Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Japanese?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 10:42 PM
jimbossa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

I was just wondering what happened to all the Japanese bike companies? I know Fuji still makes bikes, and Nishiki got bought out and decommissioned. However, there were a lot more companies; what happened to Centurion, Panasonic, Miyata, Zunow?

These companies produced fabulous bikes in the 80's and they don't seem to exist or make them now. I figured they got outsourced to Taiwan, but even Italian companies outsource today but arguably manage to maintain their brand name and essence. I would love to have seen what the Japanese would have done with carbon fibre.
Old 04-26-10, 10:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
it became uneconomic to produce bikes there once the Chinese started making decent bikes.
Old 04-26-10, 10:58 PM
jimbossa

Originally Posted by unterhausen
it became uneconomic to produce bikes there once the Chinese started making decent bikes.
Yea, but how come the Italian bikes have survived? I can't see the Italian costs being more effective than the Japanese
Old 04-26-10, 11:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I agree with that, but there are still bicycle mfgs. in Japan, but they are domestic market now, so smaller than they were before. Some of the names in the original posters list were brands not mfgs.
Kuwahara produced a lot of brands, and others under contract.
The strong yen to dollar ratio has cut out the Japanese from the USA market, even Rivendell has accepted defeat sourcing from Japan for the USA market.
Plenty of bikes in Japan, just not seen elsewhere.
Old 04-26-10, 11:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbossa
Yea, but how come the Italian bikes have survived? I can't see the Italian costs being more effective than the Japanese
I think you need to review what Made IN means in various countries. There are lots of Italian Brands, but even Bianchi well known world wide, does not produce that much in Italy any more.
Old 04-26-10, 11:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,435 Posts
jimbossa, some names live on as contracting companies. In other words, companies like Bianchi might design bikes, but they have the bikes made in China or Taiwan. Some companies, such as Schwinn, don't exist any more except that the right to use the name has been bought as a license. As far as I know, bikes are mass produced only in China and Taiwan nowadays.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-10, 11:14 PM
jimbossa

Originally Posted by noglider
jimbossa, some names live on as contracting companies. In other words, companies like Bianchi might design bikes, but they have the bikes made in China or Taiwan. Some companies, such as Schwinn, don't exist any more except that the right to use the name has been bought as a license. As far as I know, bikes are mass produced only in China and Taiwan nowadays.
I can understand that.

What I am saying is that the Japanese companies don't seem to exist anymore, even in name. Maybe they are all in the domestic market, but I thought I might have heard about it overseas. I haven't seen anything passed off recently as Japanese other than Fuji. Even some companies like GIOS, Colnago and Cinelli manage to produce some bikes (mainly steel, Thank god!) in Italy. I find it weird that Shimano, a components giant managed to survive and yet not many bicycle manufacturers.
Old 04-26-10, 11:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

How many bike makers were there in Japan? I don't know of many. The US importers invented a lot of names. Nishiki is one of those. Even Fuji was, as far as I know.

The only makers I can think of are/were Panasonic, Bridgestone, Kuwahara, and Tsunoda. All those other Japanese names weren't the names of Japanese companies.

Shimano doesn't make stuff in Japan any more, as far as I know. They survived because they are, by far, the biggest bike parts maker in the world. I believe they're also pretty big in their other business, fishing tackle.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-26-10, 11:51 PM
5cagm

Bikes: 1984 Nishiki Landau, 1991 Merlin Titanium, 199? Lotto MBK Team

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How many bike makers were there in Japan? I don't know of many. The US importers invented a lot of names. Nishiki is one of those. Even Fuji was, as far as I know.

The only makers I can think of are/were Panasonic, Bridgestone, Kuwahara, and Tsunoda. All those other Japanese names weren't the names of Japanese companies.

Shimano doesn't make stuff in Japan any more, as far as I know. They survived because they are, by far, the biggest bike parts maker in the world. I believe they're also pretty big in their other business, fishing tackle.
Don't forget Miyata! They also made lots of bikes for Univega.
Old 04-26-10, 11:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yes, of course! Miyata!

Old 04-27-10, 01:13 AM
robatsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Maruishi was a Japanese company that survived up until about 2 years ago. Araya sells bikes in Japan, although I don't know where they are made.

The vast majority of bikes in Japan are department store grade bikes, it is almost as rare to see a Toei or something like that there as it is here. About a year ago when my wife was looking for a job in Japan, she had some serious talks with Trek, which is trying to introduce high end sport cycling - 5k carbon bikes, etc, to the Japanese mass market and is setting up boutique shops in a number of places in Japan.
Old 04-27-10, 01:16 AM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The last I knew high end Shimano components are still produced in Japan. Their lower grades and mass market componnts are produced in Singapore per what I have read.

Take a look at the Jitensha thread in the Commuting forum. A lot of used Japanese city bikes are exported to the Philippines and other asian countries and many of them look like NOTHING available here.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 04-27-10, 05:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
The worldwide exchange rate said "nyet" to the yen.
Schwinn sold. Trek began. MTB's. Road boom ended.

That's it in a nyetshell.
Old 04-27-10, 06:43 AM
mkael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki is still around. But I think they are made in Taiwan. They are still a very common sight in Scandinavia. Kuwaharas exists also in some form or another.

Mass produced bicycles? I think it depends on definition what is mass produced? Also Taiwan and China has many different bike factories.

Focus bikes is German. They are exported into different countries. A very common sight in Germany. They mention not advertize they produce their bikes in Germany. Very big sortiment of mid to high end mtb , cycloross , racing etc bikes. There are other smaller? locally built names one can see often on the streets. And not forget about the comfort/commuting/modern omafiets bike market. These must be the most popular bike type by a wide margin. Where was Kettler? being made again? Of course cv or most bikeforums members are mostly into different bikes. Wasn't the biggest bike factory in the world some fully automated monstrosity making just these bikes.

How big is Fort the Czech bike manufacturer? They also produce mid to high-end bikes and export frames which are not always sold under that name. I think there are other manufacturers which also make more supermarket style bikes.

These are all bikes which I have seen around often.
Old 04-27-10, 06:52 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Well, glad to know that competition breeds competitors, so there will always be some downward price pressure.
For the C&V road bikes, the market fluctuates, but it's pretty stable, and I don't see a stampede away from new bikes into C&V coming any time soon.

If you like DT shifters, the invention of STI shifting has made your type of bikes affordable for a long time to come.
And I like DT shifters.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-27-10 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-27-10, 07:12 AM
kirke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Panasonic is still around and producing beautiful high quality lugged steel frames. Yellow Jersey sells their NJS track frames and a cool touring frameset with couplers.
https://www.yellowjersey.org/panak.html

Bridgestone is also still around too. I know they are making crazy carbon track frames which you can get through Business Cycles:
https://www.businesscycles.com/anchor.htm
I am sure they still make road frames, although I have not seen them in the US.

Besides all of the custom builders in the USA now, I think Japan has some of the most incredible master frame builders anywhere. Yes, they mostly just build for the professional track racers, but those NJS frames are some of the most beautiful and are built in a very traditional style.
Old 04-27-10, 07:44 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Fuji's corporate HQ is here in PA, not Asia. Not that any bikes are built here, but the current ownership (bought)/resurrected the name from the original going-out-of-businees Japanese company.

Ha, ha. I just looked at Fuji's web site, and they've "revised" their history section to make it appear that the company never really changed. Two years ago they were making a big distinction between old Fuji and the NEW American FUJI.

IIRC this transition took place around 2001 ?
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 04-27-10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-27-10, 10:06 AM
velo-orange

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
A lot of those brands are still active in the Japanese domestic market.
Centurion wasn't a factory, so much as a marque that has been traded and sold through so many companies and wholesaler/ distributors.
Brands like Zunow or 3Rensho were small builders, who lost interest in the craft or died. Possibly the family didn't want to continue.

Old 04-27-10, 01:57 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Tsunda (made Lotus and others), Bridgestone and Araya (made Centurions, Nishikis, etc.) are still around, but are not imported do to the exchange rate. Not sure about Panasonic or Fuji. Thiose company names are sometimes sold as trademarks (Masi USA, Raleigh USA as examples). Though Fuji exists corporately in the US, I do not know if they still exist in Japan as we might expect.
Old 04-27-10, 02:04 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I had a Sekai in the early 80s. apparently they shut down in 1986.

https://www.yellowjersey.org/sekai.html
Old 04-27-10, 02:11 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
That Panasonic NJS frame on Yellow Jersey shows a lot resemblance with my early 90s PR-6000 in detailing. The last time I were able to visit the Japanese 'panabyc' website I discovered the frames were available in many finishes, including the 'team paint', as famous from the PR-6000s that were raced in the pro peleton in the early nineties.

Unfortunately I can't find the Panasonic POS pages anymore.
Old 04-27-10, 02:14 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
once the Chinese started making decent bikes.
*Chokes on coffee* Wait!What???
Old 04-27-10, 02:18 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kirke
Panasonic is still around and producing beautiful high quality lugged steel frames. Yellow Jersey sells their NJS track frames and a cool touring frameset with couplers.
https://www.yellowjersey.org/panak.html
did you notice the Panasonic bikes they carry are all POS?! hahahaha
Old 04-27-10, 02:19 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Correction! Found again:

https://cycle.panasonic.jp/products/pos/

...and we can still order the team paint (among 1001 other designs)

Old 04-27-10, 03:36 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,695 Times in 2,611 Posts
Not related to current Japanese-made bicycles, but I really like this website for looking at Japanese domestic-market bikes produced by some of the larger manufacturers:

https://comics.sakura.ne.jp/cycle/cy00e.htm

Neal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.