Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike facilities to encourage commuting... ideas?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 11:32 PM
mlts22 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Following the adage, "if you built it, they will come", what should cities build for commuter facilities to encourage bicycle commuting?

I'm meaning real facilities, not just chucking a high-density bike rack near the corner of a courthouse.

One example, but not seen in the US: Rentable bike lockers in a number of places in downtown parts of a city. Even if it requires a background check (to assure the city government that its going to store a bike, not contraband), this might help get people to commute.

Another example would be a "bike and bus" system. Near a major bus stop to downtown, have a number of lockers and bike racks available, so people can ride their bikes to a major stop, hop the bus.

Perhaps another would be vending machines with basic items in it, from the usual sizes of tubes and tires, to basic toolkits.
Old 03-12-07, 11:39 PM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chicago came up with what I consider to be an integral component of bicycling infrastructure in their Millenium Bike Station (now the McDonald Bike Station, I believe) where the facility, located in the downtown business core, offers secure, safe and enclosed bike locking/parking, change-rooms, showers, lockers and a cafe. The last time I checked their rates were exceptionally affordable at about $10.00 per month. Installing such a facility at key locations throughout any major metropolis and combining them with a comprehensive network of lanes would, in my estimation, encourage more people to consider cycling as a viable commuting option.
Old 03-12-07, 11:57 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
do you mean non-transportational, non-riding infrastructure?

Cities could add a lot of bike racks for starters. secure parking that isn't limited to a paltry number of bike spaces would also be good. Every bus should have a bike rack, ever transit train places for bikes.

Signage regarding bikes are transportation, a public awareness campaign, signs on buses, billboards, etc.

tax credits for bicycling. incentives for bicycling. free doughnuts on occasion. monthly rides with the mayor leading the charge.
Old 03-13-07, 12:33 AM
Bruce Rosar

Bikes: Road, Mtn, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlts22
... what should cities build ... to encourage bicycle commuting?
You might want to have a look at the Cycling Improvements and Bike/Transit Integration sections of the TDM Encyclopedia.
Old 03-13-07, 06:20 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been somewhat surprised at how popular the bike racks on buses have become in my area. We didn't have those when I was taking the bus in college; I had to choose between bike and bus at the beginning of the day. The combination provided with the rack seems to allow the best of both as the cyclist sees fit.

I think a business card with the names of a bunch of taxi companies willing to transport cyclists with their bikes, potentially combined with a coupon, would be nice. Sometimes my bike would break down, or I would get caught out without a working headlamp, or the weather would turn really ugly, and I would be happy to pay for a taxi if I could find one willing to give me an affordable ride in a timely manner.
Old 03-13-07, 07:08 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Bike lockers are wonderful; I have one at a New Jersey Transit station. It costs me $7.50 / month. But any kind of good, safe, bike parking would be fine. All train stations should have good bike parking facilities.
Lockers are, of course, a security risk. A better solution would be bicycle parking garages, which I've seen in Holland.
Also important is to give bicyclists access to all the roads and bridges they need to get from point A to point B. Anyplace where there is a bridge that isn't open to cyclists, there should be a second bridge dedicated to them.
Old 03-13-07, 07:10 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Following the adage, "if you built it, they will come", what should cities build for commuter facilities to encourage bicycle commuting?

I'm meaning real facilities, not just chucking a high-density bike rack near the corner of a courthouse.

One example, but not seen in the US: Rentable bike lockers in a number of places in downtown parts of a city. Even if it requires a background check (to assure the city government that its going to store a bike, not contraband), this might help get people to commute.

Another example would be a "bike and bus" system. Near a major bus stop to downtown, have a number of lockers and bike racks available, so people can ride their bikes to a major stop, hop the bus.

Perhaps another would be vending machines with basic items in it, from the usual sizes of tubes and tires, to basic toolkits.

One of the nicest situations I ever had when bike commuting was bike lockers. The other nice thing were readily available showers. Both were supplied by the employer. There was a short waitlist for the bike lockers, and you were required to commute at least 3 days a week, every week.

The next thing that has made commuting nice was off street paths that provided shortcuts past or around dense traffic areas. These were so desirable that other bike commuters would cut through local canyons making their own paths. These were readily discussed on the rec.bike email group within the company. Several commuters expressed from time to time their discomfort with riding on the nearby 45MPH major arterials, but had no problems taking the off road tracks. Good paths connecting neighborhoods are desirable. In other words, people would ride if they felt there was a safe way to get there.

Bike lanes on the other hand tend to not help all that much.

Support from fellow employees was also nice... such as that rec.bike mail list. The company also readily supported Bike to Work day and other local bike events... very encouraging.
Old 03-13-07, 08:02 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a bike station. I don't know anything about it, or even if it's open yet. It's new. Looks like a good idea but it will serve only people who work down town. It provides a secure room with stacked bicycle racks and showers.

I currently use a bikeway on my way to work. Before I took the bikeway I saw a lot of bike commuters in my town, but now I can say I have never seen so many bicycle commuters. The bikeway is a connection between Santa Barbara and the University and is somewhere around 10 miles long or so. It serves as a freeway for bikes. There is no easier or quicker way to get to the university. As the bikeway goes along it has few intersections with streets and it passes by several other major business areas so I am able to use it to go to my job as well.

Whenever I tell people about where my job is, the first thing they ask is if I'm able to use the bike path to get to work. A lot of people have the dream of being able to use the bike path to get to work, and now I'm livin' the dream!
Old 03-13-07, 08:14 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike lockers are nice, but if my city were to do two things that would make my life as a commuter easier it would be:

1) Strict enforcement of traffic laws. Wouldn't have to cost anything either as I'll bet any costs that they incur could be covered by the tickets that they write.

2) Better road maintenence: Clear the debris from the sides of the roads, fill potholes, make trafic light sensors sensitive enough to sense my bike etc.

Before you start trying to do something new, do what you are supposedly already doing!
Old 03-13-07, 08:23 AM
Scot_Gore
Minneapolis, MN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think this is pretty much what you describe, Downtown lockers and suburban lockers at bus stops, right smack dab in the middle of the US
https://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/downtown.pdf
https://www.metrotransit.org/serviceInfo/bikeLockers.asp

Another program we have is:
https://www.metrotransit.org/riderPrograms/grh.asp
Guranteed Ride Home. They'll pick up a cab ride home 4 times a year. What's appealing to the bike commuter is that when the bike breaks mid commute in the rain. It gives them an out beyond "phone a friend".

Last edited by Scot_Gore; 03-13-07 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-13-07, 08:33 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
In addtion to lockers - Showers. I would not cycle commute here in the summer if I didn't have a shower available.

Al
Old 03-13-07, 08:58 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one more vote for showers and lockers. that would be useful to me.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 03-13-07, 09:19 AM
bigpedaler
Banned

Bikes: jamis dakar xlt 1.9, weyless sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe i'm just a lone voice crying in the wilderness here, but with all the current talk about the environment, global warming, going 'green', and conserving/recycling resources, a sudden splurge of shower facilities seems a bit self-serving. use some stinkin' handi-wipes! the idea -- from these suit-wearing upwardly-mobile clones -- that perfct hygiene at all times is a requirement to live is just plain silly. our lives, our world, our very bodies, are awash in bacteria all the time. bacteria are necessary for life itself --they are God's recyclers! it's all part of how this ecosystem works.

it's time to GET OVER the hyper-hygienic madness.
Old 03-13-07, 09:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by bigpedaler
maybe i'm just a lone voice crying in the wilderness here, but with all the current talk about the environment, global warming, going 'green', and conserving/recycling resources, a sudden splurge of shower facilities seems a bit self-serving. use some stinkin' handi-wipes! the idea -- from these suit-wearing upwardly-mobile clones -- that perfct hygiene at all times is a requirement to live is just plain silly. our lives, our world, our very bodies, are awash in bacteria all the time. bacteria are necessary for life itself --they are God's recyclers! it's all part of how this ecosystem works.

What is the difference between taking a shower at home or at work? It is not as if I take twice the showers because I bike commute. I use a work shower vice home shower.

The need for resources does not increase, just the location of the resources.
Old 03-13-07, 09:28 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
maybe i'm just a lone voice crying in the wilderness here, but with all the current talk about the environment, global warming, going 'green', and conserving/recycling resources.....
With all the evidence of massive climate change due to the industrial revolution and american's gluttonous waste of resources, It's APPALLING american road infrastructure is still being weighted so heavily towards cars as the dominant mode of transportation.

Imagine, if on every multi laned road, one entire travel lane became a bike lane.

I think a MASSIVE increase of road-integrated infrastructure would also encourage bicycling. Portland has done it. Victoria, BC, Bogota, Brussels, Berlin, Copenhagen, Delft, cities all over the world have increased bicycling thru the use of bike specific infrastructure. the evidence is irrefutable.

But we americans are still sucking the tailpipe of the big three and paying blood money for the lions' share of petrol.
Old 03-13-07, 09:59 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Tempe, AZ bikestation to open spring 2008 (with, gasp, showers):

https://www.tempe.gov/greenprograms/pdfs/Bikestation.pdf

Al
Old 03-13-07, 10:03 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's cool for those who work downtown! good stuff.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 03-13-07, 10:09 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yea... well, for some of us, smelling nice and fresh is a job requirement. Myself, I don't need to be all that groomed, but I do need to look professional (I am an engineer). I am too green yet to get to be that person in the Hawaiian shirt and sandels and be respected for my engineering skills alone. I'm working on it though.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-13-07, 10:43 AM
GreenGrasshoppr
Opt-in Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like a covered bike path network around and through the city, also designed so that during winter, snow does not accumulate on the surface.

Also, make it wide enough to accomodate the other people who will feel compelled to use it too (pedestrians, rollerbladers, etc.)

/what?
Old 03-13-07, 12:57 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
What is the difference between taking a shower at home or at work? It is not as if I take twice the showers because I bike commute. I use a work shower vice home shower.

The need for resources does not increase, just the location of the resources.

I myself do take one extra shower per day when I bike commute: when I return home.

My wife demands this. There is no avoiding it.
Old 03-13-07, 01:13 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I myself do take one extra shower per day when I bike commute: when I return home.

My wife demands this. There is no avoiding it.
Yea, me too.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-13-07, 01:27 PM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I play a lot of poker and one of the regular poker players I play with seems not to know anything about hygiene or deodorant. If you heard what everyone says behind his back you'd not want to be him, so I'll take an extra shower or two after my rides, thanks. They don't have to be long showers that waste water needlessly and they can be taken with water-reducing heads as well, after all.
Old 03-14-07, 03:44 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the things we are trying to push on Bike to Work Day is the Guaranteed Ride Home program where those who don’t bike to work (assumed because of the distance) can also participate by offering a ride home to those who do bike in, this option helps a lot of people take the plunge in trying bike commuting.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 03-14-07, 08:19 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to avoid the showers because I just don't feel comfortable getting naked around coworkers. So I just try to ride slow enough to not get dripping with sweat and wear my street clothes. Fortunately it's almost always cold outside when I ride.

If it's hot or my clothes don't lend well to riding a bike, I'll bring my street clothes and try to hide my cycling clothes in my cube, hopefully I can get them to dry out. Wet cycling clothes at the end of the day suck.

I find I get smelly from stress more than from exercise. And I kill the germs under my arms with alcohol before I use deodrant to keep the bacteria down.

So for me, the showers are a wash (ha ha) but I do appreciate the big handicapped stall in the restroom for changing.
Old 03-14-07, 08:28 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Yea... well, for some of us, smelling nice and fresh is a job requirement. Myself, I don't need to be all that groomed, but I do need to look professional (I am an engineer). I am too green yet to get to be that person in the Hawaiian shirt and sandels and be respected for my engineering skills alone. I'm working on it though.
Someday you might even get to wear a ChipcomMan outfit, including cape and tights, like me.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.