Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace 7402/7700 Shifting Issues - Should I switch to downtube shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 05:30 PM
jimbossa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

I have a Shimano Dura Ace 8-speed groupset paired with 7700 9-speed shifters that worked for over a decade. A month or two ago, my right shifter started having problems shifting into the smallest cog. Fearing the fate that befell the original 8-speed STI shifters, I took my bike to the LBS who told me the shifters were cooked.

I sourced a replacement set of used 7700 shifters and the LBS have told me that they also don't work. I wanted to consult the forum to see if there were things I should check with my rear derailleur as it seems odd that two shifters would both have the same issues or if I just had really bad luck.

Also curious if anyone had a set of Dura Ace 8-speed downtube shifters and/or Dura Ace aero levers from the same period as I'm beginning to lean toward going back to downtube shifters as they are probably more bomb-proof and less finicky.
Old 03-24-21, 05:48 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I've used 7700 and 7900 downtube shifters extensively. Highly recommended when matched with the appropriate cassette.
Old 03-24-21, 06:31 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbossa
I have a Shimano Dura Ace 8-speed groupset paired with 7700 9-speed shifters that worked for over a decade. A month or two ago, my right shifter started having problems shifting into the smallest cog. Fearing the fate that befell the original 8-speed STI shifters, I took my bike to the LBS who told me the shifters were cooked.

I sourced a replacement set of used 7700 shifters and the LBS have told me that they also don't work. I wanted to consult the forum to see if there were things I should check with my rear derailleur as it seems odd that two shifters would both have the same issues or if I just had really bad luck.

Also curious if anyone had a set of Dura Ace 8-speed downtube shifters and/or Dura Ace aero levers from the same period as I'm beginning to lean toward going back to downtube shifters as they are probably more bomb-proof and less finicky.
It shouldn't work- 8 speed DA is a different pull ratio from 9 speed DA.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-24-21, 06:37 PM
jimbossa

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
It shouldn't work- 8 speed DA is a different pull ratio from 9 speed DA.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

Funnily enough, I used Sheldon Brown's site back in 2009 when I first had to source replacements for the 8-speed STI shifters. If you see from the table, any 9-speed shifter works with the 8-speed cassette. I also had a working setup for over a decade, just unsure if I got hit by a series of bad luck recently.
Old 03-24-21, 06:43 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Funnily enough, I used Sheldon Brown's site back in 2009 when I first had to source replacements for the 8-speed STI shifters. If you see from the table, any 9-speed shifter works with the 8-speed cassette. I also had a working setup for over a decade, just unsure if I got hit by a series of bad luck recently.
What derailleur are you using?

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-24-21, 06:46 PM
jimbossa

What derailleur are you using?
Shimano Dura Ace 7402 8-speed rear derailleur
Old 03-24-21, 06:59 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
90% chance your shifters just need flushed.

When I worked at a shop, it wasn't encouraged to do because they'd rather I upsell a set of brifters.

I was taught to use Boeshield T9 in the aerosol. Spray the crap out of the mechanism while you run through the clicks each way. T9, as told to me at least, works well becaues it has a solvent to soften up the old dried grease and leaves a teflon residue. Other people I've heard do a degreaser flush, then T9 or another spray lube.
Old 03-24-21, 06:59 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I have 7700 STIs working really well with a 7402 rear derailleur on one of my Merckx bikes. It has an 8 speed cassette and chain.
Old 03-24-21, 07:01 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I bought some new Dura Ace 9spd downtube shifters off wiggle about 5 years ago. I think they have been discontinued but should be still available somewhere at an inflated price. Those will last for ever. That would be my pick. Sunrace makes 9spd DT shifters too for cheap option.
Old 03-24-21, 07:01 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Shimano Dura Ace 7402 8-speed rear derailleur
It shouldn't work, 8 speed DA derailleurs have a different pull ratio from 9 speed shifters- regardless of cassette.

If you see from the table, any 9-speed shifter works with the 8-speed cassette.
I didn't notice when you posted it before- but the chart shows that 9 speed shifters will not work with an 8 speed cassette, nor an 8 speed derailleur. That's why the "9 speed shifter" box is white instead of yellow.

As to how it was working before... maybe you had the cable routed improperly, maybe there was just enough slop in the system that the Centeron pulley corrected enough for you...

(the only reason I pay any attention to this stuff was trying to figure out why Suntour Accushift stuff works with some Shimano components and not others)

Old 03-24-21, 07:25 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
It shouldn't work, 8 speed DA derailleurs have a different pull ratio from 9 speed shifters- regardless of cassette.

I didn't notice when you posted it before- but the chart shows that 9 speed shifters will not work with an 8 speed cassette, nor an 8 speed derailleur. That's why the "9 speed shifter" box is white instead of yellow.

As to how it was working before... maybe you had the cable routed improperly, maybe there was just enough slop in the system that the Centeron pulley corrected enough for you...

(the only reason I pay any attention to this stuff was trying to figure out why Suntour Accushift stuff works with some Shimano components and not others)
Check shimano tech docs. They are listed sl-7700 9 speed or sl-7400 8 speed same part.
Interchangeable.
They where designed that way.
Old 03-24-21, 07:35 PM
jimbossa

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
90% chance your shifters just need flushed.

When I worked at a shop, it wasn't encouraged to do because they'd rather I upsell a set of brifters.

I was taught to use Boeshield T9 in the aerosol. Spray the crap out of the mechanism while you run through the clicks each way. T9, as told to me at least, works well becaues it has a solvent to soften up the old dried grease and leaves a teflon residue. Other people I've heard do a degreaser flush, then T9 or another spray lube.
I tried flushing out the first set of 7700 shifters but unfortunately no luck. Will try with the second set too but unfortunately not too confident.

Originally Posted by Soody
I bought some new Dura Ace 9spd downtube shifters off wiggle about 5 years ago. I think they have been discontinued but should be still available somewhere at an inflated price. Those will last for ever. That would be my pick. Sunrace makes 9spd DT shifters too for cheap option.
I'm leaning towards going downtube shifters too but figured if I'm going downtube, might as well go period correct and try for Dura Ace 8-speed ones. Irrespective, downtube shifters and aero levers appear harder and harder to procure/find. Will give the SunRace ones a look.
Old 03-24-21, 07:35 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
Any Shimano SIS 9 speed shifter will work with an 8 speed 740X rear derailleur when used with an 8 speed cassette. The shifter doesn't even need to be dura ace. 9 speed SIS and 8 speed DA pull the same amount of cable.
Old 03-24-21, 07:42 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts

I have been using them for a decade. The right shifter is starting to go at 30000 miles. Mine would still work good if I chose to use the index function. But for me the friction mode is better.
Dura ace brake levers are hard to get. 105 and 6400 are o.k.
If you have 7400 single pivots I recommend 105 non aero levers. Best quality Shimano component I ever bought and v brake power.
A long pull but 1 finger from any speed.
​​​​​​
Old 03-24-21, 08:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Shimano bar-end shifters are still pretty easy to find, mostly catering to tri-folk before electronic shifting, and should work, if you don't mind that setup vs brifters or downtube shifters.

I have an 8-speed Ultegra bar-end setup on one hybrid with Nitto albatross swept bars, and a 10-speed Dura Ace set cannibalized from an old time trial bike with cracked frame. That DA bar-end set will soon go on a newish carbon fiber road bike as a compromise road/TT bike, since I'm not gonna spend money on a dedicated TT/tri-bike. It'll be fine for the occasional use of aero bars for as long as my cranky old neck can tolerate it -- about a minute at a time before neck spasms set in. The Shimano bar-end shifters can be used in index or friction mode (RD only, I think the left/front derailleur shifters are all friction only), and I've used 'em both ways, no problems. Very simple setup compared with Shimano STI brifters, should outlast me.

MicroShift brifters are an economical alternative. Not as elegant as Shimano but functional. I've used a set of older MicroShift R7 brifters on a couple of bikes for the past two years, no problems with 7-speed Deore LX RD and 8-speed 600 Tricolor Ultegra (on a 7-speed cassette). The MicroShift technically aren't "brifters" (and at least one BF mechanic hates that term anyway), because the brake and shift levers are completely separate. But they work fine, if a bit plasticky and clunky sounding.
Old 03-24-21, 08:19 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
My ultegra right brifter was acting up, replaced the cable, flushed out a tiny piece of cable strand w ATF and an air gun, works like new. Don’t try to take it apart.
Old 03-24-21, 08:26 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
by the way the new 9 speed DA i mentioned aren't DA pull they're just regular 9spd pull so should work if you find them. MFG until recently so should be available new. I know DT shifters are bombproof but they also kind of aren't, the indent rings do lose crispness. New ones are nice.