Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 10:46 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
That is seriously cool! I hadn't remembered or thought about Bike Beat for ages! Don't know much about them other than that I think they were a SoCal shop that had some frames made for them. That's probably a pretty rare bike there! Super jealous!
I'm not sure when the Bike Beat shut down but I keep looking for info. If anyone can help with details I'd appreciate it.

The shop is mentioned in this MBA article from 1991:
"Bike Beat in Orange County was one of the premier bike shops in the country and certainly the Los Angeles. There was a close relationship between MBA and Bike beat and according to Doug many bikes that were sent to MBA for test reviews came back adorned with Bike Beat decals."

The Bike Beat bike shop decal

As the bike sits right now. Still looking at different tires.

Old 06-09-23, 07:10 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I had an 10sp XT/XTR groupset laying around so decided to put it on my ParkPre. Then I topped it off with a new handlebar and tires.

1995 ParkPre Pro 825 w/ Tange Prestige fork
10sp XT Groupset with XTR Rear Derailleur
Suntour XC Pro Brake Levers with Shimano 700cx Brakes
XTR M910 Hubs laced to Mavic 20i rims.
Schwalbe Billy Bonkers 26x2.1 Tires
SQLAB 310 680mm Handlebar (130mm stem)
Only original parts left are the seat clamp and headset.

Without the bags, the complete bike weighs just over 24lbs for a 21" frame. Not bad for a steel frame and fork.

Excellent and nice built This generation of XT is among the most durable better than the 11 or 12 speeds
Old 06-17-23, 02:15 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Fresh tires for the '85 830.

Old 06-18-23, 04:26 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Sedgemop , that Trek 830 looks purposeful; good-looking example. And in need of a step-ladder, as tall as that thing is. Dang. My puny leg'd have troubles, lacking a step up.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-19-23, 10:05 PM
ElGenerale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Is it weird?

Originally Posted by Portlandjim

The first bike was one I built for my ex wife in 1981. I used it for some advertising photos, I changed a few parts after I built it. More photos here, including one of the ad photos: https://goo.gl/photos/gDU1y2W44oyTkDhR6

Both of these bikes are in my collection. Jim Mer
No idea who your ex is, but I have the hots for her old bike. Is that weird?
Old 06-19-23, 10:31 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Sedgemop , that Trek 830 looks purposeful; good-looking example. And in need of a step-ladder, as tall as that thing is. Dang. My puny leg'd have troubles, lacking a step up.
Thanks, Clyde. It's all the mountain bike I need. Seen a good amount of Iowa gravel in the past year and it did great. And, yes, I'm long legged.
Old 06-19-23, 10:34 PM
ElGenerale

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MykGrant
Mid 90's Trek 8700 Carbon Composite hardtail. Phil hubs, zoom tube. Not sure what else. Once I give it a proper wash, lube and air it up I can post pics. Was so dusty that I just hit it with a hose.
93 came with Bullseye hubs I think, so a switch to Phil is an interesting jump from one boutique hub to another.
Old 06-23-23, 12:11 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 192 Posts
I decided to take a break from three-speeds for commuting and sell my Triumph. Looking for more of an all-rounder with nice range of gearing, I took to BF to see what others have done with older MTBs, and I was intrigued!

Enter this...whatever it is. Fun colours, right?

It has a Florida beach bike shop sticker on the head tube. Chromoly frame, made in Taiwan, good condition Japanese parts, Shimano SIS front and rear, Sakae triple, Sansin hubs, Araya rims. I think it saw very little use, it is in excellent shape - clean. It came with no-name knobbies and I replaced with Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass tires to see what everyone is talking about. Picked up some fenders, I had the rack in my bin, and the saddle came off of my old three-speed commuter. Still dialing in the saddle position, but I'm having a lot of fun with this bike. The tires (they do feel great) remind very much of the Panaracer Col de la Vie 38mm, so I while I wasn't blown away by the difference between these at 52mm or so and my road bike tires because of my three-speed experience, these are still really excellent tires if you're after comfort and speed - they really transform the bike. We'll see how they stand up to our broken asphalt, dirt paths, and the random vagaries of a city commute. So far I'm having a ton of fun rediscovering why I had MTBs as a kid in the late 90s.

PXL_20230622_162403411

Last edited by Ged117; 06-23-23 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 05:39 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
So far I'm having a ton of fun
By any chance is there a T through an R under the stickers on the head tube?
Old 06-27-23, 07:49 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
I decided to take a break from three-speeds for commuting and sell my Triumph. Looking for more of an all-rounder with nice range of gearing, I took to BF to see what others have done with older MTBs, and I was intrigued!

It has a Florida beach bike shop sticker on the head tube. Chromoly frame, made in Taiwan, good condition Japanese parts, Shimano SIS front and rear, Sakae triple, Sansin hubs, Araya rims. I think it saw very little use, it is in excellent shape - clean. It came with no-name knobbies and I replaced with Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass tires to see what everyone is talking about. Picked up some fenders, I had the rack in my bin, and the saddle came off of my old three-speed commuter. Still dialing in the saddle position, but I'm having a lot of fun with this bike. The tires (they do feel great) remind very much of the Panaracer Col de la Vie 38mm, so I while I wasn't blown away by the difference between these at 52mm or so and my road bike tires because of my three-speed experience, these are still really excellent tires if you're after comfort and speed - they really transform the bike. We'll see how they stand up to our broken asphalt, dirt paths, and the random vagaries of a city commute. So far I'm having a ton of fun rediscovering why I had MTBs as a kid in the late 90s.

PXL_20230622_162403411
These are very cool frame colours! Kudos!
Old 06-27-23, 08:02 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts

I never really thought about my Klein Attitude as being all that old. 23years plus. I pulled it out of storage to start back mountain biking. I will be a strange sight to many😏
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 06-27-23, 12:36 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
By any chance is there a T through an R under the stickers on the head tube?
I checked and nope. I can't find any identifying marks.

Originally Posted by Positron400
These are very cool frame colours! Kudos!
Thanks, kind of bizarre stickers, but I do like the red and white. It matches the tires well too.
Old 06-28-23, 09:41 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts

It has a Florida beach bike shop sticker on the head tube.
Ron Jon Surf Shop?
Old 06-28-23, 10:15 AM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts
Finally got around to doing something with the frameset that I purchased eight months ago. It was a quick build using a few parts already on hand as a jumping off point. As for the parts that I still needed to complete a bike, I sourced those locally over a period of a couple days. I like the results a lot. It covers all my needs right now. Comfort. Ride quality. Fun factor. Utility. I envision a few mechanical and aesthetic upgrades over time, but until then there's plenty here to enjoy as is.

1985 Trek 830

Crank - Sugino VP 44/26t
Bottom Bracket - Sakae SR
Derailleurs - Suntour XCE rear, Mountech front
Freewheel - Suntour Alpha 13-15-17-21-23-26-30t 7-spd
Chain - Sram PC850
Shift Levers - Suntour Power Shifters
Brakes - Dia Compe 983 cantilevers, Kool Stop pads, Dia Compe SS-4 levers
Pedals - Generic alloy
Headset - OEM Trek
Bar - Generic alloy swept back
Stem - Nitto two bolt dirt drop
Hubs - Suntour XC 9000
Rims- Ritchey Vantage
Tires - Gravelking 26 x 2.10
Seat Post - Suntour XC
Saddle - Brooks C15 Cambium
Rack and Bottle Cage - Blackburn

Old 06-28-23, 12:28 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
[...]

PXL_20230622_162403411
Looks good, whatever it is. What is the serial number? That might provide a clue, via T-Mar's Asian Serial Number guide.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 06-28-23, 01:59 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Enter this...whatever it is. Fun colours, right? ... So far I'm having a ton of fun rediscovering why I had MTBs as a kid in the late 90s.
It is pretty amazing, what a good-quality, somewhat slack-angled example of the 1980s and 1990s can mean for great ride quality and nimble handling. There's good reason why the early Stump Jumper bikes (and other similar models) were so roundly lauded. Great machines.

Hey, Ged117 : How are you finding those ReneHerse Rat Trap Pass tires, by the way. As smooth, light and plush as you've heard of? Take them much off-pavement?
Old 06-29-23, 09:54 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by Dirt Road Blues
Finally got around to doing something with the frameset that I purchased eight months ago. It was a quick build using a few parts already on hand as a jumping off point. As for the parts that I still needed to complete a bike, I sourced those locally over a period of a couple days. I like the results a lot. It covers all my needs right now. Comfort. Ride quality. Fun factor. Utility. I envision a few mechanical and aesthetic upgrades over time, but until then there's plenty here to enjoy as is.

1985 Trek 830

Crank - Sugino VP 44/26t
Chain - Sram PC850
Pedals - Generic alloy
Headset - OEM Trek
Hubs - Suntour XC 9000
Rims- Ritchey Vantage
Seat Post - Suntour XC
Rack and Bottle Cage - Blackburn

Nice, functional build on your 830, man. These things are fun, versatile riders. Posted my version of the 830, above. It's a little different from yours. Mine got built up as an '84 with a Reynolds 501 frame instead of the True Temper. Always like seeing variations of the same bike.
Old 06-29-23, 04:05 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Nice, functional build on your 830, man. These things are fun, versatile riders. Posted my version of the 830, above. It's a little different from yours. Mine got built up as an '84 with a Reynolds 501 frame instead of the True Temper. Always like seeing variations of the same bike.
Hey, thanks! I saw your 830 and can easily reciprocate the compliment. A straight forward and honest bike. I imagine its a nice ride too. I had a 510 sports tourer once that was built with 501 Reynolds. Good tubes! As far I know I've never ridden a True Temper frame before so I didn't know what I might expect for ride quality when i decided to build my 830. After cruising around town a bit, and a short day on some single track, I have zero complaints.

I was impressed that you also chose gravelkings for your Trek. I ran a pair on a road bike before and was happy with them, but I'm finding that their performance really shines in wider widths, and off pavement. Great tire for an early ATB.

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 06-29-23 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 06:52 PM
Ged117 

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Ron Jon Surf Shop?
Yes!! I googled and it turns out that's a New York City bike shop?! Odd. Was this common back in the day?

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Looks good, whatever it is. What is the serial number? That might provide a clue, via T-Mar's Asian Serial Number guide.
Thanks, it has a certain charm to it and looks real early '90s to me. Good point on the serial number - I'll grab it.

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
It is pretty amazing, what a good-quality, somewhat slack-angled example of the 1980s and 1990s can mean for great ride quality and nimble handling. There's good reason why the early Stump Jumper bikes (and other similar models) were so roundly lauded. Great machines.

Hey, Ged117 : How are you finding those ReneHerse Rat Trap Pass tires, by the way. As smooth, light and plush as you've heard of? Take them much off-pavement?
The tires are excellent. Being so new I've only taken it off road once since setting it up (otherwise, all my rides have been broken pavement or MUP to work and back). I went for a short day ride to the west end which has some good dirt / country paths and some gravel bits too. I run the tires at 35ish pounds front and back - I weigh about 200 pounds - open to other experiences, folks suggest the sweet spot is in the 30-35PSI range, but they are certainly plush and make a great sound. I couldn't decide between the Rat Trap slicks and non-slick Gravel Kings, because I plan to take it off pavement often enough, so we'll see how it goes in terms of durability. I found a Shimano dynamo hub on ebay for a great price - I plan to run some lamps so I can have it out in the bush and not worry about batteries coming home late. Nothing serious, just country / dirt paths. I've been on road bikes for years, so this is a fun shift in cycling for me.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 06-29-23, 07:07 PM
Sedgemop 

Hey, thanks! I saw your 830 and can easily reciprocate the compliment. A straight forward and honest bike. I imagine its a nice ride too. I had a 510 sports tourer once that was built with 501 Reynolds. Good tubes! As far I know I've never ridden a True Temper frame before so I didn't know what I might expect for ride quality when i decided to build my 830. After cruising around town a bit, and a short day on some single track, I have zero complaints.

I was impressed that you also chose gravelkings for your Trek. I ran a pair on a road bike before and was happy with them, but I'm finding that their performance really shines in wider widths, and off pavement. Great tire for an early ATB.
Thanks, man. Yeah, these new Gravel Kings haven't seen much off road use yet. Been commuting on them the past couple weeks and these tires are nice on the beat up Chicago streets. I'll report back once they've seen summer gravel action. I'm sure they'll be great, though.
Old 06-30-23, 10:20 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts

1985 Trek 830

Crank - Sugino VP 44/26t
Chain - Sram PC850
Pedals - Generic alloy
Headset - OEM Trek
Hubs - Suntour XC 9000
Rims- Ritchey Vantage
Seat Post - Suntour XC
Rack and Bottle Cage -
Great looking bike! I put a set of those Gravel Kings on my recent High Sierra build. They have the perfect vintage vibe on your bike. I so far like how they ride, and they are light for their size. My only beef is with the cost. They were $75 each when I got mine, a real budget buster for a budget build. But what’re you gonna do when you’re in love . . . 😀
Old 07-03-23, 04:12 PM
scrandalla

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
‘94 Rockhopper Sport

Is this vintage? 1994 Rockhopper Sport - stock, all original. Been riding it since I purchased it new (in ‘94). Great bike. It’s been around the Slick Rock Trail a few times, up and down mountains, through canyons, and over lots of gravel. It’s a great workhorse - nearly indestructible. Will never give it up.

Last edited by scrandalla; 07-03-23 at 04:16 PM.
Likes For scrandalla:
Old 07-03-23, 05:13 PM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by scrandalla
Is this vintage? 1994 Rockhopper Sport - stock, all original. Been riding it since I purchased it new (in ‘94). Great bike. It’s been around the Slick Rock Trail a few times, up and down mountains, through canyons, and over lots of gravel. It’s a great workhorse - nearly indestructible. Will never give it up.
Yeah, you're in. Welcome. Had one of these and rode it everywhere. It was a solid trail rider and commuter. Got stolen, of course. Like every other mountain bike I had in the 90's
Old 07-03-23, 08:00 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 3,739 Times in 1,837 Posts
Just picked this up - Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro, as bought. Can't find another in this color on the interwebs.
edit: partt codes should make it a 1989 or 1990? MT60 crank. Deore DX RD650

Last edited by SoCaled; 07-03-23 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 07-03-23, 08:27 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Post that ^^^^^ in the "July is multi-color month" thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.