Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new trainer to keep my winter training interesting.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for a new trainer to keep my winter training interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 10:41 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Its expensive but I love the Kurt Kinetic rock and roll . The fluid unit is mounted on rubber bushings giving a more lifelike ride with motion. Makes it far easier to ride for long times when inclimate.
Old 09-20-10, 11:10 AM
leooooo

Bikes: Gaulzetti Cazzo, Gaulzetti Corsa, Gaulzetti Ti, Gaulzetti SS prototype, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Ridley XFire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Its expensive but I love the Kurt Kinetic rock and roll . The fluid unit is mounted on rubber bushings giving a more lifelike ride with motion. Makes it far easier to ride for long times when inclimate.
Off topic but does your KK R&R squeak when it rocks?
Tried everything to make it not squeak, it's really getting to me now.
Old 09-20-10, 11:23 AM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Rock and Roll won't really work for me. I don't train on any of my road bikes, I have a cut up old Schwinn I train on. I made the geometry the same as my road bikes, but there is no fork anymore.

That Lemond thing looks cool. Kinda like a low-tech velotron.
Old 09-20-10, 11:47 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
When we lived in Colorado, I would hike in a county park. There were mountain bikers all over the place. The first time it snowed a half-inch, it didn't matter how pretty the weather was after that, you didn't see another bike. But now, I get on here and other websites, and I read about people riding all winter up there. So I think a lot of the riding-outside issue is mental rather than physical. Anyway, I was hiking all summer up there, and in the winter, I hiked and snowshoed, and there were very few days when you couldn't do something outside. IF you wanted to.

It gets dark down here in the wintertime, too, and I just ordered me a new headlight. If I was in snowier areas, I'd be looking at a Puggsly. Those things are cool, and I'd rather go crunching through the snow at 8 mph than sit in a house spinning the pedals for 6 months.
Old 09-20-10, 01:18 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to ride outside as long as I can. I rode on New Years day last year, and there was still a foot or so of snow, and it was -20. It sucked pretty bad on my old Schwinn. The big problem is the daylight as I said before. Lights are cool, and all, but lets be honest it is allot more dangerous to ride at night, then ride in your basement. That's my big thing. That, and I want to take my training to the next level, and my Cat2 friend tells me I need 3-4 days a week 5-6hrs on the bike, just for base. That's allot of time riding at night, exposing yourself to danger.
Old 09-27-10, 03:21 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered a KK Road Machine from my LBS. Next I'll pickup a powertap. I can't wait to try my new trainer, and see if it is as good as all the bike weenies on the internet say it is. I'll be picking up the extra heavy flywheel from ebay soon too.
Old 09-27-10, 03:34 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by OCLV Assassin
That, and I want to take my training to the next level, and my Cat2 friend tells me I need 3-4 days a week 5-6hrs on the bike, just for base. That's allot of time riding at night, exposing yourself to danger.
Are you planning to do 5-6 hrs/day for 3-4 days a week on the trainer? I think I'd want to kill myself after a week of that.
Old 09-27-10, 04:28 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wet a wife THat will make all your winters interesting
Old 09-28-10, 05:14 AM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Are you planning to do 5-6 hrs/day for 3-4 days a week on the trainer? I think I'd want to kill myself after a week of that.
It's not something you just start doing right out of the gate. Your best to slowly start adding more, and more time each day. That is just for base too, so I'm not supposed to be going hard for that amount of time or anything, plus I'll be braking it up doing a couple hours in the am before work, and the rest after work. By December higher intensity shorter rides get phased in, and there will be weight training as well. I'm told this is what I need to do to achieve my goals.

Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Wet a wife THat will make all your winters interesting
That's the most counterproductive advise I've ever been presented with thanks.

Last edited by Soloist Assassin; 09-28-10 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-28-10, 08:42 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not go with a speed/cad sensor, heart rate monitor for your Garmin 500 with WKO+ instead of a wired powertap wheel? Seems like that combined with the KK chart would pretty much give you a good deal of info for less $. I guess the heavier flywheel might throw that chart off? Why get the heavier flywheel anyway?
Old 09-28-10, 08:46 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, if you're going to be riding indoors so much, why not ditch the schwinn and get some cheap aluminum bike with better geometry to use on the trainer?
Old 09-28-10, 01:47 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Why not go with a speed/cad sensor, heart rate monitor for your Garmin 500 with WKO+ instead of a wired powertap wheel? Seems like that combined with the KK chart would pretty much give you a good deal of info for less $. I guess the heavier flywheel might throw that chart off? Why get the heavier flywheel anyway?
It's funny you said that. I actually just ordered the speed/cad sensor for the Garmin yesterday. As far as the powertap goes, I am going to buy whatever I can get used the cheapest when the time comes. I actually saw a wireless version for like $400 the other day on ebay. As for the heavy flywheel this is taken from their site:

Make your Road Machine or Rock and Roll the most versitile trainer you can find with the addition of a Pro Flywheel. The Pro Flywheel is perfect for hardcore endurance workouts, like tempo and long slow distance rides. Plus, with a cost down time of 60 seconds and a slower accelleration you will notice an increased realism and a more "Road Like Feel".

That's sounds exactly like what I want for the long base miles days. If I get it, and I like it w/o I won't bother, and save the extra money for the PT, but I am skeptical. Lots of people buy it and like it.

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Also, if you're going to be riding indoors so much, why not ditch the schwinn and get some cheap aluminum bike with better geometry to use on the trainer?
I have more road bikes. I use the Schwinn to keep wear and tear off of the real road bikes. Plus I cut the fork off to save space, and when I train I set the bottom of the drops on top of my bar of my weight bench to support it. It works quite well. The geometry is the same as my road bikes anyway. I cut, and welded the seatpost, and made it laid back to match the geometry. Not to mention it is old, and simple. The BB has standard ball bearings, that are easily serviceable. Did I mention I got it for free too. It will be getting a new saddle now this winter. Specialized came out with a new Carbon Toupe, so my current one on my Cervelo that I love will become part of the trainer rig.
Old 09-28-10, 01:48 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out the Lemond Revolution:

https://www.lemondfitness.com/product...n-bike-trainer

Old 09-28-10, 02:14 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to page 1.
Old 09-28-10, 06:20 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to ride outside as long as I can. I rode on New Years day last year, and there was still a foot or so of snow, and it was -20. It sucked pretty bad on my old Schwinn. The big problem is the daylight as I said before. Lights are cool, and all, but lets be honest it is allot more dangerous to ride at night, then ride in your basement. That's my big thing. That, and I want to take my training to the next level, and my Cat2 friend tells me I need 3-4 days a week 5-6hrs on the bike, just for base. That's allot of time riding at night, exposing yourself to danger.
Is it more dangerous to ride outside than in your basement? Sure!! I have to tell you though, I got lights 2+ years ago, and have not looked back since. Streets are much quieter, far less traffic (lucky if I see 4-5 cars in 2 hr rides), and I can see and hear every car coming in any direction from pretty far, which is something I cannot do during the day. Most people that have never ridden at night say the same thing you just said until they do it themselves for a bit. There is a learning curve and a comfort curve too, but you get used to it very easily. The worst part is getting up , and getting used to going to bed early to be able to get up consistently.

I live in south FL, and I have been doing quite a bit of climbing since the sumer thanks to some trips I have taken. Now, I don't want to loose the base of riding mountains in addition to the fact that I found it "fun". I have refused to buy a trainer given that the only weather I won't ride in here is hurricane force wind and torrential rain. Quite frankly, the only benefit this freaking state has is the weather. In any case, I am very seriously considering to get a Tacx Fortius and a few of the mountain DVD to use regularly in the garage 1-2/week. More if I am gearing up to do some ride that involves climbing. The LeMond trainer above seems like a good alternative, but I've used trainers before and it was extremely painful to sit in one for more than 45 min. At least the Fortius has an interactive part to it that hopefully will keep you motivated. Is it expensive? Sure, it is. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that as it is your money ultimately.
Old 09-28-10, 07:51 PM
lovestoride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one thing you can do besides jsut riding a trainer is alot of running, i've noticed that if i run all winter i start in the spring with a really strong base, and i need to run anways so it just saves me time hahaha (i wrestle so i need to consistantly lose 15 pounds and still have strong aerobic strength and like weight lifting strength. seriusly i view losing weight in the summer as off season, 5 pounds is nothing for a climbing race)
Old 09-28-10, 08:01 PM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
You're in Ohio? Why don't you just ride outside all winter?
You're nuts.

Have you ever been in Ohio in the winter? It gets down to -20s on occasion, and snow. The big problem for me is daylight. I work 9-6 mon-sat. So soon I will have none.
Daylight really disappears over fall/winter....just this morning, I realized that I couldn't really get rolling (I have wimpy lights) until around 8:00.

Originally Posted by wens
I'm in the snow belt. Riding outside on a road bike in the winter isn't happening a significant portion of the time.
Correctamundo.
Old 09-29-10, 05:34 AM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Is it more dangerous to ride outside than in your basement? Sure!! I have to tell you though, I got lights 2+ years ago, and have not looked back since. Streets are much quieter, far less traffic (lucky if I see 4-5 cars in 2 hr rides), and I can see and hear every car coming in any direction from pretty far, which is something I cannot do during the day. Most people that have never ridden at night say the same thing you just said until they do it themselves for a bit. There is a learning curve and a comfort curve too, but you get used to it very easily. The worst part is getting up , and getting used to going to bed early to be able to get up consistently.

I live in south FL, and I have been doing quite a bit of climbing since the sumer thanks to some trips I have taken. Now, I don't want to loose the base of riding mountains in addition to the fact that I found it "fun". I have refused to buy a trainer given that the only weather I won't ride in here is hurricane force wind and torrential rain. Quite frankly, the only benefit this freaking state has is the weather. In any case, I am very seriously considering to get a Tacx Fortius and a few of the mountain DVD to use regularly in the garage 1-2/week. More if I am gearing up to do some ride that involves climbing. The LeMond trainer above seems like a good alternative, but I've used trainers before and it was extremely painful to sit in one for more than 45 min. At least the Fortius has an interactive part to it that hopefully will keep you motivated. Is it expensive? Sure, it is. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that as it is your money ultimately.
What you say about night riding makes allot of sense. I have always wanted to get some good lights and ride at night a little bit, but realistically there are usually two months out of the year at least that the roads are covered in snow, and salt. The problem right now is daylight, but soon the problem will be daylight, road conditions, and weather. When it's that bad, you can be hardcore, and brave the weather, but with all that working against you all the time, it's hard to focus on the ride. It's just not realistic to be able to ride year round here, so it's good to be prepared and ready early. Hell I just rode my crappy trainer for 2hrs just now. It's been miserable and raining for the last couple days, so I watched a movie the best I could with my noisy trainer, and rode. I can't wait for my KK to get here.

As for you pondering the TACX Fortius. I went to the local YMCA with a friend the other day. They had several different types of exercise bikes there. Including a recumbent VR setup that looked similar to the TACX screen shots. In all honesty it was a gadget, and a poor one at that. The best thing I found about it was the power meter that was built in. Which I will have once I get the PT. While it would be cool for a few times a week hard efforts trying to beat a particular record time on a course. I couldn't see it entertaining me for several hours a day doing base miles. I would say save your money, and buy a KK and a Spinervals Hillacious DVD.

Thanks MM, some of these guys have no idea what winter in Ohio is like it seems.