to be either safer or more dangerous than another.

He denies ever stating that, and explains why.

What's the problem?

But then notice this paragraph from the link:
This writer has obviously read the reports. He is either so blinded by his psychological condition (whatever it may be), or he is willing to lie his way to his desired conclusion. Up to 1980 or so, club cyclists, with whom I rode a great deal, were almost the only American cycling population that exhibited general vehicular-cycling behavior. I did not learn it from them, for I had already brought the idea from my English cycling, but American club cycling behavior enabled me to formalize my descriptions of that behavior. Later, I measured the behavior, on the road, in traffic, of several cycling groups: club cyclists; general public adult cyclists in Davis, Palo Alto, Berkeley, Sunnyvale; students completing my Effective Cycling classes from ages 8 to mature adults. Club cyclist and student cyclist scores averaged about 95%; general public adult cycling populations averaged about a failing 60%. The accident rates reported in several studies of general public and of club cyclists showed that club cyclists had car-bike collision rates only 75% of those of the general cycling public. The reports of cycling club accidents showed that the strongest factor in reducing accidents was the first four years of club cycling experience, which correlates well with learning vehicular cycling behavior. At no time did I ever compare the unmeasured cycling behavior of 8-year-old cyclists with the unmeasured cycling behavior of adults; I compared only the actual measured behavior of the groups.
This is a very common error people make, confusing correlation for causation.
The correlation is club riding experience to fewer accidents. The causation he assumes is that it is the VC concepts of club riding that cause the fewer accidents.

One moment, he denies claiming a scientific basis for supporting lane position, but the next he uses faulty scientific reasoning to support VC, including.... lane position.

Old 03-14-07, 01:39 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
He must have felt threatened, otherwise he would have simply ignored us; that means we've got some traction. The private - rather than public - response is just cowardly.
Congrats Randy, finally, after all the personal attacks on ILTB and posturing horsepucky by JF's apostles, you get down to the real issue: Forester either reads what goes on here or his apostles here are feeding this stuff to him. Either way it's quite obvious that he takes it seriously enough to feel the need to respond on his web site (where nobody can counter his comments or engage in a semi real-time debate as we do in here).

So HH, you gleefully created this thread, I suspect because it would help support your wacky theories and allow you to make personal attacks on ILTB, but you shot yourself in the foot again, because all you have done is proven to everyone who posts here that the emperor has no clothes and is downright peeved that the unwashed masses in an internet forum have the audacity to point it out.

To everyone who posts here using independent thinking, creativity and innovation, keep up the good work, it seems certain people are noticing.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 03-14-07 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 01:41 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The poster you responded to was speaking about this particular piece.
Never-the-less, I used general terms in my response: "It can be a lot of work to understand his writing sometimes."
Old 03-14-07, 01:42 PM
I_Bike

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay - here we have it -did he or didn't he- -is he or isn't he- -are you are or aren't you-

Let's stick to a discussion of the issues discussed on Forester's site - name calling and second-guessing are going to lead to a world of pain.

Everyone cool off - breath deeply - it's only a forum - it's only ascii.
Old 03-14-07, 01:43 PM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your avatar is scaring me.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 03-14-07, 01:44 PM
I_Bike

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
your avatar is scaring me.
I've got worse.
Old 03-14-07, 01:44 PM
Scout!
a critical mass of one

Bikes: marin eldridge grade with xtracycle freeradical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skanking biker
...he talks in circles.
Talking in circles makes fertile ground for passionate exegesis.
Old 03-14-07, 01:45 PM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.