Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Now that is hardcore.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Now that is hardcore.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 12:44 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
There is a very fine line between hardcore and madness. Just sayin'.
Sanity is overrated.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-19-23, 04:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
The Ramones. The epitome of hard core. "Beat on the Brat!" I suspect that the young engineers on my team would not believe that the old guy listened to that kind of stuff when he was their age. I mean going from The Ramones to Andy Statman is a fairly big change.

My personal favorite from around that time was "Wall of Voodoo". "Mexican Radio" came out at a time I was living in So-Cal and designing algorithms for anti-aircraft systems. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.

I had to go listen to "Mexican Radio" on YouTube and the add sponsoring it was Taco Bell. So much for Google's intelligent search algorithms. Made me want to go out to a Taco Bell and order BBQed Iguana!!

Ramones were punk, but definitely not hardcore. The hardcore bands were more of a second wave of punk bands, while the Ramones were definitely in the first wave.
Old 04-19-23, 06:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,519 Times in 1,515 Posts
Madness was a ska band. Definitely not hardcore.
Old 04-19-23, 08:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10999 Post(s)
Liked 7,527 Times in 4,211 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I’ll tell you hardcore, doing a 220km stage in southern Europe in the summer, waking up so sore the next day that you are almost unable to walk, and see blood in your urine when using the toilet. Then, trying to get your cycling shorts on when your legs are so sore that it hurts to bend your knees enough to pull them over your feet, getting back on your bike, riding a 120km stage, and finishing 2nd.

Today hardcore for me is a 40km loop around the town.
Were you doing this, or is it just a general example?
Old 04-19-23, 08:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
Hardcore is madness with planning and preparation.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-19-23, 08:46 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 668 Posts
Reminds me of a fun quote from the radio comic Dr. Science:

”There is a fine line between ignorance and arrogance. I erase that line!”

Otto
Old 04-20-23, 08:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,651 Times in 7,363 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Cool. Bay View Stat Park was an Info Control Saturday, on the northbound leg up to Bellingham. That was before the drizzle started IIRC. Control question: What word appears below Bay View State Park on the park sign? I'll keep the answer to myself, as it might be re-used another day.

Kind of amazed I remember the question and answer, considering the subsequent lack of sleep.

I'd like to do some more bike touring, if I can ever get this rando stuff out of my system. What little I've done was fun. Intense, but fun.
After Rockport we did a short day to Colonial Creek Campground and then crossed over that day after that. It started to rain before Rainy Pass. The rain turned to snow before we hit Washington Pass. My hand froze on the descent to Mazama. I had to stop and warm them up inside my pants. When I reached to KOA in Newhalem the owner was watering the grass. Having never ridden out west, that sort of stuff was all new to me.

Wonder if they ever built the park.

The afternoon before the long climb.

Near the summit.

At the summit.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-20-23, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ditto. My biggest regret is that I never saw Prince play at First Avenue. Did see some other great shows there, though.
That bopping between the main stage at First Avenue and 7th Street Entry was the best--I can't imagine so much music happening routinely under one roof regularly like that now. The music scene in downtown Minneapolis really was crazy. You had Goofy's Upper Deck a couple blocks away, and of course, the Longhorn..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-20-23, 03:13 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
After Rockport we did a short day to Colonial Creek Campground and then crossed over that day after that. It started to rain before Rainy Pass. The rain turned to snow before we hit Washington Pass. My hand froze on the descent to Mazama. I had to stop and warm them up inside my pants. When I reached to KOA in Newhalem the owner was watering the grass. Having never ridden out west, that sort of stuff was all new to me.

Wonder if they ever built the park.

The afternoon before the long climb.

Near the summit.

At the summit.
Same pass, June 2018. That was the last day of the Cascades 1200. East of the Cascades, in the high desert, we baked. The organizer implored us to carry our rain and cold gear because we'd need it going over the pass. Damn right we did, and those few who didn't had a slow and miserable decent.

I was going to dnf the end of the previous day due to knee pain, but a buddy talked me into waiting until morning. Good advice. Ice, ibuprofen, and sleep did wonders. I rode that ride on my bent as you can see. I want to give it a go on my upright, next time it's run.

Gorgeous country; it's like living in a postcard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dmu8pozkagGPYtUS7
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-20-23, 03:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,651 Times in 7,363 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Same pass, June 2018. That was the last day of the Cascades 1200. East of the Cascades, in the high desert, we baked. The organizer implored us to carry our rain and cold gear because we'd need it going over the pass. Damn right we did, and those few who didn't had a slow and miserable decent.

I was going to dnf the end of the previous day due to knee pain, but a buddy talked me into waiting until morning. Good advice. Ice, ibuprofen, and sleep did wonders. I rode that ride on my bent as you can see. I want to give it a go on my upright, next time it's run.

Gorgeous country; it's like living in a postcard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dmu8pozkagGPYtUS7
Yeah. The mountains wring out all the moisture, so the east side is drier and warm. We had a rest day in Winthrop. There were tumbleweeds blowing around town. Went through Twisp and over Loup Loup on the way to Tonasket. The area around Okanagen was arid and hot.

During 2017 I met a man way up in NW Montana. He owned a horse farm in Tonasket. He couldn’t believe I had camped at Shannon’s Cafe in Tonasket. The first time was during the annual reenactment of the pony express that once brought mail between the US and Canada.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-21-23, 02:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4996 Post(s)
Liked 8,163 Times in 3,861 Posts
IMO, this is pretty cool...

On Sunday, pro gravel racers, Jeremiah Bishop and Tyler Pearce (aka "The Vegan Cyclist), competed in the Belgian Waffle Ride in San Marcos, CA (127mi). The next morning, they set out to ride from San Marcos to their next race - Sea Otter in Monterey, CA - dubbing it the "Belgian Otter Ride". Their route has included some dirt sections, as well.
Day 1: San Marcos - Santa Monica (112mi)
Day 2: Santa Monica - Solvang (150mi)
Day 3: Solvang - San Luis Obispo (92mi)
Day 4: SLO - King City (110mi)
Day 5: King City - Monterey...happening now

It's not the hardest thing ever, but it's a pretty good effort.

Last year, Pearce completed the Silver State 508 in under 30 hours and took the title of US Ultra Distance National Champion.
Old 04-21-23, 07:45 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 301 Posts
^^^^Qualifies.
Old 04-21-23, 07:50 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 301 Posts
BTW, thanks for the heads up. I have never heard of the Silver State 508. I think it may be a little too much for yours truly, but I would consider part of a relay team. Or that 200 mile ride also listed on the home page. Would need a bit more training to get me there though. And some planning. Reno is a good six hours away from me.