Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why I will never buy a TREK.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why I will never buy a TREK.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 10:03 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,057 Times in 2,705 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Both Trek and Spec? You don't see that very often.
It is rare but the shop is really cool. Say what you want about the guy he built a very neat bike shop. The shop also sold Cannondale at one point I don't know if they still do. I don't love Trek or Trek stores generally but he had a pretty shop with some cool stuff around and good staff. I haven't been back in years but have been a few times and really neat place but I love bike shops in general so L.A. or not I would probably enjoy it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-12-24, 10:03 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10245 Post(s)
Liked 5,200 Times in 2,231 Posts
Both Trek and Spec? You don't see that very often.
BMC as well, And I think one other. I havnt been in there in a month. Will try and go back this week.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 04-12-24, 10:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 748 Posts
Fine. If your knickers are still twisted over something that happened a long time ago, and you feel that strongly about it, don't buy a Trek. It's your right to express your opinion with your pocketbook, as well as here. Other folks also have the right to have a different opinion.

What kind of bike are you currently looking to buy, and what manufacturers are you looking at?
Other than the adolescent "twisted Knickers" comment, I agree with you. As for my bikes....a GURU Photon, GURU Sidero, Cannondale CAAD 12, and a Canyon Aeroad. Oh, and a Colnago World Cup CX.
Old 04-12-24, 10:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5017 Post(s)
Liked 8,204 Times in 3,879 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Other than the adolescent "twisted Knickers" comment, I agree with you. As for my bikes....a GURU Photon, GURU Sidero, Cannondale CAAD 12, and a Canyon Aeroad. Oh, and a Colnago World Cup CX.
Those are the bikes you are currently considering buying? Interesting mix.
Old 04-12-24, 10:43 AM
bruce19

Those are the bikes you are currently considering buying? Interesting mix.
Nope. They are the ones I already own. I'm not considering buying any more. Although, I've said that before.
Old 04-12-24, 10:46 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 681 Posts
Nope. They are the ones I already own. I'm not considering buying any more. Although, I've said that before.
So you start a thread stating why you will never buy a Trek, but you have no plans on buying another bike? This triggers a rehash of issues from almost 20 years ago.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-12-24, 10:52 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,697 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
The power of Bike Forums.

Brand Spotlight: Trek Bicycle Cements Its Position As Most Trusted Bicycle Brand
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-12-24, 10:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Hmmm...I'm not seeing where you stated that before. Maybe it was in another thread that I missed. It seems that stating "I'll never buy a Trek" when you don't plan on buying ANY bike is just stomping your feet to get attention.
Old 04-12-24, 11:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am not saying it was OK I am saying. those people thought it was OK at the time. ... so yes now people recognize it was wrong but at that time it was fine in that circle. Our opinions may have changed in that time and certainly in some degrees the UCI has changed (though bike weights are still high) but what happened back then hasn't changed it was as it was

Again I not saying doping is OK, I am saying at the time in the pro peloton they thought it was OK.
You keep saying that, but it is not true.

They'd been doing anti-doping testing of riders at the TdF since the 1960s. When Lance won in '99 and every subsequent year, doping was illegal and he was using illegal substances. His being stripped of the wins was not a retroactive application of new rules or new morality: he broke the rules as they were each time he won.

As far as what your twisted excuses are apologizing for, I really don't know, but it's something. It could be for Lance, it could be Trek, it could be for some family or friend of yours who was involved, it could be a gnawing sense of resentment knowing people out there might look down on you for riding a Trek even though you spent a lot of money on it...I dunno. What I do know is that whatever you're on about is irrelevant to my position, because I dislike Trek for what they did to Lemond.
Old 04-12-24, 11:22 AM
bruce19

Hmmm...I'm not seeing where you stated that before. Maybe it was in another thread that I missed. It seems that stating "I'll never buy a Trek" when you don't plan on buying ANY bike is just stomping your feet to get attention.
My comment was to the effect that I never plan to buy a bike. I always think I have too many. Then I end up buying another. So, really, who knows?
Old 04-12-24, 11:33 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 1,330 Posts
According to the indigenous people the problem is immigrants.
Yeah. If some impediment was built 800 years ago the current state of things might look a bit different.

John
Old 04-12-24, 11:39 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by chaadster
You keep saying that, but it is not true.

They'd been doing anti-doping testing of riders at the TdF since the 1960s. When Lance won in '99 and every subsequent year, doping was illegal and he was using illegal substances. His being stripped of the wins was not a retroactive application of new rules or new morality: he broke the rules as they were each time he won.

As far as what your twisted excuses are apologizing for, I really don't know, but it's something. It could be for Lance, it could be Trek, it could be for some family or friend of yours who was involved, it could be a gnawing sense of resentment knowing people out there might look down on you for riding a Trek even though you spent a lot of money on it...I dunno. What I do know is that whatever you're on about is irrelevant to my position, because I dislike Trek for what they did to Lemond.
The reality was that a large majority of the peloton was doping. It was pretty much considered standard operating procedure at the time, and it's been well documented. Was Lance on something that others weren't? Probably. Anyone believing that everyone else was clean is just willful ignorance, at this point. If you hate Lance for his doping use, that's fine. Personally, I have less issue with that aspect than I do with how he treated those around him during that time (including his influence in the Trek-Lemond situation). That said, during those years, I sure liked watching him race bicycles. I was quite disappointed to find out what an @$$hole he really was.
Old 04-12-24, 11:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,535 Times in 1,519 Posts
I can't get over the speech he made to Peter Le Fleur in Dodgeball. That crossed the line.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-12-24, 11:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Man, people can’t help but talk about Lance! Even when we’re not talking about Lance, they still want to talk about Lance. It’s like a homoerotic fetish cult. Maybe that’s another reason I don’t like Trek.
Old 04-12-24, 12:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4476 Post(s)
Liked 4,949 Times in 3,059 Posts
The reality was that a large majority of the peloton was doping. It was pretty much considered standard operating procedure at the time, and it's been well documented. Was Lance on something that others weren't? Probably. Anyone believing that everyone else was clean is just willful ignorance, at this point. If you hate Lance for his doping use, that's fine. Personally, I have less issue with that aspect than I do with how he treated those around him during that time (including his influence in the Trek-Lemond situation). That said, during those years, I sure liked watching him race bicycles. I was quite disappointed to find out what an @$$hole he really was.

Yeah I agree the doping was almost mandatory in that era and that wasn’t LA’s fault. But his arrogance and conceit was on another level. I guess that was what eventually led to his downfall too. Looking back I would blame the dodgy team owners and their docs for what the sport became. Not the young riders who just did what they thought was necessary.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-12-24, 12:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by chaadster
Man, people can’t help but talk about Lance! Even when we’re not talking about Lance, they still want to talk about Lance. It’s like a homoerotic fetish cult. Maybe that’s another reason I don’t like Trek.
Not even Lance rides a Trek any more. Look at that. You're just like Lance!
Old 04-12-24, 12:38 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah I agree the doping was almost mandatory in that era and that wasn’t LA’s fault. But his arrogance and conceit was on another level. I guess that was what eventually led to his downfall too. Looking back I would blame the dodgy team owners and their docs for what the sport became. Not the young riders who just did what they thought was necessary.
I actually don't have some vendetta wish towards Lance because of his cheating. He cheated. He got caught. He was held accountable. I do though despise his actions of reprisal toward people like LeMond, the Andreu's, the team masseuse, the reporter who outed him and many others. He went out to destroy them personally and financially. For that he is scum IMO. But, that wasn't the point of my post. TREK ignored his fraud and went after anyone who threatened their bottom line, regardless of the truth. They did what corporate America does to us every day. When a corporation works against my interests, I do not support them. I posted that LeMond video because it was new to me and offered some additional insights about the incident. Not all corporations are the same. Do you remember when Specialized went after the Roubaix bike shop in Montreal? They sued the local mom and pop bike shop for using "their" Roubaix name. Ignoring, of course, the fact that they "stole" the name from the actual Roubaix town and Paris-Roubaix race. When confronted publicly, the Specialized CEO dropped the suit and apologized. I would have no problem buying a Specialized. But, that's just me. I have no prescription for anyone's behavior. You get to do whatever you think is right. Obviously.
Old 04-12-24, 12:44 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Interesting to hold a grudge that doesn’t have anything to do with you.
Also it should be noted that using drugs was totally normal from the start of professional bicycle racing. The only thing that Armstrong did was improve the science so that it wouldn't kill you like it did
Pantani.
Old 04-12-24, 12:49 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 417 Posts
I actually don't have some vendetta wish towards Lance because of his cheating. He cheated. He got caught. He was held accountable. I do though despise his actions of reprisal toward people like LeMond, the Andreu's, the team masseuse, the reporter who outed him and many others. He went out to destroy them personally and financially. For that he is scum IMO. But, that wasn't the point of my post. TREK ignored his fraud and went after anyone who threatened their bottom line, regardless of the truth. They did what corporate America does to us every day. When a corporation works against my interests, I do not support them. I posted that LeMond video because it was new to me and offered some additional insights about the incident. Not all corporations are the same. Do you remember when Specialized went after the Roubaix bike shop in Montreal? They sued the local mom and pop bike shop for using "their" Roubaix name. Ignoring, of course, the fact that they "stole" the name from the actual Roubaix town and Paris-Roubaix race. When confronted publicly, the Specialized CEO dropped the suit and apologized. I would have no problem buying a Specialized. But, that's just me. I have no prescription for anyone's behavior. You get to do whatever you think is right. Obviously.
The problem is, from a business , from Trek’s standpoint, it was a billion dollar business vs speculative words from people.

There were no positive tests, there was no proof.

It was words from a rider completely disconnected from the situation, offering pure speculation. And from general people that had no proof.

I always ask this question- should Trek and Lance just have up and said - yep, they got me?

Was Lance a dick - sure. But there was no way in hell he, or probably anyone in the sport, would have just simply said - yep the masseuse was right, y’all got me.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-12-24, 12:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

Again I not saying doping is OK, I am saying at the time in the pro peloton they thought it was OK. I think doping is wrong however I will say if the majority (87% I believe) of those involved are doping the person who wins at that race is the winner. It is not like you or I could start doing the same doping as the pros were doing back then and win there still was a lot of training and ability there even if clouded by doping. That all being said to reiterate just to be crystal clear DOPING IS NOT OK.

I am still curious how I am a Trek apologist?
My gripe with LA is not that he doped but that he was quite willing to go after those who told the truth in court (often successfully), with verbal threats (often by telephone to women; the calls made by others) and other actions. (Anyone remember him chasing down that Italian who had spoken under subpoena and under oath of doping to kill that rider's chance of a stage victory and a pocketful of change.) Calls to Armstrong's wife, LA's masseuse (who he had carry EPO through customs; ie break international law). Discovery/Postal would pass on to UCI that so-and-so was doping (usually a rider who was pushing Lance on the GC at that year's Tour) but conveniently had some insider at UCI call ahead when a drug tester was coming so Lance could get his blood diluted to pass the test. (UCI was also in on this. A couple of times, LA's teammates left that tester outdoors for over a half hour while LA did this work. Automatic doping violation, not test needed unless your name was LA. You had 10 minutes as I recall to open that door and present your rider.)

And above all, LA lied. Not once or twice but for over a decade all the time. To pretend that Trek and other insiders did not know? That what LA told Greg Lemond, his wife and others from his hospital during his cancer never came back to Trek? The Amgen sponsorship and partnership, Amgen being the major producer of EPO and the Postal/Discovery team the most sophisticated used of EPO was coincidence? Was Trek really that naive or blind? (When GL spoke up, I never sensed that Trek said "Huh! Maybe he's on to something. Let's look further." No, it was "Stuff this as fast as possible!"
Old 04-12-24, 12:59 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Trek turned the best local bike chain in Portland into Trek showrooms. Places where you used to be able to wheel any bike in, get it fixed or buy parts to keep it running. Now it feels like trying to by old VW parts at a Tesla dealership. (My repainted '83 Trek frame that is my fix gear workhorse would be neither recognized or welcomed.)
So, the owners of this local bike chain decided to sell to Trek, likely due to the business not being all that profitable to them (you know, the purpose of being in business). They happily taking took the money from Trek and moved on. Perhaps they could have sold to a local and kept i from going corporate, maybe there were no other buyers or Trek offered a much larger sum. You continue to hold them in high esteem.

Trek purchased a chain of bike shops and has shifted the focus to Trek products and not products made by their competition to turn the business into something profitable enough to remain viable moving forward. You hold them in low esteem.

I'm not a big fan of Trek's approach to bike shops, but I'd rather there be a Trek bike store than no bike store at all. Trek and Specialized aren't forcing these independent shop owners out. The owners are struggling and looking for a way out of the business. They're happy to get paid for their business by the big evil corporations but get presented as victims by the cycling population.

The shareholders of big corporations (including all of us with any sort of retirement or investment accounts) demand increased revenue and profits so the value of our shares increase and we get more dividends so we can retire sooner, buy more things, etc. This causes the big corporate bike brands to transition the stores they buy to focus on selling their goods so they can meet those demands.

Why is it that nearly nobody acknowledges that we the citizens are demanding conflicting things for our own benefits. Corporate greed is just another variation on the individual greed that permeates our society. We want it all and want someone or everyone else to be willing to give up something so that we can have more of what we want.

End of rant...
Old 04-12-24, 01:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7046 Post(s)
Liked 11,094 Times in 4,739 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Trek turned the best local bike chain in Portland into Trek showrooms. Places where you used to be able to wheel any bike in, get it fixed or buy parts to keep it running. Now it feels like trying to by old VW parts at a Tesla dealership. (My repainted '83 Trek frame that is my fix gear workhorse would be neither recognized or welcomed.)
These shops will only work on Trek bikes? No other brand? And they only stock proprietary parts labelled "Trek" and "Bontrager"?
Old 04-12-24, 01:33 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
These shops will only work on Trek bikes? No other brand? And they only stock proprietary parts labelled "Trek" and "Bontrager"?
There is one by me, and they don't.

I've had them work on my Specialized bike, and there was no reluctance.
Old 04-12-24, 01:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My last several visits I have gone out empty handed. Each time REI has what I needed. REI had a mechanic who understood what I was looking for, knew where the box of those parts was, brought it out and I picked out exactly what I needed. The Trek showroom? "We got rid of all that stuff."
Old 04-12-24, 01:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10471 Post(s)
Liked 11,982 Times in 6,134 Posts
What, never?
No,never!
What, NEVER?
Well...hardly ever!
He's ll hardly ever sick at sea buy a Trek!

I can't GUARANTEE I'll never buy a Trek, but I don't think it's likely. Nothing against the company, I just don't have room!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.