Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sign of a good employer

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Sign of a good employer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 03:23 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Sign of a good employer

Last month, I applied for a job that would have had me based 60 miles from where I live, effectively ending my bicycle commute. During the interview, I was asked about my concerns, and the only significant one I mentioned was that I'd have to trade a bike ride I love for a car commute that I'd hate.

I was selected, and my employer promised to try to get me based at a place 25 miles from where I live. Through my own channels, I learned this would happen before even the executive director of my new organization or the people at the new site knew.

Yesterday the administrative details were officially worked out. The executive director called me to tell me about my new site. Knowing I was a cyclist, he asked me if I considered it biking distance. I told him yes and added that I was happy with the route and the facilities.

He then mentioned something a bit extra. "Incidentally, that telecommuting agreement we made with you still applies -- don't think you can't work from home some days even though we're setting you up closer in. Just do what makes sense."

Things are off to a good start. I get to spec my new machine and phone out soon and have been told that they can be very flexible.
Old 03-15-07, 03:52 PM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent! Good on them! The attitude they are demonstrating is encouraging and you should let them know how much you appreciate their support if, of course, you haven't already.

Now, can I get a job there? LOL
Old 03-15-07, 03:57 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Sounds fantastic. Maybe you'll find the ED rides too. But of course in some ways even better if not and the company still has the awareness.

Al
Old 03-15-07, 04:05 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi banerjek-

Your physical fitness is going to skyrocket upwards if you're riding there three or four days a week plus weekend mileage! Congratulations on finding a great new employer.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 03-15-07, 04:28 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Sounds fantastic. Maybe you'll find the ED rides too. But of course in some ways even better if not and the company still has the awareness.
The ED doesn't ride, but there are a couple other guys that do. Seems to me there may be a marathoner or two in the bunch as well. The culture generally seems to regard distance biking as cool rather than crazy.
Old 03-15-07, 09:10 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go, baner!
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 03-16-07, 04:47 AM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Wow! Very nice.

Are they still hiring?

Az
Old 03-16-07, 06:34 AM
oneredstar
the bike made me do it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, sounds like a very progressive employer. Congrats on the new job and the new commute.
Old 03-16-07, 08:01 AM
I_Bike

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a forward thinking company - you're very lucky!
Old 03-16-07, 08:49 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems telecommuting is getting more and more accepted. That's great you were able to work it out based on bicycling, that they did not hold it against you. I bet having healthy people on staff keeps the insurance costs down, too.
Old 03-16-07, 09:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by sbhikes
It seems telecommuting is getting more and more accepted. That's great you were able to work it out based on bicycling, that they did not hold it against you. I bet having healthy people on staff keeps the insurance costs down, too.
It's a small outfit (unfortunately, they are not looking for more people at this time). It probably didn't hurt that one of their best people is a cycling nut who puts in about 15K miles per year and wants to ride the Everest Challenge with me.

Costs of insurance aside, you'd think having healthy people is good because they don't call in sick and don't get injured very easily. I tell people I'm resistant to everything.

At my current job, I received a really strange question about my cycling yesterday -- "Aren't you worried about ruining your health?"

The logic was apparently that there are enough toxins in the air and that by my increased rate of breathing while cycling, I was probably absorbing more. I acknowledged the risk but replied that I figured that overall I came out ahead.

I can't remember what he said then, but it was clear from his eyes that he thought I was delusional.
Old 03-16-07, 11:32 AM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should tell us who they are so we can patronize them.
Old 03-16-07, 11:50 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
It probably didn't hurt that one of their best people is a cycling nut who puts in about 15K miles per year and wants to ride the Everest Challenge with me.
What is the Everest Challenge? Never heard of this bike ride.
Old 03-16-07, 11:51 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
You should tell us who they are so we can patronize them.
They provide services aimed at 4 year educational institutions in Oregon or Washington. As such, they don't offer anything useful to individuals. The good news is that their income is pretty stable.